• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Next Best Thing

Saph~

Serebii Champion x.x
Voting for JesusFreak. What a champion

ger9119

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature/Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Pursuit
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam/Ice Punch

SubPunch/Wall Breaker Tyranitar. This works best with an Encore Trapper like a Wobbufett. Encore a defog user and switch, either sub up or Pursuit on the switch. Ice Beam can be used to stop Lando-T, while you can always go Jolly with a full Physical Attacking set.

248.png
Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 HP / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Punch

This is something we don't see much anymore. CBTar is still a great Pokemon, even with the introduction of Fairies. It is capable of 2HKOing everything in the OU metagame that isn't a Fighting type or Mega Mawile. This set is hardly ever used anymore, but that alone doesn't make it worthy of being The Next Best Thing.

The thing about this set is the last moveslot; Thunder Punch. Thunder Punch lures in Keldeo, the most common Tyranitar switch in, and OHKOs it 100% of the time. You'll only get one shot at this, because as soon as you use it they will probably not switch in Keldeo again, whether it being due to the fact you killed Keldeo or they didn't switch into Keldeo. Prediction and an understanding of the opposing team is required to pull this off successfully. Thunder Punch also hits Skarmory pretty hard, but the only reason it gets a spot on this moveset is because of the ability to take out one of the biggest and most common threats in the OU metagame. And even if your opponent doesn't have Keldeo, you got something that hits almost any team insanely hard.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
This is Stalltar. Stalltar's main niche is that Toxic+Sand damage racks up very quickly. this helps take out pokemon quicker than just normally toxic stalling. It also has Taunt to shut down stall mons wanting to status it, which is very useful. It's kinda like an anti stall pokemon for a stall team. Stone Edge is just STAB that hits things with, speeding up the procces. Because Skarmory is becoming more of a defogger for stall now and that Heatran is dying down, SR is becoming rarer on stall. So I figured a stalling SR user with taunt would help a lot of stall teams, seeing as it stops threats to stall like Gyarados by preventing it from setting up past +1.

Using Pursuit over SE allows you to beat Espeon on a BP team then taunt the others, that's neat.

Last edited:

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
I don't know how common this is, but it works.
Tyranitar @ Shell Bell/Leftovers
Unnerve
252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk
-Roar/Dragon Tail
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Stealth Rock/Iron Head
Parashuffle Tyranitar. Works from behind a sub the entire time. It has some attacking options, in which case you would use Shell Bell, and for defensive options, Leftovers. If you run Dragon Tail, then Iron Head is there for those fairies.

TTar is best used when specially defensive. js

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
Sand Stream
252 HP / 68 Atk / 188 SpDef
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam/Crunch

Found this set, used it, and fell in love with it. This thing tanks hits like a pro, especially on the special side. It makes a great Rocks setter thanks to his great bulk, while still maintaining offensive pressure with the EdgeQuake combo. The last slot is for what you want to hit. Ice Beam hits dragons, Lando, and Gliscor for that sexy 4x damage. Oh, and this set hard walls Talonflame and checks unboosted Mega Pinsir. Thats always cool.

Things it eats up: YZards Solar Beam, LO Latios's Draco Meteor, Greninjas Surf, [insert any neutral special attack here]

Last edited:

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
I was so tempted to go with an Assault Vest T-Tar because it's so good, but I'm pretty sure those are running rampant through OU tier at present. I dunno how common this set is, though... hopefully not very. :p

Tyranitar @ Leftovers/Tyranitarite
Sand Stream
Adamant
252 HP/Def, 252 Att, 4 HP/Def
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge

The point behind this set is to punish the opponent for switching out as much as you can. Stone Edge acts as T-Tar's primary STAB, and Stealth Rock sets up a hazard to harm the foe for switching. You can choose between Toxic or Thunder Wave for status to ensure the opponent has an incentive for switching, and Pursuit is to further punish them for doing so. The item this guy holds really depends on which you feel is more important: self-healing or better stats overall, and personally I'd go for the Mega-evolution, since Mega T-Tar does pretty much the exact same things as regular T-Tar could. For EVs, I'd probably go with Defense over HP, or some sort of balance between the two, since its SpDef is already going to be massive enough with Sand boosting it.

There are three things off the top of my head that this set will have trouble with: Mega Absol, Conkeldurr, and Lucario. Mega Absol resists Pursuit and bounces back your Rocks and status effect, leaving you having to hope you can hit it with Stone Edge. Thankfully, even regular T-Tar should be able to handle a Play Rough and OHKO Mega Absol with Stone Edge so long as said Absol has no defensive EVs. Conkeldurr and Lucario, however, will pretty much force you to switch out; not only do they resist Stealth Rock and both your STABs, but Conkeldurr thrives off of being hit by Toxic thanks to its Guts ability, ensuring that if you run this set, you'll need a Conkeldurr counter. Furthermore, Lucario isn't hit by Sand damage and a special variant could likely come in when your sandstorm tapers off and crush you with an Aura Sphere. In fact just about any Fighting type would be difficult to handle, but those two in particular come to mind, so a strong Psychic, Flying, or Ghost type would be a good idea to carry to help handle them.

that's a standard ttar clone :$

Tyranitar @ Life Orb / Chople Berry
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Earthquake
- Earthquake / Ice Punch

Sweeper Tyranitar for teams that can't run Mega Ttar. Regular Tyranitar is too slow to effectively run a Dragon Dance set, and once offensive teams are sufficiently weakened a +0 potentially-Orbed Tyranitar will suffice to clean up. Rock Polish is the crux of the set; after one Tyranitar can outspeed everything up to and including a Timid Mega Manectric. More Speed EVs can feasibly be run if you want to outspeed certain Scarfers. Stone Edge is the primary STAB, getting excellent coverage on many key threats in the metagame. Crunch is secondary STAB and hits things like Gengar and the Lati twins for an OHKO, though Earthquake can be run in its place if you want more coverage. The last slot is your main coverage option, EQ hitting Heatran/Mawile and Ice Punch hitting Garchomp/Landorus-T.

This Tyranitar is best used as a late-game sweeper, taking advantage of teammates like Azumarill and Talonflame to weaken the Fighting-typed Pokemon that are major threats to this. Due to the lack of an Attack boosting move, teammates that can weaken bulky Waters and Fairies are also appreciated. Mega Venusaur works well for this.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
Sandstream
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Rock Polish
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Crunch

This is a set I have been using for a while now and it works wonders against things that don't carry STAB fighting type moves. I tried both 252 EV's in def instead of attack but the investment didn't do much as it is still easily OHKO'd by STAB CC from mons like heracross and infernape. However it can easily take a mach punch from infernape and conkeldurr. I personally use this set alongside sticky web galvantula and magic bounce dual screen espeon. the sticky web allows rock polish to work much better with adamant nature as it allows tyranitar to outspeed some fast threats like greninja after rock polish + sticky web even with adamant nature. the dual screens help take a super effective hit much easier. espeon is also good at deflecting rotom-W will-o-wisp who is arguably this set's worst enemy because one will-o-wisp is the end of this set.

I'm pretty sure he just thought you were calling his set a clone of a standard Tyranitar set, not that you were using shorthand for another user's name.

Not gonna lie, I made the same mistake, lol.

>Standard Set
>Has never faced that set in over 200 XY OU battles

Wat.

Because apparently I'm out of the loop or something...

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Stone edge
-Crunch/Earthquake
-Ice Punch

Most people say that Normal TTar with Dragon dance sucks. Not really. He may be slower and have less bulk than his mega, but he still poses a big threat. Just come in on anything that can't hurt him, then Dragon Dance on the switch. Chople Berry is there to eat up a fighting attack that would normally KO, and proceed to demolish that Pokémon with the correct move. Dragon Dance is self explanatory while Srone Edge is the most important STAB. Ice Punch hits dragons and Lando/Gliscor for super effective damage. The last move is between Earthquake and Crunch. Crunch is STAB that hits the Latis, but earthquake can be used to hit Aegislash without worrying about Kings Shield, as well as other steels and Rock types (Mainly Terrakion)

... I swear if this isn't allowed I'm quitting comp forever. I've only seen terrible players at the bottom of the ladder use this, and even then they don't use this set.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
is your name cloneblazer12?

Your set I think is pretty original, so I have a feeling it'll be cleared. IDK though.

Thanks :p Pretty much what Jesusfreak said, I thought you meant my set was a clone of a common T-Tar set.

Remember, commas are the difference between inviting the strippers, George Bush, and Stalin to your party versus inviting the strippers George Bush and Stalin to your party. ;D

>Standard Set
>Has never faced that set in over 200 XY OU battles

Wat.

Like half the teams higher up on the ladder are sand offense teams that use that exact set, but maybe with Focus Sash or Smooth Rock over Leftovers. Considering that sand offense is one of the better playstyles right now, I'm surprised that you haven't seen at least one lead Ttar.

Thanks :p Pretty much what Jesusfreak said, I thought you meant my set was a clone of a common T-Tar set.

Remember, commas are the difference between inviting the strippers, George Bush, and Stalin to your party versus inviting the strippers George Bush and Stalin to your party. ;D

I'm actually kind of a grammar Nazi in real life, so that was a bit of a fail moment for me :$

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 72 SAtk / 176 SDef / 44 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Roar

This is kinduva reaaaly old set, but what it does is it takes sp.def hits like a champ, sets up rocks and with its special coverage, surprises the usual things you'd want to surprise like Scizor and Landorus-T with Fire Blast and Ice Beam yknow, respectively. The cool part about this is that some of the time Tyranitar might be set up fodder for the likes of Azumarill or something so what you do is simply Roar them out if you REALLY feel a BD or whatever's comin at you. Also good for a surprise Roar that'd in general, I mean, alongside Rocks, shuffle the opposition around a bit and could net you that bit of damage you need.

im packin those commas btw

Last edited:
Alright everyone, time to vote for which Tyranitar set you think is the best / most innovative. The options are:

ger9119's SubPunch Set
The DragonKnight's CB Thunder Punch Set
Minedreigon's Taunt and Toxic Set
King Infernape the III's Para Shuffler Set
Oynx Tanuki's Status Set
The Imposter's Rock Polish Set
Greninja VI's Rock Polish + Weakness Policy Set
Cloneblazer12's Chople Dragon Dance Set
MetalSonic's Special Attacking Hazard Shuffler Set

Also, you guys can just say whose set you're voting for, you don't have to type out all the things I did : p

Voting ends on the 3rd