• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ninja PokeShowdown (032)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Aya seemed so bossy with how she was acting like she owned the Gym. Ash Vs. Koga was so disappointing though since it felt so abrupt.

Aya did seem really egocentric up until Koga came and put her in her place, though she had the best ninja costume of the two. :p

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I watched this episode again last night and noticed how 4kids left the Japanese writing on a scroll, had Team Rocket mention a Japanese restaurant and even kept the kabuki scene, which was a shock given how they loved editing Japanese things.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I watched this episode again last night and noticed how 4kids left the Japanese writing on a scroll, had Team Rocket mention a Japanese restaurant and even kept the kabuki scene, which was a shock given how they loved editing Japanese things.

It was probably done because of how this episode had so many Japanese things going on already, such as ninja, so 4Kids didn't want to bother hiding the Japanese themes.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Koga was a weak Gym Leader but boy did he have a cool Gym with traps which seemed like a funhouse. The TRio's kabuki motto performance scene had me laughing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Given how in the games Kyou was notorious for inflicting poisoned status in his battles, I'm slightly surprised that he wasn't using more attacks that poison his opponents. Not just that, but his ace Pokemon was underwhelming.

Fuchsia Gym looked dangerous and I wonder if anyone other than Ash could even find this Gym and actually survive its traps. Koga's team was bad. Golbat was a weak boss Pokemon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Fuchsia Gym looked dangerous and I wonder if anyone other than Ash could even find this Gym and actually survive its traps. Koga's team was bad. Golbat was a weak boss Pokemon.

We saw Saizou the Garagara trainer have a flashback that showed him winning Kyou's Gym Badge, so apparently he got past the traps.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
An underwhelming Gym Battle episode. I disliked Sleep Powder putting Pidgeotto to sleep after already being paralyzed by Stun Spore. TRio's sticky strings looked overpowered. Psyduck defeating them after ending up with a headache was cool, though.
6/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
An underwhelming Gym Battle episode. I disliked Sleep Powder putting Pidgeotto to sleep after already being paralyzed by Stun Spore. TRio's sticky strings looked overpowered. Psyduck defeating them after ending up with a headache was cool, though.
6/10

I felt as though the Rocket-dan's plan here was their best one so far since they had an advantage, and almost succeeded in stealing a lot of Pokemon before Koduck intervened.

gentwoer

It's time for another gym battle. Shame we won't get another one for 20+ episodes (in hindsight the anime should have spaced out the gap between Sabrina and Erika better. ) I like that Ash actually beat his opponent in battle to get a badge making this his second badge (out of six!) where he actually earned a badge. Though technically the match was two on two and Charmander only defeated Golbat and never defeated Venomoth. But whatever I'll take this over thanks for saving my Gloom here's a badge/that Haunter that was following you around made me laugh during a Pokemon battle even though that should have been automatic disqualification for outside interference here's a badge.

Another surprise from 4kids they actually used the word Kabuki instead of passing Team Rocket's costumers off as rock stars or clowns or something. Between that and giving Koga a Japanese accent I suppose they thought the episode was too Japanese to play it any other way (evidently South Korea thought so too)

Psyduck is soooo adorable and I felt so bad for it when Team Rocket didn't want it and was glad Misty warmed up to it. Even though like Brock said her feeling for Psyduck are pretty fickle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
gentwoer said:
Psyduck is soooo adorable and I felt so bad for it when Team Rocket didn't want it and was glad Misty warmed up to it. Even though like Brock said her feeling for Psyduck are pretty fickle.

Takeshi was right since Kasumi ended up disliking Koduck again as usual after this episode despite him saving the day.

Weird how the Fuchsia Gym wasn't actually in Fuchsia City and was kind of in a forest somewhere where people had a hard time even finding it. Koga was cool though even though his team needed to be stronger. Venomoth and Golbat seemed pretty weak compared to Weezing and Muk which I think he used in the games. I liked how Charmander won the match for Ash though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
Weird how the Fuchsia Gym wasn't actually in Fuchsia City and was kind of in a forest somewhere where people had a hard time even finding it.

It's strange that the writers decided to change its location like that in this episode since that meant that we wouldn't see the actual Sekichiku City until Advanced Generation when Satoshi and his group visited it in the time travel/Eievui hatching episode.

MockingJ

Banned
I liked how Psyduck ended up saving the day and proving that it can battle well. That made me really happy, as someone who really likes Misty's Psyduck.

I just hate how Psyduck only proved useful in this episode because of its headache. Limiting his character like that when he was already such a joke character felt like rubbing salt on a wound.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
I just hate how Psyduck only proved useful in this episode because of its headache. Limiting his character like that when he was already such a joke character felt like rubbing salt on a wound.

I also didn't appreciate how Koduck was given all that power, but could only use it when his mental stress levels were high. We knew all along that Kasumi's Koduck was different from others ever since she accidentally captured it, but I thought it was an odd decision to limit Koduck's usage of Psychic-type moves via what was essentially a gag.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Man I really wasn't here for Koga's team. Venomoth and Golbat are probably the least powerful Poison types in Gen 1, so seeing him use those instead of something more powerful like Nidoking felt really lame. I also didn't like Aya's attitude or the fact that the gym was outside of Fuchsia City.

As a fan of ninja and Poison Pokemon this episode was great for me even though I wished that Koga had more personality or was changed a little to make him more important like Sabrina. Aya was a cool kunoichi and I thought that the Gym's traps were really clever. I liked the scene where Team Rocket ended up getting stunned by the Voltorb traps and Charmander versus Golbat could've been better if Charmander had evolved during it. 8/10

Gym battle was lame but Koga is cool. It ranks 5th.
PSYDUCK SAVES THE DAY AND VENONAT
This is Maddie's first time as Meowth (besides EP018). Do you know when she stopped being credited as Adam?