• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Nintendo Wii Controllers? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

00shoe

Coral Eye Trainer
I have to say yay, and Im glad that they trying a different approach with this generation of consoles to make it more interactive, and innovative. And Im glad that they are trying to establish a different market instead competing against XBox and Song.

But Im just currious on how your wrists will feels after long hours of playing. As you have to constantly move ur have and wrists arround to move ur character.

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
Eh... I'm a little indifferent about this. While I applaude Nintendo for coming up with a new innovation in gameplay, I can't help but worry how extreme it's going to go about.

While I'm glad they made that GCN-like skin for the remote, and ports for the GCN controllers, I can't help but worry how the Revolution games themselves will carry out. If to play Smash Bros Revolution or the new Zelda game we have to swing a remote around like crazy it's going to be incredably akward. At this point I'm going to remain optimistic that the motion sensor will be optional for most games and that the controller can be used (much like most Nintendo DS games) for regular gameplay.

I agree with Yamato-san about the wirelessness. Are we actully going to have to buy batteries to power this thing or is there going to be a port to recharge it by an electric socket? Either way there's bound to be some poor fools whose remotes will fart out in a cruical moment of a game. I'm going to just cross my fingers and hope for this to be optionable as well.

Well I'm probably going to have a lot of people PO'ed at me and label me as a "n00b" for this post, I just thought it'd be nice to express my opinion. I'm pretty much already hated around the rest of the forums, so it's nothing I haven't heard before. >>;

Paradox

Irate Pirate
BTW Paradox GTA is only on ps2 and xbox.
I was replying to Shadowfax's comment

Game designers(more specifically 3rd party designers) are going to have to change their entire game setup to match the controller's layout. It'll be pretty difficult to play sports or racing games (popular among casuals believe me the only genres people in my school talk about, those and FPS's) companies that make those games like EA to change and are usually to lazy to change anything in their games. Those companies will probably just move to ps3 and 360 which offer a traditional control layout, (as weird shaped as ps3's controller may be) thats a huge chunk of the market swayed away from revolution. Nintendo's experiments will hurt them more than you can imagine
It will cost more and take much more time to produce those extra detailed graphics in the PS3 and XBox 360 games

W

WinterSnowblind

Psychic Wynaut said:
Hasn't anyone heard about the controller's motion sensors? Watch Ninetendo's press release. They mentioned realistic fishing games and stuff like that.

Yes, so far I can see it being awesome for little mini games, but I still can't imagine playing anything seriously for a great amount of time. I don't want to be playing Zelda by holding a remote and an analogue stick in the other hand.. it just seems uncomfortable and akward. I can't wait to see all the 10 year olds with arthritus.

Having fishing tournaments and sword fights with a bunch of friends is going to be great fun. But it's not something that's going to be great fun by yourself.

And yeah, companies COULD port just about any game to the system, but in doing so, they have to expect US to buy a million differenct accesories for the thing. It might be the cheapest console of the three, but in the long run we're going to end up paying a lot more for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WinterSnowblind

Latios said:
You know, they could just use the GCN controller for the old games. The GCN has all the buttons needed from the last generations (two extra).

And you're thinking of carpal tunnel. Swinging your hand around doesn't give you arthritis. And of couse it'll feel akward, keyword is that it's new.

Yes, I plan on buying a Revolution just so I can play all my old games.[/sarcasm]

V

Violent_Jirachi

I think all of you need to quit being so skeptical about something we know so little about. Yes, its different, and I understand that you ALL fear change for some ungodly reason. But get the hell over it. Why don't you just wait and see what happens instead of making yourselves sound like idiots trying to speculate, and then arguing over the speculation.

Its retarded, and it needs to stop. We don't need to turn the Nintendo Discussion into another D/P forum.

Jash Thor

Bringer of Lombax
I am incredibly excited for this controller. I love Nintendo, I just love them. This is awesome. It's just something so unique it will undoubtedly change the way many games are played.

But there is that lurking fear. But luckily they're coming out with that generic controller add-on. So what if you have to pay some extra money? Knowing Nintedo, it probably won't be much at all. I'm willing to shell out an extra 20 just to get the controller. I really have high hopes for this design.

Another Fan

Nothing Special
I love it. I think it will be awesome and don't get why everyone is complaining. If it was for two hands you would be moving a box around in vitual 3D space now because it isn't you can do much more things. And flip it on the side and you'll see that it can be a two hander. I think it will be fine. Yes, it looks like a remote but that doesn't mean it is bad. It just works best this way. And I really doubt it will be all gimmicks, just relax and wait a bit.

T

The Battousai

To Yamato-San innovation is not the same as gameplay and only recently nintendo is starting to fixate(sp) on it. Masterpieces like Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, and even Ocarina of time weren't made on innovation but just pure gaming, they wern't trying to be the next ipod, palm pilot, or other great innovations they were playing like they were supposed to play like a video game and not like the next big craze. Thats why games used to be so good back then. I used to go over my friends house and sit for hours each day playing his snes. Most games today unless their rpgs can't really keep you occupied till the next one is announced.
To Paradox game designers today are lazy. They would rather spend money than work for months creating a better game. How different is madden 05 than 06 not much just a few new features and thats it or NBAstreet than v2 you get the picture. Those companies also like the most popular console and these days nintendo is not to popular in the console area (can't say the same for their handhelds though :) ).

V

Violent_Jirachi

NiGHTS said:
The controller shell is not real. IGN threw that together to give an example of how it could look.

I for one like the controller... It seems interesting. I would like to see how it ends up though...

In the keynotes speech he said that there would be a "shell" for playing more conventional games. It won't look like the one at IGN, that's a mock up, as Nintendo hasn't revealed the actual one yet. Probably because its not finished being designed yet. But they are thinking ahead to compensate for the closed-mindedness that the current "hardcore" gamers seem to posess.

Violent_Jirachi said:
In the keynotes speech he said that there would be a "shell" for playing more conventional games. It won't look like the one at IGN, that's a mock up, as Nintendo hasn't revealed the actual one yet. Probably because its not finished being designed yet. But they are thinking ahead to compensate for the closed-mindedness that the current "hardcore" gamers seem to posess.

I never denied the exsitance of the shell, I am just saying that it was a mock up since no one had before I posted.

Anyway, I will definatly be switching between the shell and normal controller depending on the game.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I don't it but if it help boost the sale for revolution when come out I am all for it at least I can use the old game cube controler.

Solar Crimson

A Crimson Tide
Hmph. I'll have to trust Nintendo's judgement on this. I'm a bit skeptical. I mean, a remote?! You gotta be kidding!

On the other hand, a was skeptical on Wind Waker before it came out, and it turned out great.

P

Pikachu_4_president

Games are getting too damned boring guys, this could be a miracle in the works.

People are dissing the system because of the controller. Have you even played with the controller yet? The people who tested it have. And they say it is awesome.

mangod/pikachu

Volcano Trainer
This is awesome. Mario Party would be amazing and fun with this controller. However I can't really judge until I use it next year. I'm sure it will feel great. I just so weird,so different; I can't even imagine playing Super Smash Bros. 3 with this yet. I think I'll be using the gamecube controller when I'm playing the old downloaded games. I drool at the thought of a virtual Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

bob799

Cheese ^_^
i really dont think there will be need for many attachments. with the controller being what it is theres not that much more you could besides the attachments they have made for previus systems.
and yeah it is a mock up. and i want to say something. if you have been playing gamecube or playsation for like 5 months and no 64 then you go back to 64 the controller probably feels as weird as the revolutions will when you first get it.

L

LinksOcarina

heres how I look at it.

The controller looks different, will play different, and will be something we are all not used to. Let's be honest, people fear change sometimes. The problem is that the close mindedness of people will be trouble for the revolution.

But here are the facts. Motion sensor on the top, total wireless adaptation, simple desgin which can be used for EVERY game within the past 20 years, depending on the position of the controller I think, ports for the gamecube controller if you feel uncomfertable, an analong stick which helps with movement.

The innovation is there, and it blows Microsoft and Sony out of the water. Remember back at E3, all you heard was the technical specs of PS3 and 360 on how the system works and how it looks via graphical images. Yeah it looks good, but the main gripe I have with BOTH systems is that they are in it more for graphical quality and to appease the fans by being shallow and hokey in terms of gameplay, which is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF VIDEO GAMES.

Nintendo has always focused on the innovation and gameplay over the graphical quality. That is one reason they have the lowest 3rd party support. A lot of the 3rd parties pump out bad quality games for the other systems, littering their lineup of games. Although it makes it a bigger library for the PS2 and X-Box, half of them no one wants to play because we all know it sucks.

We know the first party games will be excellent, as always. The 3rd party is the problem, and I think this controller could be the solution. Looking at it, it IS the way for the middle of the road companies to deliver a quality game, as well as large companies (Capcom, THQ, EA, etc) to make games in a different way for the Revolution. Will it cost more to make a game the different way? I don't think so, because it will cost more for graphic quality over anything else.

I am a nintendo fanboy, but I own all 3 systems. I have a large library of games ranging from the old SNES to the Gamecube itself, with PSX and PS2 and X-Box in there as well. All of the systems have a strength and a weakness, and the problem with this though is that everyone focuses on one system (PS2 or X-BOX) as the superior system, and the case is that none of them are superior at all. Sales may be high for one, but it doesn't mean it's the best.

The new generation of systems will be interesting. 360 in 2 months, Revolution in 2006, and PS3 in 2007. Bottom line, the 5th age of video games is here, and it is going to be different for the nintendo fans thanks to this controller.

I am definitly for the controller, and I can't wait to play it.

T

The Battousai

What happend to Yamato-San and Paradox did I scare them off with my post.

BTW LinksOcarina ps3 comes out March 2006
link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3

scroll down to history and read thoroughly

Status
Not open for further replies.