• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Nintendo Wii Controllers? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyliansage

Orange Champion
I'm kinda divided on this one. I love how it looks, actually, and I can definitely see why it's supposed to feel comfortable, but I can't really imagine myself waving it around like a sword, mainly because I'd suck at it. :D If they let you have the option to choose to use the shell for all the games, then I think it'd be even better. The motion sensor part definitely intrigues me though. :)

W

WinterSnowblind

LinksOcarina said:
heres how I look at it.

The controller looks different, will play different, and will be something we are all not used to. Let's be honest, people fear change sometimes. The problem is that the close mindedness of people will be trouble for the revolution.

But here are the facts. Motion sensor on the top, total wireless adaptation, simple desgin which can be used for EVERY game within the past 20 years, depending on the position of the controller I think, ports for the gamecube controller if you feel uncomfertable, an analong stick which helps with movement.

The innovation is there, and it blows Microsoft and Sony out of the water. Remember back at E3, all you heard was the technical specs of PS3 and 360 on how the system works and how it looks via graphical images. Yeah it looks good, but the main gripe I have with BOTH systems is that they are in it more for graphical quality and to appease the fans by being shallow and hokey in terms of gameplay, which is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF VIDEO GAMES.

Nintendo has always focused on the innovation and gameplay over the graphical quality. That is one reason they have the lowest 3rd party support. A lot of the 3rd parties pump out bad quality games for the other systems, littering their lineup of games. Although it makes it a bigger library for the PS2 and X-Box, half of them no one wants to play because we all know it sucks.

We know the first party games will be excellent, as always. The 3rd party is the problem, and I think this controller could be the solution. Looking at it, it IS the way for the middle of the road companies to deliver a quality game, as well as large companies (Capcom, THQ, EA, etc) to make games in a different way for the Revolution. Will it cost more to make a game the different way? I don't think so, because it will cost more for graphic quality over anything else.

I am a nintendo fanboy, but I own all 3 systems. I have a large library of games ranging from the old SNES to the Gamecube itself, with PSX and PS2 and X-Box in there as well. All of the systems have a strength and a weakness, and the problem with this though is that everyone focuses on one system (PS2 or X-BOX) as the superior system, and the case is that none of them are superior at all. Sales may be high for one, but it doesn't mean it's the best.

The new generation of systems will be interesting. 360 in 2 months, Revolution in 2006, and PS3 in 2007. Bottom line, the 5th age of video games is here, and it is going to be different for the nintendo fans thanks to this controller.

I am definitly for the controller, and I can't wait to play it.

Again, I have to bring up one small fact. If it were Microsoft coming out with this idea of a remote for a controller, would any of you even try and learn about it before laughing it away as a bad idea? Honestly?

The people getting too hyped up here and hailing it like the second coming of christ, are just as bad as the ones who are dissing it without really knowing much about it.

And as for games being more innotive and original, I think it's going to suffer from the same problem as the DS has. Not enough games, and the ones it does have either don't take advantage of the features it has, or are just mini-game compliation type things. Nintendogs is the one truly innotive game I can name for the DS, and even then, how much of a game is it? Plus the DS was heavy, it was hard to use for more than 30 minutes without hurting your hand.. waving your arm around in the same way is going to be just as bad.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm totally agaisnt it, I'am trying to stay in the middle of the argument. But so far, I see more negatives with the remote idea than I can see positives.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Battousai

I may end up liking the controller when I use it but based on my speculation I don't think It'll be a great controller. No controller not even the n64's gave me this bad of a vibe from observing it. They also changed their whole layout so they'll have to create entirely new ways to play great games we have played for years. This change could simplify the game a whole lot or change the way its been played for the worst. The hack n'slash mini-game they showed at the TGS scared me, the great Legend of Zelda game series could be reduced to waving around a remote to kill zombies. I just can't handle that.

D

Dahamu

I think nintendo knows what it's doing. Remember they were the first one's to incorperate the analog stick, rumble feature and more.

This is what the shell might look like ( Picture here ), the "normal" controller but still having the ability of the pointer remote stays active. Which opens even more play oppurtunitys! So now you can stop explaining, cause now we have no reason to! All we can do now is enjoy!

T

The Battousai

Will all games (especially Legend of Zelda my fave game series) use this feature because its an add on and we don't know for sure that every game will incorperate it.
This is to Dahamu

W

WinterSnowblind

Latios said:
So what really makes any gaming system successful is a large library of games and not trying to deviate from getting players to do something else other than push a joystick and mash buttons?

The PS3 and XBox 360 look impressive, but it's nothing new. It's was like me and my friends getting all excited about the G70 and R520 (GeForce 7800GTX and X1800XT respectively). Litterally. That's pretty much what these new consoles are about. Being a PC gaming geek for the past few years pretty much takes the excitement of consoles away. And considering there's little deviation from a playing PS3 or XBox 360 game versus a computer game (besides what you're using to play with), I don't find anything impressive in terms of the games about these consoles. The only thing I'm impressed with is the Cell, Blu-Ray, and the tri-core CPU XBox 360 is using.

And more or so less, the market will try to appeal to all consumers. I can expect Call of Duty 2 or the Need For Speed for the PC. If not, something equally good or better.

And waving my arm around until I can't move add's to the gameplay is such a great new way? It's different and new, yeah. And like I said, it's going to work great with some games, but it's not something I want to be doing ALL the time for EVERY game that is released. Especially if it's going to be done in the same poor way as the DS' features have been implemented. Sure, the touching is great and adds a new level to gaming, but how many DS games really use it in a good way? that aren't mini games?

T

The Battousai

Agree'd^
I used to love nintendo but now its all down hill from here come on how can they ruin Legend of Zelda like this. I think its because of that Reggie guy, ever since he joined nintendo they're all about innovation and crappy advertising just watch the nintendogs commercial.

Brinstar

you suffer
I think the new controller looks mighty spiffy. I can't wait to get my hands on that. Being a college student, I really can't afford the PS3 or Xbox 360, and seeing how none of the games interest me in any way right now (aside from Blue Dragon and Sonic Next Gen), I guess I'll be going the way of Ninty.

Besides, this system works fine for me. I've already moved from the whole hardcore game side to the more casual play side due to school, and having something I can just pick up and mess around with like the DS is perfect for me.

btw Shadowfax I thought Kirby DS used the Touch Screen stuff really well. And that game is long, hard, and has plenty of stuff to unlock.

ghost master

the kawaiist thing
And waving my arm around until I can't move add's to the gameplay is such a great new way? It's different and new, yeah. And like I said, it's going to work great with some games, but it's not something I want to be doing ALL the time for EVERY game that is released. Especially if it's going to be done in the same poor way as the DS' features have been implemented. Sure, the touching is great and adds a new level to gaming, but how many DS games really use it in a good way? that aren't mini games?
Shadowfax I respect you but, you are making some foolish remarks. I now I'm getting a 360 but, I would like to see something new as well. I was reading 1up's hands on thing and they said by the flick of the wrist they could swing a bat and control a modified mP2 with the wrist and many things like that. You don't have to flail your arms around like an idiot you can just use your wrist. Also their are many great games coming out this year for the DS that aren't minigames. The ds' problem was that developers really didnt know what to do with the features. According to major gaming sites Iwata has been talking to a lot of developers who have been trying to think up of ideas to make their games have very unique controls and other special ideas. Also many people are saying that it is even better than a mouse.

W

WinterSnowblind

I was exagerating with the whole failing arms thing, but you get the idea. My point was that you are going to need to move your arm around a lot. Even if it is just "little flicks" it could become tiring.

And yeah, I love the DS and know that a lot of great games are coming out, but again, my point was that how many of them really take advantage of the features that the DS offers to gaming? I was only trying to say that this whole thing shouldn't be hyped up like the greatest thing ever, we haven't really seen what it can do past a few demo's. So far, I can see it being as under-used as the DS' features, but if anyone has anything to prove what I said to be wrong, then I'll gladly take back what I've said.

O

Omega

What. The. F***.

This is just wrong. This isn't a controller, it's a freaking remote! This has got to be the gayest thing nintendo has ever come up with. Seriously, this is crap. I might not buy revolution because of this. The controller is so irregular, I couldn't use it. I need both hands on something while gaming. And this is STUPID.

ZoraJolteon

King of the Marsh
Time for another dose of this I think.
[img135]http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/300/revcontroller0sl.gif[/img135]

Solid Kirby

Back, I guess.
Ghost150 said:
What. The. F***.

This is just wrong. This isn't a controller, it's a freaking remote! This has got to be the gayest thing nintendo has ever come up with. Seriously, this is crap. I might not buy revolution because of this. The controller is so irregular, I couldn't use it. I need both hands on something while gaming. And this is STUPID.
[img135]http://img66.exs.cx/img66/7389/FANBOY.jpg[/img135]
Seriously, you can't rate it until you've tried it. If you've used it before, THEN you can talk.

Until then, Don't judge a book by its cover.

Last edited:

ghost master

the kawaiist thing
I was exagerating with the whole failing arms thing, but you get the idea. My point was that you are going to need to move your arm around a lot. Even if it is just "little flicks" it could become tiring.

And yeah, I love the DS and know that a lot of great games are coming out, but again, my point was that how many of them really take advantage of the features that the DS offers to gaming? I was only trying to say that this whole thing shouldn't be hyped up like the greatest thing ever, we haven't really seen what it can do past a few demo's. So far, I can see it being as under-used as the DS' features, but if anyone has anything to prove what I said to be wrong, then I'll gladly take back what I've said.
Thar's true that people are overexagerating this though. Yes, this is a cool idea but, there are many mysteries about the controller still. I know nintendo well and so does a lot of people who pretty much know that there are still secondary functions not revealed that could shift their opinion greatly to not buying including how they plan to do online since Xbox live is going to be hard to beat especially next generation. I also agree that the DS' isn't getting certain features used to their potential. there has been only been one game in my mind that has a had a perfect example of all the features and is the best selling handheld game in the history of handhelds and it is Nintendogs. That should show developers to use the features better to their advantage so that they can have a longer, better selling game that actually doesnt feel like a minigame. As I said in my previous post though it seems that Iwata is trying to fix the problem we had with the first year of the DS.

W

Wobbuffet fan

Right now, I support the Revolution controller as long as Nintendo and other companies implement it well into the games.

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical of the controller at first Thursday night but as I began reading more articles on Friday, I began to realize the potential of the system. Also, think of it this way: If the add-on controller has the same amount of buttons as the PS3 and 360, then the Revolution's controller basically has all the funtions of the PS3 and 360 and more. By that notion, the only advantage of Sony and Microsoft could be processing speed and graphical speed (and the Eye Toy for the PS3 if you really want to count that).

My only concern is how tired my arm will become. When I play video games, I'm tired somtimes. so I use them to regain my energy. With the Revolution, I'll lose more energy than gain, so I probably won't be able to play many games for extended periods of time.

As far as marketing goes, we'll just have to wait and see. If Microsoft gets more of the exclusive games for Sony's systems, then people may buy the X360 and Revolution instead of X360 and PS3 for price and for the Revolution's exclusive games and controller.

T

The Battousai

You know what I don't get, why didn't nintendo just make a controller we're used to and add the motion sensitivity. They could make traditional games and innovations without us having to buy add-ons and other peripherals. Then we would only need to buy the controller to use all the features revolution has to offer such as the virtual console.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Shiny Charizard said:
You know what I don't get, why didn't nintendo just make a controller we're used and add the motion sensitivity. They could make traditional games and innovations without us having to buy add-ons and other peripherals. Then we would only need to buy the controller to use all the features revolution has to offer such as the virtual console.
....because it would be stupid to swing around a traditional controler with two hands...

Seriously, pick up your Gamecube controller and wave it around and see how it feels. It's much more logical to have us use a one-handed part.

As for having all of the features in one instead of just having add-ons, what do they do when they want something new? What if they release something with all of the features you've seen so far, but then want to make bongos? We'll have to buy an entirely new controller. They can't predict what they're going to make along the line.

Also, don't you think one single device with a million different features would be kind of expensive? If they released one with nine new innovations instead of just a few, it would run for about $50 and you'd be calling it a gimmick anyways.

Last edited:

0Hero

Knuckle Trainer
I read a few more articles on it, and am liking the idea even more, but I still dislike the fact that there are going to be multiple add-ons that are probably going to be nun-chuck(sp?) style, why not just make them wireless? The wire seems pretty close together if you ask me.

Thunder Child

Dedicated Trainer
0Hero said:
I read a few more articles on it, and am liking the idea even more, but I still dislike the fact that there are going to be multiple add-ons that are probably going to be nun-chuck(sp?) style, why not just make them wireless? The wire seems pretty close together if you ask me.

They will be wireless. Anyway, what's wrong with the add-ons? You could have a gun add-on for shoot 'em ups, an airplane add-on for games involving flight, a rounded grip add-on for games using swords, steering wheels, bats, rackets, lightsabers, maces (with the chain linking the handle to the ball)... The applications for this are quite literally without boundaries, and could provide an immersion we've never yet experienced in home console gaming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.