• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Oddly Nicknamed Bird

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
Do any of you remember the of the nickname of the Farfetch'd that you trade for in Vermillion City? It had the odd nickname "Ch'ding." At one point, I thought it was a reference to an attack that a Farfetch'd TCG card had: "Pot Smash." Now, I think it has more to do with the fact that Farfetch'd's dex data says it is rare and people pay big money for rare things. "Ch'ding" sounds kinda like a cash register sound to me.

But what do the rest of you all think?

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I think its just a strange nickname for a strange pokemon.

Mudkipz_Lover

Snivy & Mudkips Rule
Now, I think it has more to do with the fact that Farfetch'd's dex data says it is rare and people pay big money for rare things. "Ch'ding" sounds kinda like a cash register sound to me.

I think that's it. "Ch'ding" does sound like a cash register, and the Pokédex never lies (or does it?). Then again, the "ch'd" part looks like the end of Farfetch'd. We may never know.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ch'ding? I forgot all about this bird until you brought it up. I think the whole cash register theory is very interesting and very much possible since the Dex entry seems to indicate so, but upon further thought I've come up with my own theory.

Could it be a reference to the world "chatting" as in, to talk? I mean, the two words sound the same when spoken outloud. I kind of think they tried to incorporate the parrot when they gave Farfetch'd that odd nickname since there wasn't a parrot Pokemon back then but Farfetch'd is still a bird so it still fits. That's just my theory though :x

Golemite

I think the name has something to do with at least two of the theories stated above. I see it truly is a modified interjection of the basic old cash register sound (ka-ching or whatever it most commonly is, I'm not an English speaker...), AND the ending of the name Farfetch'd at the same time. Duh. Everyone can see it's at least the ending, whether or not this was intentional. And it must have been. :) Also the chatting theory is interesting. The nickname might be all three of these at the same time. I think there is no "correct" answer to this, as I think the inventer of this nickname might have meant the cash register sound and the ending of the Pokémon's name, but you guys have already found even more theories to it. ^^ We just have to agree that the nickname has its many sides and is thus ingenious! :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think there is no "correct" answer to this, as I think the inventer of this nickname might have meant the cash register sound and the ending of the Pokémon's name, but you guys have already found even more theories to it. ^^ We just have to agree that the nickname has its many sides and is thus ingenious! :)

I agree that there isn't one particular correct answer, but it is interesting to speculate since it's the oddest nickname I've seen ingame. I think there was a Lickitung nicknamed "Marc" in RBY and LG/FR and I still have no clue as to why they named it that. Seems odd.

And to elaborate on why I thought they tried to incorporate a parrot with a Duck Pokemon like Farfetch'd, they did have a talking Doduo in Saffron City (a clear reference to the mimicking of sounds produced by parrots) so it seemed possible to have another bird Pokemon, Farfetch'd this time, refer to a parrot too.

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
Then again, the "ch'd" part looks like the end of Farfetch'd. We may never know.
You know, I never thought about that. And it was right there in front of me. *facepalm*

We just have to agree that the nickname has its many sides and is thus ingenious!
Hmm...yes. A lot more ingenious than I first thought.

I agree that there isn't one particular correct answer, but it is interesting to speculate since it's the oddest nickname I've seen ingame. I think there was a Lickitung nicknamed "Marc" in RBY and LG/FR and I still have no clue as to why they named it that. Seems odd.
I have no clue as to why he was called Marc.

And to elaborate on why I thought they tried to incorporate a parrot with a Duck Pokemon like Farfetch'd, they did have a talking Doduo in Saffron City (a clear reference to the mimicking of sounds produced by parrots) so it seemed possible to have another bird Pokemon, Farfetch'd this time, refer to a parrot too.
It's quite possible, considering the Doduo you mentioned.

Do any of you remember the of the nickname of the Farfetch'd that you trade for in Vermillion City? It had the odd nickname "Ch'ding." At one point, I thought it was a reference to an attack that a Farfetch'd TCG card had: "Pot Smash." Now, I think it has more to do with the fact that Farfetch'd's dex data says it is rare and people pay big money for rare things. "Ch'ding" sounds kinda like a cash register sound to me.

But what do the rest of you all think?

I always thought that "chding" was the sound a shiney pokemons sparkles make :p

each to there own.

Lawnmowergirl

Fangirl =/= Weeaboo
I, for one, think that they named it that to mess with our heads and make us wonder about it for endless hours. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Eh, but on a less insane note, I actually never thought about it before.

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
I always thought that "chding" was the sound a shiney pokemons sparkles make :p

each to there own.
Hmm...I didn't think that it was shiny. Have any of you gotten a shiny Ch'ding?

I, for one, think that they named it that to mess with our heads and make us wonder about it for endless hours. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Eh, but on a less insane note, I actually never thought about it before. [/FONT]

Yes, definitely a conspiracy! Death to all crazy in-game nickname!!! Or...maybe not.
I hadn't thought about the possibility that it was done to mess with our heads. That would be very devious of them!

Last edited: