• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official 3rd Generation Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kirby

Well, i'm sorry Parukia, I didn't know it meant that much to you...

i!Mr Poo-Poo Head!i

help

Wi-fi name is Spice
still sr for that registeel. 432 sr.

F

francesthemutes

I just caught a shiny Magnemite in the New Mauville cave.

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
sr for a shiny dratini.

Charmy_Charm

greenking :D
still no luck with a shiny Torchic. I'm ready to throw this gameboy out the window :mad:

What's better SRing for Torchic or just get one and breed later on in the game?

Haha, that's cause everyone's probably incredibly jealous:p
Good luck:D

jealoue of a brother who deletees my shinies XD lol well ive found 160 pokemon no shiny back to hunting

Here are the quickest ways to find shinies

1:Wild pokemon
2:Sring
3:Breeding

help

Wi-fi name is Spice
Still sr for that shiny registeel. 510 sr

Canis Lupus

Yay me! I finished SR'ing for a Master Ball this morning (All thanks to Jirachi :)) and have started my search for a Shiny Groudon.

216 pokemon and no shiny but i got tons of pokeballs9like 20 ultras already)so i can just chuck balls when i find a wshiny

K

kirby

Do you guys think i'm better off catching in the wild?

Sorry if i'm being rude, but no one likes answering my questions :p No time for another hatching spree today...

Parukia, are you using the Masterball trick?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragonking

What masterball trick? I know of the trick in colosseum, unless he means cloning.

kirby I say your best bet is to just travel in the grass in the wild. If your lucky one will show. SRing and Hatching are for specific pokemon and seem to take longer for me.

Turtloopa

Nintendo!
330 makuhitas hatched. No luck.

amulekbird

Gardevoir Hunter
OK, for all of you wondering what is the fastest way to catch a pokemon, here's the long and short of it.

First, decide whether you just want ANY shiny or whether you want a SPECIFIC shiny.

Now, for those in the "I want any shiny" category, there is no faster way to get your own shiny than simply wandering in the wild...pick a grassy spot, a cave, water, fishing, whatever. My advice is not to look. EV train a lot of pokemon, level them up to lv 100 out in the wild, whatever to keep your mind off of your shiny hunt. You'll get one eventually. That's how I got both of mine.

For those in the "I want THAT pokemon!!" group, your choices are:

1. Hunt in the wild (only good for pokemon that have a high chance of being seen in the wild, i.e. zubat, oddish, etc.). If you want to know the chance of a poke being found in any specific area, check out the maps on Psypokes. If the chance is less than 10%, you're probably better off with the other alternatives. Another advantage of this method is that you will probably get other shinies as well as you hunt for yours.

2. Soft Reset for it. This is only for pokemon that you can save in front of. NEVER SOFT RESET WHILE BREEDING! That's a total waste of time. If you don't know how to Soft Reset, just hit Start+Select+A+B (all at the same time). Soft reseting will reset all the DVs of the pokemon you saved in front of giving you a chance to get a shiny one.

3. Breed for it. This is BY FAR the slowest way to get a shiny. Just because some people have hatched a shiny after "20 eggs" doesn't mean you will. I've hatched well over 3000 eggs hunting for a shiny Ralts (since last Septembe). No shiny yet. However, if you're going to breed for a shiny, do it a favor and REALLY breed for it. Pick a great moveset for it, breed for great IVs, do all you can to make your effort worth it.

4. Now, if it doesn't matter that the pokemon is YOURS, the fastest way to get a shiny is to trade someone who has one...with cloning, it shouldn't be hard to convince them to give you one. I'm not going mention the fastest way because it is not allowed and doesn't feed your "shiny hunger" at all.

Last edited:

mew lover

2,225 SR
I'm SR for a shiny groudon,did it 700 times.Wish me luck everyone.

Sorry if i'm being rude, but no one likes answering my questions :p No time for another hatching spree today...

Parukia, are you using the Masterball trick?

to qeustions why do i need to and y did you ask that im on route 102 with around 40 ultrra balls searching for any shiny i havent even gotten to petalburg yet

eggy

Beginning Trainer
found a shiny magikarp on my way to the red gyarados on silver... i was circling it and it was kind of ironic and also an igglybuff with a green swirl hatched from a regular egg :)

found a shiny magikarp on my way to the red gyarados on silver... i was circling it and it was kind of ironic and also an igglybuff with a green swirl hatched from a regular egg :)

this is the 3rd gen shiny discussion not the 2nd gen..READ THE RULES!*reports*

346 pokemon no shiny

Turtloopa

Nintendo!
Hello there mini-modder

I've lost count on the boxes... i have to release a lot of them now

Status
Not open for further replies.