• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

Okay so I found some rare lizard in the neighborhood and apparently it is like a blue bearded dragon or something. It's very rare and they are an endangered species. It belongs to a scientist that works at my cousin's school, and apparently my 9-year-old cousin and all of his classmates are all really sad about the disappearance of the stupid thing. So I looked online and apparently I can sell it for close to 9k (that's nine thousand dollars). I've been feeding it whatever leftovers I have from work cus I don't know what to feed the damn thing. The other day I fed it some chicken nuggets and now he looks really fat. What do I do? Do I make my cousin and his brat friends happy or do I sell the rare lizard and buy a new car?

Give it away to the most ethical source. Honestly what is there to debate here? If you have an inch of moral fibre you'll give it to someone who'll care for it properly.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I was trying to figure out what kind of things a rare lizard would like to eat and these are the things I've ruled out so far:

-sponges
-chicken nuggets
-double cheeseburger bun
-eggs

and I tried feeding it a blueberry muffin that I dropped in a puddle and it climbed on top of it and licked it a little bit with its weird looking lizard tongue, but it didn't like that either.

I am gonna try feeding him a snake tomorrow. Maybe he will like to eat a corn snake.
Bearded Dragon? You could look it up on Google. Rare or not, its the first place to look. second, being as rare as the lil beasty is selling it could get you arrested IF the previous owner is looking for it. IF it's worth 9K I know I'd be looking for any hint of its being located. Just some cautious advice before your base nature kicks in to hard.

Fatal

Banned
I returned the lizard to the scientist. He thanked me and offered me a reward of $200 (lol). Then he said the lizard looked a little chunky and I told him I fed him McDonalds. He kind of frowned and I thought he was going to take back the money but he didn't. He told me I was welcome to visit his classroom and exhibits anytime I want. He even has a jellyfish that can breathe fire.

JD

Blah I know this is going to sound a little silly but whatever.. so anyway the girl I like changed her profile picture and I wanted to comment on it but I'm a little hesitant because I messaged her before school ended and things went well but then I messaged her after school ended about a week afterwards and she didn't reply. I don't know if she was busy or what but I pretty much got over it because it and forgot about it because it was back in June. But anyway should I do it because I was just planning to say "Wow you look great" or something among those lines because I don't want to sound weird and what not.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Advice time!

I realise that over the past few years I have started to become the epitome of a fat nerd. The nerd part I cannot change, but I have decided to go on a diet and try exercising.

Anyone here have a good exercise regimen they can recommend? And please no generic advice like 'walk instead of driving', I'm looking for an answer that can actually help.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
Blah I know this is going to sound a little silly but whatever.. so anyway the girl I like changed her profile picture and I wanted to comment on it but I'm a little hesitant because I messaged her before school ended and things went well but then I messaged her after school ended about a week afterwards and she didn't reply. I don't know if she was busy or what but I pretty much got over it because it and forgot about it because it was back in June. But anyway should I do it because I was just planning to say "Wow you look great" or something among those lines because I don't want to sound weird and what not.

Just comment on it- don't take that she didn't reply a thing of not talking. Usually, we girls are busy with something else (or we cannot be bothered, but not personality). If you comment, it make make her want to talk to you more, and then you go out, get married settle down, have 3 children and adopt a dog. Ahh, life.

Advice time!

I realise that over the past few years I have started to become the epitome of a fat nerd. The nerd part I cannot change, but I have decided to go on a diet and try exercising.

Anyone here have a good exercise regimen they can recommend? And please no generic advice like 'walk instead of driving', I'm looking for an answer that can actually help.

Exercise between 20-60, 3-5 times a week. Make sure it doesn't become a chore though, as you'll lose interest. It's better to do intense aerobic exercises using bigger muscles (thighs, back, chest), but taking small breaks in between. Walking and running are a good way of losing weight (but if it's just a 5 minute walk everyday it wouldn't do much). Go walking/jogging with a friend- believe me, it's actually quite fun and because you're stimulated it won't feel like exercise.

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
If you comment, it make make her want to talk to you more, and then you go out, get married settle down, have 3 children and adopt a dog. Ahh, life.

Quite specific ele.
Same from me though, just comment. sometimes I ignore stuff too

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Advice time!

An exercise regimen that will be healthy for you is going to depend on when the last time was that you truly exercised. Like if you walk your dog a mile each day, you're exercising. Assuming that you don't exercise much, you need to start out small and work your way up.

Like start out walking a mile every day. Walk your dog if you have one. Do that for a couple of weeks. Then walk a quarter-mile, jog a quarter mile, walk a quarter-mile, and job a quarter-mile. Do that for a couple of weeks. Then walk a half-mile and jog a half-mile. Do that for a couple of weeks. Then jog an entire mile. You see where this is going. Or, if it's too hot to run, then swim instead of running.

I use jogging as my example because that's what I do. I've never been fat (and you probably aren't actually fat :) ), but I'm also not really good at running. It's addictive, though, because it releases endorphins in your brain. I get really antsy if I don't have my 2-3 mile run every day. You have to remember that with any exercise, whether it's weight-lifting, running, swimming, or whatever, you actually have to make yourself do it each day, whether you want to or not. I think that the hardest part of starting an exercise regimen is making yourself do it. If you take even one day off, that's bad, because you need to get your body into the habit of exercising.

In addition to exercising, you need to eat right. And I don't mean go on a crash diet. Those are TERRIBLE for you. Those no-carb diets, for example, are very highly correlated with the development of Type II Diabetes. Eating right means following the food pyramid - eating a lot of starches, fruits, and vegetables and avoiding fats and simple sugars, even if you don't want to. That means avoiding most dips with your fruits and vegetables. There are some healthier fat-free ones, though. What's great about eating right, though, is that in a lot of cases, you can eat fruits and vegetables until you're stuffed and that's okay. You can't do the same thing with fats and sugars.

As a girl, I can tell you that sometimes, the boy you like comments on your picture or status on Facebook, and you're so thrilled that you don't know what to say, so you don't say anything, or you just say "thank you!" or something equally simple so that you don't look like a fool in front of him. And other times, he'll comment and maybe you checked your Facebook while you were busy, or about to leave or something, and you just forgot to reply. A lot of things could have happened, and just because she didn't reply doesn't mean that she doesn't like you. People's lives don't revolve around Facebook. On that same note, if you like this girl, you really need to talk to her in person. It's hard to develop a crush on someone who only talks to you digitally. :)

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
An exercise regimen that will be healthy for you is going to depend on when the last time was that you truly exercised. Like if you walk your dog a mile each day, you're exercising. Assuming that you don't exercise much, you need to start out small and work your way up.

Like start out walking a mile every day. Walk your dog if you have one. Do that for a couple of weeks. Then walk a quarter-mile, jog a quarter mile, walk a quarter-mile, and job a quarter-mile. Do that for a couple of weeks. Then walk a half-mile and jog a half-mile. Do that for a couple of weeks. Then jog an entire mile. You see where this is going. Or, if it's too hot to run, then swim instead of running.

I use jogging as my example because that's what I do. I've never been fat (and you probably aren't actually fat :) ), but I'm also not really good at running. It's addictive, though, because it releases endorphins in your brain. I get really antsy if I don't have my 2-3 mile run every day. You have to remember that with any exercise, whether it's weight-lifting, running, swimming, or whatever, you actually have to make yourself do it each day, whether you want to or not. I think that the hardest part of starting an exercise regimen is making yourself do it. If you take even one day off, that's bad, because you need to get your body into the habit of exercising.

In addition to exercising, you need to eat right. And I don't mean go on a crash diet. Those are TERRIBLE for you. Those no-carb diets, for example, are very highly correlated with the development of Diabetes II. Eating right means following the food pyramid - eating a lot of starches, fruits, and vegetables and avoiding fats and simple sugars, even if you don't want to. That means avoiding most dips with your fruits and vegetables. There are some healthier fat-free ones, though. What's great about eating right, though, is that in a lot of cases, you can eat fruits and vegetables until you're stuffed and that's okay. You can't do the same thing with fats and sugars.

Well I've started walking at least a mile per day, since two weeks ago when I moved to my new house. I've also upped my fruit and veg intake and started eating a lot less, but not so much that I just don't eat anything (because I friggin' love food), so I imagine over time that'll show.

Thanks for the advice, one more question: I've started trying out aerobic type exercises such as sit ups and crunches, what things like that are recommended, and how often? I don't want to overwork my muscles so I think every other day will work for now, or am I wrong?

JD

In addition to exercising, you need to eat right. And I don't mean go on a crash diet. Those are TERRIBLE for you. Those no-carb diets, for example, are very highly correlated with the development of Type II Diabetes. Eating right means following the food pyramid - eating a lot of starches, fruits, and vegetables and avoiding fats and simple sugars, even if you don't want to. That means avoiding most dips with your fruits and vegetables. There are some healthier fat-free ones, though. What's great about eating right, though, is that in a lot of cases, you can eat fruits and vegetables until you're stuffed and that's okay. You can't do the same thing with fats and sugars.

As a girl, I can tell you that sometimes, the boy you like comments on your picture or status on Facebook, and you're so thrilled that you don't know what to say, so you don't say anything, or you just say "thank you!" or something equally simple so that you don't look like a fool in front of him. And other times, he'll comment and maybe you checked your Facebook while you were busy, or about to leave or something, and you just forgot to reply. A lot of things could have happened, and just because she didn't reply doesn't mean that she doesn't like you. People's lives don't revolve around Facebook. On that same note, if you like this girl, you really need to talk to her in person. It's hard to develop a crush on someone who only talks to you digitally. :)

So you're saying I should just go ahead and comment? What should I say? I was going to say that she looked great but I'm not sure.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
So you're saying I should just go ahead and comment? What should I say? I was going to say that she looked great but I'm not sure.

Well, every girl is different. If you want to comment on someone's physical appearance, the words you choose can make all of the difference. Personally (and this is me, not every girl), I am much more attracted to men whose words show that they are respectful of a woman and her body. So if someone says to me "ur so hot baby", they just lost every chance they ever had of dating me. What warms my heart and attracts me to a man is when he says something more like "you look really beautiful in this picture" or "your eyes are striking and really stand out". "Breathtaking" is another really good word. But since you don't know if this girl likes you back, you should probably stick with "beautiful" or "gorgeous" for now. You don't want to come on too hard.

Since she just changed her picture, I think you should comment if you like her. There's nothing wrong with that, and it will flatter her that you noticed and you think she's pretty. Just don't overdo it - you can't comment on everything she says, or be a creepster and go through all of her pictures and comment on every single one of them. :)

Last edited:

Skydra

It's hard to develop a crush on someone who only talks to you digitally. :)
I was not aware people intentionally developed crushes... I mean, if I like a girl, I don't do so on purpose.

I'd think that would depend on how far you wanted to go with it. I mean, if you really want to go somewhere with her, saying she looks good will probably be the right thing. If you want to play it safe, don't comment. This kind of thing is hard to give advice for, because the advice will be "talk to her!" regardless of how able you are to talk to her. It really depends on how much courage you have with girls. I wouldn't think saying she looks good would degrade you in her mind, but then again, what do I know about the female sex? Nothing, really.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I was not aware people intentionally developed crushes... I mean, if I like a girl, I don't do so on purpose.

That's not what I meant. I mean I think it's a lot more common to develop a crush on someone who you see in person regularly than it is to develop a crush on someone who only talks to you on Facebook and nowhere else. I most likely wouldn't end up liking someone who talked to me on Facebook but then avoided me at school/work.

Skydra

That's not what I meant. I mean I think it's a lot more common to develop a crush on someone who you see in person regularly than it is to develop a crush on someone who only talks to you on Facebook and nowhere else. I most likely wouldn't end up liking someone who talked to me on Facebook but then avoided me at school/work.

Ah, so you mean for the person on the receiving end of the Facebook message.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
So I am in need of a car and saw the car I've always wanted for relatively cheap (for a car at least). It was only a little over six grand. Now my grandmother says she'll help me with anything as long as I ask. My question is should I ask her to help me pay for it for just save up the money by myself? I do have a job and it would be possible, but I'd rather have it sooner than later.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
So I am in need of a car and saw the car I've always wanted for relatively cheap (for a car at least). It was only a little over six grand. Now my grandmother says she'll help me with anything as long as I ask. My question is should I ask her to help me pay for it for just save up the money by myself? I do have a job and it would be possible, but I'd rather have it sooner than later.

Assuming this is a used car that someone is advertising, you can't wait more than a few days to put in an offer for it. Unless you have a really awesome job, the car will be sold by the time you save up six grand. Go look at the car, check the Carfax on it, have a mechanic look at it and make sure it's in good condition, and if you still want it, put in an offer for it. The owner might let you pay it off in segments. The other option is to ask your grandmother to help you out and have her pay the owner, and then you pay her back. This is probably the best option, because in order to buy a car, you need a job, and in order to get a job, you need a car :)

vespiqueen

As a girl, if I got a message from a guy that I liked, I wouldn't care if I read it hours later, I would still reply or try and talk to him the next day. If I were you, I wouldn't do it.

Chaos Rush

I'm not really sure if this would go in the Advice Thread or the Questions Thread, but since it is more than a question, I figured it would go here.

Anyways, I have been working on getting "ripped" for several months now, but I haven't had professional training, and have simply been going to the gym a lot. I've gone to the gym almost every day this summer, and I've already gained about 3 pounds (I'm currently at 140 lbs). My friends have pointed out that my pectoral muscles are noticeably larger (they stick out from the sides, which is cool, but not from the bottom, which I need to work on).

I've found this website that has specific 12-week-plans, or just body building advice in general: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm

Rather than just going off my own improvised routine and not even paying attention to my diet (though I generally eat healthy food, and I NEVER have junk food and I NEVER drink soda), I figured I should actually follow a routine if I want better results. Unfortunately, there's only about 6 weeks of summer left, and my schedule is already busy enough due to my job, and during the school year I'm always involved in a lot of activities, so it's going to be hard for me to do a 12-week schedule.

So my question is, which one should I do:

1) simply have a workout/diet schedule that's exactly the same every week (this schedule, in particular) until the school year starts

2) should I do a 12-week-program (such as this) despite the inevitable scheduling conflicts when the school year starts (AKA quit the program once school starts, since I'll only be able to hit the gym on weekends)