• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I dont care what he believes, but he is bothered by me being an atheist and thinks im going to hell. I cant change for him because i dont believe in gods or anything supernatural, how do i convince him to go for me?

Well in that case I would advise that you steer clear of such folk. You've mentioned that he is bothered by your way of life, so why would you then be so desperate for him to go for you? Especially when he's made it somewhat clear that he thinks you'll end up in hell. This really, really does not sound like the kind of guy who you should want to be with. He almost sounds like an extremist. No matter whether we're religious or not, we should all be taught to respect those around us and he clearly doesn't have much for you. Not worth it!

Looks like nobody has posted in a bit.

I have known this guy for a year now. He's my networking assistant. My day with him just consists of lunch with him and our group of friends and occasional networking questions in the room. However, he acts different around me. I am in a committed relationship and have been for 2 years. I don't have any feelings for him. I can't say the same about him. It's hard to explain what exactly is making me notice this (maybe too much 50 Shades of Grey) but he seems more interested in my conversations and has insiders. We have a mutual group of friends too. It's just like, his actions are warm towards me. Is there a thing or am I over-analyzing? I don't want to just walk up to him and be like, "Do you like me?"...it's not something I could do, and it would make me seem interested.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Looks like nobody has posted in a bit.

I have known this guy for a year now. He's my networking assistant. My day with him just consists of lunch with him and our group of friends and occasional networking questions in the room. However, he acts different around me. I am in a committed relationship and have been for 2 years. I don't have any feelings for him. I can't say the same about him. It's hard to explain what exactly is making me notice this (maybe too much 50 Shades of Grey) but he seems more interested in my conversations and has insiders. We have a mutual group of friends too. It's just like, his actions are warm towards me. Is there a thing or am I over-analyzing? I don't want to just walk up to him and be like, "Do you like me?"...it's not something I could do, and it would make me seem interested.

This might sound a bit harsh but... If you're in a committed relationship and have no interest in this person, why does it matter if he likes you or not?

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I agree with Pesky Persian, it shouldn't really matter whether he likes you or not. All you need to be concerned with is not giving him any signals and making it clear that you're happy in your current relationship. Treat him just the same as you would your other colleagues. The reason I won't advise you to steer clear of him is because (as you said) this could be a case of over-analysing. It could just be that he's a genuinely nice/caring person and it just comes across as a little too nice. However, do start to avoid if you feel awkward around him. I know you work with him, so you can't really do much, but just stop talking as much if he makes you feel uncomfortable. Hopefully he would take the hint eventually.

Zazie

So 1991
So I have got a schedule conflict this friday. I have been chosen to co-run my university anime club with the V.P. this Friday. But the first half of the meeting is at the same time as my trans support group meeting.

I have never missed a meeting for my support group and like going. But I have also been entrusted by the anime club president to run things, and I pride myself on reliability. But I don't particularly like running the club even though I have a lot of friends there.

So any suggestions on which I should choose ? Or whether I should I try to balance both at once. (pretty easy since they are in the same building)

So I have got a schedule conflict this friday. I have been chosen to co-run my university anime club with the V.P. this Friday. But the first half of the meeting is at the same time as my trans support group meeting.

I have never missed a meeting for my support group and like going. But I have also been entrusted by the anime club president to run things, and I pride myself on reliability. But I don't particularly like running the club even though I have a lot of friends there.

So any suggestions on which I should choose ? Or whether I should I try to balance both at once. (pretty easy since they are in the same building)

Well, you said "But I don't particularly like running the club even though I have a lot of friends there." I think that should answer your question. If it's possible, you can try to balance out, but if that won't work out, choose what you like more, what's more important to you. Regardless of what others want, what do YOU want?

This might sound a bit harsh but... If you're in a committed relationship and have no interest in this person, why does it matter if he likes you or not?

I agree with Pesky Persian, it shouldn't really matter whether he likes you or not. All you need to be concerned with is not giving him any signals and making it clear that you're happy in your current relationship. Treat him just the same as you would your other colleagues. The reason I won't advise you to steer clear of him is because (as you said) this could be a case of over-analysing. It could just be that he's a genuinely nice/caring person and it just comes across as a little too nice. However, do start to avoid if you feel awkward around him. I know you work with him, so you can't really do much, but just stop talking as much if he makes you feel uncomfortable. Hopefully he would take the hint eventually.

This. He needs learn to deal.

Ok, I could really use advice, but please dont criticize me. I have been pondering for a little while whether or not to ask a girl in my class out, but have no idea whether she likes me. To top things off she is a grade above me and I see her only once or twice a day. Also, I was recently dumped by my previous girlfriend of about a year, and dont really want to face rejection by her. I may just be over-paranoid, but please just give me advice on what any of you guys think.

Edit: Also, I thought I'd add that I'm not the most social of people, am very shy, and haven't talked to her that much.

Last edited:

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Ok, I could really use advice, but please dont criticize me. I have been pondering for a little while whether or not to ask a girl in my class out, but have no idea whether she likes me. To top things off she is a grade above me and I see her only once or twice a day. Also, I was recently dumped by my previous girlfriend of about a year, and dont really want to face rejection by her. I may just be over-paranoid, but please just give me advice on what any of you guys think.

hmm...personally, i would just go for it. if u dont know if she likes you then there is no way to find out unless u flat out ask her out.
cuz u are a grade lower i would ask her when her friends werent around but thats just me.

Nyter

Island Challenger
All right, Not looking for trolls here.
So I usually party with my girl and her friends and family. They are Colombian. I am Colombian American (My parents are Colombian but I was born in New Jersey, USA). So Whenever we have a party or go clubbing we usually are at a Latin club/Party where they play Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, Reggaeton, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I like all that latin music and I know how to dance it like any other latin native, but I am also into American music (pop, house, electro dance, ect.). My girl and her fam/friends as well as my fam don't really listen to it much less dance to it. I do and sometimes I wanna go to a club where they play house music and all that. Now people usually say "Don't go partying without ur parter. It looks bad and is bad and" yada yada yada. She just doesn't fully enjoy that type of music. She listens to it whenever I do but that is about it.

So is it okay if I wish to go to my own type of party by myself or with friends without her?
I mean I don't wanna seem like im trying to slip away from her but I'd like to party somewhere I would fully enjoy. Any advice? Solutions?

Last edited:

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
So I usually party with my girl and her friends and family. They are Colombian. I am Colombian American (My parents are Colombian but I was born in New Jersey, USA). So Whenever we have a party or go clubbing we usually are at a Latin club/Party where they play Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, Reggaeton, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I like all that latin music and I know how to dance it like any other latin native, but I am also into American music (pop, house, electro dance, ect.). My girl and her fam/friends as well as my fam don't really listen to it much less dance to it. I do and sometimes I wanna go to a club where they play house music and all that. Now people usually say "Don't go partying without ur parter. It looks bad and is bad and" yada yada yada. She just doesn't fully enjoy that type of music. She listens to it whenever I do but that is about it.

So is it okay if I wish to go to my own type of party by myself or with friends without her?
I mean I don't wanna seem like im trying to slip away from her but I'd like to party somewhere I would fully enjoy. Any advice? Solutions?

(I've just posted something about being too negative - sorry if I come across as such)

I think the answer is kind of obvious. Tell her that although you enjoy parties with her, you'd like some time away from her, too. Time with the guys, you know?

Nothing bad about it at all. You don't need to do everything with your partner. Just make sure she knows what you are doing/where you are going. And don't be stupid.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
So how do I tend to get rid of this Writer's Block? I've been trying to write my chapters for some Fan Fiction I've been writing. But I kept losing motivation to type it out. Even when I wrote something different rather than that, I still can't regain my inspiration for it. So how do I regain motivation, because I wanted to write it a few days ago and I just couldn't.

So how do I tend to get rid of this Writer's Block? I've been trying to write my chapters for some Fan Fiction I've been writing. But I kept losing motivation to type it out. Even when I wrote something different rather than that, I still can't regain my inspiration for it. So how do I regain motivation, because I wanted to write it a few days ago and I just couldn't.
Writer's block really sucks.....when I get it I'll either listen to music or go for a jog usually one of those works for me. But each person is different, so find out what get's you into the zone and write down your ideas on a notepad because otherwise you will forget them.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Well, I hope that this won't annoy you:

So in deviantART, I have this problem with a person. He watched me and he didn't like the things I posted, and he yelled at me for it, so I blocked him. After I unblocked him, I told him that I get frustrated easily, but he said that I just wanted attention, which isn't true. And read this and go through the links: http://fav.me/d5n0tgk And he said that I was sending the same message when I wasn't. I was just telling him what happened and he got angry for no reason. So I defended myself. And he's delusional. So when he was watching my newest account and posted a nice comment, I decided that I should go apologize. When I gave him my honest apology, he took it as an mean comment and raged on me through a note. But I told him that he should stop, but he refused to listen. So I told him that he should look in the mirror and bad things would happen to him if he treats people like this for who they are. But when I told a guy about this, he said that I lied and he did it again. Luckily, I want this to get through his head because I think that he's either bipolar or something.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Question: Why did you unblock him in the first place?

I kind of see his point. Why even create a Journal about it? That does seem a bit excessive and crossing over into Attention Seeking territory. If you have a problem with someone then try and work it out with them privately. If that is not working then block them and move on. Going public (posting a journal) about it will just make the problem worse and make you look bad in the eyes of the general public. It'd encourage your other watchers to be cruel towards them because of something that went on between the two of you. It can also make a bad first impression for you by new visitors to your page.

Do not think you're doing him (or yourself) a favor by continuing to communicate with them. Leave it be.

babypink

What! He watched you and didn't like what you posted? That is a strange thing to do. My advice; leave it! Just ignore him and think about people that actually matter to you. You will get nowhere with this person anyway. Good luck.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Question: Why did you unblock him in the first place?

I kind of see his point. Why even create a Journal about it? That does seem a bit excessive and crossing over into Attention Seeking territory. If you have a problem with someone then try and work it out with them privately. If that is not working then block them and move on. Going public (posting a journal) about it will just make the problem worse and make you look bad in the eyes of the general public. It'd encourage your other watchers to be cruel towards them because of something that went on between the two of you. It can also make a bad first impression for you by new visitors to your page.

Do not think you're doing him (or yourself) a favor by continuing to communicate with them. Leave it be.

I will. Because I can't let this influence me in the negative way.