• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

The Meddler

Never Forget
I need some advice, actually. I own a xat called Un*tyUn*ted, a nice community and all of mostly Serebii members, but it seems as if the genders have become...imbalanced. There's more males than females on the xat and since I'm trying to build a robust and diverse community, I felt that there needed to be more women on the xat, so I've taken to trying to advertise through my sig, but is there any other way to even the genders out. (And ladies, feel free to join us on the xat, it's there for your pleasure)

Last edited:

Shuam

righteous
I need some advice, actually. I own a xat called UnityUnited, a nice community and all of mostly Serebii members, but it seems as if the genders have become...imbalanced. There's more males than females on the xat and since I'm trying to build a robust and diverse community, I felt that there needed to be more women on the xat, so I've taken to trying to advertise through my sig, but is there any other way to even the genders out. (And ladies, feel free to join us on the xat, it's there for your pleasure)

I feel like you'd have a lot better of a time if you didn't post in an advice thread about getting women to join your exclusive chatroom. I also feel that not many women are in your chat for reasons such as your sig.
Your sig said:
Attention dearest women-folk of the forums from which you are viewing, due to a recent sausage boom in our xat we are now auditioning for da ladies ;}. If you are interested please submit your applications through pm. Goodith luckith.
That terminology screams that you (and perhaps your exclusive chat members) have a rough time communicating with women.

The Meddler

Never Forget
So, you're saying that if I remove my sig, my xat would have better luck. I don't think that'd work, cause I'd need the notice to get the xat out there. It's tied to a game on the forum, but we're looking to branch out, because like I said, a more diverse commUNITY must have more women.

Last edited:

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
So, you're saying that if I remove my sig, my xat would have better luck. I don't think that'd work, cause I'd need the notice to get the xat out there. It's tied to a game on the forum, but we're looking to branch out, because like I said, a more diverse commUNITY must have more women.

Maybe not remove it entirely, but change the wording a bit.

The Meddler

Never Forget
It's not about the gender imbalance, well it is, I'm just trying to market the xat better to babydolls, I'm not so much worried about the number of people as I am worried about the diversity of it, and that's where it's lacking. There's so much white men there it's starting to look like a KKK meeting, and that ain't good. I mean, you can understand, right?

(And please, if you're gonna neg me, learn the difference between you're and your)

Peter Quill

star-lord
You know incredibly enough I think using the term "babydoll" has to be the biggest repellent to myself as a man who respects women, so I'm not entirely sure you're going the right way of advertising or whatever.

The Meddler

Never Forget
This is why I'm in the adviiiiiiiiiice threeeeeeeeeeead.

And from what I know, women like pet names I think, and appealing to the demographic seems like a good way to go about it.

Peter Quill

star-lord
No. As one human being to another when you use pet names like that you sound like a dehumanizing, demeaning sexist piece of ****. Cut that out.

The Meddler

Never Forget
Whoa, easy there, Moo, little too over the deep end there.

I've heard pet names be thrown around and met with warm reception, so I think it rather depends on the context.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Whoa, easy there, Moo, little too over the deep end there.

I've heard pet names be thrown around and met with warm reception, so I think it rather depends on the context.

A girlfriend or close female friend is one thing random people on the internet is a whole different thing.

Shuam

righteous
This sentence alone and the fact that you tried to legitimize the use of the word babydoll when referring to women truly displays what I had stated in my prior message.
You clearly have no idea how to talk to women & that in itself should have been the issue you posted on the advice thread. The fact that you're trying to make a Xat -- a worthless flash chat client -- a viable place for a new community to form is quite truthfully a little depressing, and the drive you possess to make this so is unbearable.

Clearly you need to prioritize your life. While being admin on a chat you so proudly created by filling in a form on the internet within seconds is an astonishing feat which most certainly deserves all of your life's effort in order to make it successful, I feel like learning to talk to women may be a little more beneficial to you in the long run, considering your chat will be dead in a couple months.

A simple list of things not to do,
1. M'lady
2. Babydoll
3. ;}
4."auditioning for da m'ladies"

Why the hell would anyone want to come to your chat? WHAT does your chat bring that anyone can't get through their own social interactions be it in real life or on alternative, more thriving chat rooms. Why would m'dearest lady APPLY to become part of a Xat chat with a few people on it?

Speak like a normal ****ing human being, because (!SHOCKER!) women are also human beings. If you go talking around to people like some pompous medieval times prick, it generally is hard to socialize with people that don't do the same. Second off, it's on the internet. If you're really so desperate as to have more diversity in your life, the inner city has all the diversity you need. Go outside! It'll help your social skills, and seemingly might be the only way you talk to people outside of your Xat and SPPf. Your social skills are atrocious.

bobjr

Staff member
It's about comfortability, breaking the barriers of unfamiliarity with the usage of a pet name, y'know?

I am really convinced you have no idea how to talk to a woman, because that might make you relaxed but a sane woman will just be creeped out.

The Meddler

Never Forget
This sentence alone and the fact that you tried to legitimize the use of the word babydoll when referring to women truly displays what I had stated in my prior message.
You clearly have no idea how to talk to women & that in itself should have been the issue you posted on the advice thread. The fact that you're trying to make a Xat -- a worthless flash chat client -- a viable place for a new community to form is quite truthfully a little depressing, and the drive you possess to make this so is unbearable.

I can't have a hobby?

Clearly you need to prioritize your life. While being admin on a chat you so proudly created by filling in a form on the internet within seconds is an astonishing feat which most certainly deserves all of your life's effort in order to make it successful, I feel like learning to talk to women may be a little more beneficial to you in the long run, considering your chat will be dead in a couple months.

I'm sure you think your deductive skills rival that of Sherlock Holmes, with your accusations that I have some sort of overdeveloped satisfaction with being a xat admin, and I'm putting my life's effort into it(which is apparently putting a sentence in my sig and posting in the advice thread). Also, the xat's been active for 2 years.

A simple list of things not to do,
1. M'lady
2. Babydoll
3. ;}
4."auditioning for da m'ladies"

This sort of contradicts what Sogeking said earlier.

Why the hell would anyone want to come to your chat? WHAT does your chat bring that anyone can't get through their own social interactions be it in real life or on alternative, more thriving chat rooms. Why would m'dearest lady APPLY to become part of a Xat chat with a few people on it?

Because of the friendly people on xat. ;]

Speak like a normal ****ing human being, because (!SHOCKER!) women are also human beings. If you go talking around to people like some pompous medieval times prick, it generally is hard to socialize with people that don't do the same. Second off, it's on the internet. If you're really so desperate as to have more diversity in your life, the inner city has all the diversity you need. Go outside! It'll help your social skills, and seemingly might be the only way you talk to people outside of your Xat and SPPf. Your social skills are atrocious.

Once again, this is a hobby. As much as it is wrong to stay inside all the time, it is to stay outside all the time. It can get cold, and the inner city is full of, well, crime. When I'm inside, I don't dream of going back outside, this is one of the things I do. I know you think you've got me figured out, but considering just about everything you've said was wrong, you should stop trying to figure other people out and figure yourself out.

bobjr

Staff member
If that post is ironic it's just not funny, and if it isn't it's just sad.

Shuam

righteous
I don't even know how I could help you anymore. You're unwilling to take valid advice.