• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

ashhleeyy

εμπιστοσύνη
I'll make it simple for you guys. I'm starting college in two weeks, and I think I'm set. I just have to pack everything up. For those of you in college now: is there anything that you would definitely suggest bringing or getting? Even if I may have already gotten it, I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!

Also biggest advice I can give on what to bring is an open mind.

This.

I think one of the biggest mistakes I made my Freshman year was bringing too much stuff to my dorm. I rarely used a lot of it, and it made moving out the biggest pain in the ass imaginable.

I'm going to Ohio State

Great school. Congrats! As a fellow mid-westerner I suggest, based on my own error, to bring only the clothes that are going to be weather-appropriate until you know you'll be back at home. I stupidly brought my WHOLE wardrobe upon moving in and regretted it. Plus, winter clothing is the heaviest and would save you a lot of unnecessary boxes. Though, you probably were planning on doing this in the first place and realistically I was just really that dumb, so don't mind me if I'm just being redundant.

You really don't need much in the dorms; in retrospect I feel I could have lived comfortably with just my laptop/electronics, clothing/shoes, school supplies, dishes/utensils, towels and hygienic items. I didn't have a mini-fridge and I was just fine, but I can imagine a lot of scenarios where that could have helped me.

Last year, I moved to Columbus, Ohio, which is, of course, the capital and major city of Ohio. I was exposed to a new array of people and cultures. I initially had "culture shock," but I eventually got over this and began to appreciate my new environment.

I'm jelly. My whole fam lives in Cincinnati and TBH I absolutely love Ohio.

Spookz

Lumos
I'll make it simple for you guys. I'm starting college in two weeks, and I think I'm set. I just have to pack everything up. For those of you in college now: is there anything that you would definitely suggest bringing or getting? Even if I may have already gotten it, I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!
Bring a basic tool kit. You can buy pre-assembled ones at most hardware stores, or make your own. Most students don't even think to bring something like this along considering dorms are already furnished and you have school maintenance people for most things/situations. But seriously, they're damn helpful even if you don't think you'll need it.

I'm jelly. My whole fam lives in Cincinnati and TBH I absolutely love Ohio.
Cincy is pretty different from the rest of Ohio, tbh. I quite enjoyed trips to 'nati, but I grew up in a less enjoyable part of the state.

Last edited:

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
There is a girl I like, and I met her two weeks ago on the internet, on an other forum. I've talked to her in a chat with some others, and we used web cams, so I know how she looks like. She's very cute in my opinion, and we exchanged our msn. The strange thing was that on msn, she's much more depressed, and she's wondering things like: "Why do I live?" and "What's the meaning of life?". So she concluded that her life didn't have any meaning, but she didn't commit suicide because she said that's to low. I'm not sure if she's serious, but I tried to convince her that you can give your life a meaning by yourself, but I didn't convince her. So she said that she wanted to talk about something else.

Now I don't know if I should continue about it another time, since I don't like it at all that she has those thoughts, and I believe she isn't happy atm with those thoughts. Also, if I should continue about it, what do you think I should say to convince her? Also, saying that I'm in love with her (which I do I guess) isn't an option, I don't want to rush it.

Last edited:

ashhleeyy

εμπιστοσύνη
Cincy is pretty different from the rest of Ohio, tbh. I quite enjoyed trips to 'nati, but I grew up in a less enjoyable part of the state.

Haha, you're so right. That'd be like me saying "Wisconsin is a great state" when really it would mean "Madison and Milwaukee are cool cities to be in as long as it's summer."

Now I don't know if I should continue about it another time, since I don't like it at all that she has those thoughts, and I believe she isn't happy atm with those thoughts. Also, if I should continue about it, what do you think I should say to convince her? Also, saying that I'm in love with her (which I do I guess) isn't an option, I don't want to rush it.

Just keep everything positive. I wouldn't do more than politely ask once or twice why she feels that way when she says something that doesn't sit right with you. Realistically, teenagers are generally dramatic like that and will say something without thinking of the effects to get attention. Even if one thinks "nah, I've got a pretty good head on my shoulders," it still wouldn't change the fact that everyone has done it once or twice at least. I'm definitely not attacking her by trying to pin her as an attention ***** but you really just have to talk to her about it and try to gauge her seriousness based off of that. The more you get to know her the better you'll be at deciphering her specific "female code" in language.

ZoruaBoo

*slaps younger me*
There is a girl I like, and I met her two weeks ago on the internet, on an other forum. I've talked to her in a chat with some others, and we used web cams, so I know how she looks like. She's very cute in my opinion, and we exchanged our msn. The strange thing was that on msn, she's much more depressed, and she's wondering things like: "Why do I live?" and "What's the meaning of life?". So she concluded that her life didn't have any meaning, but she didn't commit suicide because she said that's to low. I'm not sure if she's serious, but I tried to convince her that you can give your life a meaning by yourself, but I didn't convince her. So she said that she wanted to talk about something else.

Well, she may be going through a difficult time at the moment, often stress causes people to be depressed. She might of had a close family member die, or is being beaten up because of something. Her saying she won't commit suiside isn't deffinate, people can do strange things when put under pressure.

Keeping her happy is the main thing, as you have said, you have already tried, but she didn't listen. Don't confront the matter directly, as she may think that you are exagerating the truth just so you can keep her safe. Try keeping conversations light, remind her of good things like, asking her if she has ever been on a rollercoaster, if she has, say, "Isn't the feeling great when you step off and you get a great rush!" This will remind her about good feelings. Of course, if she hasn't been on one, don't tell her how good it feels, as this may make her feel like she has missed out on life and how she 'hasn't even gone on a rollercoaster'. I know it's horrible to say, but has she/is on drugs? Because they can cause all sorts of feelings, if she is, be sure to support her and look out for her, of course this is quite rare, and I feel really bad about bringing up the subject.

If you can, ask her what is wrong, don't let her give you a half answer like, "Nothing really.... I just don't understand life." There is probably a very good reason for why she is so down, gently keep on asking her and saying things like, "You can tell me, I promiss." or "I'm here for you, I want to help."
Don't nag, or keep going on about it if it's obvious that she won't tell, but if she does, it's quite likely that it will be in a big gush to let out all her emotion.

I can't really help with the love problem, I think your main concern is her well being. Don't you let her or yourself give up hope, life is a great gift, tell her that we must not throw it away. Please don't take all I've said to heart, I can't predict what she will do/ what she wants, I'm just trying to help! Good luck!

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Ugh, school has started and already I am appauled by it. New teachers who do not know what we are supposed to do and can't tell the difference between a man speaking in english and italian, new year group running out of classrooms expecting break and trying to play tig and other playground games and every time I walk towards the school gates, I see people in the second youngest year passing a cigarette around each other in a circle shape and the people in my year drinking cans of largar while talking about plans to sneak into night clubs every friday night while they beg me to help them with their homework because they forgot and made no effort. The teachers all know this but do not give about it and when they do, they get a punch in the face and are forced to take it because they are not allowed to restrain or touch a student. The Buildings are being refurbished and the school computers are constantly being hacked into by other students, they can actually access other peoples documents through their phones and implant pictures of anything in them. The GCSE's that are achieved in the past two years have not been properly recorded and there are actual arguements between the students and teachers now. The school is near the main road so we always hear police sirens. There is no bullying or anything like that, sorta. People in the school greet each and either tease others and harass them to the point of them lashing out and doing the unpredictable or taking the anger out by harassing other people. It is strange how the students in the lowest year that have been held back the whole summer to catch up think that they can bully the people in my classes and people like me when we are doing amazing in our lessons and grades and have many friends. Is this just a cry of attention for help or is this just their last resort since their lives are now pretty much dead?

pirate555

Word.
Ugh, school has started and already I am appauled by it. New teachers who do not know what we are supposed to do and can't tell the difference between a man speaking in english and italian, new year group running out of classrooms expecting break and trying to play tig and other playground games and every time I walk towards the school gates, I see people in the second youngest year passing a cigarette around each other in a circle shape and the people in my year drinking cans of largar while talking about plans to sneak into night clubs every friday night while they beg me to help them with their homework because they forgot and made no effort. The teachers all know this but do not give about it and when they do, they get a punch in the face and are forced to take it because they are not allowed to restrain or touch a student. The Buildings are being refurbished and the school computers are constantly being hacked into by other students, they can actually access other peoples documents through their phones and implant pictures of anything in them. The GCSE's that are achieved in the past two years have not been properly recorded and there are actual arguements between the students and teachers now. The school is near the main road so we always hear police sirens. There is no bullying or anything like that, sorta. People in the school greet each and either tease others and harass them to the point of them lashing out and doing the unpredictable or taking the anger out by harassing other people. It is strange how the students in the lowest year that have been held back the whole summer to catch up think that they can bully the people in my classes and people like me when we are doing amazing in our lessons and grades and have many friends. Is this just a cry of attention for help or is this just their last resort since their lives are now pretty much dead?

Sounds like a pretty tough school you're at there, but I'm not unfamiliar with a lot of those scenes. Most likely the students who seem to be prioritising their own worlds over their studies have a variety of reasons for choosing to do so; it could be anything from social anxiety and a need to fit in/peer pressure to simply not really having any interest in learning, and being bored by the classroom. But the best you can do is to leave them to make their own choices and focus on your own future. Many of them will probably eventually realise that education is a really big stepping stone into the rest of life and an opportunity that shouldn't be missed, and hopefully they'll realise it before it's too late.

RobertStyx

I apologise if I assume wrong here, but that seems pretty much like the standard in a lower class British school. The kids in the school down the road from me are exactly the same. Obviously it's going to be slightly different here than it is in England, but it sounds pretty similar. I've noticed that the majority of the kids there are from the lower class, usually chavs, whose parents live in council houses, and often they know they don't have much chance of doing any thing with their lives, and simply don't care, they aren't brought up to care, as their parents often don't either, and do pretty much what you have described.
I'm not saying you're the same, and by noticing and complaining about it, I'd say chances are you are no where near that, but it sounds like that sort of school.
To be fair, much of the UK is like this. The UK is in a sad state IMO.

All I can say to do is try to ignore it as best you can and keep working as hard as you can in school. Your education is very important.

Jameson1

Mes amis

I don't have any advice on what to bring, but I'd say in general, don't expect your first semester to go all according to plan. I'm not saying it won't be great, but things just might go a different way than you thought they would. Maybe you'll get involved in a club you never thought you would join or something like that. The important thing is, as other people have said, is to keep an open mind about everything, like the people you hang out with, organizations you're involved in, and classes you're taking. The first semester is the toughest, so if you can head into Winter break and view fall semester as a success, you've done very well.

Qymaen

Petals and Leaves
Hey guys. So tomorrow is my birthday. I'll be turning 16. I asked my mom if it was okay if I could stay home from school, but she said no. Before I ask my question you should know that I haven't done anything special for my birthday in years.

So my question is: Is her decision right? Is it fair for her to make me go to school even though I'm turning 16 and other kids have stayed home and missed school for lesser reasons?

RobertStyx

Hey guys. So tomorrow is my birthday. I'll be turning 16. I asked my mom if it was okay if I could stay home from school, but she said no. Before I ask my question you should know that I haven't done anything special for my birthday in years.

So my question is: Is her decision right? Is it fair for her to make me go to school even though I'm turning 16 and other kids have stayed home and missed school for lesser reasons?

Of course her decision is right. Your education is FAR more important that your birthday, especially one so arbitrary as 16.

I never saw the massive appeal of turning 16. Absolutely nothing in your life changes. I can understand turning 18 (or 21, depending where you are. Whenever you're legal to drink pretty much), as a hell of a lot changes, and become legal then, but 16 just seemed so pointless to me.

Qymaen

Petals and Leaves
Of course her decision is right. Your education is FAR more important that your birthday, especially one so arbitrary as 16.

I never saw the massive appeal of turning 16. Absolutely nothing in your life changes. I can understand turning 18 (or 21, depending where you are. Whenever you're legal to drink pretty much), as a hell of a lot changes, and become legal then, but 16 just seemed so pointless to me.

I don't think one day is going to matter. It isn't as if I'm asking to take the whole day off. Just tomorrow. Besides tomorrow's Friday, not Wednesday or Thursday.

RobertStyx

I don't think one day is going to matter. It isn't as if I'm asking to take the whole day off. Just tomorrow. Besides tomorrow's Friday, not Wednesday or Thursday.

There's been multiple occasions I've taken one day off, and never understood afterwards what was covered in classes that day.
Yes, it is only one day, and it may not seem like a lot, but there is a good chance it will do more harm than you think.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Booze
Don't bring too much; you will be surprised how much stuff you think you will do but never get around to it. I brought a munch of books for recreational reading but all of my reading time went to reading for classes. A good supply of snacks is good to avoid trips into town. Caffeine is essential.

Also try to get a group of friends. Join a club or do some activity. You're in the Ocean now. Also don't be surprised if you're not the biggest fish like you were in HS.

Manly Blissey

Booze
Don't bring too much; you will be surprised how much stuff you think you will do but never get around to it. I brought a munch of books for recreational reading but all of my reading time went to reading for classes. A good supply of snacks is good to avoid trips into town. Caffeine is essential.

Also try to get a group of friends. Join a club or do some activity. You're in the Ocean now. Also don't be surprised if you're not the biggest fish like you were in HS.

I actually have a huge stack of books that I wanted to read recreationally, but I'm definitely going to cut down the number of books I bring because I'm sure I won't have THAT much free time. I'm actually in English 301 for my freshman year, a Medieval/Romantic literature class, because I scored so well on my AP English Literature exam during my senior year of high school in March. I'm required to buy the textbook, which is HUGE, and eight additional books/epics/poems from that time period. I'm sure this will consume most of my reading time.

I'm not too worried about finding a group of friends. A few people from both of the high schools I attended are going to Ohio State as well, so I'll at least have them as a base group. I'm an extrovert and very outgoing, and I'm sure this'll be advantageous. I plan on joining a few clubs/organizations, and I've already met a few people on my cross country team, so that's also a good start.

Thanks a lot!

I don't have any advice on what to bring, but I'd say in general, don't expect your first semester to go all according to plan. I'm not saying it won't be great, but things just might go a different way than you thought they would. Maybe you'll get involved in a club you never thought you would join or something like that. The important thing is, as other people have said, is to keep an open mind about everything, like the people you hang out with, organizations you're involved in, and classes you're taking. The first semester is the toughest, so if you can head into Winter break and view fall semester as a success, you've done very well.

Definitely. I'm going into my first quarter without a clue as to what's going to happen. It's crazy. It could be good, it could be bad. Who knows? I'm just going to make the best of it that I can. I've always been a straight-A student, but I don't expect to do that in college. I'm not setting myself up for disappointment by creating unrealistic goals.

One thing I'm worried about is the pace in the classrooms. I was told that what I learn in one class in a quarter (about 10 weeks) is equivalent to what I would've learned in the same class during a whole year in high school. This transition will be tough, but I'll do my best to manage.

Bring a basic tool kit. You can buy pre-assembled ones at most hardware stores, or make your own. Most students don't even think to bring something like this along considering dorms are already furnished and you have school maintenance people for most things/situations. But seriously, they're damn helpful even if you don't think you'll need it.

I actually just bought a basic tool kit today! It's small, but it'll suffice. Great minds!

I actually grew up in southern Ohio, so I'm sure it's similar to the environment as Cincy, aside from the fact that it's urban and I'm from a rural area. I've actually never been north of Columbus, so I can't really make an accurate comparison.

This.

I think one of the biggest mistakes I made my Freshman year was bringing too much stuff to my dorm. I rarely used a lot of it, and it made moving out the biggest pain in the ass imaginable.

Great school. Congrats! As a fellow mid-westerner I suggest, based on my own error, to bring only the clothes that are going to be weather-appropriate until you know you'll be back at home. I stupidly brought my WHOLE wardrobe upon moving in and regretted it. Plus, winter clothing is the heaviest and would save you a lot of unnecessary boxes. Though, you probably were planning on doing this in the first place and realistically I was just really that dumb, so don't mind me if I'm just being redundant.

You really don't need much in the dorms; in retrospect I feel I could have lived comfortably with just my laptop/electronics, clothing/shoes, school supplies, dishes/utensils, towels and hygienic items. I didn't have a mini-fridge and I was just fine, but I can imagine a lot of scenarios where that could have helped me.

Thank you very much! I worked hard for it! I actually live within commuting distance of Ohio State, so I'm not not going to bring everything. I'm going to bring a good load and then sort out what I need and what I don't need by winter break. I am going to bring clothing for all types of weather, though, because it's the Midwest, and you know the saying, "If you don't like the weather in the Midwest, just wait an hour!" Ohio has crazy, bipolar weather. Haha.

Best advice I was given on what to bring before going to college/university - take some teabags/coffee/hot chocolate and a few packets of biscuits. As soon as you move in, you can knock on the doors of everyone else and invite them for drinks and biscuits; an easy excuse to get to know everyone right away and settle in with those people who'll soon be no strangers.

Then again, when people were giving me that advice, they were giving advice to a shy girl who was nervous about being uprooted from the few close friends she had. Maybe that'll be no concern for you anyway :)

If you're in residence long-term, you may want to take a sleeping bag so that local friends can come visit, that's always good fun.

This actually sounds like a great idea to get acquainted with people. I'll try it, except I'll be doing it in an American fashion. ;)

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed

Okay, first off, did she directly mention suicide or actually express any desire to end her life TO you? Because, to me, from the way you've described it, it looks like she's just asking existential questions. Many people, myself included, ask themselves the same sorts of questions all the time; granted, not everybody expresses their doubts about the universe to strangers on the internet, but different strokes and all that.

Even if, on the off chance that she were suicidal (which, again, I doubt), if you were the first to make any sort of mention of her killing herself, and want to actually have a snowball's chance in hell with this girl, never bring it up again. And if she actually is suicidal and told YOU that she had thoughts about killing herself, don't bring it up again anyway, because in that scenario, she's just a stupid teenager whining about her miserable first-class life on the internet, which is where she goes to escape from her parents or something (and in the unlikely event she actually has something in her life to give her actual reason to wish herself dead, getting on the internet is still an escape for her, so provide at least that).

And one last thing: you probably shouldn't confess your love to people you've known for two weeks on the internet, but perhaps I'm old-fashioned like that.

[Also, if there's anyone trained in the psychology of suicidal people and this is the worst advice ever, please do say something, even though I think it's relatively sound common-sense advice.]

Manly Blissey said:
I actually have a huge stack of books that I wanted to read recreationally, but I'm definitely going to cut down the number of books I bring because I'm sure I won't have THAT much free time. I'm actually in English 301 for my freshman year, a Medieval/Romantic literature class, because I scored so well on my AP English Literature exam during my senior year of high school in March. I'm required to buy the textbook, which is HUGE, and eight additional books/epics/poems from that time period. I'm sure this will consume most of my reading time.

Granted, I've never had to live in a dorm, but, first, like ashhleeyy said, I would take just as little as you possibly can, for ease of moving in/out, especially if you're within visiting distance of home (like, if you're bringing something "just in case", don't bring it). And while I don't have any advice on things you may have forgotten that you'd like to have, I'd recommend against a stack of books, since I'd wager that OSU has a library somewhere on campus (of course, this depends on what you're reading... but, even if they don't have what you're looking for, there's probably a local library that does). You'll soon have more books laying around than you'd like, anyway.

Jameson1

Mes amis
@Manly Blissey: Your post was too big to quote lol. Sounds like a good plan, I was different and I was kind of disappointed to say the least after the Fall, but now I love it :) The pace of the classes is definitely a huge transition, as well as the size. Ohio State will have huge Freshman classes (gen eds and stuff). My classes at Virginia Tech were all 300+ people strong last year, I found that it helps to sit near the front so you can pay attention easily.

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
Just keep everything positive. I wouldn't do more than politely ask once or twice why she feels that way when she says something that doesn't sit right with you. Realistically, teenagers are generally dramatic like that and will say something without thinking of the effects to get attention. Even if one thinks "nah, I've got a pretty good head on my shoulders," it still wouldn't change the fact that everyone has done it once or twice at least. I'm definitely not attacking her by trying to pin her as an attention ***** but you really just have to talk to her about it and try to gauge her seriousness based off of that. The more you get to know her the better you'll be at deciphering her specific "female code" in language.

Thanks for the advice. I think it's possible she needs and wants attention, but I don't think she's thinking all this to get attention as the main cause.

Well, she may be going through a difficult time at the moment, often stress causes people to be depressed. She might of had a close family member die, or is being beaten up because of something. Her saying she won't commit suiside isn't deffinate, people can do strange things when put under pressure.

Keeping her happy is the main thing, as you have said, you have already tried, but she didn't listen. Don't confront the matter directly, as she may think that you are exagerating the truth just so you can keep her safe. Try keeping conversations light, remind her of good things like, asking her if she has ever been on a rollercoaster, if she has, say, "Isn't the feeling great when you step off and you get a great rush!" This will remind her about good feelings. Of course, if she hasn't been on one, don't tell her how good it feels, as this may make her feel like she has missed out on life and how she 'hasn't even gone on a rollercoaster'. I know it's horrible to say, but has she/is on drugs? Because they can cause all sorts of feelings, if she is, be sure to support her and look out for her, of course this is quite rare, and I feel really bad about bringing up the subject.

If you can, ask her what is wrong, don't let her give you a half answer like, "Nothing really.... I just don't understand life." There is probably a very good reason for why she is so down, gently keep on asking her and saying things like, "You can tell me, I promiss." or "I'm here for you, I want to help."
Don't nag, or keep going on about it if it's obvious that she won't tell, but if she does, it's quite likely that it will be in a big gush to let out all her emotion.

I can't really help with the love problem, I think your main concern is her well being. Don't you let her or yourself give up hope, life is a great gift, tell her that we must not throw it away. Please don't take all I've said to heart, I can't predict what she will do/ what she wants, I'm just trying to help! Good luck!

Thanks! As far as I know she doesn't use drugs... but she said she felt like this for years, so it isn't just something temporaly. Also I do know she had a horrible class 2 years ago, and she was bullied back then. The next year she had a better class, but since the friends she made are all in other classes, she's afraid that it'll happen again.

Okay, first off, did she directly mention suicide or actually express any desire to end her life TO you? Because, to me, from the way you've described it, it looks like she's just asking existential questions. Many people, myself included, ask themselves the same sorts of questions all the time; granted, not everybody expresses their doubts about the universe to strangers on the internet, but different strokes and all that.

Even if, on the off chance that she were suicidal (which, again, I doubt), if you were the first to make any sort of mention of her killing herself, and want to actually have a snowball's chance in hell with this girl, never bring it up again. And if she actually is suicidal and told YOU that she had thoughts about killing herself, don't bring it up again anyway, because in that scenario, she's just a stupid teenager whining about her miserable first-class life on the internet, which is where she goes to escape from her parents or something (and in the unlikely event she actually has something in her life to give her actual reason to wish herself dead, getting on the internet is still an escape for her, so provide at least that).

And one last thing: you probably shouldn't confess your love to people you've known for two weeks on the internet, but perhaps I'm old-fashioned like that.

[Also, if there's anyone trained in the psychology of suicidal people and this is the worst advice ever, please do say something, even though I think it's relatively sound common-sense advice.]

lol, I'm not planning to confess my love for now, it's too soon indeed, but I like the idea that I can confess my love against a living person, and not a dead body. It's a bit harsh, but I don't want to take out the possibility. But she wanted to end her live completely, she liked it when I said something sweet to her. It's true that everyone has those questions, but there aren't many people I know that conclude that there life is useless, so they start thinking about ending it. But I won't mention suicide again, and I believe she isn't suicidal as well, but I don't know for certain, and I don't want to take the risk. But I do plan to talk about the idea that her life is useless and stupid. For example I did try to convince her that if she did that she would make a lot of people unhappy, and so she won't die happily with that thought.

I just hope that I at least made her wonder if suicide is the best solution.

prob my longest post ever

pirate555

Word.
This actually sounds like a great idea to get acquainted with people. I'll try it, except I'll be doing it in an American fashion. ;)

What's the American equivalent I wonder? Oreos? :]

Just remembered an absolute essential, if your own college hasn't mentioned it in its own material yet - basic medicine kit. There's a high chance that you'll catch something or other in your first few weeks at university, just through being exposed to a new environment and people from all over the place. We call it "fresher's flu" in Britain, and I'd say about half of my fellow first-year students came down with it when I started university. Good to prepare for that possibility.

Clipps

Beginning Trainer

Yes, her dicision is right. Quit being a turd and spend your birthday at school. When You get older, you're probably gonna have a job that will make you work holidays and birthdays.