• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
My headaches are caused by a lot of things. I do hear high pitched noises almost all the time when a TV is on in my house, but it doesn't really bother me much. I guess it does in the long run.

I'll get headaches when I am up too long too, but I already fixed that by going to bed a little earlier. After practice, I had a headache, and that one was really bad, so next time, I'll just try to take an Aleve. If that doesn't work, I'll go to a doctor.

Thanks for the advice!

I dont think this is to much to be worried about, though going to the true medical practitioner would help.
Given that you hear the high pitched noises that TV's make, only means that you able to hear the frequency in which
they create which means your have a very good brain if your able to hear them. With these headaches i would say its a problem with your energy and perhaps neurons.
IN which are changing and evolving.

Try acupuncture :)

Electrolled

I dont think this is to much to be worried about, though going to the true medical practitioner would help.
Given that you hear the high pitched noises that TV's make, only means that you able to hear the frequency in which
they create which means your have a very good brain if your able to hear them. With these headaches i would say its a problem with your energy and perhaps neurons.
IN which are changing and evolving.

Try acupuncture :)

I have a good brain? Yay! Acupuncture...? Isn't that painful? I've never tried it, but the whole needles in body thing seems scary... although it's not as scary as might having a brain tumor. I'd say going to the doctor is best, and if it's nothing, at least I'll be sure.

Flame Mistress

I keep on getting these rashes all over my arms (and sometimes my legs) for some random reason, and I can't figure out why. I've tried applying lotion and other stuff like that, but it never works. And I don't think it's exactly an allergy, as they seem to appear pretty much randomly, without any specific pattern - they also have varying degrees of severity, from just a few little bumps on my skin to full-scale rashes or bumps all over my skin (it's usually the former, but the latter does happen once a week or so). I've been having these rashes for a few months now. Will they go away eventually, or should I go to a doctor?

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
I keep on getting these rashes all over my arms (and sometimes my legs) for some random reason, and I can't figure out why. I've tried applying lotion and other stuff like that, but it never works. And I don't think it's exactly an allergy, as they seem to appear pretty much randomly, without any specific pattern - they also have varying degrees of severity, from just a few little bumps on my skin to full-scale rashes or bumps all over my skin (it's usually the former, but the latter does happen once a week or so). I've been having these rashes for a few months now. Will they go away eventually, or should I go to a doctor?

I'm not really suited to give advices but, I think it's always best to go see a doctor just to be sure! I for example, had a soar, big pimple under the skin. (Right buttcheek, yes I had to show it for 20 different people >.<). It started small but after 4 days it was twice the size of a golfball and I had to go to the hospital and have a surgery (drainage in this case). Then for about a month I had to see a doctor 3-4 times a week and then later on 2 times a week to change the bandage and plastic pipe kind of thing that let the pus out from the surgery wound. Yes, it does hurt when they hurt push the plastic pipe thing into your wound... And for people that are/is sensitive to show their *** to random people, it will be a hard time. So maybe if I had seen a doctor earlier on it would have been easier.

If anyone think they have this ^ they should go see a doctor, it's not good if this thing explodes itself... But you can hardly walk because of the pain anyway so it would be hard to resist seeing a doctor :p

Draco.

Dragon Master.
a really good advice is to NEVER, and i say NEVER go to school w/ a halloween costume on august xD

my friend did it today, first day at school.

he was batman :3

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
a really good advice is to NEVER, and i say NEVER go to school w/ a halloween costume on august xD

my friend did it today, first day at school.

he was batman :3

If your friend was my age I would probably date him.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
So anyone want to give me advice on how to find employment faster before I kill myself? Winner gets a prize.

Make sure your resume is as detailed as you can make it. Don't try to be humble - put down everything you do that you are proud of or that you have gotten awards or achievements for. "Brag" about yourself in this way.

And give your resume to EVERY establishment. Even if you're unsure if you want to work there or not. Give it to EVERYONE. And talk to people - networking is the BEST and fastest way to get a job. Let everyone who cares about you know that you are looking for a job - friends, family, neighbors, church friends, etc. Being friendly toward people, talking to people, and socializing even if you don't want to goes a long way in making network connections.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
So anyone want to give me advice on how to find employment faster before I kill myself? Winner gets a prize.

It may help to know which country you're from. But as someone from England, I'm having the same problem, even after making my CV look extremely attractive. I guess not being picky may help as you'd apply for more jobs, but they're pretty scarce as it is. I suppose the only thing you really can do is just wait until the right opportunity comes by. As long as you're not planning suicide any time soon, you may be fine, otherwise RIP.

Electrolled

Depending on your age, you can do different stuff. If you're under 16, mowing lawns and babysitting is what most do. If you're older, get a paid internship/summer job. Internships will help you for college but they may not pay much, and working at your local pool is an easy job to do, not lifeguarding (unless you can do that, you'll get paid a lot), but just working at the concession stands or admitting people in.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Depending on your age, you can do different stuff. If you're under 16, mowing lawns and babysitting is what most do. If you're older, get a paid internship/summer job. Internships will help you for college but they may not pay much, and working at your local pool is an easy job to do, not lifeguarding (unless you can do that, you'll get paid a lot), but just working at the concession stands or admitting people in.

What Digletto said about internships is important. Internships give you experience, which is what employers are looking for. Even if an internship is unpaid, you should take it. That's what I had to do - I took an unpaid internship in my field (biology), and I'm convinced that having the experience was a major factor in my getting into graduate school. Without it, I think they would have chosen someone else over me.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
What Digletto said about internships is important. Internships give you experience, which is what employers are looking for. Even if an internship is unpaid, you should take it. That's what I had to do - I took an unpaid internship in my field (biology), and I'm convinced that having the experience was a major factor in my getting into graduate school. Without it, I think they would have chosen someone else over me.

Although if he's desperate for employment, he's probably in it for the money rather than the experience. I imagine if he was looking for an internship he'd have been a lot more career specific. Most internships that do pay also normally only cover things like lunch and transportation costs, if that!

iFi Salamander

I'm a vampire!
Although if he's desperate for employment, he's probably in it for the money rather than the experience. I imagine if he was looking for an internship he'd have been a lot more career specific. Most internships that do pay also normally only cover things like lunch and transportation costs, if that!

This. Really I just need something to support myself so I can move out before my mother slits my throat. I've been looking for employment for like a year.

Of course until four days ago I didn't make a resume, and I won't even print it for like another week till I can get to the library.

@Varanus: I'll PM you the resume if you want to look at it.

I am going to note I've been fired twice already. I have some major authority issues. I tend to be given orders then just do everything a way I find more practical. I have never been much of a follower.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
This. Really I just need something to support myself so I can move out before my mother slits my throat. I've been looking for employment for like a year.

Of course until four days ago I didn't make a resume, and I won't even print it for like another week till I can get to the library.

@Varanus: I'll PM you the resume if you want to look at it.

I am going to note I've been fired twice already. I have some major authority issues. I tend to be given orders then just do everything a way I find more practical. I have never been much of a follower.

Sure, you can PM it to me if you want me to look at it. I'm not surprised you've been having trouble finding a job if you haven't been handing out resumes.

I think you may need to suck up your authority issues. Writing on an application form that you've been fired twice for "authority issues" will make a lot of employers automatically toss your application out. When you get a job again, you really need to just appreciate that you have the job in the first place and do what you're told, even if you disagree with it. You are there to make money doing your particular job - you are not there to run the place. You are new and you shouldn't disobey those who have been doing that job for years - there may be method to their madness. After you've been working there a while, instead of blatantly disobeying authority, maybe when you disagree with something, just gently ask, "Well why do we do it this way? Do you think that [my suggestion] would work?" So suggest things before doing them. Your employer may like your way better if you present it the right way.

iFi Salamander

I'm a vampire!
Sure, you can PM it to me if you want me to look at it. I'm not surprised you've been having trouble finding a job if you haven't been handing out resumes.

I think you may need to suck up your authority issues. Writing on an application form that you've been fired twice for "authority issues" will make a lot of employers automatically toss your application out. When you get a job again, you really need to just appreciate that you have the job in the first place and do what you're told, even if you disagree with it. You are there to make money doing your particular job - you are not there to run the place. You are new and you shouldn't disobey those who have been doing that job for years - there may be method to their madness. After you've been working there a while, instead of blatantly disobeying authority, maybe when you disagree with something, just gently ask, "Well why do we do it this way? Do you think that [my suggestion] would work?" So suggest things before doing them. Your employer may like your way better if you present it the right way.

I don't blatantly disobey orders. I am just close to a genius level, so in five minutes I have already developed a system superior to theirs. The problem is I am not mindless enough for low level work. I just can't motivate myself to do anything without reasonable cause. Which is why I am trying to avoid food service jobs now.

Oh let's also not forget my uncharismatic personality.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I don't blatantly disobey orders. I am just close to a genius level, so in five minutes I have already developed a system superior to theirs. The problem is I am not mindless enough for low level work. I just can't motivate myself to do anything without reasonable cause. Which is why I am trying to avoid food service jobs now.

Oh let's also not forget my uncharismatic personality.

Even if that's true, people don't like being told that the way that they're doing something is bad. You have to present these things to people - especially authority figures - gently. And the longer you've been working for them, the more they'll respect your opinion. No one is mindless enough for "low-level work", but millions of people do it if it is the only way for them to support themselves. The "reasonable cause" you need to motivate yourself should be "I am making money right now so I can pay my rent and bills". That should be enough cause to do any mindless work. It's better to be doing mindless work than to be living on the street.

iFi Salamander

I'm a vampire!
All I am saying is I better be making enough money to get ahead in the future. I don't have any intentions of spending my life working terrible jobs. I want to do something more retail oriented now though.

Also if you haven't seen I sent you the resume.