• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
What do you do when someone accuses you of liking a girl in front of her and you don't want her to know? Do you admit to it or deny?

I'd have to say if you don't mind them knowing and don't think it will get awkward then let it be if it will get awkward hmm.... Then I'd probably just go with it anyway

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
What do you do when someone accuses you of liking a girl in front of her and you don't want her to know? Do you admit to it or deny?

If you actually like her, then DON'T deny it. You don't have to affirm that the accuser is right, but if you deny it, in most cases, she will assume that you actually don't like her. If she likes you back, you denying that you like her will hurt her feelings a LOT.

Calamity™

aka Lamia

You should most probably say you do like her if you do, but perhaps not show the extent of your admiration. This way the girl knows that you are interested, and at the same time you avoid being awkward by coming on too strong. If you deny it then it may just be a little embarrassing for the girl. And I would want revenge on this person who's been doing the accusing, but that's not completely necessary.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader

Yep like we said definitely admit it never deny your love, I once made that mistake

funrush

Elite Beat Agent
If you actually like her, then DON'T deny it. You don't have to affirm that the accuser is right, but if you deny it, in most cases, she will assume that you actually don't like her. If she likes you back, you denying that you like her will hurt her feelings a LOT.
You should most probably say you do like her if you do, but perhaps not show the extent of your admiration. This way the girl knows that you are interested, and at the same time you avoid being awkward by coming on too strong. If you deny it then it may just be a little embarrassing for the girl. And I would want revenge on this person who's been doing the accusing, but that's not completely necessary.
When the guy said it, I said, "Yeah, totally" in a sarcastic tone, because the guy who said it was really dumb, and I have no idea how he would have figured it out, so I thought that saying that wouldn't particularly rule anything out. I'm having doubts about it though.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
When the guy said it, I said, "Yeah, totally" in a sarcastic tone, because the guy who said it was really dumb, and I have no idea how he would have figured it out, so I thought that saying that wouldn't particularly rule anything out. I'm having doubts about it though.

Well, think of it in another perspective. You're the girl and some guy has been sarcastic about whether they like you or not to another guy. I would imagine that being sarcastic about someone would actually be quite rude, and so maybe you didn't do the best thing. Hopefully she's not a drama queen, so just go up to her and explain that he was just being an idiot and you didn't mean what you were saying, and then you could possibly hint that you do like her. It could be that she just laughed it off and didn't take anything rudely, but I would imagine that most people would be offended if you were to talk about them in a sarcastic tone. (Unless it's an obvious joke or something.)

funrush

Elite Beat Agent
Well, think of it in another perspective. You're the girl and some guy has been sarcastic about whether they like you or not to another guy. I would imagine that being sarcastic about someone would actually be quite rude, and so maybe you didn't do the best thing. Hopefully she's not a drama queen, so just go up to her and explain that he was just being an idiot and you didn't mean what you were saying, and then you could possibly hint that you do like her. It could be that she just laughed it off and didn't take anything rudely, but I would imagine that most people would be offended if you were to talk about them in a sarcastic tone. (Unless it's an obvious joke or something.)
Okay. Thanks!

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I am seeking some advice, can someone help me with this I asked before technically, I asked I have a girl that I have a huge crush on and she is dating someone already and I thought she wasn't happy, and I found out yesterday she doesn't seem happy at all, she just never looks happy around him, she looks happy when she looks at me but I don't know if she is truly sad or if she "likes me" likes me can anyone give me some advice I need it pretty bad
Thanks to anyone who helps me out with this predicament

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I am seeking some advice, can someone help me with this I asked before technically, I asked I have a girl that I have a huge crush on and she is dating someone already and I thought she wasn't happy, and I found out yesterday she doesn't seem happy at all, she just never looks happy around him, she looks happy when she looks at me but I don't know if she is truly sad or if she "likes me" likes me can anyone give me some advice I need it pretty bad
Thanks to anyone who helps me out with this predicament

It's actually very simple, just don't make any advances... yet! She's with someone, regardless of whether she's overjoyed about it or not, she IS in a relationship, and you don't want to be that guy who breaks people up. Not to mention that if you were to make any advances, you could end up having people hate you and things can get ugly when girls are involved, so just don't make that mistake. I would imagine that she is probably not the love of your life, so it's probably not worth creating so much hassle over her. The best thing to do would probably be to try to forget that you fancy her, and just try to genuinely be a good friend. If in time she decides that she doesn't want to be with the other guy, then you've given yourself a pretty good chance with her should you still be interested. So in short, just play it cool and make your move when the time is right. This is pretty much standard advice for the many guys here that seem to be in your situation.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
It's actually very simple, just don't make any advances... yet! She's with someone, regardless of whether she's overjoyed about it or not, she IS in a relationship, and you don't want to be that guy who breaks people up. Not to mention that if you were to make any advances, you could end up having people hate you and things can get ugly when girls are involved, so just don't make that mistake. I would imagine that she is probably not the love of your life, so it's probably not worth creating so much hassle over her. The best thing to do would probably be to try to forget that you fancy her, and just try to genuinely be a good friend. If in time she decides that she doesn't want to be with the other guy, then you've given yourself a pretty good chance with her should you still be interested. So in short, just play it cool and make your move when the time is right. This is pretty much standard advice for the many guys here that seem to be in your situation.

Well other than her everyone else hates me anyway, but yes I will take your advice and not take any advances, I am also not the kind of person who is just like I'm gonna do it I get scared of rejection, and thank you I will use this advice and will take your word thank you :) I needed this and believe me I will still be unto her I've had a crush on her since middle school once again thank you so much :)

VS

they/she
How do I ask my parents about wanting to meet someone IRL from here? If it was a friend it'd be okay... but it's TRG and we're planning to date...

Advice? *stressed*

Calamity™

aka Lamia
How do I ask my parents about wanting to meet someone IRL from here? If it was a friend it'd be okay... but it's TRG and we're planning to date...

Advice? *stressed*

Easiest way would be to just talk to them in a kind of serious manner. But think of this first, if they say no, will you do it anyway? Hopefully your answer to that is no, but if not, please make sure it's a public area, and maybe take a few friends along and ask him/her to do the same. We've all heard the stories...

Jb

Tsun in the streets

Advice? *stressed*

In addition to what Calamity said, I think you should expect to be told no as the answer, then think of your choices from there. I would definitively tell my child no and totally stand by that.

Not to say your parents would not say yes, but you how a lot of teen internet meet ups end. You parents are most likely to bring those things up.

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I need advice, but it's less generalized and the mod who closed the thread pertaining the topic in question last year (Or early this year, I'm prompt to say it was two years ago considering the idiocy of my posting skills at the time) directed me to the Advice Thread, and I had only just now noticed it because my browser is stupid. I posted about this in the Comic Cafe, but looking back on that it was way too much of a bump and probably not a good idea at all.

See, back when I joined this forum, my primary goal was to post Fan Comics (Which is a terrible goal. Forums are social outlets, not media hives.) And in the process of doing so, I was quickly laughed out. It is easy to see why, considering I had posted a character bio sheet in a Fan Fiction thread. The comics themselves were nothing more than animated Sprite Comic gifs with monochrome square backgrounds and MSPaint-esque design styling.

So I spent the next six years making them look better, improving the writing, making them actual comics, and so on and so forth. They're still sprites, but only because I am absolutely terrible at drawing. To draw them instead would be to hinder the presentation rather than improve it, as the case would be.

The advice I seek is thus: Should I post the comics (Or at least the cleaner ones and smaller ones) here, or should I forget about it entirely and maybe learn how to draw?

Other options I'm willing to consider are posting it on a different website altogether, as many of them are not "clean," as one would have it. Also, I happened to find a nearly complete archive of SecretMew's Adventures of the Regi-Trio Comic. Because my work was largely derivative of his for quite some time, I feel as if I should repost it somewhere, preferably alongside mine as bonus historical content. What is the consensus? Do you folks think it to be a good idea?

Also, since I feel like a dirtbag for asking for menial advice in a column where people are inquiring about real life problems, I feel the need to provide my piece of knowledge for the day for mariobrosvswariobros: On the topic of internet communication, one must consider how lenient his or her parents are and how accepting they would be when faced with the concept of long-distance relationships. Recall yours or other people's experiences with Facebook date fraud, or the independent film Catfish: How much information do you have, and how much of it is true? If the person on the other end was actually an overweight woman with Hepatitis B, would you call off everything you've done because of the Hepatitis? These are just some ideas to consider.

Last edited:

Rave

Banned
I need advice, but it's less generalized and the mod who closed the thread pertaining the topic in question last year (Or early this year, I'm prompt to say it was two years ago considering the idiocy of my posting skills at the time) directed me to the Advice Thread, and I had only just now noticed it because my browser is stupid. I posted about this in the Comic Cafe, but looking back on that it was way too much of a bump and probably not a good idea at all.

See, back when I joined this forum, my primary goal was to post Fan Comics (Which is a terrible goal. Forums are social outlets, not media hives.) And in the process of doing so, I was quickly laughed out. It is easy to see why, considering I had posted a character bio sheet in a Fan Fiction thread. The comics themselves were nothing more than animated Sprite Comic gifs with monochrome square backgrounds and MSPaint-esque design styling.

So I spent the next six years making them look better, improving the writing, making them actual comics, and so on and so forth. They're still sprites, but only because I am absolutely terrible at drawing. To draw them instead would be to hinder the presentation rather than improve it, as the case would be.

The advice I seek is thus: Should I post the comics (Or at least the cleaner ones and smaller ones) here, or should I forget about it entirely and maybe learn how to draw?

Other options I'm willing to consider are posting it on a different website altogether, as many of them are not "clean," as one would have it. Also, I happened to find a nearly complete archive of SecretMew's Adventures of the Regi-Trio Comic. Because my work was largely derivative of his for quite some time, I feel as if I should repost it somewhere, preferably alongside mine as bonus historical content. What is the consensus? Do you folks think it to be a good idea?

Also, since I feel like a dirtbag for asking for menial advice in a column where people are inquiring about real life problems, I feel the need to provide my piece of knowledge for the day for mariobrosvswariobros: On the topic of internet communication, one must consider how lenient his or her parents are and how accepting they would be when faced with the concept of long-distance relationships. Recall yours or other people's experiences with Facebook date fraud, or the independent film Catfish: How much information do you have, and how much of it is true? If the person on the other end was actually an overweight woman with Hepatitis B, would you call off everything you've done because of the Hepatitis? These are just some ideas to consider.

A good place to put up some of your work online for free and to get some criticisms on them would be deviant art, tumblr or other good places that are worthy of gaining useful evaluations on your work.

TheZoruaBreeder

Shiny Hunting

Advice? *stressed*
You should ask your parents to come with you to meet for the first time. Or maybe you could meet up at a very safe place. From here I assume you mean Serebii? and I dunno what you mean by TRG...

TheZoruaBreeder

Shiny Hunting
Hate to double post, but I need advice...
So I have no friends except for this one boy. We're a little flirty and romantic but we're not going out or anything. He's suicidal and depressive so I mainly have to make sure nothing happens to him. My mother knows that he's suicidal but not that we're romantic. We would both really like to go out in town and do stuff (Go to McDonalds have lunch, go around shopping etc.) but I'm not allowed to for my mother is INCREDIBLY paranoid that we're gonna a. suicide together b. do drugs c. do it. I have no intention of doing any of these but my mother won't allow me to. How can I reassure my mother that we won't do those things?

Evil Quagsire

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny

Sprite comics are on their way out as an art form. Learn Photoshop and other computer drawing programs. Take some art classes if that's where your future lies. If you post them here, you may get praise from people with low standards who don't know what the heck they're talking about. And that would hurt you in the long run.