• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I'm pretty sure this is the thread I posted in asking what sites would be good free hosting services for my Sprite Comics, and the consensus was Smackjeeves last I checked.

The problem I'm faced with at the moment is what I would put on the copyright notice - y'know, that little block of legalese at the bottom of every site with copyrighted material on it. Obviously I'd have to mention some form of the Fair Use or Derivative Work clause, since it's a Sprite Comic I'm posting. But I use a lot of stuff, and it's still my writing.

And because it's technically my writing, so-called "Legal Experts" I've talked to about this IRL tell me I should copyright it to my name somewhere. But I refused to believe them on the premise that they had no idea what a sprite comic is, no matter how generalized I tried to make the premise seem to them.

If possible, I'd like the advice of somebody with experience in this field, I.E. somebody going to law school, somebody who has posted a Sprite Comic in the past, or at least somebody who knows what to key in on Google.

Doux

How do you all keep organized throughout the year?

I always start out the semester with my folders and binders all neat and fancy, but over time everything seems to fall apart and it ends up really terrible. I've lost so many assignments in the past month, it's crazy. D:
So do any of you have a routine or anything that helps keep all of your things in order?

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo

I always start out the semester with my folders and binders all neat and fancy, but over time everything seems to fall apart and it ends up really terrible. I've lost so many assignments in the past month, it's crazy. D:
So do any of you have a routine or anything that helps keep all of your things in order?

I have one folder for all my subjects and extra folders at home. Once a month, I archive notes and stuff I don't need at the moment (if we've moved on to a new topic, for example) and put it in the appropriate folder at home.

EDIT And if there's something you will never need again and don't mind getting rid of, recycle it.

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch

Don't keep your papers for a year.

After the semester is over and graded feel free to toss any papers related to that class. If you're attached or otherwise want to keep a record of your schoolwork just scan it and put it on a flash drive. 95% of my (art heavy) coursework for college was able to fit on the 128 mb Flash Drive they gave me when I started school. The remainder were my music and videos from those respective classes that I burned onto CDs and eventually those on a much better Flash Drive. For work I use a 4 GB Flash Drive that's small enough to attach to my wallet and cheap enough for just about anyone to afford.

As far as work for that semester/assignment goes I only carry what I know I'll need for that day's class/work. That'd likely be my Homework/Classwork, Notes, and some blank Paper. Anything else I keep in a folder at home which I clean out at the end of the semester.

I have all my e-assignments in a document folder, respective. A look inside of History. I never type any assignments in gibberish. And every so often, I have a 16GB flash drive where all documents and pictures go as backup.

It also depends on how much per class.
My english and chemistry classes don't have much, they have one folder to themselves.
History, we do almost nothing with actual paper.
Networking goes in semesters, keep a binder for every semester. I just finished semester III, and I have all the paper from in in a stack in my closet.
Math has specific things because my teacher requires it. But for notes I use a composition.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
I need some help for my Composition paper. We're assigned to write a Trend paper for the end of the semester in two weeks. The topic has to be a current trend with a common theme of the following: Obedience, Alternate Energy Sources, Technology and Job Outsourcing, or the Cinderella myth. So far, I'm drawing up blanks. The deadline is fast approaching and I can't create an idea. Any help?

James2344

Keyblade wielder
I need some help for my Composition paper. We're assigned to write a Trend paper for the end of the semester in two weeks. The topic has to be a current trend with a common theme of the following: Obedience, Alternate Energy Sources, Technology and Job Outsourcing, or the Cinderella myth. So far, I'm drawing up blanks. The deadline is fast approaching and I can't create an idea. Any help?
I'm only year 8 so you might not want to take advice from me but I would do it on obedience and talk about how being forced to be obedient in the early years of our lives is making us more *insert adjective that means anarchy* in our later life which causes vandelism, drugs ect and finish with talking about a society with slacker rules however with greater punishment for breaking them in order to force people to live a "proper" life without feeling pressured.

EpicBacon

*back story*
Throughout my entire life, my dream has been to go to Europe. Unfortunately, I've been unable to go because, well, my parents just aren't interested in paying money on me. My mother goes to Finland every summer and my dad goes to Mexico every winter and Hawaii each spring... But, as for me personnaly, I've always really stayed in the house. I've never left the country, only the left the state ONCE, and I've really been deprived of a cultural experience. I've tried getting a job, but I sadly am required to watch my baby brother while my parents work, (no allowance, btw) and not to mention there's school.
In absence of my trip to the foreign world, I've really taken the time to study European culture and language. I'm the top student in my French class (got 104% last term) and I even have studied a bit of other European languages such as Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, German, and Dutch. Now, I'm not at all conversational, but, you know, I know a few words. More than the average the more American, we can say.
Anyways, I discovered that at my high school, a club was going to 100% financially pay for a summer trip to a European country of one's choice. Needless to say, I was elated. All I had to do was sign up, be interviewed, win, and then, BAM, my dream would finally become a reality. Only two people, including myself signed up, as the opportunity was not placed in the announcements and, well, frankly, a lot of students at my school don't really understand the positive benefits of going abroad. I certainly didn't mind, less competition for me.
Now, I knew the other person competing against me. I really don't want to be mean, but I knew that I would be more articulate than her in the interview. We're in French together, and I can clearly remember, during the first day of freshman year, she genuinely was surprised to discover that Europe was a continent and not a country. Even today, she still cannot name the capitals of most countries and she would have trouble identifying any of the nations on a map.
Anyways, we go through the interview, (it was by high school seniors and it was on my BIRTHDAY ) I didn't see hers, but I thought mine went *really* well. There was, unfortunately, I slight drawback. There's a catch, there's always a catch. Our family was expected to host a student from Europe, too. My parents, unfortunately, are not the most open minded people in the world, and I expressed that it would be unlikely at worst and extremely difficult at best to convince my family to host another teenager.
It literally took my family days before coming up with an answer, but, at the end, it was yes.
When I told the group my parents' response, they told me they made a decision to go with the other girl. Now, naturally, I was confused, they automatically explained, "It had nothing to do with your answers, we just went with her because her parents were more willing to host someone and she's been involved with the club for a longer period of time."
I felt so depressed when I heard that. First of all, part of the "reason" was based off of something that I had absolutely NO control over, and I didn't even fully know about what the club did until this school year, and I was involved during that period as much as feasibly could. A lot of the activities they do involve driving, I can't drive because my parents refuse to teach me to get my license, they say they're convinced that I'll steal the car and they don't want to pay insurance, I just turned 17, and my parents have no interest in driving me anywhere, and, plus, the ride space is extremely limited and I've only gotten it once or twice.
However, I think I know the real reason they chose me. One of the main interviewers (there was three of them)sort of got in a fight with me on gay marriage. She went on about a rant about how gay people deserve to go to hell, and I confronted her on that and she was pretty upset. Granted, I probably used some inappropriate language, but it was after a recent gay suicide. I believe that was a HUGE influence on her decision. Also, the other two girls that did the interview are involved with teams (Cross Country and Forensics) of the the one who competed with me for position to go on exchange...
So, what's there to do? Well, sadly, I have to fight, I really have to fight what I believe to be injustice. I plan on sending an e-mail of persuasion to the club the funds the summer exchange trip. Now, here's the ultimate question that I probably wasted too much of your reading time taking: what's the ultimate question that I should ask them?
I don't want to mention the reasons why I really believe they picked the other person because, well, I have no proof and the people in charge and generally very Conservative. Like, I know what to say, but, I don't know what question to say, "May you please give the funding money to me?" That just, doesn't sound right. Please, help. THANK YOU

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
maybe explain ur backstory to them like u did us and tell them u would like for the three of u to be reinterview by, say, the principal or someone thats not a student at least. of its a teacher, make it someone who has never had any of u in any class or whatever. make it nonbiased.
tho if they plan on giving this oportunity again next year and ur still there maybe that could help...
this is just me being 14 and stuff so listen or not...
ALSO take into consideration how the other girl will feel if u get it taken away from her. she may have like a ton of plans already and stuff so keep that on mind.

Gladys

~Elite~
LONG POST
It's over, man. A big interview like that is not the time to get into an argument about gay marriage. Also, you shouldn't have told them that your parents were unlikely to want to host an exchange student. It really is best to just play with the truth during these sorts of things.

EpicBacon

It's over, man. A big interview like that is not the time to get into an argument about gay marriage. Also, you shouldn't have told them that your parents were unlikely to want to host an exchange student. It really is best to just play with the truth during these sorts of things.

LOL, the argument was prior to the interview. :p They asked me, "how would your parents feel about hosting an exchange student?" What are you saying I should have done, lied? It was unlikely, my parents were offered to host exchange students for a school year in the past, but they strongly declined. You're totally contradicting yourself here. Thankfully, I ignored your advice and I sent the e-mail, anyways. :) I'm waiting for a reply now.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
What are you saying I should have done, lied?

Researched. You fumbling on the question meant more then your answer.

You did not research adequately before the interview. To miss something that critical sends a strong message to the interviewer. It tells them that you're not nearly as interested in this program as you're trying to come off as. Since you are not interested enough in the program to do your own research and have an answer ready for them right then and there they found no reason to waste their time on you.

You seem to be sorely lacking in Soft Skills. I noticed you did a few other things wrong, too, and your mannerisms directly after the interview weren't the best. Yes, it's customary to send an e-mail after the interview. You usually thank the interviewer for their time and hit on some key points as to why you're the best candidate.

Sending an e-mail after the decision's been made suggesting that they've made the mistake, however, makes you come off as a sore loser.

pirate555

Word.
*back story*
I'm the top student in my French class (got 104% last term)

Please explain this one to me, because I assume you didn't typo 10%/14% and I'm thus curious....

Rest of post

It seems like you've missed out on this occasion, but don't be disheartened and don't underestimate the number of opportunities there are for going abroad. Once you get to college you may have chances again, and why not work part-time to save up the money? I have a Dutch mother and English father, and spent my younger life ferrying between the two countries and nowhere else. But now that I'm on a salary I go abroad every 3 months at my whim. Just keep an eye out for opportunities, such as exchange programmes, internships, volunteer options (see: worldwide web) etc. and I'm sure you'll get to fulfil your wish!

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Please explain this one to me, because I assume you didn't typo 10%/14% and I'm thus curious....

Likely not a typo. In certain schools in the US its possible to get higher then 100% because of how their grading system works.

You can also get higher then 4.0 if you take AP or Honors Classes. The highest it went in my High School was 4.30 since there was a cap on how many AP Classes you could take.

They wanted you to work hard but they didn't want you to go insane.

Prelude

Prelude
the 4.0+ gpa is called weighted gpa, and unweighted gpa distributes points to ap/ib courses the same as regular courses. and afaik most u.s. colleges dont give a shit (in any meaningful way) about weighted gpa anyway

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
A whole bunch of stuff.

For one thing, were any faculty involved in the interview/decision-making process? From what you are saying, it sounds like other students were interviewing you, but at the same time, I really doubt that they would select someone to go on an all-expenses paid study abroad trip without the input of people who are likely not going to have biases.

Having said that, if the decision has already been finalized, I really don't think there is that much you can do at this point. Whether or not the interviewers' biases had anything to do with the selection, I feel like those two reasons might have been things that affected eligibility and you might not have noticed. Whenever schools have programs where they select students to travel overseas as part of an expenses paid trip, they usually judge you based on factors other than interviews/essays (GPA, involvement in extracurricular activities, etc.). What they say is that your eligibility is judged based on how you do in whatever they have you do (usually an interview and/or essay) in addition to some other criteria that would help your chances.

I also have to agree that your initial uncertainty about whether your parents would be able to host a foreign exchange student might have brought you down. I feel like this was information that was freely available and that you could've gotten an answer to before the interview. If you do happen to find yourself looking at opportunities like this again, try looking out for these conditions because there is a good chance that it could be brought up at some point during the interview process.

I know that you're upset because you're not going to get to go, but believe me, I've been through something that's almost exactly like that. Every year, my school selects two students to go to Japan for two weeks during the summer. I applied my freshman year and sophomore year, the only two years I would be eligible (I applied the second time because I obviously didn't get it the first time). The second time in particular, I felt like I had had it; I felt like I did great in the interview and in the essay I had to write explaining why I wanted to go. But in the end, I wasn't selected, and for a while, I was a bit upset over not being able to go, but I eventually got over it since being bitter about not winning wasn't going to change the outcome.

In short, I'm really not sure what else to tell you; on one hand, if biases were being held during the selection process, or the decision was made based on irrelevant factors, it should be brought to a faculty member involved in choosing the student who gets to go (probably a faculty sponsor to the club), but on the other hand, if it turns out that the selection was based completely around involvement in whatever club was holding it as well as a definite response over your parents housing an exchange student, then I'm afraid that there isn't that much you can do.

~~

EDIT: I just realized that this question was a few days old. I suppose if it's irrelevant at this point, I should ask for my own advice. Oddly enough, it also has to do with studying abroad.

I want to study abroad in the upcoming fall, but the main factor that's affecting whether I can get to go is money. The good news is that the two schools that I am the most interested in attending cost less to attend than my home university (excluding transportation and other fees, like deposits and application fees), and the study abroad agency that this is being held through offers some scholarships as well as resources to other scholarships. The bad news is that my parents want me to also find a job or an internship over the summer, which would probably help me anyway since I need money to pay for plane tickets, to spend while I am there, and to potentially travel to other parts of Europe should the opportunity arise.

My plan was to apply to every internship possible, which I imagine would be heavily influenced by letters of recommendation (I am worried about asking for many of them to be written within a short amount of time; I also need some as part of the study abroad application). While I am looking for internships/jobs, I was planning on finishing my study abroad stuff and applying for every scholarship possible. Is there anything else I should do that would help in either pursuit, or would applying to things as fast as I can get letters of recommendation written for them be a good strategy?

Last edited:

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
So u do all that... Financial Aid if they have it...

EpicBacon

Wow, surprised that this actually response! Well, this little chapter of my life is now over, but I'll suppose I'll reply to you to satisfy your curiosity.

@An00bis It was a school program that started this year. Unfortunately, it's not exactly feasible to research that sort of thing. Also, I can assure you that I was very respectful during the interview. Perhaps the anonymity of the Internet makes perceived as rude, but I promise you, that message was not there. It was full of respect.

Well, I understood the fear of being perceived as a sore loser, but, I truly feel an injustice was made. They made a decision that went against me based upon criteria that was beyond my control. I, personally, believed this to not be fair.

@pirate555 Both of you are right, technically. :) I "earned" that score because I got 100% on all of the tests and homework, and did extra credit officially. I earned that score, but the gradebook just marker it as 100%. Yeah, it's technically impossible to go beyond that. So sad. Thanks for your positivity on my dream, it truly means a lot. :)

@Krake Nope, no faculty whatsoever was involved. Just students.

So, yeah, in the end, I didn't get the trip. C'est la vie. Life is really unfair sometimes. OH WELL!

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
@Krake Nope, no faculty whatsoever was involved. Just students.

So, yeah, in the end, I didn't get the trip. C'est la vie. Life is really unfair sometimes. OH WELL!

So what you are saying is that students completely decide who gets to go on this all expenses paid trip when they can clearly show bias towards certain students over anything, among other things?

I guess at this point, it doesn't matter, especially with the whole homestay issue.

EpicBacon

So what you are saying is that students completely decide who gets to go on this all expenses paid trip when they can clearly show bias towards certain students over anything, among other things?

Unfortunately, yes.

The idea of the club is, in theory, to make students take leadership positions. I suppose it's a good idea in theory, but it comes with unfair consequences and irresponsibilities such as this.

HOWEVER, I suppose, to the students' defense, they do a lot of fundraising and the money technically theirs; they can decide to use it however they want, no matter how unreasonable I believe it to b.e