• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Advice Thread

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
No. The best time would be when you're somewhat financially stable, not a horny goat and able to sound, resonable decisions without everything being a "mistake."
If everybody literally waited to get a significant other until they were financially stable in today's economy and generation of labor.... I can't even begin to type in a sentence what this implies.

Hey guys I wanted to ask a quick question and get some simple advice. Compared to my friends, I have very little knowledge about music i.e who different bands or singers etc. are. Like if you were to name a band off the top of your head chances are I wouldn't know of them. Anorher example is when my friends used to chat about music I would pretty much end up zoning out and not contribute much to the conversation, which sort if made me feel a little bad. The question I want to put our here is that does anyone know any ways that I find out more about music? I have an iPod and I have a Spotify account which I used pretty infrequently. Don't get me wrong, I do love to listen to music especially Linkin Park and Taylor Swift, but I'd would like to expand so to speak. Bit of an odd question but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

I like the fact that you enjoy Linkin Park, though if you also like Swifty i want to distance myself a little bit from you. First off, which Linkin Park do you like? Good Linkin Park (Pre-Minutes to Midnight) or Gimmicky Sellout Terribad Linkin Park (Post M2M)? Best way to get into music is to listen to it, find an artist, look at the genre into which it belongs, listen to other artists in that genre. That's how i got into 90's grunge. <---Highly recommend listening to 90's music, Alice in Chains, nirvana, pearl jam, the works.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Oh man. Some wonderful advice floating around. Firstly pirate555 I will definitely try your suggestion of listening to a radio, I actually bought a mini alarm clock-radio from work that I haven't touched at all... I'll give it a shot today since I managed to get a day off today. And yes I will ask my friends their favourite genres, I actually found that one of my best friends likes Taylor Swift to the same degree as me when I asked so it definitely works.

Hankka thanks for your input. Like I said I don't use Spotify much at all, though I did discover Bastille and Imagine Dragons from them which I was definitely happy with.

KantoPkmnMaster I'll PM you. Thanks again to everyone for their valuable contribution, I was actually expecting to get ripped a little but to receive great advice is amazing.

Last edited:

Kikkoman

Firstly, nice avatar, Darth Sabreus (Y)!! Secondly, I very much disagree about it being bad to have a relationship when you're young. I honestly look back to my high school days, when I had a couple of crushes, and really wish that I had had an experience back then. I always see budding high school couples and they look so cute - maybe in their innocence of the world, but what does it matter, they have fun and seem to really believe in it. Yeh, ok, if things go sour, then the bitter emotion is felt more deeply, but it's still pretty special while it lasts.

Me and my boyfriend have opted to take it a little slow since it will be a long-distance relationship. I suppose the important thing is to remember that regardless of how the relationship goes, being each other's friend almost immediately takes priority, simply because I can handle not being in a relationship with him, but not being his friend would crush me.
That being said, we're going to stay optimistic, and still shoot for it all the while. I can understand the sentiment of not putting your expectations too high, simply because it is pretty unlikely that it'll be pemanent (purely from an objective stand-point and the fact that I've watched so many high school relationships shot to ****, it's comical). Once again, I will keep looking for the best in it though. We may have had bad timing and circumstance, but I'm not going to let that stop me from trying.

Thank you guys again for the advice, I'll keep it all in mind.
---------
Last night, we decided to stop out of concern for our friendship lest it end with an emotional nuke that kills it all. I'm not quite feeling well still, but I'm a little more ready to move on. This was fairly eye-opening as far as my emotional maturity is concerned, either way, thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Longtime poster, 1st time looking for advice instead of giving it. Today i found out that i have a peptic ulcer (basically an ulcer that is inside your stomach) that will need to be removed through surgery, etc. I am 22 years old, 250 lbs. (mostly muscle, bmi is ~22.5) and i'm 6 feet tall and do almost every exercise imaginable (run at least a mile a day, bench press ~315 lbs. max, etc), don't drink, don't smoke. I know how to take care of myself, yet living a healthy lifestyle while living in an unhealthy state, namely Louisiana in this case is a trial in itself. For those that do manage to take of your weight what would you recommend in terms of foods to eat. I understand this is Serebii and not a dietitian yet it always interesting to get some feedback. Mainly have to lose ~30 lbs, which i've done before in a span of a month, but that was basically fasting + water + 1 fruit per day and nothing else which i don't recommend. Toodles, KantoPkmnMaster

Houka

You got the excise part good but what about your diet part? If you eat mostly junk food then that will cause some issues. Junk food tend to have not just a lot of fat but some other things that can cause negative reactions with your body. Junk food should only be eaten once in a while like once a week or less, though it's recommend none at all. You can get your fat and protein from any basic meat.

I would suggest researching about the foods that you eat and see what would be good and what will cause issues.

Kikkoman

Heyya again,

So I'm now split up/on break (however she wants to define it) with my (now ex-) girlfriend and I've been finding it a bit hard to deal here and there. Although it's kinda acting like a self-fulfilling prophecy in that the way it's panned out has shown me that it probably was the right thing, I feel like it didn't have to happen that way just yet, and I really wish it didn't happen the way it had, and I feel like she's failed to understand where I was coming from when I said I had some issues that were on my mind - she just automatically says it's my fault because I had the issues... though really, I felt like they were on my mind because of her in the first place. I feel like getting this off my chest, but I'm not sure if it would really help anything, me or her. Plus, she does say that when it's "not so raw", she'd like to catch up and maybe be friends again, but right now she feels she has to cut herself off from me completely. Whilst I can deal with not talking to her, I would rather be able to, but I guess in the long run that wouldn't make things better (acc. to her anyway). So do you think I should get something like that off my chest? She has basically put all the blame on me which I think isn't fair, and in all honesty, her somewhat-selfishness in a lot of the relationship was what made me have second thoughts (I posted earlier if you want a spiel about things). While I raised my concerns more in a "let's see if we can get through these together", because she deemed that we couldn't, then it was my fault. I am starting to resent it more the more I think about it, and I know that we shouldn't get back together, but I still feel like I gotta tell her that.

However, the other thing is that I still care about her... doesn't really make sense, but feelings hardly ever do, despite being rational about why it broke up. I want to know that she's ok, but I can't really do too much apart from asking some of her friends, who aren't really the best indicators all the time. Here's a moral dilemma for you all though: ages ago, she told me her password for some uni account, but then on a whim (because my memory is elephantine) I tried it on her fb account and it worked... What do you think of me logging into her account and maybe like, checking her messages with friends just to see how she is? I can go in without her knowing, leaving no trace, and it would at least give me some understanding of her situation since she won't talk to me, yet I still care about her. Is it just too wrong though?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I tried it on her fb account and it worked... What do you think of me logging into her account and maybe like, checking her messages with friends just to see how she is? I can go in without her knowing, leaving no trace, and it would at least give me some understanding of her situation since she won't talk to me, yet I still care about her. Is it just too wrong though?

This would be a terrible thing to do. Actually, it would pretty much make you stalker. You guys broke up, leave it at that.

Kikkoman

Yeh... I dunno, in this cloudy period my judgment isn't as good as it usually is, thanks for reminding me. On top of that, thinking about it, that'd probably make it even harder for me to move on if I'm being that obsessive. Any advice on my first question though? Still unsure if telling her what's on my mine would make me feel better or if it would just cause more argument and problems - if I stay silent, I guess that's me being the bigger person?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get her to change her FB password without telling her that it's because I know what it is? I feel like the fact I that I know it would be bad enough, but it would definitely ensure I don't do it. I *have* mentioned to her before, while we were going out, that I knew what it was, and she still never changed it...

EDIT: So I did end up telling her what's on my mind, but I feel like it was most definitely initiated by her sending me a really stupid message - basically asking me to help her cut me out of her life (asking if I was seeing any university revues, implying that she would go to the ones I didn't go to). After me then venting at her, she rings me while having a panic attack and is screaming her head off at me... And I'm honestly left wondering what I did to deserve being treated the way she treated me. Oh well... there's that chapter ended - I think any hope of being amicable is well and truly lost right now. And I won't go on her FB, I feel absolutely no need to do that right now - I figured too, if anything, it would probably have made getting over her even harder.

Last edited:

JD

So recently I quit working at Six Flags Great Adventure two weeks ago because it wasn't the job for me it made me feel stressed out and miserable I worked there for about three weeks. However, a good friend of mine assumes that just because we are friends that we are going to like all of the same things and appears to be upset that I quit even though I made it clear that I didn't like working there and it wasn't the right job for me. I told him that I was going to find a job that was better suited for me and I'm going searching later this week but he keeps bringing up me quitting Six Flags and sent this text to me right wen I got back from vacation "So how is searching for that new job going?" it's almost like he thinks that I wont be able to find another job and he is trying to get me back to Six Flags. I'm trying to think of a message to send him without being offensive making it clear that I have no interest of coming back whatsoever and that he needs to let it go what should I say?(I'm only 17 and Six Flags was my first actual job I was really hesitant but applying but my parents were pressuring me into getting a job so I eventually caved in.)

Vernikova

Champion
Just say it's going well and you already have some leads.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
So recently I quit working at Six Flags Great Adventure two weeks ago because it wasn't the job for me it made me feel stressed out and miserable I worked there for about three weeks. However, a good friend of mine assumes that just because we are friends that we are going to like all of the same things and appears to be upset that I quit even though I made it clear that I didn't like working there and it wasn't the right job for me. I told him that I was going to find a job that was better suited for me and I'm going searching later this week but he keeps bringing up me quitting Six Flags and sent this text to me right wen I got back from vacation "So how is searching for that new job going?" it's almost like he thinks that I wont be able to find another job and he is trying to get me back to Six Flags. I'm trying to think of a message to send him without being offensive making it clear that I have no interest of coming back whatsoever and that he needs to let it go what should I say?(I'm only 17 and Six Flags was my first actual job I was really hesitant but applying but my parents were pressuring me into getting a job so I eventually caved in.)

I'd go back. It's only a summer job ( I assume) and it'd look bad on your next app that you quit your first one.

I also work at a local amusement park. It's hot, people are disrespectful and the hours are long but sometimes you gotta tough it out. What did you do there? It couldn't of been that bad.

After seeing some of the posts here dealing with health and the like, I decided I could ask about an issue my cat has had for the past two weeks.

After bringing him to the vet twice to flush his bladder, it was clear he had developed magnesium deposits in his urinary tract and his bladder. He still has issues urinating, despite the special diet we have him on. I'll occasionally give him fish or chicken to supplement his liquid intake, but sometimes it isn't enough.

I have tried almost everything I can think of to help him pass these obstructions, which have the consistency of fine sand. Has anyone else had a problem like this with their cat? I hear it is more and more common, so I hoped someone already had experience with this and could help. Is there anything in his diet I can add, or some physical massage I can do to help him out here?

Thanks.

JD

I'd go back. It's only a summer job ( I assume) and it'd look bad on your next app that you quit your first one.

I also work at a local amusement park. It's hot, people are disrespectful and the hours are long but sometimes you gotta tough it out. What did you do there? It couldn't of been that bad.

I worked at Six Flags it's kind of too late to go back once you give your two weeks notice and quit you lose rehire status or something like that. While I was there I worked in food service so I was mainly on register and serving food I was at a different location pretty much every day so I had to adjust each time while dealing with a boat load of people. The thing is before I started working there a few other friends told me that working there was rough and it was the only thing that came out of it was learning how to use register.

Just say it's going well and you already have some leads.

That's what I plan on doing I don't know..

Magnegross

peepee ding dong
hello serebii forums dot com

i'm going for job training in a couple days and the dress code is 'business casual'

does that mean i can wear chinos?

Magnegross

peepee ding dong
what about shoes i was thinking about just wearing like vans or something because dress shoes with chinos would probably look stupid af so ???

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
After seeing some of the posts here dealing with health and the like, I decided I could ask about an issue my cat has had for the past two weeks.

After bringing him to the vet twice to flush his bladder, it was clear he had developed magnesium deposits in his urinary tract and his bladder. He still has issues urinating, despite the special diet we have him on. I'll occasionally give him fish or chicken to supplement his liquid intake, but sometimes it isn't enough.

I have tried almost everything I can think of to help him pass these obstructions, which have the consistency of fine sand. Has anyone else had a problem like this with their cat? I hear it is more and more common, so I hoped someone already had experience with this and could help. Is there anything in his diet I can add, or some physical massage I can do to help him out here?

Thanks.

Have you discussed a treatment plan with your vet? Has your vet done extensive blood work on your cat? An overabundance of magnesium usually means low calcium or low potassium. It could be a multitude of different things. Has his thyroid and parathyroid been checked? It could be an imbalance there. He could also be in acute renal failure. If you've changed his diet and it hasn't improved, I'd assume there's something wrong with him metabolically. As far as helping his pass the obstruction, I'm not totally sure what you could do other than maybe talking to your vet about prescribing a diuretic (which could be iffy; it might dilute it enough to help pass the sediment or it could cause issues with his bladder being too full if he still can't pass it so definitely discuss it with your vet) or you may have to keep going back to get his bladder irrigated on a regular basis. I'd definitely be more in favor of determining the underlying cause (which reeeeaaally sounds metabolic to me) and treating that. It'd be less money and better for the animal in the long run.

Last edited: