• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official American Election 2008 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strants

True but if you go by media numbers on who watched what. Palin kicked Biden's ***. And McCain beat Obama.
I'm curious as to what you think this has to do with the election. Watching the RNC doesn't mean that you HAVE to vote republican (unless republicans have some sort of mind control machine that uses pictures, but that's another story entirely), or even that you WANT to. People may have watched it because Palin is a relative unknown, were Biden has been in the senate for quite a while, and Obama has been campaining for over a year now.

BigLutz

Banned
I'm curious as to what you think this has to do with the election. Watching the RNC doesn't mean that you HAVE to vote republican (unless republicans have some sort of mind control machine that uses pictures, but that's another story entirely), or even that you WANT to. People may have watched it because Palin is a relative unknown, were Biden has been in the senate for quite a while, and Obama has been campaining for over a year now.

I wouldnt think it would be the same for Biden. As not only is he really just a boring White Man. But also the media viciously attacked Palin and her family, which brought about curiousity.

Also remember while Obama has been campaiging for a year now, he also had alot of hype going into this event. From it being held in a Stadium, to the Greek Collums, to seeing how his speach would be.

And while it doesn't effect the election much, other than the facts that Palin was able to get her message out in attacking Obama. And McCain was able to get out a very bipartisan message to indepdents. Which could end up helping him overall in the long run.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
Although I'm a German and cannot influence the US presidental election, however, please allow me to write a few passionate lines which I want to appeal to all proud Americans with to vote for the only right candidate to lead that great nation:
JOHN MC CAIN

MCCAIN7.jpg

I watched John McCain's acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, although that implied staying up until 5.00 a.m. GMT (because of the time difference). But I wanna be honest: Every minute was worth it!

His speech deeply moved me, no, it even overwhelmed me!
Obama will never. never surpass it, even if he uses all his(empty!) rhetoric!
Mc Cain is a great man and a flawless example of strength, experience and virtue.
Can you really imagine Obama being commander-in-chief of the world's biggest army? Ridiculous!
Your only worthy commander-in-chief is John McCain, as he just commands your respect.

Personally, I'm entirely convinced that his concepts and solutions are the right ones for America's own good!
No matter what issue you look at, be it spending, taxes, reforming Washington, energy security, national security and above all foreign policy, John McCain has made the better suggestions AND has the record of working to exactly know what is to be done!

Dear Americans,
I adore your great nation and I often think about emigrating there. Please don´t call me hypocritical now, because I guarantee you that I´m far from lying when I assert that I would immediately exchange my German right to vote for the American right to vote, if I only was allowed to.
Ask yourselves:
-What is Obama's reputation? Empty words! -Opium for the people.
-What may you expect from John McCain? -No, he's definitely no Bush II (that´s only a dumb prejudice from the Obama camp) but he has proved himself to be an almost independent fighter for his country and for truth. He is hero of war, a real American hero who embodies all the great and glorious principles of the USA: He's gonna defend your country! (and hopefully Europe, too)

The world needs a strong America, America needs a strong McCain, the World needs John McCain!

BillyBob15

<- Newest shiny
Which is absolutely stupid, a ear mark in the purest sense is something that a cannidate reserves for his or her own community. Trying to put this Internation Aid or Internation Money is a ear mark is the absolute same insanity that Big Al tried to make. It doesn't work.
Look back at what I said. The CRS is who defines an earmark, and according to the definition, the aid to Israel is an earmark because they are setting the money aside for Israel. You're debating McCain's sources not my sanity.
Here is the source, set to the page explaining McCain's earmarking for Israel.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/m012606.pdf#page=19

And is that McCain alone? Or the Federal Budget for aid to Isreal? Did McCain ask for that alone by himself placing them inside the budget? Or is that the usual aid we spend on Isreal? See trying to say a Over Seas Budget is a ear mark is just well, sad.
As I said, CRS says its an earmark, well, its an earmark... McCain was for the earmark. I'm sure, as a candidate for the presidency, that he has done his research on earmarks and knew full well what he supported was an earmark especially since he is supposedly so much against them

And you have proof of this?
Right here
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-earmarks3-2008sep03,0,2482434.story

And lets see where that aid was going to before we start throwing out accusations. Especially since you just tried to make the very insane accusation that Federal Aid to a Country is a ear mark.
Once again, you're calling CRS' official definition of an earmark insane. Here's the link statng McCain's support for the 52 billion for Israel and his flip-flopping to claim to stop a mess he recently supported

In 2005 Obama visited the Thorton Township Highschool in South Chicago as explained in his book. The average teacher working at Thorton Township makes 83,000 a year. Some of the teachers in attendence that day made over 100,000 a year. Becuase of this, the school was not able to keep it's teachers for full days. Worse yet the Chicago Teachers Union, a early endorcer of Obama, resist any attempts to increase instruction time. The best that the school has been able to do was increase it by 15 minutes a school day, in exchage of a seven day reduction in the school year.
Could you get me some proof on these statisics?

BigLutz

Banned
Look back at what I said. The CRS is who defines an earmark, and according to the definition, the aid to Israel is an earmark because they are setting the money aside for Israel. You're debating McCain's sources not my sanity.
Here is the source, set to the page explaining McCain's earmarking for Israel.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/m012606.pdf#page=19

Problem is Isreal is a actual country. We give various aid to a wide variety of countries. Just becuase CRS says aid to a country is a ear mark does not make it so.

As I said, CRS says its an earmark, well, its an earmark... McCain was for the earmark. I'm sure, as a candidate for the presidency, that he has done his research on earmarks and knew full well what he supported was an earmark especially since he is supposedly so much against them

You havn't answered my question. Was it the Federal Budget for Isreal, or was it personally requested by McCain? Saying "I'm Sure" isn't good enough. Especially when you are going by one definition of a ear mark, a definition that by the main stream is considered wrong.

Fair enough but then again compared to Obama or Biden on Earmarks, both McCain and Palin have done far less wasteful spending. And no the Isreal = Ear Marks argument is utterly wrong. Nor does it negate the major reforms that Palin has brought to Alaska.

Once again, you're calling CRS' official definition of an earmark insane. Here's the link statng McCain's support for the 52 billion for Israel and his flip-flopping to claim to stop a mess he recently supported

Yes I am claiming it is wrong. Second you still have not answered my question as to if it was privately put in by McCain, or the Federal Budget. That makes a huge difference. If it was the Federal Budget for Isreal, then it isn't a ear mark. If it was privately put into another bill by McCain then it is a earmark.

Infact doing a total search of the CRS document you posted, there is not a single mention of McCain. Listen any group can make their own definition of Ear Marks. Big Al refered to the Iraq war a few months ago as a Ear Mark for McCain. The truth is though that traditionally the ear mark definition goes by something some one personally requests for his or her state.

Infact I am wondering where you even got the 52 Billion Number, it isn't in the PDF file you sent. And this website right here.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3362402,00.html

Shows only a 2.4 Billion in Aid is given to Isreal each year.

Infact the only thing I could find with Aid to Isreal that contained the number 52 and Billion was this.

http://thelastbestplace.blogspot.com/2005/07/us-senate-israel-support-update-10.html

Senate Approves Foreign Aid Bill With $2.52 Billion for Israel

The Senate has approved a foreign aid package that contains $2.52 billion in assistance for Israel. The bill would provide Israel with $2.28 billion in military aid and $240 million in economic assistance this fiscal year. The measure also contains a variety of provisions important to the U.S. pro-Israel community, including oversight requirements to ensure that aid to the Palestinians is spent properly. Administrations and lawmakers of both parties have long supported aid to Israel in order to ensure the security of the United States' most reliable ally in the Middle East. The House of Representatives approved a foreign aid bill similar to the Senate version earlier this year.

Also, your post seems remarkably simular to this one found here on this incrediably biased far left wing website.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/16/mccain-aid-israel/

No wonder you are using the CRS document, as it's term for "Earmarks" is one of the broadest and most outrageous of all of the accounting groups.

Could you get me some proof on these statisics?

http://www.championnews.net/district.php?did=328&year=2007

Here is the Thorton Township School District, the statistics came from this website and were repeated in the book: The Case Against Barack Obama.

Last edited:

Strants

And McCain was able to get out a very bipartisan message to indepdents. Which could end up helping him overall in the long run.
Personally, I'd think that having Palin as his VP might negatively effect McCain with independants. I mean, the Democrats have already been trying to spread dissent by comparing McCain to Bush, a person who most independants don't really like (or so I would assume, if only from the fact that Bush isn't the most popular person in the first place). And Palin isn't exactly a moderate, either.

BigLutz

Banned
Personally, I'd think that having Palin as his VP might negatively effect McCain with independants. I mean, the Democrats have already been trying to spread dissent by comparing McCain to Bush, a person who most independants don't really like (or so I would assume, if only from the fact that Bush isn't the most popular person in the first place). And Palin isn't exactly a moderate, either.

She isn't a moderate, but then again neither is Biden. But she has taken a moderate's stance on corruption, attacking both members of her own party and the opposition. Not to mention, and you forgot the biggest part, is that she has Middle America appeal. Out of the 4 Cannidates, she is the most appealing and the most down to Earth out of all of them. McCain will gain the Independents. Palin is going after the Middle American Single Moms and Families who dont really vote but find her the most appealing out of the four cannidates.

Edit: Well Obama continues to lose credibility and to show just how scared he is. Not only has he gone crawling back to Hillary Clinton, not only has he lied about what Republicans are saying about him. But now he has brought out the big card against Palin.

She isn't just like Bush/Cheney, she is MORE Bush/Cheney than McCain!

Anyone that believes Obama is using the Bush/Cheney line as anything more than a grab for Political Gain, is fooling themselves now. Its funny to watch this coward squirm, and really at this point, anyone that takes Obama seriously after this just has Political Blinders on. The more he screams Bush/Cheney, the more people are going to look at him as the biggest Political Joke since the Dean Scream.

Is it too late to bring back Hillary and have a respectable campiagn?

Last edited:

Scizito_92

koledge graduit!!!11
She isn't just like Bush/Cheney, she is MORE Bush/Cheney than McCain!

Anyone that believes Obama is using the Bush/Cheney line as anything more than a grab for Political Gain, is fooling themselves now. Its funny to watch this coward squirm, and really at this point, anyone that takes Obama seriously after this just has Political Blinders on. The more he screams Bush/Cheney, the more people are going to look at him as the biggest Political Joke since the Dean Scream.

What is an ad, if not a grab for political gain? Infact, to save me the trouble of listing, isn't anything done by someone running for presidency of the United States a grab for political gain? Sure, there could be more to it, but for the most part, it is nothing more than a grab for political gain.

Also, it bothers me that you refer to Obama as a "coward". I thought we were past 5th grade level name calling.
Is it too late to bring back Hillary and have a respectable campiagn?

Is it too late to have a respectable debate between Barak Obama and John McCain?

BigLutz

Banned
What is an ad, if not a grab for political gain? Infact, to save me the trouble of listing, isn't anything done by someone running for presidency of the United States a grab for political gain? Sure, there could be more to it, but for the most part, it is nothing more than a grab for political gain.

That is true, except in this case Obama has taken out the trustworthy factor. Originally you could say he was putting the Bush/Cheney title squarely on McCain for his own reasons. Reasons that were defended by a few here. Now that he has not only applied it to Palin, but used the School Yard taunt of "Doubling" it to paraphrase. It is more apparent that he is just throwing it out against any Republican no matter their policy or behavior.

also, it bothers me that you refer to Obama as a "coward". I thought we were past 5th grade level name calling.

I believe Obama has earned the title of Coward. Not only does he constantly say he wants to debate McCain before running away. But he also continues to put words in McCain's mouth. 4 Times now he has said McCain and Republicans will use Obama's race against him or any Muslim heritage that he might have. Not only is this a out right lie, but McCain has even spoken out against anyone that would dare do such a thing. Infact many times McCain has praised Obama, doing it twice in the time span of one week. Once at the RNC Convention, and once in a very respectable comercial during Obama's acceptance speach.

Make no mistake, tactics like those that Obama is using ARE cowardly.

And worst of all, tactics like these only fuel the lie that Republicans are racist bigots, and if Obama loses it will only give more ammo and more of a excuse to believe that McCain attacked Obama becuase of his race. That a Old Evil White Man kept a Young Black Man down by bringing about racist hatred for the Black Man. Crap like this is absolute poison to our society, and will only help destroy MLK's dream, instead of helping it in any way.

Is it too late to have a respectable debate between Barak Obama and John McCain?

Once Obama started playing the race card, and is now continuing to lie now that Palin is sinking his ship. Any possibility of a respectable campaign between McCain and this scum went out the door.

Last edited:

Kyogre35

First avy..no touchy
Cutiebunny it is usless, San FRan, LA, all make it immpossible to make it a REpublican state.

Does anyone have a Electoral College Map? I wonder how both candinate are doing.

Edit: Gallup today is interesting....http://www.gallup.com/poll/election2008.aspx...even though it was yesturday, Gallup does 3 day polls and this poll from yesturday has showed a bump for the McCain/Palin ticket.

Edit 2: Rasmussen says it's a TIE!!! http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ial_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll I knew that McCain and Palin would get a bump.

Edit 3: Thanks for the Electoral map. I disagree with some spots to.

Last edited:

ForteDS

Luxray eats hackers.
Yes, it is a shame that Illinois's vote is for Obama. I'm a republican, though one of my friends is a democrat, it seems. If Ralph Wiggum were in this election, I would hope that he's a republican. Pick a winner!

Edit: It's implied that I live in Illinois, so don't say that it would be obvious that Obama is popular in Illinois. I'm just saying that when another republican sees that I (and my parents, who can actually vote) live in Illinois, I don't want them to assume that I'm a democrat.

Last edited:
I really have to say I am at a loss at this election. Researching Sarah Palin, I'm afraid I could never vote for McCain now. If this man dies, we will get an extreme right-wing Social Conservative. Someone against abortion even in rape and incest, someone who is EXTREMELY against gay rights, wants ABSTINENCE only sex education, and believes Creationism should be taught in our schools.

Sorry, John, but after electing such a nut job, I'd rather go back to Obama ANY day.

BigLutz

Banned
and believes Creationism should be taught in our schools.

This is one of the lies that were being thrown around. In reality she only wanted Creationism brought up into the class room if the Students were to ask questions about it. Allowing a open discussion to take place in the classroom, instead of trying to hide it away.

And really you do have to realize right now that alot of information you find about Palin will be twisted, I am not saying its wrong. But the Media and Obamafans are out in force to try and discredit her now that he is losing.

Edit: Here is a Interview from Palin.

Palin said:
In an interview Thursday, Palin said she meant only to say that discussion of alternative views should be allowed to arise in Alaska classrooms:

“I don’t think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn’t have to be part of the curriculum.”

She added that, if elected, she would not push the state Board of Education to add such creation-based alternatives to the state’s required curriculum.

Members of the state school board, which sets minimum requirements, are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Legislature.

“I won’t have religion as a litmus test, or anybody’s personal opinion on evolution or creationism,” Palin said.

Sorry, John, but after electing such a nut job, I'd rather go back to Obama ANY day.

C'mon Carlisle you have been around here for months. When compared to Palin, Obama is still a bigger nut job.

And really I cannot understand this crap about McCain dying. His mother is still freaking alive and kicking, that family has some long term genes.

Anyway in celebrating Obama's 6 point free fall, one of the new Ads has hit the internet, this one while not flashy goes after Obama and the new Jailed Mayor of Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SODIFZXIPA

And another story that seems to be going around is that over at Invesco field, thousands of American Flags that were given to the crowd for the Obama speach, were thrown into trashbins and dumpsters. One of the vendors found them, and alerted the McCain campaign which came down and got them, cleaned them, sorted them out, and then distributed them to the crowd at a campaign rally.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
hmm.. if i had to choice of VP, i would go Biden over Palin.

but it's not like McCain is going to die during the inaugural speech. if palin gets off too late she cant really do much.

This is one of the lies that were being thrown around. In reality she only wanted Creationism brought up into the class room if the Students were to ask questions about it. Allowing a open discussion to take place in the classroom, instead of trying to hide it away.
Of course discussion of it should be allowed, especially in debate class, but anything supporting it should be banned unless it's in religion class.

And really you do have to realize right now that alot of information you find about Palin will be twisted, I am not saying its wrong. But the Media and Obamafans are out in force to try and discredit her now that he is losing.
She's a Social Conservative, and that's the worst thing we need in a president.

C'mon Carlisle you have been around here for months. When compared to Palin, Obama is still a bigger nut job.
I rather have the economy messed up than human rights.

And really I cannot understand this crap about McCain dying. His mother is still freaking alive and kicking, that family has some long term genes.
I don't think he'll die because of his age or anything. Just a possibility. He has much chance of dying as Obama.

BigLutz

Banned
Of course discussion of it should be allowed, especially in debate class, but anything supporting it should be banned unless it's in religion class.

Which if you notice Palin agrees with you on. She isn't going to put Bibles in class rooms she already pointed that out in the interview. But if some one in a class brings up "Well I was taught this" a teacher should be able to explain it, instead of telling the student to sit down and shut up.

She's a Social Conservative, and that's the worst thing we need in a president.

And Obama is a very far left Social Liberal. Hey I do not agree on everything Palin agrees with. But when it comes to Abortion I tend to lean more in Palin's direction than Obama's. Mainly becuase of Obama being incredibly wobbily on Late Term Abortions and his opposition to the Born Alive Bill.

I rather have the economy messed up than human rights.

Except Obama wouldn't just bring around a messed up economy and you know that.

I don't think he'll die because of his age or anything. Just a possibility. He has much chance of dying as Obama.

He does, and so does Biden. Which would put Nancy Pelosi in the White House, or the Republican Speaker if they win back the House in 2010. And I think we can all agree we do not want Nancy Pelosi in the White House.

Last edited:

BillyBob15

<- Newest shiny
Except Obama wouldn't just bring around a messed up economy and you know that.
Could you elaborate on this please?

He does, and so does Biden. Which would put Nancy Pelosi in the White House, or the Republican Speaker if they win back the House in 2010. And I think we can all agree we do not want Nancy Pelosi in the White House.
and we can all agree that we don't want Palin as president either. She does seem like a nice down to earth person, a nice person to eat moose burgers with at dinner. But what scares me is that, if something does happen to McCain (extremely unlikely, but still possible), Palin will have to fight for America alone. Its great she's a supportive hockey mom, but i don't imagine any other countries taking her seriously. In foreign affairs, our opinions don't matter, its the other countries and their leaders. She will have to represent America when approaching terrorists, Muslim officials (many who view women past a sub-human level), and she may have to deal with wars. She does have a lack of experience, especially in foreign affairs, because she's spent most of her time dealing with state issues, not much international and foreign issues. And she still is a rather unknown, especially to the rest of the world. These will take serious tolls on her when trying to settle ongoing violence, genocides and what not. I don't know if she is the person we want representing america.

BigLutz

Banned
Could you elaborate on this please?

Well I think that Obama would bring about more Jimmy Carter era Economy reforms so that will absolutely kill our economy.

Outside of that Obama's reluctance to drill keeps us shackled to foreign oil for another 4 years.

Obama wanting to cut Military Funding and a Missle Shield while Iran is building Nukes and Russia just built a nuke that could reach the Western Coast easily is dangerous.

Obama wanting a drastic pull out of Iraq with out conditions on the ground could leave that country in utter chaos.

He has shown no effort to curb the Earmarks in Congress, even gaining his own fair share of them ( Some of which could even be eyes as corrupt, such as the one given to his wife's hospital after his wife was given a raise ).

Obama also has shown a massive failure in judgement when it comes to people he assossiates himself with. Something that could be disasterous when choosing his advisors and nominations.

The list both Foreign and Domestic keeps going on and on and on.

and we can all agree that we don't want Palin as president either.

We can ALL agree?

but i don't imagine any other countries taking her seriously.

And you honestly think they will take Freshman Senator Obama seriously?

She does have a lack of experience, especially in foreign affairs, because she's spent most of her time dealing with state issues, not much international and foreign issues.

And the same could go to Obama, who has delt more with Domestic Issues than foreign issues.

Mind you if it was any other state I would agree with you. But with her state bordering both Russia and Canada, that means the Governor typically has to deal with officials from both countries. Just as Bush had to deal with officials from Mexico as Governor of Texas.

Also I do want to add on the Abortion front with Carlisle, that I do disagree with Palin on Early Term Abortions. Infact I would say I think most of middle American tends to disagree with her on that. But I strongly disagree with Obama on the Born Alive Act, and his waffling on Late Term Abortions tends to scare me.

And lets remember that Palin if put in as the President would have to deal with a hostile Democrat controlled Congress who would rather hang themselves than pass any radical pro life legislation or allow any pro life appointments. The same could be said for Obama, as radical as he is, I dont see the Democrats going after radical pro choice legislation. Becuase truthfully they want to stay in power longer than 2 years. So I would say that Abortion really is a mute issue right now.

Also the newest Gallup Poll has McCain leading by 3. Giving his Convention Bounce a total of 11 points so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.