• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official American Election 2008 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
i didn't ignore anything. where do you think Americans' votes go to?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
simply because we dont elect the president directly doesnt meant they literally go 'nowhere'.

BigLutz

Banned
Way to ignore that.

Yes, our votes our useless. They really are if lets say if every single person in the country voted for Hillary, but McCain still won because of the Electoral College.

Seeing how the Electorial College has only gone against the popular vote twice in what 43 Elections? I would have to say the odds of that scenero happening is impossible. Especially since the last time it happened, it was a legitimate Electorial College win by the amount of states won.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
(is still waiting for the Christian Coalition to jump on the "Obama is teh anti-christ" wagon)

I think this is the first election that I have taken part in that I really *don't* care. Yes, that's right - I don't care, so much so that I might waste my vote on voting for myself for president.

All this talk of change scares me because there won't be any change simply because the people that run this country are the wealthy. Corporations give nice endowments to members of the House and the Senate. The members, in turn, vote for whatever their client wants.

In 2006, it was the same story with the Democrats wanting to obtain seats in the House. "Vote for change!" was the slogan. But tell me, in over a year since the Democrats obtained the majority, has anything been accomplished? Has no child truly been left behind? How about Immigration - are the borders secure yet? What about all the promises that the Democrats made about removing the troops in Iraq in time for Christmas 2007?

You know, it's funny, really. I ocassionally get these idiots who tell me "I'm in America because I want freedom."

And my response to them...

"If you find it in America, tell me where."

BigLutz

Banned
You know, you are right Cutie, nothing is going to change. The war will keep going, they wont deal with the border until a city is nuked. And gas prices are still going up.

Right now I do not care who it is, I do not care what party it is. But the first one that is in favor of say taking old Military bases and turning them into refineries. As well as drilling in Alaska and off the Gulf Coast. I will vote for a heartbeat.

We can survive another 4 years with out Universal Healthcare. If you want to help America, if you want to help the economy. Drill in Alaska, get us off Foreign Oil, and fix the damn Oil Prices. That way we arn't paying 4 Dollars a Gallon. Prices of Goods will go down, and everyone has more money in their pockets.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
If you want to help America, if you want to help the economy. Drill in Alaska, get us off Foreign Oil, and fix the damn Oil Prices. That way we arn't paying 4 Dollars a Gallon. Prices of Goods will go down, and everyone has more money in their pockets.

You'll still be paying more at the pump anyways, regardless of whether we drilled in Alaska, Arkansas or OZ.

Haven't you noticed that as the supply seems to become 'scarce', the more Big Oil seems to make a profit? Look at their profits from the years of 2006 and 2007. They're making record profits each and every year, yet jack up the price of gas because it's supposedly 'scarce'. If it's so scarce, why are they making record profits? Shouldn't they be feeling the pinch as much as the next consumer is?

The only thing that will bring down the gas prices is a drastic decrease in world consumption. The US will have to start driving hybrids or other cars that run on non-gasoline sources(ie. Cars that run on cooking oil - can you imagine seeing people pay for used McDonalds fry grease!).

In Brazil, they run on gas which is created from sugar cane because, in the 1970s, gas, too was very high. Instead of trying to fight the increase, Brazil went another route and used its sugarcane as a fuel source. The US has only begun doing this with corn(and hence why corn prices have gone up), however, sugarcane produces far more energy than corn does.

If more and more large consumers of oil(and coal) begin to resort to alternative fuel en masse, then I would expect to see two things occur:

1) Gas prices sharply decrease.

2) 'Big Oil' invests in alternative fuel sources.

Number 2 has already happened; Toyota has, thus far, spent the most money on hybrid research and design.

BigLutz

Banned
Haven't you noticed that as the supply seems to become 'scarce', the more Big Oil seems to make a profit? Look at their profits from the years of 2006 and 2007. They're making record profits each and every year, yet jack up the price of gas because it's supposedly 'scarce'. If it's so scarce, why are they making record profits? Shouldn't they be feeling the pinch as much as the next consumer is?

The reason why it is 'scarce' is that OPEC refuses to raise production levels, China is increasingly wanting more and more oil, and the price of oil is thus raised. Add that in that we havn't actually built a refinery in 30 years, the price goes up higher when it reaches here.

Drilling in Alaska and elsewhere takes that out of the equation. The US Oil Companies would not be buying from OPEC producing nations, but the American Government, as well as using new refineries. At that point the Oil Companies would be forced to drop the prices, or face price gouging law suits by the American Government. As well as lose their oil contracts given to them by the Government.

The only thing that will bring down the gas prices is a drastic decrease in world consumption. The US will have to start driving hybrids or other cars that run on non-gasoline sources(ie. Cars that run on cooking oil - can you imagine seeing people pay for used McDonalds fry grease!).

I totally agree, but we are not going to switch a majority of this nation off of oil for another 20 or so years. Drilling in Alaska and such would be a quick fix sollution that could sustain us while the American People move toward hybrids and none gasoline sources.

You know, you are right Cutie, nothing is going to change. The war will keep going, they wont deal with the border until a city is nuked. And gas prices are still going up.

Right now I do not care who it is, I do not care what party it is. But the first one that is in favor of say taking old Military bases and turning them into refineries. As well as drilling in Alaska and off the Gulf Coast. I will vote for a heartbeat.

We can survive another 4 years with out Universal Healthcare. If you want to help America, if you want to help the economy. Drill in Alaska, get us off Foreign Oil, and fix the damn Oil Prices. That way we arn't paying 4 Dollars a Gallon. Prices of Goods will go down, and everyone has more money in their pockets.

I think you were the person who mentioned this...I'm not sure, but whatever.

Hillary has jumped on the National Security issue, and it's finally putting Obama in a bad spot. She's going to win Texas and Ohio, either way, though.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
She's going to win Texas and Ohio, either way, though.

personally, i'm leading towards obama but i dont think hillary has it for sure.

Ethan

Banned
Just to divert the topic somewhat, which of the candidates do you believe has the strongest stance on foreign policy? Why?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...

BigLutz

Banned
I think you were the person who mentioned this...I'm not sure, but whatever.

Yep it was me, and it is something I see happening soon in the future as Gas Prices continue to rise. The Democrats in Congress are going to have to decide either listen to the will of the American People and drill in Alaska. Or listen to the will of the Far Left Environmental Groups.

Bablyon said:
Just to divert the topic somewhat, which of the candidates do you believe has the strongest stance on foreign policy? Why?

McCain obviously. Obama's Foreign Policy stance is utterly laughable. And while I think Clinton has the skill to do well with Foreign Policy, it was her husband's Foreign Policy that put us in the war situation we are now. With McCain he has the Foreign Policy to keep doing what needs to be done against Al Qaeda. He can stand up for his ideals, no matter what people say ( Something very Bush like, which is good ). And he has the personal experience with torture to be able to give some reassurance to the world on how America treats our prisoners.

Asaspades

Evil Monkey!!!
McCain obviously. Obama's Foreign Policy stance is utterly laughable. And while I think Clinton has the skill to do well with Foreign Policy, it was her husband's Foreign Policy that put us in the war situation we are now. With McCain he has the Foreign Policy to keep doing what needs to be done against Al Qaeda. He can stand up for his ideals, no matter what people say ( Something very Bush like, which is good ). And he has the personal experience with torture to be able to give some reassurance to the world on how America treats our prisoners.

Lol, yes clinton was to blame. Never mind that we actually sponsered and gave rise to bin laden years before. Yes your absolutly right, clinton was to blame. (sarcastic)

Lol, yes clinton was to blame. Never mind that we actually sponsered and gave rise to bin laden years before. Yes your absolutly right, clinton was to blame. (sarcastic)

Considering Bill Clinton could have caught Bin Laden, but didn't. It is his fault.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Considering Bill Clinton could have caught Bin Laden, but didn't. It is his fault.

I don't think people are taking into consideration the man behind Hillary at all times, however. Even if we protest against it, Hillary supporters will brush off the so-called "attacks" on Hillary and continue supporting her. Barack definitely would be better suited for the presidency than Hillary would. Bill is the monkey wrench in Hillary's campaign, one that many fail to see.

I don't think people are taking into consideration the man behind Hillary at all times, however. Even if we protest against it, Hillary supporters will brush off the so-called "attacks" on Hillary and continue supporting her. Barack definitely would be better suited for the presidency than Hillary would. Bill is the monkey wrench in Hillary's campaign, one that many fail to see.

Barack will be a disaster. Seriously, I agree with BigLutz. He depends on the young people. That = loser.

This isn't Bill. This is Hillary. Two different people. Besides, Bushy wouldn't like it if we caught Osama. Know why? Cause then the jig would be up. His not-so-clever facade would crumble, and he could no longer hoodwink the country into believing the War in Iraq is a war on terrorism. Cause it's not. I want to discuss the health care plans of Obama and Clinton. Obama's plan will make it cost 2500 bucks for a family. Hillary's will be free. Whose is better?

BigLutz

Banned
Lol, yes clinton was to blame. Never mind that we actually sponsered and gave rise to bin laden years before.

Sponsered? No we didn't sponser Bin Laden, Operation Cyclone never came near Bin Laden. Gave Rise? That happened during the Clinton Administration.

Yes your absolutly right, clinton was to blame. (sarcastic)

He is, he had multiple oppertunities to capture him, and did not. He also let Bin Laden's crimes go unpunished. Allowing Bin Laden to get more and more aggressive.

This isn't Bill. This is Hillary. Two different people.

Two Different People, Same Foreign Policy.

Bushy wouldn't like it if we caught Osama. Know why? Cause then the jig would be up. His not-so-clever facade would crumble,

May I be the first to say that you are a absolute idiot. Of course Bush would want to catch Bin Laden. Anyone in the Government would want to. Saying they wouldn't is complete and utter arrogance of the highest order.

and he could no longer hoodwink the country into believing the War in Iraq is a war on terrorism. Cause it's not.

Last time I checked it was, unless you have not heard of a organization called "Al Qaeda in Iraq."

I want to discuss the health care plans of Obama and Clinton. Obama's plan will make it cost 2500 bucks for a family. Hillary's will be free. Whose is better?

Neither, Hillary's isnt free, it will come out of your taxes, the same with Obama. Both would drive this country into absolute debt in which we could never crawl out of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.