• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Ash-Greninja Discussion Thread

How many feats of Ash-Greninja’s would be in the TOP 5 feats of Ash’s Pokémon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genaller

Silver Soul
The topic of Ash-Greninja is one that permeates across several different threads on this forum. Since practically everyone is probably sick and tired of the endless discussions across multiple threads involving the frog, let’s all collectively agree to mostly limit such discussions to a single thread namely this one! Anything from Ash-Greninja vs Pokémon X (so don’t use the versus thread for A-G matchups since that’s what lead to the first one getting closed) to how strong Ash-Greninja is in general to opinions about how Ash-Greninja was handled narratively to even the meta opinions on Ash-Greninja (e.g. Ash-Greninja is the most overrated Pokémon in anime history). Whenever fellow PAD members start up a major discussion that heavily involves Ash-Greninja, please direct them to this thread where they may discuss ad nauseum to their hearts’ content ;).

I’ll start; this is how strong I think Ash-Greninja is:

VA-G = Veil Ash-Greninja, MA-G = Mastered Ash-Greninja and MG = Mega Gardevoir.

The Main Argument

1. Prior to starting his battle with Diantha, Ash states “Greninja, in our last battle with Diantha, we got defeated even before Gardevoir mega evolved” while we see a clip of Gardevoir wrecking Pikachu after which he says “But we’ve gained a lot of experience since then”.

2. After Gardevoir dodges Greninja’s first attack, Clemont states “They really are amazing” and then Serena states “They can communicate via mere eye-contact!”. Gardevoir then dodges several more attacks after which Ash says “At this rate, this is going to end up like last time. Gardevoir is too fast; we can’t get a hold of it”. We then cut to a worried sweating Pikachu and then Serena says “I expected nothing less from Diantha” and Clemont says “Dealing damage to the Champion will not be that easy”. Ash also says “she predicts our every move” after Gardevoir dodges a flurry of Water Shuriken and then Greninja gets flung back hitting a tree from the mere shockwave of Moonbalst. Since they have seen Gardevoir perform before, the above statements wouldn’t be made if Gardevoir was severely suppressing her capabilities.

3. Due to (2.) Greninja being able to land a hit on Gardevoir is both an impressive feat on Ash’s part for coming up with using the steam from Water Shuriken as cover for a surprise Cut and on Greninja’s part for causing actual damage on Gardevoir indicated by her flinching and moaning. Furthermore (2.) provides support for all later mentioned A-G feats in this battle also being impressive.

4. After the initial Cut vs Shadow Ball clash between VA-G and Gardevoir, Gardevoir (via momentum) is pushed back while moaning after which Diantha states “Had that hit, we wouldn’t have stood a chance”. This indicates that VA-G was capable of dealing substantial damage on Gardevoir. Later on when VA-G goes in for a Cut Diantha for the first time visibly calls out “Dodge!” indicating a shift in how seriously she’s taking this battle. After VA-G is able to strike Gardevoir with Cut, Diantha visibly gasps in surprise and then Serena says “They caught up...” with Bonnie finishing “...to Gardevoir’s speed!”

5. Due to (4.) Diantha used ME because VA-G proved itself to be an opponent warranting its use and based on (1.) this narratively symbolizes Ash being good enough as a trainer for making a Champion resort to ME. Note that warranting ME needn’t mean that VA-G > Base Gardevoir, but it does mean that VA-G was sufficiently close to her in strength a.k.a there’s a cap on how much better than VA-G Base Gardevoir could have been. These conclusions are further enforced right after Gardevoir MEing by Ash saying “She finally mega evolved it!” and Serena stating “They’ve got Diantha and Gardevoir backed into a corner!”.

6. Mega Gardevoir is able to fully block VA-G’s Aerial Ace upon MEing, then MG again fully blocks another Aerial Ace with Reflect, but after Clemont says “I have never seen these waves before”, VA-G uses Cut (that may or may not have been augmented by Double Team) and the Reflect barrier collapses indicating that MG could not fully block this attack.

7. After achieving MA-G, it launches the Water Shuriken on its back and MG responds by launching an especially strong Shadow Ball which is depicted as the fusion of several smaller Shadow Balls (which indicates that the attack was far more dense in addition to having greater volume). It’s safe to say that this was significantly stronger than any regular Shadow Ball MG has used including those used both later and in XY 28 to send TRio blasting off and break through their barrier cage respectively. Despite this Water Shuriken outright overpowers this “multi-fused” Shadow Ball and strikes MG with her moaning both at the moment of contact and when the Water Shuriken explodes; the sheer force then flings MG back with her then falling on the ground, and we see visible bruises on her (while she’s in the air at least). Note that shortly after Gardevoir MEs, MG and VA-G have a Shadow Ball vs Water Shuriken clash and cancel each other out. While this doesn’t mean that they were equal, it does mean that 1 move could only be so much stronger than the other. Let’s call this “max ratio” X. If we consider VA-G’s Water Shuriken to be the stronger move in that clash, then we have Pow(VA-G WS)/Pow(MG regular SB) =< X and Pow(MA-G WS)/Pow(MG multi-fused SB) > X which implies Pow(MA-G WS)/Pow(MG multi-fused SB) > Pow(VA-G WS)/Pow(MG Regular SB) <=> Pow(MA-G WS)/Pow(VA-G WS) > Pow(MG multi-fused SB)/Pow(MG regular SB) where Pow() is the power function that takes a Pokémon’s damaging move as an input and returns a positive real number (a.k.a the power of the move) as an output. For the record, if we had instead assumed that MG’s regular Shadow Ball was the stronger move, then we would obtain an even greater disparity between VA-G and MA-G’s power (try working it out! :)). Based on this we can conclude that MA-G at the end of the battle was significantly stronger than what VA-G was right after Diantha MEed Gardevoir. The strength progression during the battle is supported by (6.).

8. After battling Ash-Greninja and sending TRio blasting off, Gardevoir falls to her knees panting in exhaustion with Diantha saying “That really was a bit too much, wasn’t it?” to her. This state was primarily caused by the Greninja/A-G battle with the evidence being the sheer amount of time spent battling A-G in addition to the number of moves used against it relative to TRio where only 2 moves were used and they were dispatched quickly. Also “full power” was MG emitting a full power blast of Psychic energy (a.k.a Psychic) to break her shackles rather than her merely “powering up” since in Pokemon (unlike say DBZ) destructive energy isn’t emitted by merely powering up unless you’re going from 1 state to another (e.g. Ash’s Infernape going from Base to Blaze). There have also been other instances where “full power” has been used after which the Pokémon has shown no signs of exhaustion whatsoever (e.g. Pikachu using full power on his Thunder when facing Juan in order to overpower the 5th Ice Ball). The interaction with TRio did push her over the edge in terms of stamina drain, but primary credit for her accumulated stamina drain unequivocally goes to (Ash-)Greninja.

9. Intuitive Conclusion: The boost from initial VA-G -> MA-G based on (7.) would more than compensate for the cap mentioned in (5.).

10. Therefore, Mastered Ash-Greninja >= Diantha’s Base Gardevoir as of XYZ 25

Supplementary Argument

11. In XYZ 38; right after the A-G transformation Alain states “Thank you, Ash. I’ve been waiting for you to show that full power of yours. Take me to even higher stages!” After a while of intense battling, Alain says “I’m having a lot of fun right now. I’m grateful to you for making me feel this way” and Alain again thanks Ash at the end of their battle. Finally Alain says “Through this battle, Ash and his Pokémon made us grow” when talking to his Charizard’s Poke Ball. Based on this Ash and A-G pushed Alain and MC-X the most since they went through their rigorous training between ME Acts 3 and 4. In addition this low key confirms that Ash-Greninja > Kalos League Pikachu since despite Pikachu’s performance, it is only Ash-Greninja whom Alain acknowledges as Ash’s full power.

12. We know that Alain and MC-X lost to Siebold in ME Act 1 and got owned by Primal Groudon in Act 3; however, believe it or not people don’t have scouters in Pokémon (unless you’re Clemont)! By this I mean Alain can’t go “Pokémon A was this much stronger than my MC-X and my MC-X’s strength has increased by so and so, therefore that Pokémon would now beat/loose to MC-X with X difficulty”. Alain needs to actually have a proper battle with a Pokémon to discern how well that Pokémon would fare against the now stronger MC-X and of all the opponents he’s faced, Ash-Greninja gave post ME Act 4 MC-X the best fight. This is further supported by MC-X stumbling against A-G and not against MDoom, and while Alain’s Zard was previously damaged by Pikachu in the KL finals, it had substantial stamina drain from facing 9 ME Pokémon and we also know it wasn’t at full health despite healing between some battles based on its visible bruise marks prior to facing MDoom in ME Act 4.

13. Based on (11.) and (12.) Ash-Greninja >= Malva’s Mega Houndoom as of XYZ 38

Additional Conclusion

14. Based on the progression of A-G’s max power WSs from vs Diantha to vs Sawyer KL semis to vs Alain KL finals, XYZ 38 A-G > XYZ 25 A-G.

Note: If anyone believes that Malva didn’t go all-out agaisnt Alain because when Mega Houndoom had MC-X on the ground Malva chose to tease/provoke Alain rather than continue attacking, then note that Alain was also not battling optimally since he had a major falling out with Marin which would unquestionably affect his mental state. Matter of fact MC-X performs noticeably better after Alain gives a speech about reaffirming his bond with Charizard which ties into Ash’s statement in XY 75 about the attitude of the trainer rubbing off on the Pokémon. When facing Malva, Alain’s mental state was initially still reeling from him yelling at Marin (a person important to him), but after finding his resolve to be the strongest with Charizard, he became fully focused on the battle (a.k.a Malva’s provocation ironically helped Alain battle optimally).

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Ehh... I'm not going to debate how strong Ash Greninja is since I already answered that in an old thread and I'm bad at debating at whether he's stronger than Pokémon X or whatever countermoves he made or attacks he tanked to signify how strong he's gotten at a certain point. @_@

Can I just say, isn't it a somewhat uncreative decision that Greninja is needed in Kalos just to terminate some weeds? But it also fits Greninja because his powers is what helped take down the Legendary Giant Rock (by locating Hari san) and Greninja will still be considered an active aiding hero instead of being transferred to Professor Oak's ranch. But, couldn't they had found a better reason? I don't know, Greninja seemed to have more potential than just being a weed locator. At least say Greninja is the protector of Kalos by defending it against other Team Flare members who are terrorizing the city or make it Greninja's choice to stay there because Kalos is his home.

Also, this might be a good debate, but can we argue whether or not Greninja is officially released? I checked Bulbapedia today and it's saying that Greninja is released but I honestly don't believe Greninja has been released. Ash kept his Pokeball which means that once Greninja is done taking care of the weed problem in Kalos, he can come back. We never saw Ash release him, he only gave it a hug and officially releasing Greninja would be an unnecessary waste. The title "Goodbye Ash-Greninja!" isn't because Ash released him and will no longer be able to unlock Ash-Greninja but it was because Ash and Greninja are separated by distance and will be moving on to their own lives.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ash-Greninja is located in exactly somewhere in between Mega Charizard X and Mega Sceptile. That's the most honest interpretation of Ash-Greninja's power level anyone can give.

I personally put it on par with Base (non-Mega evolved) Champion Aces and Mega Evolved Aces based on its bout against Mega Gardevoir and Mega Charizard X.

Based on how its imperfect form was able to pressurize Diantha's Gardevoir enough to Mega Evolve, supported by Serena saying They got Carnet-san and Sirnight backed into a corner!. And it's very much reasonable to say that the audience's opinion are most of the times the writer's interpretation of how the battle was going on. And while it's true that it was a sparring session which Diantha used to test Ash-Greninja's power, it's still evident from the conclusive evidences in the episode that after Greninja transformed into Ash-Greninja, Diantha was really surprised to see increase in strength in Greninja's power, and started taking the battle much more seriously. Proof: Unlike how against Magnus, Pikachu and Base Greninja she was merely using eye-commands to tell Gardevoir dodge, she started giving Gardevoir vocal commands in a much more serious and optimal tone(and yet Gardevoir failed to dodge Imperfect Ash-Greninja's attack). Sure Diantha never went all-out in the battle, but it's clearly evident that she was trying much more later on in the battle post Ash-Greninja transformation than he was doing before.

The most key thing in the battle was after Ash-Greninja reached its Mastered form in the battle. Mega Gardevoir used a massive multi-fused Shadow Ball, which is arguably the strongest Shadow Ball we have ever seen Mega Gardevoir use, if we compare to all the other times where Mega Gardevoir used Shadow Ball in the anime, including the one used to break TR's trap in XY28. And Mastered Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken totally managed to overpower and pierce through that multi Shadow Ball combo and hit Mega Gardevoir causing visonly a lot of damage sending it flying with bruises on its body screaming in pain. The fact that Ash-Greninja managed to overpower one of the strongest variants of Gardevoir's Shadow Ball in its Mega form, suggest that even in a completely serious battle, Ash-Greninja would be more that capable of taking on Base Gardevoir.

From conclusive evidences in the anime, it's very much conclusive that Mega Evolution provides a massive boost to a Pokemon, pretty much doubling a Pokemon's power. So in case of a Champion like Diantha, who shares such a strong bond with her Gardevoir and and has so much experience as well, the boost will be automatically massive, meaning that Mega Gardevoir would be way more stronger than Base Gardevoir. So if in its Mastered form, Ash-Greninja can overpower one of the strongest variants of Mega Gardevoir's moves, then it's definitely not below Base Gardevoir's level. A Pokemon below Base Gardevoir's level would never be able to overpower one of Gardevoir's strongest moves in its Mega form.

Anyway, my honest opinion on how Ash-Greninja would fare in certain matchups:

*It can defeat Flint's Infernape in a tough fight.

*It can conceivably beat Diantha Base(non-Mega) Gardevoir and Malva's Mega Houndoom in a very close 1 vs 1 battle.

*It would lose to Cynthia's Garchomp in a very close and down to the wire battle.

*It would decisively lose to Diantha's Mega Gardevoir in a serious fight.

*It is decisively Ash's strongest Pokemon by power scaling as of now.

Last edited:

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I don't think Ash-Greninja is nearly as powerful as many people claim he is. When all is said and done, he has no real big feats to his name, especially in normal form, unlike Ash's other GPICSS team members. Peakachu, Charizard, and Sceptile have beaten Legendary Pokémon without major power enhancements. Snorlax always took down at least one opposing Pokémon before falling. Infernape has Blaze but is no slouch in normal form, either. The things is Ash-Greninja has no feats in normal form so we have no real base level to judge him. As for other feats, one can poke a lot of holes into his supposed feats, such as forcing Diantha's Mega Gardevoir to take him seriously and even put it in trouble in a battle.

For the holes in the feats, with the aforementioned battle against Mega Gardevoir, we don't know how powerful a Champion Diantha really is. When we see Cynthia or Steven, we see on screen that they are quite powerful. They have clear feats that show that they are deserving of the title and that their "secondary" jobs also involve their Pokémon. Diantha is a movie actress; and that is possibly her primary job. I didn't get the same vibe from her that I get from seeing Cynthia or Steven (note that I also don't get the same vibe from champions like Alder, either). Also, Ash-Greninja, while not in perfect form, did look to have a perfect form (no water veil, if I remember correctly), so his power may have spiked for that particular battle. And there is also the fact that the battle was no finished since Ash fainted, and we saw that despite being in trouble, a Pokémon is not necessarily out, as Alain's Mega Charizard X showed.

As for the battle against Wulfric, we had already seen Abomasnow get beaten in normal form by Ash's Hawlucha, a Pokémon that not generally seen as one of Ash's stronger Pokémon. So if Abomasnow lost to him, who's to say that Mega Abomasnow was all that powerful, either? The same thing with Sawyer's Mega Sceptile. Sawyer may have been a strategic genius, and his team performed far above their strength level, but in the end, I got the impression that his Pokémon were just not all that strong and he was the main reason why his team got so far in the Kalos League. Sawyer simply over-performed due to his genius and his penchant to learn from previous battles.

But when Ash-Greninja had the chance to get that really solid feat of beating a proven strong Pokémon, possibly one on a Legendary level, he fell flat. Alain's Mega Charizard X was not fresh at all when he faced Ash-Greninja, having taken at least one (possibly two) super effective Thunderbolts and a Quick Attack before facing off against Ash-Greninja. All Greninja had faced was the remains of a Weavile that had taken a Bide to the face and had one-hit KOed Goodra so Ash-Greninja clearly had the edge in terms of having suffered less damage than Charizard when they battled. And in the end, that battle was not all that close. Ash-Greninja was KOed while Alain's Mega Charizard X merely stumbled before catching his footing and recovering.

All in all, I do still think that Ash-Greninja is in Ash's top 6 in power. However, I would not necessarily put him at the top and say that he's stronger than Ash's Charizard or Peakachu just yet. He just doesn't have the actual feats to show that he's above them just yet, and a new form that's supposed to be like Mega Evolution isn't enough for me to put him above them just yet.

Navin

MALDREAD
I don't think Ash-Greninja is nearly as powerful as many people claim he is. When all is said and done, he has no real big feats to his name, especially in normal form, unlike Ash's other GPICSS team members. Peakachu, Charizard, and Sceptile have beaten Legendary Pokémon without major power enhancements. Snorlax always took down at least one opposing Pokémon before falling. Infernape has Blaze but is no slouch in normal form, either. The things is Ash-Greninja has no feats in normal form so we have no real base level to judge him. As for other feats, one can poke a lot of holes into his supposed feats, such as forcing Diantha's Mega Gardevoir to take him seriously and even put it in trouble in a battle.

For the holes in the feats, with the aforementioned battle against Mega Gardevoir, we don't know how powerful a Champion Diantha really is. When we see Cynthia or Steven, we see on screen that they are quite powerful. They have clear feats that show that they are deserving of the title and that their "secondary" jobs also involve their Pokémon. Diantha is a movie actress; and that is possibly her primary job. I didn't get the same vibe from her that I get from seeing Cynthia or Steven (note that I also don't get the same vibe from champions like Alder, either). Also, Ash-Greninja, while not in perfect form, did look to have a perfect form (no water veil, if I remember correctly), so his power may have spiked for that particular battle. And there is also the fact that the battle was no finished since Ash fainted, and we saw that despite being in trouble, a Pokémon is not necessarily out, as Alain's Mega Charizard X showed.

As for the battle against Wulfric, we had already seen Abomasnow get beaten in normal form by Ash's Hawlucha, a Pokémon that not generally seen as one of Ash's stronger Pokémon. So if Abomasnow lost to him, who's to say that Mega Abomasnow was all that powerful, either? The same thing with Sawyer's Mega Sceptile. Sawyer may have been a strategic genius, and his team performed far above their strength level, but in the end, I got the impression that his Pokémon were just not all that strong and he was the main reason why his team got so far in the Kalos League. Sawyer simply over-performed due to his genius and his penchant to learn from previous battles.

But when Ash-Greninja had the chance to get that really solid feat of beating a proven strong Pokémon, possibly one on a Legendary level, he fell flat. Alain's Mega Charizard X was not fresh at all when he faced Ash-Greninja, having taken at least one (possibly two) super effective Thunderbolts and a Quick Attack before facing off against Ash-Greninja. All Greninja had faced was the remains of a Weavile that had taken a Bide to the face and had one-hit KOed Goodra so Ash-Greninja clearly had the edge in terms of having suffered less damage than Charizard when they battled. And in the end, that battle was not all that close. Ash-Greninja was KOed while Alain's Mega Charizard X merely stumbled before catching his footing and recovering.

All in all, I do still think that Ash-Greninja is in Ash's top 6 in power. However, I would not necessarily put him at the top and say that he's stronger than Ash's Charizard or Peakachu just yet. He just doesn't have the actual feats to show that he's above them just yet, and a new form that's supposed to be like Mega Evolution isn't enough for me to put him above them just yet.

Thank you. This is the perfect post. It's clear he's among the top 6, top 3 even, but it's so painfully obvious based on his feats (or lack thereof) and losses that he's not meant to seen as some god that can 2 or 3 v 1 Ash's other powerhouses or bring down Champion-level Pokemon, as some people seem to imagine.

Genaller

Silver Soul
First of all thank you for sharing your opinion. To begin with its completely irrelevant as to how storing Base Greninja is since Greninja can transform at will (unlike say Infernape who can only enter Blaze when low on health). Can you convincingly argue that any of PICSS’s feats put them in the Champion Base Ace/E4 Mega Ace spectrum?

For the holes in the feats, with the aforementioned battle against Mega Gardevoir, we don't know how powerful a Champion Diantha really is. When we see Cynthia or Steven, we see on screen that they are quite powerful. They have clear feats that show that they are deserving of the title and that their "secondary" jobs also involve their Pokémon. Diantha is a movie actress; and that is possibly her primary job. I didn't get the same vibe from her that I get from seeing Cynthia or Steven (note that I also don't get the same vibe from champions like Alder, either).
We actually have fairly conivincing evidence that Diantha and Steven are on par in the form of how their Pokémon were depicted as equal when battling side by side in the Team Flare finale as well as the mutual respect they had for each other when conversing (both considered it an “honor” to be battling with the other). Of course if you think Steven is also a relatively weak Champion then I wouldn’t have any rebuttal. Personally I think Cynthia’s Garchomp is the strongest Champion Ace in Base form though I don’t think she’s significantly better than either Steven’s Metagross and Diamtha’s Gardevoir.

Also, Ash-Greninja, while not in perfect form, did look to have a perfect form (no water veil, if I remember correctly), so his power may have spiked for that particular battle.
Actually Ash-Greninja only momentarily achieves mastered state towards the end of the battle after which he overpower’s Mega Gardevoir’s multi-fused Shadow Ball before both him and Ash pass out. It should be noted that it was Veil Ash-Greninja and not Mastered who cornered Diantha into using Mega Evolution.

And there is also the fact that the battle was no finished since Ash fainted, and we saw that despite being in trouble, a Pokémon is not necessarily out, as Alain's Mega Charizard X showed.
I completely agree with you here; however, never once do I claim that Ash-Greninja can actually beat Mega Gardevoir. You can read the details in the argument I presented above though the short of it is that I think it can be reasonably concluded that both Veil Ash-Greninja is sufficiently close to Base Gardevoir and Mastered Ash-Greninja is significantly stronger than Veil Ash-Greninja hence it’s fair to say that Mastered Ash-Greninja is in the realm of Base Gardevoir as of XYZ 25.

As for the battle against Wulfric, we had already seen Abomasnow get beaten in normal form by Ash's Hawlucha, a Pokémon that not generally seen as one of Ash's stronger Pokémon.
I (and many others) would actually put Lucha on the stronger end of Ash’s Pokémon though that’s besides the point. After Abamasnow owns Talonflame Clemont has a statement about Wulfric “playing for keeps” this time indicating that Wulfric (with Abamasnow in particular) was battling at an (unquantifiably) higher lvl in the 2nd match than in the first making the Hawlucha comparison inadmissible. With regards to the number of hits Ash-Greninja took to win; I’d like to bring attention to Ash’s Sceptile vs Spencer’s Claydol. Their battle was very close eventhough Sceptile only needed a single strike to win. In a converse sense: while Ash-Greninja needed many hits to beat Abamasnow, Abamasnow would’ve been KOed in a fairly short amount of time without landing a single hit (against Ash-Greninja specifically) if it hadn’t Mega Evolved meaning that Ash-Greninja would have beaten Base Abamasnow with negligible difficulty despite needing many hits to do so (a.k.a number of hits needed to win needn’t correspond to the difficulty of the win).

The same thing with Sawyer's Mega Sceptile. Sawyer may have been a strategic genius, and his team performed far above their strength level, but in the end, I got the impression that his Pokémon were just not all that strong and he was the main reason why his team got so far in the Kalos League. Sawyer simply over-performed due to his genius and his penchant to learn from previous battles.
That may very well be the case though I never use Mega Sceptile when estimating Ash-Greninja’s strength. I’d say his (Mega) Sceptile is actually very impressive with stuff like guided Frenzy Plant and Sawyer has to be worth something if a champion (Steven) thinks he’s worth mentoring though again it’s not really relevant to the topic at hand.

But when Ash-Greninja had the chance to get that really solid feat of beating a proven strong Pokémon, possibly one on a Legendary level, he fell flat.
Alain’s MC-X is the strongest non-Champion Mega Ace (and Lysandre’s Mega Red Gyarados) trainer Pokémon in anime history. If you’d like more detail on why, then you’re more than welcome to P.M. me about it.

Alain's Mega Charizard X was not fresh at all when he faced Ash-Greninja, having taken at least one (possibly two) super effective Thunderbolts and a Quick Attack before facing off against Ash-Greninja.
I’ll point out that Alain’s Mega Charizard X beat Malva’s Mega Houndoom after beating 9 other Mega Evolutions. If we take the difficulty in beating the first Mega as the aggregate case, then MC-X would have substantial stamina (different from health; for a more in-depth breakdown on stamina as a factor in Pokémon battles please P.M me on the matter) drain and while we do know that it healed between some battles, we also know that it wasn’t at full health prior to facing Houndoom since there are visible bruises on it, so in all likelihood MC-X was in worse overall condition against MDoom than against A-G.

All Greninja had faced was the remains of a Weavile that had taken a Bide to the face and had one-hit KOed Goodra so Ash-Greninja clearly had the edge in terms of having suffered less damage than Charizard when they battled.
Just for correction it was Bisharp and Goodra took 4 hits before Guillotine though yes Greninja did start in significantly better condition than Charizard.
And in the end, that battle was not all that close. Ash-Greninja was KOed while Alain's Mega Charizard X merely stumbled before catching his footing and recovering.
That would still make Ash-Greninja’s performance better than Mega Houndoom’s since MC-X didn’t stumble (while no force was acting on it) against it though as Malva pointed out it did show signs of heavy exhaustion (a.k.a stamina drain) which can be attributed to facing 10 Mega Pokémon in a row with minimal break in between (certainly shorter than the break Charizard had in its poke ball after facing Peakachu and before coming out against Greninja and please note that I’m using break periods as a stamina gain metric and not a health gain metric).

It’s fine if that’s what you genuinely believe; however, I respectfully disagree, and I don’t think that the argument I’ve presented above for A-G’s estimate has been countered.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
1.Greninja (Ash-Greninja)
2.Charizard
3.Pikachu (Hax)
4.Infernape (Blaze)
5.Sceptile (Overgrow)
6.Sceptile
7.Infernape
8.Snorlax
9.Pikachu
10.Greninja

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Take away the abilities and powerups Charizard is #1

Charizard was Ash's first main powerhouse in OS/Kanto,it went through legitimate training at the Charicific Valley in the Johto Region and got even stronger.Charizard defeated Gary Oak's Scizor,Golem,and Ace Blastoise in a 6 on 6 battle (sweeping half his team).In early AG Charizard defeated (more so outlasted) an Articuno under the command of Frontier Brain Noland.The Fire/Flying type was absent from DP so coming back in late BW would make it twice as strong as it once was in AG and it was evident in it's little sparring match with Iris's Dragonite,it was practically toying around with it up until it used Dragon Tail then got stopped by N.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

I haven't thought about that but you're right. Ash Greninja itself is strong but it isn't the strongest. I still find it pretty embarrassing it lost to a Fire type move. Maybe it's better to point out how many wins he's gotten so far.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I haven't thought about that but you're right. Ash Greninja itself is strong but it isn't the strongest. I still find it pretty embarrassing it lost to a Fire type move. Maybe it's better to point out how many wins he's gotten so far.

Well if you think that a Champion, who are generally portrayed as invincible in the anime, can apparently be weaksauce, like what he said then you are free to think that he's right. :)

Didn't Diantha's Gardevoir destroy the previous year's League Champion's Absol, was besting Pikachu effortlessly, and destroyed E4 member Wikstrom's Mega Scizor with a single Moonblast?

If you only want to judge Ash-Greninja on its wins, then fine. Take into account that it one shotted Heidayu's Bisharp in the first episode it happened, one shotted Celosia's Manectric and Byrony's Liepard in the Terminus Cave episode, one shotted Sawyer's Sceptile in XY&Z13, one shotted an Altaria in the Kalos League first round, defeated Wulfric's Mega Abomasnow, defeated Sawyer's Mega Sceptile. :)

Last edited:

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Well if you think that a Champion, who are generally portrayed as invincible in the anime, can apparently be weaksauce, like what he said then you are free to think that he's right. :)

Didn't Diantha's Gardevoir destroy the previous year's League Champion's Absol, was besting Pikachu effortlessly, and destroyed E4 member Wikstrom's Mega Scizor with a single Moonblast?

If you only want to judge Ash-Greninja on its wins, then fine. Take into account that it one shotted Heidayu's Bisharp in the first episode it happened, one shotted Celosia's Manectric and Byrony's Liepard in the Terminus Cave episode, one shotted Sawyer's Sceptile in XY&Z13, one shotted an Altaria in the Kalos League first round, defeated Wulfric's Mega Abomasnow, defeated Sawyer's Mega Sceptile. :)
Yeah, you can give all these feats by A-G who one shotted Sawyer's Sceptile in XYZ13 or went "toe to toe" with the Champion's Gardevoir, etc...but then a few episodes later, A-G couldn't defeat Wulfric's Avalugg, who's not even Wulfric's ace.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yeah, you can give all these feats by A-G who one shotted Sawyer's Sceptile in XYZ13 or went "toe to toe" with the Champion's Gardevoir, etc...but then a few episodes later, A-G couldn't defeat Wulfric's Avalugg, who's not even Wulfric's ace.

You just proved yourself by saying that Avalugg wasn't Wulfric's ace, that the loss was a fluke. Because A-G defeated Wulfric's 'ace' Mega Abomasnow mid-difficulty in the rematch.

Abomasnow was the Pokemon which was Wulfric's main ace, since Wulfric used Abomasnow in the Team Flare arc finale, when the whole world was in danger(in its Mega form). It's evident that Wulfric doesn't usually use his Mega Stone/Key Stone in Gym battles, unless the opponent is too strong like A-G. Because in the first match with Ash, Wulfric didn't use Mega Evolution, and in the re-match, he only Mega Evolved after seeing A-G's intense power. He said after Mega Evolving, With such an opponent, responding with Mega Evolution is a courtesy!

Genaller

Silver Soul
Ash-Greninja’s strength is contingent on how synchronized Ash and Greninja’s feelings are. In XYZ 27 it’s made abundantly clear that Ash wasn’t in his right state of mind due to overly prioritizing strength/winning over love (which makes sense if you apply continuity since XYZ 25 was the first time in over 900 episodes that Ash could battle competitively with a master lvl trainer) and it got so bad during the match to the point that Ash and Greninja were so out of sync that the form in all likelihood was actually weakening Greninja rather than strengthening it(and there’s also the point of how a trainer’s attitude can affect his Pokémon in general as stated by Ash in XY 75). Regardless (Ash-)Greninja was nowhere near his best and the fault for the loss primarily lies with Ash, therefore using that feat as evidence to cap Ash-Greninja in any way at all is utterly inadmissible.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I don't know why are guys going back and forth on this one. It's been confirmed that A-G is Ash's strongest Pokemon based on Diantha's feat and MCX's feat. It's up there with E4 aces at best and even Base Champions. So, technically Genaller and 345 are right. If there was no Diantha feat, I would say; "Ok, maybe A-G is not the strongest, he's not up there with E4 aces", since there is we must go with that.We can't make up some imaginary statements for Alain's MCX and A-G.

Navin

MALDREAD
I don't know why are guys going back and forth on this one. It's been confirmed that A-G is Ash's strongest Pokemon based on Diantha's feat and MCX's feat. It's up there with E4 aces at best and even Base Champions. So, technically Genaller and 345 are right. If there was no Diantha feat, I would say; "Ok, maybe A-G is not the strongest, he's not up there with E4 aces", since there is we must go with that.We can't make up some imaginary statements for Alain's MCX and A-G.

What are you talking about? Where was it "confirmed"? And how does Greninja landing a couple hits before being unable to battle against Diantha, who's clearly not going all-out, "confirm" anything? What MCX feat? The fact he couldn't pull off a win against the same Pokemon despite having 3 opportunities, including having help in the KL and still the battle wasn't super close either? Yeah, you're right - we shouldn't make up some imaginary statements from fanboy logic about A-G being "confirmed Ash's strongest", especially when you have Pikachu, Charizard, and Sceptile actually pulling off draws/wins against legendaries, or Pikachu with 10,000,000 VT 1-shotting Nihilego.

Let's not forget Wulfric nerfed himself by abandoning that OP Ice Body strategy in the rematch, and Lucha was able to KO Abomasnow faster than Greninja.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Honestly, I don't consider 10,000,000 VT as a feat at all. Sure, it stunned Nihilego to the point where it released Lusamine, but it didn't even take it out, since Nihilego just flew away. Furthermore, the whole setup for the move was DEM, since the Z Crystal magically transformed for the moment, and changed back after the attack. Pikachu has way better feats, such as the performance against Alain in the final, Latios, and Regice.

Navin

MALDREAD
Honestly, I don't consider 10,000,000 VT as a feat at all. Sure, it stunned Nihilego to the point where it released Lusamine, but it didn't even take it out, since Nihilego just flew away. Furthermore, the whole setup for the move was DEM, since the Z Crystal magically transformed for the moment, and changed back after the attack. Pikachu has way better feats, such as the performance against Alain in the final, Latios, and Regice.

I agree. Pikachu drawing against Toby's Latios is the best feat of any of Ash's Pokemon, period. But my point is 'Peakachu' + Z-Move especially 10,000,000 VT would definitively make him the most powerful Pokemon Ash has in his arsenal, and it would make the most sense and be the most fitting.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
What are you talking about? Where was it "confirmed"? And how does Greninja landing a couple hits before being unable to battle against Diantha, who's clearly not going all-out, "confirm" anything? What MCX feat? The fact he couldn't pull off a win against the same Pokemon despite having 3 opportunities, including having help in the KL and still the battle wasn't super close either? Yeah, you're right - we shouldn't make up some imaginary statements from fanboy logic about A-G being "confirmed Ash's strongest", especially when you have Pikachu, Charizard, and Sceptile actually pulling off draws/wins against legendaries, or Pikachu with 10,000,000 VT 1-shotting Nihilego.

I already stated where it was confirmed. Gardevoir was going at least 80% when it turned into MG. And it was shown that Champion's Pokemon who are going at least 30-40% of their power would beat Pikachu, Sceptile, Charizard. MCX feat of going toe to toe with MCX, until the last moment. Beating weak legendaries( compared to E4 and Champions) is nothing. If we by that Brandon's Regi's would be on same power level as E4 Megas, which is not true.
A-G would be 80% of MCX and 100% MCX would be around Champion level, so A-G should be between E4 Mega and Champion level Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.