• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official (Bumpable) Sugimori and Co. Artwork Thread

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Sugimori didn't draw it, for sure. I've been meaning to get them all uploaded to PidgiWiki, as I believe I have all up through most of B/W stored on my hard drive.

By the way, the style of art used for Dream World is evidently known internally as "corporate art".

Corporate art? Hmm interesting thanks for that. Yeah I love using the dreamworld artwork as my avatar. :)

xrick

You're asking the impossible...
Despite the age difference between arts, the style is quite similar, they'll never take their time to even think of "revising" the color scheme of those arts...

blob

You're asking the impossible...
Despite the age difference between arts, the style is quite similar, they'll never take their time to even think of "revising" the color scheme of those arts...

The texture effects look odd though. Plus some have very strange poses.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/e/ea/253Grovyle.png
This makes it look like Grovyle's supposed to be part Flying, plus the lines in its leaves don't look right.

xrick

Dude, believe me... By this time, if they haven't touched them, no longer will they do so, you're barking to the wrong tree.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Why didn't Ken update the Gen 3 Pokémon art? I know it's in the same style as the rest of the Pokémon, but the artwork is starting to look faded and the colouring is a bit old fashioned.

I've wondered this myself. He updated the Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon artwork when LG/FR and HG/SS were released, so I expected new Sugimori art for the Gen 3 Pokemon when OR/AS came out too, but alas. We'll have to make do with faded art from a decade ago I guess.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
5d354db03d79dba85b3068fa3eb9595d.png

I always found Ken Sugimori's original take on Charmander to be interesting, perhaps far more than the Charmander we have now. He started out with a reddish skin color far more closer to Charmeleon and had a row of spikes on his back. This detail is especially more noticeable in the Pokemon Adventures manga where Blue Oak's Charmander at it's earliest debut exhibits this detail, the spikes on the back, which makes you really wonder what kind of Gen 1 notes did the writer and artist got his hands on.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was wondering, did the Gen II Gym Leaders ever get full-body Ken Sugimori artwork in the G/S/C era? I know that there are images of their heads in Ken Sugimori style in the game guidebooks, and I know that Itsuki (Will) got artwork in the VS TCG set, but I don't remember if the Jouto Gym Leaders were so lucky.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I was wondering, did the Gen II Gym Leaders ever get full-body Ken Sugimori artwork in the G/S/C era? I know that there are images of their heads in Ken Sugimori style in the game guidebooks, and I know that Itsuki (Will) got artwork in the VS TCG set, but I don't remember if the Jouto Gym Leaders were so lucky.
I believe almost every character of Gen 2, including updates to the Kanto Gym Leaders, had brand new full body artwork by Ken Sugimori at the time either through artwork of the games or through the Vs Gym Leader TCG. Here's a list of the Gen 2 Gym Leader artwork Ken Sugimori did, enhanced by someone named HiResPokemon.

WMnJGEQ.jpg

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
I believe almost every character of Gen 2, including updates to the Kanto Gym Leaders, had brand new full body artwork by Ken Sugimori at the time either through artwork of the games or through the Vs Gym Leader TCG. Here's a list of the Gen 2 Gym Leader artwork Ken Sugimori did, enhanced by someone named HiResPokemon.

WMnJGEQ.jpg

Thank you. I hadn't seen this before, so it's nice to see the full-body art for all of those Gen II characters, including Karin (Karen) and Anzu (Janine).

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Question - does Sugimori still draw the official art of each Pokemon and/or the human characters in the new generations?