• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Fake Games thread v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

help

Wi-fi name is Spice
I just got a copy of pokemon sienna version for the gba. not sure if anyone else has this or not. its pretty cool.

Dragon74

hello people nice to meet you :) can anyone help me to explain what is the "betas" for pokemon naranja? i wanna buy a catridge of naranja from e-bay.are all the catridges of pokemon naranja that are out there beta 1?and what does this mean?you stuck somewhere cause the game is un-complete?where exactly?
and which is the best beta for pokemon naranja-most complete?
any reply really apreciated!
thanks!

As long as a game is declared in a Beta stage, it means it is incomplete. The number after a beta represents its progress. Example, in beta1 you can only get to the first gym, but in beta2 you can get to the next 3 gyms. There are a few reasons why you do NOT want to purchase these games.

1. What these sellers are offering is illegal, the games are unlicensed by Nintendo and they are infringing on copyright material.
2. The cartridges (not the actual game software mind you) are made for the sole purpose of scamming people, meaning little care is put into the product and you will probably get an early beta which will be unplayable.
3. Even if you got a cartridges with the latest beta on it, chances are the cartridge won't hold a save... or even work.
4. The cartridges aren't molded very well and can damage the pins in the cartridge slot on the system.

I hate the to give you the answer you probably didn't want to hear, but buying one of those cartridges is just a waste of money and will likely leave you with a serious case of "buyer's remorse".

Xobuttsubso

<- Best DP Legendary
These are the most famous fake pokemon games, even though they're not really fake. When Pokemon was released, it had a rival, Telefang, which failed. So another Telefang game was sold, but this time, pirates put a Pokemon sticker on it, to make it look like it was from a pokemon game. It was really stupid, because the monsters called you, and the e-monsters said weird stuff like 'Have you had Curry?' Ebay apparently banned the game, but people still sell it there.

This is a pretty awfultastic description here. Telefang was a real game, and Diamond/Jade are not "another Telefang game" that was released later after the original version "failed"--they're pirated versions of the original Telefang (which was a legitimately released game, not a pirate game), badly translated into English and with the name "Pokémon" slapped onto them (by pirates trying to cash in on the name. Just like, for example, the other "hacked to include Pokémon" games listed... except they didn't actually put any Pokémon into the game, they just used the title.)
The way it's written now almost makes it sound like Telefang itself was a pirate game and that the same people released it again with a Pokémon sticker to make it sell better or something.

Also kind of absurd to be randomly bashing aspects of the game (like the monsters calling you and curry being mentioned. The curry is actually not completely random--it's mentioned in the game that someone is planning to set up a restaurant in the monsters' world and sell curry, and the monsters have never had curry before so they ask you about it sometimes.) It's one thing to mock the terrible grammar, spelling, etc. in the translation, because the translation was legitimately awful (I seem to remember reading that it went from Japanese to Chinese first, and then from Chinese to bad English?), but saying the game is stupid just because the monsters call you on telephones? That just sounds a whole lot like "dumb teenage Pokémon fan circa 1999" who thinks any monster-fighting game that doesn't work exactly like Pokémon is dumb (...and any one that does work exactly like Pokémon is a ripoff. And sometimes even ones that don't work exactly like Pokémon get labeled as ripoffs, too!)

Finally, it can hardly be said that the original Telefang "failed." It may not have been amazingly successful or anything, but they actually came out with a GBA sequel to the game several years afterward, and if I remember right it even had its own (short-lived) manga series at one point. Games that sell really badly the first time generally don't even get a sequel. Just because something didn't become superzomgridiculously popular like Pokémon did doesn't make it a failure...

Hey MaskedManAbsolkid, I'll probably start searching for a website that has other Poke-Hacks. Because I know that there was a few bunches of them that weren't on your list. I remember playing some, but haven't in quite a while. Some were actually pretty decent, some were just plain Glitchy. :/ I'll give you more info once I find it.

SSJ Purg

I am currently playing through the hack of Pokemon Light Platinum. Usually i wouldn't go near these things however it is actually quite good, despite a few minor problems. It is a nice challenge for the most part.

Sprinter1988

So I've been playing a lot of the hack Pokemon Sacred Gold lately, and let me tell you, the guy who made this certainly knew what he was doing!
Heart Gold is one of my favourite pokemon games anyway but some of the changes made to it in this hack are inspired!
In addition to every pokemon from the first four generations being available at some point in the games, there are many other great adjustments.

Every Gym Leader uses six pokemon when you challenge them. If you had trouble against Whitney when she just had Clefairy and Miltank then you need to be extra careful in this game as her team of Miltank, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Lickitung, Lopunny and Stantler are designed to give you a hard time, especially when that Wigglytuff catches out your fighting type with its Psychic attack!

The other player character now challenges you to battle.

Your rival's team is different - he gets Kadabra by the time you battle him outside Ilex Forest. Crobat is switched for Honchkrow and depending on which starter you chose he'll have either Magmortar, Electivire or Kingdra in place of Magneton and Sneasel.

Then there are typing alterations on some pokemon. Electric/Dark Luxray needs to be a real thing!

And there are moveset changes. I got a Glaceon and it learned Earth Power through level up! I then gave it Ice Beam, Water Pulse and Shadow Ball and she wrecked just about everything I put her up against. If Earth Power Glaceon were to be come a real thing in the actual games then it could well replace Espeon as my favourite Eeveelution. Then my Feraligatr got Dragon Dance through level-up, which makes him a beast!

If you liked HG/SS, I really recommend playing Sacred Gold or Storm Silver. They are worth it!

Arii

Fossil Maniac
Anyone play(ed) Reborn here? Thoughts?

From what I've read it's universally acclaimed for its story, difficulty and design - and I pretty much agree with the latter two. However, like most fan-made games the writing has just killed it dead for me. I will never understand the 'Pokemon would be so much cooler if it was dark and edgy' mentality. Playing through a game where the NPC's throw out swear words as commonly as you or I would use a comma just makes for an awkward tonal shift, and the game can't seem to come up with any characters that aren't annoyingly quirky, smartass or Saturday-morning cartoon villain levels of evil (or those who flip arbitrarily between the three).

Zeta and Omicron are still by far the best fan-made games I've played.

Ultrar2g

Its odd seeing this thread as I know of a flea marked that actually sells some of the romhacks (quartz, naranja, pearla, etc..) in bootleg cartridge form

they actually were cheap too, wonder if i should buy one just cause.......just cause really

Ultrar2g

beta is a stage in a video game that, while potentially close to completion, is not finished and can differ from the final product

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I have a fake Pokemon Gold game. Most obvious part is that it's GBA, not GBC. It's actually some kind of weird platformer that stars Pikachu. Some of Pikachu's animations remind me of Sonic. It also appears that some kind of debug feature was left in and I can just fly through the stages or completely skip levels by pressing a certain button. It's not a good game at all.

Thepowaofhax

I've been looking at the plethora of Generation 1 bootlegs on eBay, most of which are sold from Southeast Asia or China. Could anyone get some information on a few of them? They seem like rather new bootlegs or repros.

The first one is Pokemon Orange, which seems to be a Gen 1 game. I'd like to get information on it, because I've found next to none on for it. The most I've gotten on it is that it seems to be based off of a tropical region, but this is due to a very limited video I found on Youtube. Link to that video is here. Sorry for the poor quality.

Then, there is Pokemon: Pink Edition, which seems like another bootleg/repro. I haven't found any info on this one in particular, so yeah.

Also, are the gen 1 bootlegs on eBay decent? I may get one of these given the save doesn't corrupt like the Gen 3 bootlegs.

Last edited:

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I've been looking at the plethora of Generation 1 bootlegs on eBay, most of which are sold from Southeast Asia or China. Could anyone get some information on a few of them? They seem like rather new bootlegs or repros.

The first one is Pokemon Orange, which seems to be a Gen 1 game. I'd like to get information on it, because I've found next to none on for it. The most I've gotten on it is that it seems to be based off of a tropical region, but this is due to a very limited video I found on Youtube. Link to that video is here. Sorry for the poor quality.

Then, there is Pokemon: Pink Edition, which seems like another bootleg/repro. I haven't found any info on this one in particular, so yeah.

Also, are the gen 1 bootlegs on eBay decent? I may get one of these given the save doesn't corrupt like the Gen 3 bootlegs.
The listing says Pokemon Orange is a Game Boy Advanced game; I suspect it's an English version of Pokemon Naranja: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ROM_hacks#Pok.C3.A9mon_Naranja.2FOrange

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Locking this thread as talk about fake/fan games isn't permitted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.