• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

masukippa

Group A- Friday 11th June
South Africa 2-1 Mexico
Uruguay 1-1 France

Can't believe the WC starts on my birthday. It's gonna be fun.

Group B- Saturday 12th June
South Korea 1-0 Greece
Argentina 3-1 Nigeria

South Korea have the spirit. And Greece are so boring, so yeah there's probably a little bit of bias there...

As for Argentina Nigeria I just can't see it going any other way.

Group C- Saturday 12th June
England 2-2 USA

USA will be massively up for this one. They want another "Miracle on Grass." I think they'll get something.

Final group standings

Group A
France
South Africa
Uruguay
Mexico

This is such a hard group to call. Uruguay and Mexico are both better, but SA are the hosts. I'm going to back them. Any team could finish any position in this one. France may not even get through. They're not the France of ten years ago.

Group B
Argentina
Nigeria
South Korea
Greece

Group C
England
USA
Slovenia
Algeria

Slovenia were in NI's group. I rate them, but not above the USA.

Group D
Germany
Serbia
Ghana
Australia

This is the hardest group to predict. Serbia, Ghana, Australia. I'll leave it like that.

Group E
Netherlands
Denmark
Cameroon
Japan

Holland will reach the semis. And maul along the way. Denmark will scrape through ahead of Cameroon.

Group F
Italy
Slovakia
Paraguay
New Zealand

Again, Slovakia were also in Norn Iron's group. They're good, and will surprise a lot of people. Italy won't cruise this, but they'll finish top.

Group G
Brazil
Ivory Coast
Portugal
North Korea

This is the year for an African team to get far. Or not. I think Ivory Coast would be lucky to even finish ahead of Portugal. And then they'd play possibly Spain? Very unlucky draw for them. I could also see Portugal getting through and giving Spain a real game.

Group H
Spain
Chile
Switzerland
Honduras

As much as I'd love to see Honduras and Palacios succeed, I think getting a point would be an achievement.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
For anyone living in my country of abode (England), what is your opinion of the English media?

Obviously I can't imagine anyone would rate it too highly. Personally I reckon without the media we would've won three world cups by now. (I exaggerate, but the point is that the media seem to go out of their way to cause us to lose the tournament.)

And to all the people living in other World Cup participating countries (or maybe ones that aren't). What is the hype like for the World Cup? What is the coverage like? What is the emotion of your country's populace? It surely cannot be as bad as England's is.

You wont believe it. I live in one of the smallest nations in the world and one of the 50 most poorest countries:-Bangladesh. Other than natural disasters and maybe cricket, you probably havent heard about it. But during the World Cup, the nation goes mad! It divides itself: One half Brazil, the other Argentina, with only few exceptions(only some of the 'rich'). This is mainly because back in the 80s, football was a huge sport in Bangladesh. At that time, people were awed by Pele and Brazil. Then 1986, after Maradona single handedly(no pun intended) won the FIFA World Cup for Argentina, some diverted to Argentina fans. After that cricket gained more and more popularity. But the passion magically comes back every World Cup and the nation goes mad. Fights between Brazil and Argentina fans are extremely common in villages. Heck, i think one's happening right now. The pure passion for the sport makes me think if this is the case for other countries aswell......

My dad supported Germany since 1974, when they won it for the first time. I supported them in the 2002 final when i was only 6. The whole nation was on Brazil's side. We eventually lost but i stood by their side and when Italy defeated them in the last second of extra time in 2006, i was heart broken. But now the time has come again and i just cant wait!

7 tyranitars

my predictions for friday till monday are :

11/06
south africa - mexico 0-1 mexico will win but not easily

urugauy - france 0-2

12/06

argentina - nigeria 3-1

south korea - greece 2-1

england - USA 2-1

13/06

algeria - slovenia 1-0

germany - australia 2-0

serbia - ghana 1-1

14/06

the Netherlands <3- denmark 3-0

japan - cameroon 0-1

italy - paruguay 2-0

group endings

group A

france
mexico
south africa
uruguay

group B

argentina
nigeria
south korea
greece

group C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D
germany
Servia
australia
Ghana

group E

the Netherlands
denmark
cameroon
japan

group F
italy
paruguay
new zealand
slovakia

group G
brasil
portugal
côte d'ivoire
north korea

group H
Spain
chile
switzerland
honduras

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Group Stage Predictions:

France
South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay

Argentina
Nigeria
Greece
South Korea

England
USA
Slovenia
Algeria

Germany
Serbia
Australia
Ghana

Netherlands
Denmark
Cameroon
Japan

Italy
Paraguay
Slovakia
New Zealand

Brazil
Portugal
Ivory Coast
Korea DPR

Spain
Chile
Switzerland
Honduras

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Best chance to win since 66? I think not

For anyone living in my country of abode (England), what is your opinion of the English media?

Obviously I can't imagine anyone would rate it too highly. Personally I reckon without the media we would've won three world cups by now. (I exaggerate, but the point is that the media seem to go out of their way to cause us to lose the tournament.)

And to all the people living in other World Cup participating countries (or maybe ones that aren't). What is the hype like for the World Cup? What is the coverage like? What is the emotion of your country's populace? It surely cannot be as bad as England's is.
The sad thing is you're probably half right. Okay maybe the players would have to be a bit better too but without the presence of the media it would have certainly been possible to gotten a little bit further in the competitions and that. Even this year the John Terry "scandal" and the focus on the personal lives of the players just means that they are only really just looking for a story, fair enough but it's purposely damaged World Cup hopes and even World Cup hosting hopes.

If England don't win the World Cup then the media will have had some part to play in that........and also the injuries........and the fact that the players are a bit.....crap. But yeah...

So it starts on masukippa's birthday and it finishes on my birthday.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
The sad thing is you're probably half right. Okay maybe the players would have to be a bit better too but without the presence of the media it would have certainly been possible to gotten a little bit further in the competitions and that. Even this year the John Terry "scandal" and the focus on the personal lives of the players just means that they are only really just looking for a story, fair enough but it's purposely damaged World Cup hopes and even World Cup hosting hopes.

If England don't win the World Cup then the media will have had some part to play in that........and also the injuries........and the fact that the players are a bit.....crap. But yeah...

It's not because of the media. If England won't win the World Cup it is because they don't have the tradition and the experience that other national teams like Italy, Brazil and Germany have.

The media just trying to make England look like the favorites but because they have not been the world champions since 1966 they have the willpower like Spain had in the last Euro, I have a feeling England will get farther this time but I'm not sure about who will win.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
The media can make quite an impact

It's not because of the media. If England won't win the World Cup it is because they don't have the tradition and the experience that other national teams like Italy, Brazil and Germany have.

No experience? That's ridiculous, only 7 of the of the current England squad has less than 20 caps (just a cut off point I picked out of thin air) and apart from one or two players here and there it's almost the same squad that went to the last World Cup so I don't see how they don't have enough experience.

I fail to see what tradition has to do with winning you a world cup.
The media just trying to make England look like the favorites but because they have not been the world champions since 1966
Well there you go then, because of all the hype the media gives them in this World Cup and previous World Cups i.e The Golden Generation. They add so much pressure onto the team that the only thing that can happen is the team will fail and when they fail they are heavily criticised for not being good enough or whatever which doesn't really do anything for their confidence. The media is some ways if not completely responsible for portraying a very average team into something they cannot live up to.

This year John Terry lost his captaincy and since that happened he hasn't really been on top of his game and it forced Capello to change captaincy, lost England a potential left back in Wayne Bridge and so Warnock is taken instead. It's debatable who is better but it has hit England one of the weaknesses that they have and that's their lack of depth.

Night_Walker

Without Cahill Ausralia's squad doesn't look so good, not like one who can make it to the next round in the world cup.

I know he's only one player, but he has tons of experience.
I agree. He is only one player but he is one of the best players in the team, a very good (but not great) player in a team of fairly average ones, and his ability to pop up in the box has proved crucial to Australia for a long time.
Especially considering Cahill like players can be replaced in most teams but not Australia.

I hope for you that he will recover.
Doesn't really bother me, I'm supporting Italy and the Netherlands.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
After 4 years of waiting

And so it begins...

7 tyranitars

yeah I'm atleast glad I don't have school when the Netherlands play against denmark :p
and gonna watch the first match soon.

PokemonHero

I can see the future
I haven't been here at all yet, but I'm watching the World Cup. I'll probably post more stuff later after today's matches.

Predictions:

South Africa 1 - Mexico 1
France 3 - Uruguay 1

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Predicting: South Africa - 1 ; Mexico - 0

Mexico's been really aggressive so far, but South Africa has shown that it can put the pressure on when necessary. Still, South Africa needs to step it up a little. Khune's done a great job as goalkeeper, but this second half is going to be where it's gonna have to count.

Last edited:

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Just finished watching Mexico vs South Africa. Now that my heart rate is down a bit. They tied 1-1, but from what I saw Mexico's defense is brutally poor it was basically only the goaly and 1 other guy, however they do play aggressive as they had more ball possession and spent way more time on South Africa's goal area than in Mexico's goal area. South Africa did well, but they didn't seem very fast to me, they lost the ball a lot.

Well That's my quick review.

Uruguay vs France 0-0 draw
Wow 0 - 0 way lower than I predicted, but it's better in fact, it helps the bigger picture which is my Mexico winning the group so all in all not bad start for us ;) he he.

Last edited:
So, Mexico scored a goal, but was disallowed 'cause they're Mexican, so South AFrica scored with the most awesome last name EVAR. So Mexico equalised. Hopefully Uruguay win.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Great game, it really was. Amazing goal by Tshabalala(love saying that name:D). Things have to improve at the back for both sides though. Also, my prediction was correct!(1-1 draw)

I'm liking what i'm seeing so far! France vs. Uruguay up next!

PokemonHero

I can see the future
Well, now that the first games are over, I'll give a better analysis.

South Africa vs. Mexico

I predicted this match right. However, I thought that South Africa was going to get an early goal and Mexico would tie it late. Instead, it took until the second half for either team to score. I will have to say I'm impressed by Itumeleng Khune, the South African goalie. It's a shame that one goal got by him, but the rest of the team did a great job holding up.

Mexico attacked hard early, but they couldn't bury South Africa in the first half like they needed to. If they had scored early and taken that crowd out of the equation, this game wouldn't have been close. They need to rebound against France next game and use the same aggressive attack as they did in this game.

France vs. Uruguay

I have to say that France was really disappointing in this match. They should've been able to beat Uruguay and get some points. However, they seemed to be fully there. Now I'm really wondering if they will be able to move on. This makes me wonder how Ireland would've done had they gotten in. They need some good wins against South Africa and Mexico, but the Mexicans are going to be tough, as well as the South Africans.

Uruguay looked pretty good. They had a few shots, but just like France, they weren't able to take advantage of them. All things considered, Uruguay probably couldn't have asked for a better result for their first match.

I'll have predictions for tomorrow's matches later.

lethal Xsanity

Now I am a big Mexico Fan, But I did see very weak defense and Poor passing around the striking area.
It wasn't until Blanco came in 20 Minutes left in the game,where Mexico actually had good control and far more Scoring chances.
I felt the Goal they did score was a Fluke.
Not really Impressed with my team,they did very well in the begining,but not well enough to get passed the road of 16.
If Mexico wants to impress and win a game,they need to start someone like Blanco,or even Bautista, they take pride in there Pin Point Passing and Crossing,they actually give the goalscorers a chance to score.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
So lifeless

France was absolute crap in that match, no denying that they have talented players but Ribery and Anelka lost possession so many times trying to take on too much and dribble their way rather than taking the easier option.

The lineup was a bit weird and the 4-5-1 formation clearly didn't work so why the manager persisted with the tactics for so long was a mystery (though we are talking about a man who uses astrology to choose his players...soo....yeah) and should have changed it about or made a substitution to switch the play up a bit. I hope France get their act together and do better than that next match but it doesn't help when there's so much conflict in the camp.