• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Fenix

Tremulant
Ghana-Uruguay was bullshit. I only watched the last 20 minutes but from what I've seen, Ghana was the better team and Uruguay just plain disgusts me after seeing what they did to avoid losing.
um... what?

If you are referring to Suarez's save I don't see anything disgusting in it. It is quite normal for a player to try to prevent a goal by any means, and any other player from any other team would have done the same in the same circumstances.

Plus, he gave a penalty kick to the other team and earned a red card himself, which is quite an extreme punishment. The only one who's to blame is Gyan for wasting the penalty kick.

Now, if the referee did not see the handball *cough*Henry*cough*, now THAT would be disgusting, but right now I call it fair trade.

The ref was shocking; Brazilians definitely played rougher yet they only got 1 yellow card, while the Dutch got 4 (2 of which have ruled players out for our next match... thank you very much) and there was an offside against us that was definitely onside. And I still think the Brazilians were lucky to get away with having 10 men on the field at the end of play:
Bastos chopped the legs out from under Robben, from behind, about 5 times and only got a single yellow for it.
Robinho should have at least been cautioned after he brought Robben down then went back to berate him after the ref gave the freekick to the Dutch. And I think later he mouthed off at the ref for another freekick.
Indeed, even Dunga realized Bastos was nervous and would end up with his 2nd yellow card soon so he replaced him with Gilberto (who, ironically, didn't even touch the ball). Overall I think the referee was too lenient with the players, especially the Brazilians. Because of that they felt that they had the right to question his every single whistle. Robinho especially went way overboard.

I don't like this boring Dutch team.
If you find the Netherlands boring, what would you think of Switzerland, Greece, New Zaeland, Slovakia and all the other 6-4-0 teams?

I actually think the Dutch play the most visually appealing football after Argentina and Spain. Even Portugal and Brazil were overdefensive this world cup.

Last edited:
If you find the Netherlands boring, what would you think of Switzerland, Greece, New Zaeland, Slovakia and all the other 6-4-0 teams?

I actually think the Dutch play the most visually appealing football after Argentina and Spain. Even Portugal and Brazil were overdefensive this world cup.

The second half of Netherlands - Brasil was nice, but have you watched the other matches of the Netherlands? Germany, Spain, Uruguay and Argentinia play the nicest football so far. I agree, there are worse teams.

My Uruguay lineup for the semifinals.

4-4-2

--------Abreu------------Cavani-------
-----------------Forlán----------------
------Lodeiro------------Arevalo-------
-----------------Pérez-----------------
--Scotti--Victorino--Lugano--M Pereira--
----------------Muslera----------------

My Uruguay lineup if they reach the final, counting Suárez' suspension for one game (I hope he gets only one game, with some bad luck he gets two).

4-4-1-1

---------------Cavani------------------
---------------Forlán------------------
--Lodeiro----------------------Suárez--
----------Pérez----Arevalo-------------
--Fucile--Victorino--Lugano--M Pereira--
---------------Muslera-----------------

Suárez plays for his club Ajax onn his fave position, right winger, so why not in the formation above? Lodeiro is a great player who deserves a place in the starting lineup. A pity El Loco Sebastian Abreu can't play this way, but good, he is a pinchhitter.

This is also an option, but I'd go with the one above.

4-4-2

--------Abreu-----------Cavani--------
----------------Forlán-----------------
------Lodeiro------------Suárez--------
------------Pérez/Arevalo--------------
--Fucile--Victorino--Lugano--M Pereira--
---------------Muslera-----------------

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Too bad, Ghana were deserve it. But they did their best, maybe next time. Uruguay will probably lose to Netherlands in the semi finals. Let's see today if Messi is really the best player in the world.

Germany 1-2 Argentina
Paraguay 0-2 Spain

Night_Walker

Indeed, even Dunga realized Bastos was nervous and would end up with his 2nd yellow card soon so he replaced him with Gilberto (who, ironically, didn't even touch the ball). Overall I think the referee was too lenient with the players, especially the Brazilians. Because of that they felt that they had the right to question his every single whistle. Robinho especially went way overboard.
Bastos should really have been sent off long before his coach substituted him, I think just about every one of his from behind tackles on Robben would have earnt a yellow in matches played in national leagues like the EPL (might have just got a warning for say the first one, maybe the second as well with a lenient ref but the others would have each earnt a yellow).
Not sure they were nervous tackles, to me it looked like Brazil had identified Robben as one of the key players of the Netherlands. He was certainly marked closely and got fouled, badly, quite a lot.

I thought the ref was harsh on the Dutch and lenient on the Brazilians. Okay the Dutch didn't play a spotlessly clean match... but Brazilian players who left without a card committed virtually identical offences to Dutch players who were carded.

In terms of how the Brazilians treated the ref and the linesmen I dunno if that was cause they were treated leniently from the get go or what. It definitely started early and it got steadily worse as the match wore on, in particular after each Dutch goal.
Robinho was certainly the worst of them, and should have got a card for his outburst at Robben after he'd fouled him.

Brazil really didn't know how to deal with the situation they were in, since once Brazil goes ahead they usually bury their opponents, partially because they get that boost to their confidence and partially because it gets into the heads of their opponents.

But the Netherlands, as is the nature of their people, didn't panic and refused to become ruffled by just about anything the Brazilians did - they just kept playing.

AquaMilotic,
I must disagree with you. This Dutch team have played very well through this tournament. Okay maybe they haven't been spectacular but their play has always been competent, they look extraordinarily relaxed on the ball and behind it (almost to the point that it's like they've actually got something extra in the tank we haven't seen yet) and their play has got them the result they need in every match they've played.

Personally I thought they looked better then Brazil for all but the first and last 5 minutes of the opening half and all but 5-10 minutes in the second. Brazil looked like a group of individuals, the Dutch were playing as a team.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

night walker, about the cards, bastos should really have gotten a card and kaka atleast yellow for making a 'hitting' like move against ooijer, and when the rev finaly gave a red card to mele it felt like justice for us and robben who have been targeted by a lot of brasilian players :S

tbh I still can barely believe it that we came back into the game and actualy won it

Night_Walker

night walker, about the cards, bastos should really have gotten a card and kaka atleast yellow for making a 'hitting' like move against ooijer, and when the rev finaly gave a red card to mele it felt like justice for us and robben who have been targeted by a lot of brasilian players :S

tbh I still can barely believe it that we came back into the game and actualy won it
Well Bastos got one yellow for one of his tackles, but he should have got a second for one of the others.

I think Kaka did try to kick Ooijer so yeh he should have got one for it.

Mele's was the most blatant, and one of the worst, fouls I've ever seen and the ref had no choice but to red-card him. It certainly felt like it was long overdue for one of them to get a card.

Oh yeah, Robben got it from just about all sides.

Heh, it did look bleak for a while but we played better and deserved to win it.

7 tyranitars

oh almost forgot predictions for today xd

germany - argentina 3-1

spain- paruguay 2-0

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
What. The. Drama. Africa's last kick of the match goal(Ghana is literally representing whole of Africa) is blocked by the hand of Suarez, and Gyan misses the penalty, causing them to lose the shootout. Never seen anything like it before. Imagine the emotions going through. Ghana could've been the first African nation to make it to the semis in World Cup history. ON HOME SOIL! They would've overwritten the achievements of Roger Milla's Cameroon. All the criticism about the African nations underperforming would've disappeared and this World Cup would've been forever remembered as Africa's, despite the winner. Did anyone see Suarez's reaction after seeing the ball hit the bar? It was like he did the best thing ever. He sacrificed himself for the team and it paid off. Ref couldn't have done much more. Ghana in the end have got themselves to blame. Suarez is probably a national hero, and at the same time the most hated player in Africa. I would've be surprised to hear him receiving death threats. Wow.

Enough of that, focus turns on this match. Germany vs. Argentina, clash of the titans. Me and my dad's team vs. My mother and sister's team! Epic.

Germany 3-2 Argentina
Paraguay 0-2 Spain

Points for 29th June:

The Boss Giygas: 5
shinyponita: 0
Double oh Platypus: 10
otaku dono: 0
Ash kid: 5
Night Walker: 0
7 tyranitars: 5
Overheat: 0
J Myc: 0

Points for yesterday:

This is the quarter-final stage! 10 points for correct result, 20 for exact scoreline!

The Boss Giygas: 0
Double Oh Platypus: 0
shinyponita: 0
otaku dono: 60(congrats for predicting the uruguay match exact, right down to penalties!)
7 tyranitars: 20(congrats for going with your gut and supporting holland like a true fan!:))
Overheat: 20
Timothy mimefan Sillery: 10
Ash kid: 0
Night Walker: 20
J Myc: 0

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Predictions

If there is going to be technology it should and can only be realistically used for goal line technology and even so, it needs to be in a manner which you can tell within 2-3 seconds or yes, it will slow the game down somewhat if they have to review it for longer than that as a lot can happen in 10 seconds especially in a fast paced game like football. I can understand FIFA's reluctance to use technology such as video replays and that as where does it end? It can lead to opening a can of worms.

Argentina 2-1 Germany
Paraguay 0-3 Spain

Night_Walker

Argentina 0 - 4 Germany.

Well that was a clinical demolition job by this increasingly impressive young German team.
Once again they soaked up pressure, cause while Argentina weren't amazing they were definitely making plenty of attacks, then just cut their opponents to shreds on the counter. And once again two goals came in quick succession to utterly kill the game off.

I think Argentina came in woefully underdone, they hadn't really played a team in the same league as the Germans and they just couldn't find that extra gear they needed.

At the start of this cup many people were wondering if they were too young, I think the answer is a resounding "no" and with these two knock-out stage wins they definitely deserve respect.

J-Myc,
As I've always argued the most important thing in terms of using technology in sport, as I have have the same frustration with the ICC as I do FIFA, is that it makes sure the decisions are the correct ones.
FIFA's stubborn refusal to use it seems to me more like a refusal to move with the times rather then worrying about opening a can of worms.

The obvious roles that I think are clear for video technology, where it can be applied simply and quickly, right now are: to check if the ball crosses the line and for a video linesman. I think there are other places where it should be used - handball calls in the box - but they can be assessed on a case by case basis. Let's just get those two fairly key things done and go from there.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

wow germany won 4-0 amazing...

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
There couldnt be a happier and prouder Germany supporter than me at the moment!:D I've stayed loyal to them since 2002, despite them losing the final, and i am so proud i havent given up on them. Many had written them off as a side with no star players. This and the display against England will shut them up once and for all. 4-0. Demolition. I'm kind of surprised, and happy, that many of you guys predicted a Germany win, cos over here, noone expected a Germany win and we were seriously underestimated.

Funny fact: Maradona thought Mueller was the ballboy an year back. Now, Maradona looked a ballboy to me in the match. Literally. He did exactly the job a ballboy does. And Mueller was the player who started the demolition.

Watch out Spain/Paraguay! First England, then Argentina, you guys are next!

saar

Shiny Flygon
I think I have a title - Germany time.
And hey J-Myc I told you Germany will go very far.
Spain VS Paraguay 2 -2

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Lionel Messi "World's best player", my as*. That was a humiliating loss for Argentina. It's a shame to say that even England played better than Argentina . They at least scored a goal and should have been a 2nd goal if it wasn't for the assistant's mistake.

Maradona was hoping for a miracle when he called old-as* players like Martin Palermo, but that didn't happen. He relied more on individual skills rather than tactics. We didn't see any magic from Messi, so there goes Argentina.

Maradona could be the best footballer in history, and now we know he's also the worst manager in history.

Last edited:

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Germany vs Argentina
4-0 yeah that's right Germany destroyed Argentina. It could have been that Messi had a cold, but doesn't matter 4 goals still stands. I thought Argentina would get at least 1 goal, they got none. Germany has a powerful passing game as well as speed. Germany now will have a Euro Cup rematch with Spain.

Spain vs Paraguay
So Spain had some troubles with Paraguya, what with Paraguay doing Nothing BUT Defense they were like an oyster. Too much defense can ruin a good passing game. But in the end defense fails since once the offense makes 1 goal the defense cannot catch up and loses. No to mention defense is a time drag. Well Spain will finally play against a team much like them, Germany whose offense is immense.

So it's basically all coming to a close now, the 4 best teams are chosen! I won't say who wins what now, but later. Let's go Spain I've been supporting you since you got cheated in the South Korea Game back in 2002, now it's Time!

Last edited:

Double-oh-Platypus

I'm quite surprised by the outcome of the Germany/Argentina game, but nonetheless I knew the Germans would win. They're an outstanding team this year and I didn't expect much less from them anyway.

And while I expected more out of Spain, I'm still glad they won. They're gonna have a tough time against Germany in the next match, and thought I will never tell my friend this (crazy Spain fan), I'm kind of thinking that Germany will take the cup... but I'm still rooting for Spain as Numero Uno. ;)

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
The Germans in the semis again, no surpise there.

I think I have a title - Germany time.
And hey J-Myc I told you Germany will go very far.
Spain VS Paraguay 2 -2
Not really, you didn't tell me anything and I didn't say they wouldn't.
Lionel Messi "World's best player", my as*. That was a humiliating loss for Argentina.
You obviously completely forgot about this past season then.

It's a shame to say that even England played better than Argentina . They at least scored a goal and should have been a 2nd goal if it wasn't for the assistant's mistake.
England were awful throughout the whole tournament. Argentina weren't as bad as England throughout it.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
You obviously completely forgot about this past season then.

No, I haven't forgotten what Messi did in the past seasons for Barcelona. Regardless, when your team (national) needs goal and you can't deliver one, that's a huge failure in my opinion. Messi didn't score a single goal in this tournament. In this quarter finals, when Argentina was in dire need of a goal to pull of an equalizer, he failed to do so.

Nowadays, we judge players by how they perform in leagues, but we complete forget that national team comes first than league. I also noticed something strange. Those who perform well in leagues or play in high level leagues usually flop when it comes to national level. Examples are C. Ronaldo, Drogba, and Messi. There are so much hypes about them, but they fail to save their team from defeat. On the other hand, less known players from low level leagues perform well in the World Cup.