• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Minority-

I'm glad there are people who think the Netherlands will win :D and some not *coughoverheatcough*
but if spain wins I'll be eating octopus tomorrow, paulllllllllllllllll <333333333333 come here :D

You meany! Leave poor Paul alone! Paul is awesome that is absolutely right uwu I hope his decision is right! lol

This is truly a golden generation for Spain and the peak time of their stars like Iniesta, Xavi and Villa, who are playing the best that they ever will. This is Spain's best chance to win and i think they will. They havent impressed me at all, but their performance against Germany is just enough to be considered worthy of being called World Champions.

Netherlands 0-1 Spain

I'll be happy just to see an entertaining game, and i hope my prediction doesnt come true and we see plenty of goals!
This is Spain's best generation, you're right. But Villa isn't THAT good. I mean, he scores goals, yeah, but he is overvalued. Xavi is WAY better than Villa, I can tell you that ;) Iniesta... pretty good too, but Xavi is best for me :p
And I also think it'll be 1-0 to Spain. Spain can win... but... they just keep passing the damn ball and don't attack! Tiki-taka-tiki-taka-tiki-TAKA. Buff.... if they only attacked a bit more... but I suppose it's their tactic... keep passing....

Anyways, me as follower of Spain (I'm from Spain, don't blame me) really hope they win today's match. If they don't win THIS cup, they'll never win. The Netherlands will have more chances to win... But damn, it's Spain's best generation! TwT

And my dear Paul predicted we will win <3
But... damn, Paul always chooses the right side (at least recently).

Anyways.... ¡A POR ELLOS, ESPAÑA, NO ME DEFRAUDÉIS!
Sorry, couldn't help it xDDD

(((Kuwagata Kross)))

Wazzupwiththeserver?
I guess it was Spain after all....kudos to Paul! I was rooting for Holland at the beginning of the game but as the game went on it was clear that the dutch were getting too violent, they began to play violently, committing bad faults that were very unnecessary, kinda like Brazil did against them. But anyways, Spain deserved it...

7 tyranitars

first of all, gratz spain, second of all rant time on that damn ref!!!!
is that guy ****ing blind or something!? giving for half a faul card to the Netherlands
and for double not a card against spain and then that goal first we deserved
a corner he didn't gave it second and then it was off side ok then nothing happened but then there came the goal :/

Night_Walker

:(

Third time could have been the charm for us, but now we'll never know...

The two teams were evenly match but Webb continually gave free kicks that weren't to the Spanish, let them get away with niggling fouls throughout and reached for his pocket twice as much with the Dutch when the Spanish committed the same kinds of fowls.

To top it all was the sharp relief in which the ref treated Iniesta and Heitinga - Iniestia committed an obvious spiteful foul in the second half after the ball was gone, because he'd been dispossessed by two Dutchmen and didn't get a free, but he didn't even get a card for it (in my eyes there's no place for that on the field and anyone who does it should get a straight red)...

Heitinga wasn't even touching the Spaniard when he went down (in fact he'd only had his hand on his shoulder for a brief moment) but oh no Webb went for his pocket - and that's what changed everything (and that Iniesta scored the winner, having been offside during the move, just adds further insult to injury...).

This was exactly what I was afraid of - bad referring rather then the quality of the play has decided the outcome of the Cup...

Now I won't pretend for a moment that the Dutch played a spotlessly clean match - some of their tackles were pretty nasty - but it just seemed that the Spanish got away with more (like I thought they did in their game with Germany).

Kross,
...Have a look at the match again before you say the Dutch were playing violently (the Spanish played every bit as dirty in my opinion - it was a pretty spiteful match). And then think about why they got frustrated - the ref was giving frees left and right to the Spanish but gave almost nothing to the Dutch apart from cards.

Last edited:

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Spain wins! This was nerve wrecking, more so than the Spain Germany game. Fouls everywhere, yellow cards on both sides though more on Netherland's side, that kick to the chest early on in the game should of been a red card, you don't kick a man straight in the chest when the ball is clearly not there and get away with it, but I guess the Netherlands guy got lucky.

It's TIME! The father/mother of Central & South American nations (except Brazil) is now among them as a world champion. Spain finally wins I knew they would since before everything started, I need not say more Spain is the champion end of tournament.
For the Netherlands, a 3 time silver place, better than most countries still. They certainly played way better than I thought, They are a definite soccer super power.

Overall World Cup Review:
Let's get the negativity out of the way. The ball, some one needs to fix that thing, it's too bouncy too light that's why no one could score the ball went off too far. Vuvuzuelas, there's got to be some kind of restriction of how many can be used at a time. Refs, a ton of ref mistakes and they already said FIFA Will bring the technology next time so we'll just have to see how it does.

Otherwise I liked it, about time some one paid attention to Africa, that live aid concert stuff don't count cause it's not in Africa itself. Being in Africa itself they got a ton of cash directly from tourist instead of the Red cross or something like that. I'm not a fan of Shakira, but that waca song was pretty catchy.
Next World cup 2014 is in BRAZIL! If I make enough money by that time I'm definitely going, Brazil is the soccer capital of the world it's gonna be even more fun. After that 2018-2022 I think Australia will be hosting gone of these I'm also interested in going there so the world cup will be my excuse to go.

Next the South America cup and Euro Cup, I'll have to wait & see if they'll broadcast it here then I'll watch.

Last edited:

Minority-

SPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! *celebrates* You just can't imagine how everyone is here! Fireworks, shouting, car-beeping, lol, everyone is so damn happy!

Anyways, I thought the Netherlands were bettr but... THEY WERE TOO VIOLENT! And the ref was defenetely by their side, Hollands kept discussing with the ref :p FOR EVERYTHING!

Anyways, I'm so happy Spain won, they deserve it *w*

Fenix

Tremulant
Howard Webb can be crowned as most retarded referee ever. Not only he made a huge amount of mistakes, he was an awful referee throughout the match. Kind of the cherry on top of fifa's lame referees.

It's really funny how he got to this match probably only as Fifa's apology to England. Goodjob Fifa.

Congratulations to Spain though, this was the last chance for their golden generation to win the World Cup (as Xavi, Puyol, Villa, Alonso and many others are at their peak) while Netherlands young players (with the exception of van Bommel and van Bronkhorst) can try again in Brazil.

Anyway the World Cup is over and for me it was almost as bad as 2002, as far as the quality of the referees go.

Double-oh-Platypus

That was an... interesting game. Loads of cards and everything, but Spain came out on top! It feels good, considering I was a Spain follower from the start and I can smile at all the people who told me no. Haha.

On the other hand, I thought the Netherlands played brilliantly. Their goalie had some good saves. :)

And the refs were just not that good. I mean, as a Spain supporter, even I agreed on calls that weren't called at all.

But, Spain for 2010 makes me happy <3

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Howard Webb can be crowned as most retarded referee ever. Not only he made a huge amount of mistakes, he was an awful referee throughout the match. Kind of the cherry on top of fifa's lame referees.

Apart form his leniency, which given the players were in a world cup final was somewhat justified on certain occasions, what mistakes did he make?

ForteAnly

Despite all the fouls from Holland it was a very intense and interesting game imo. None of the teams I was rooting for won but overall I enjoyed the 2010 World Cup. Aside from that I'm glad that Thomas Müller from the Germany got the Golden Boot and Diego Forlán from Uruguay got the Golden Ball they deserve it.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Worst World Cup in history and worst World Cup finals ever

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Spain really deserve it.
You remember Germany and now Netherlands' style against Spain? The knew that Spain are just much better. You could see them trying to get to the penalties instead to try to win the game.

Fenix

Tremulant
Apart form his leniency, which given the players were in a world cup final was somewhat justified on certain occasions, what mistakes did he make?
- Nigel de Jong should have gotten a straight red for going kung-fu on Xabi Alonso.
- SEVERAL wrong offside calls (for both of the teams).
- Spain players surrounded him and demanded yellow/red cards after every single foul, and he didn't do anything about it.
- Many of the yellow cards in the first half were half-assed.
- Heitinga's second yellow was for something that was hardly a foul. While on the other side of the pitch Puyol hugged Robben from behind in a 1-on-1 situation but the referee ignored it. (Well, you could say this is kinda Robben's fault for not diving to get a penalty + red card. Iniesta did the dive and at the end it made his team win so... meh. Cruelty in football and all of that)
- Iniesta should also try his luck in the Olympic diving competitions to be honest.
- Referee + Linesmen failing to see an obvious corner kick following Sneijder's free kick. The same ball ended up as Spain's winner goal. In other words, play leading to the goal should've been a corner.
- Webb even stopped a Netherlands counter-attack by being in the trajectory of Snejder's pass. I swear, even a dead turtle would have showed faster reflexes -_-.

Anyway, this "leniency" you speak of made him lose control of the game, which is something a good referee should never allow to happen.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

SPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! *celebrates* You just can't imagine how everyone is here! Fireworks, shouting, car-beeping, lol, everyone is so damn happy!

Anyways, I thought the Netherlands were bettr but... THEY WERE TOO VIOLENT! And the ref was defenetely by their side, Hollands kept discussing with the ref :p FOR EVERYTHING!

Anyways, I'm so happy Spain won, they deserve it *w*

gratz, but you got to be kidding me about the bolded part >.> spain played just as violant as us the only difference is that we didn't have a big crybaby like xavi who goes to ref 'look team mate has ouchie ohcie give card'

Despite all the fouls from Holland it was a very intense and interesting game imo. None of the teams I was rooting for won but overall I enjoyed the 2010 World Cup. Aside from that I'm glad that Thomas Müller from the Germany got the Golden Boot and Diego Forlán from Uruguay got the Golden Ball they deserve it.

once again spain did as much as the netherlands but the ref was defenitly on their side.

Minority-

gratz, but you got to be kidding me about the bolded part >.> spain played just as violant as us the only difference is that we didn't have a big crybaby like xavi who goes to ref 'look team mate has ouchie ohcie give card'
The ref wasn't by OUR side at least. Ok, now that I have celebrated and my emotive moment has passed I can agree that they were as violent. But the Hollands started, and Spain soon was at the same level. But they didn't do so dangerous fouls, as I could see, but they were violent, because they were angry, I can tell you that :p
Xavi? Crybaby? WHAT? If you had said another player I wouldn't care... but my dear Xavi! TwT Okay, he just cares about his team? So what? If your friend gets hurt, you try to do something, right? Pretty much the same. If you don't agree, I won't try to convince you, I just wanna say that Xavi just cares about his friends ;D
And... well... if you say Xavi was a crybaby for that... I suppose I have the right to say the same to Netherlands :D They protested for EVERYTHING (but they didn't cry, all right xD). I understand for some stuff, it's natural... but they were talking too much to the ref. The Spanish hardly talked to the ref, only in some occassions. And they should have talked more to the ref, he was too flexible.

The ref wasn't at either side, okay. But he didn't like Spain at all. They received a few that the netherlands got away with. They had... 8 cards? And they could have received 10 or more very easily, if it was another ref.

Aaaaand... erm... the netherlands at the begginning didn't go to play. They went to waste time and reach the penaltis. But they didn't expect Iniesta scoring. If they would have reached the penaltis as they wanted, they would have won, for sure. Casillas would stop a good number, but Spain wouldn't score much. They are really crappy at penaltis. That's what I didn't like from the netherlands, apart from the rough game they gave us and forced Spain to play as rough, they didn't go to play. They just wanted the penaltis.

But guess what? During the game, I cared about that. Now I don't! Spain won and that's it, they played better. If someone says opposite, you are on your own right, but Spain played better, so they won.

jellsprout

-De Jong getting a yellow instead of red card
-Heitinga's first yellow card
-Heitinga's second yellow card
-Van Persie's yellow card
-Robben's yellow card
-Van der Wiel's yellow card
-Mathijsen's yellow card
-Puyol not getting his second yellow card
-Xavi not getting his second yellow card
-Iniesta not getting his second yellow card
-The entire 116th minute
-Many wrong free kicks given, especially to Spain

The Dutch got several yellow cards for complaining to the ref, and the complaining was justified in each of these occasions. But when the Spanish complained to the ref, again the Dutch got yellow cards.
And Heitinga getting a second yellow card for standing close to Iniesta as he falls, with his arms in the air making it very clear he is not touching him, yet Puyol not even getting a talking to as he was hanging around Robben's waist when Robben was 1 vs 1 against the goalie.
The Netherlands lost, but not from Spain.

7 tyranitars

The ref wasn't by OUR side at least. Ok, now that I have celebrated and my emotive moment has passed I can agree that they were as violent. But the Hollands started, and Spain soon was at the same level. But they didn't do so dangerous fouls, as I could see, but they were violent, because they were angry, I can tell you that :p
Xavi? Crybaby? WHAT? If you had said another player I wouldn't care... but my dear Xavi! TwT Okay, he just cares about his team? So what? If your friend gets hurt, you try to do something, right? Pretty much the same. If you don't agree, I won't try to convince you, I just wanna say that Xavi just cares about his friends ;D
And... well... if you say Xavi was a crybaby for that... I suppose I have the right to say the same to Netherlands They protested for EVERYTHING (but they didn't cry, all right xD). I understand for some stuff, it's natural... but they were talking too much to the ref. The Spanish hardly talked to the ref, only in some occassions. And they should have talked more to the ref, he was too flexible

idk if it was avi for sure, but there was one player that when something happened he just went to ref really anoying, iniesta could have gotten a red card too on a few ocasion, and I have to agree de jong got away really good

but I can't do much about it only sad that the ref ruined the game for both sides, we just feel a bit more that way because we lost, and I heard the spanish people didn't liked him either :p

Minority-

The Dutch got several yellow cards for complaining to the ref, and the complaining was justified in each of these occasions. But when the Spanish complained to the ref, again the Dutch got yellow cards.
And Heitinga getting a second yellow card for standing close to Iniesta as he falls, with his arms in the air making it very clear he is not touching him, yet Puyol not even getting a talking to as he was hanging around Robben's waist when Robben was 1 vs 1 against the goalie.
The Netherlands lost, but not from Spain.
They complained MUCH more than the Spanish :S They complained for everything that happenned in the match XD Some things were right, but many weren't.
I agree Iniesta should have had a red card, tough. Even the commentarist on our TV said it. But he scored the goal, so... I won't say anything, though you're right lol
But Spain's fould were less dangerous (most of them)

idk if it was xavi for sure, but there was one player that when something happened he just went to ref really anoying, iniesta could have gotten a red card too on a few ocasion, and I have to agree de jong got away really good

but I can't do much about it only sad that the ref ruined the game for both sides, we just feel a bit more that way because we lost, and I heard the spanish people didn't liked him either :p
It could have been Xavi, I don't know, but he usually doesn't go really annoyed, he only goes to the ref when someone from the team gets really hurt :p From the Spanish team, I would expect that from anyone, but not Xavi. But it could have been.
And Iniesta deserved red. From before the goal. But... well, he scored, so i can't say anything xD

I suppose... but Spain wasn't happy at all at the ref, I can tell that =P Actually, the ref was horrible for both sides, he was blind or something, for both teams.

7 tyranitars

spain won, the ref is blind and that is final, hope we get can host the world cup in 2018

jellsprout

The ref should have given De Jong a red card. But he shouldn't have given Heitinga two yellow cards, while he should have given Xavi, Iniesta and Puyon their second yellow cards. So the Dutch got one red card, where they deserved one, while Spain got zero red cards, while they deserved three. And then there was the the 116th minute, where the Dutch should have given gotten a corner that wasn't given, should have gotten a free kick that wasn't given and which let to the goal of Spain.
The ref made poor decisions for both sides, but quite a bit more in the advantage of Spain.

And seriously, what dangerous play? Besides De Jong, there weren't any notable fouls. Only the foul by Van Bommel was deserving of a yellow card. The Dutch played just as honorably as the Spanish.