• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

So the Worst team won, Holland lost, and the Dutch who should be used to losing by now, sadly can't take the most boring game on the history of the world cup and take the loss on the chin. Tch, how disappointing.

diablo_200525

ミッドナイト ミュウツー
HAHA, just like I predicted.

Spain and the Netherlands in the final. Spain winning. MWhahaha, I shall collect my 100$ soon

It was quite the nail biter I tell you what. I was hoping for Spain to score and they did =D

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Some might see it as the greatest upset in the history of soccer but I see it as a fluke

poizonsting

Pokemon master
So the Worst team won, Holland lost, and the Dutch who should be used to losing by now, sadly can't take the most boring game on the history of the world cup and take the loss on the chin. Tch, how disappointing.

I couldn't agree with you more!

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.

Correction, the best team won, correction the most boring game you've seen in your history.

It's only natural to feel angry when your team loses, but if it's so horrid then just stop watching the sport. Next world cup Germany and Argentina will lose again and all these funny fans of their will again bash on who ever wins the final. And trust me there's been worst refs and worst games throughout the world cup, but I guess this is the first for many who've never seen many previous tournaments.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
This is truly a golden generation for Spain and the peak time of their stars like Iniesta, Xavi and Villa, who are playing the best that they ever will. This is Spain's best chance to win and i think they will. They havent impressed me at all, but their performance against Germany is just enough to be considered worthy of being called World Champions.

Netherlands 0-1 Spain

I'll be happy just to see an entertaining game, and i hope my prediction doesnt come true and we see plenty of goals!

Obviously. I just HAD to open my big mouth. Exactly what i had hoped NOT to happen. The most violent, ugliest and most boring match of my life. Except for the last gasp extra time winner when penalties were 2 minutes away....

Me and my family watched the final together with friends in a hotel big screen(the screen at our home was bigger much to my annoyance....). I had went there, a clean neutral, a little bit on Spain's side, cos i wanted Paul the octopus to be right(and he was yet again!) But as soon i entered the room, i saw 85% were probably on Spain's side, and they were booing Netherlands. I got ******. And started supporting the Netherlands. So dont feel bad 7 tyranitars!

Anyways, Spain does not deserve the title as best team on the planet by their World Cup performance. But, they deserve it with their previous results, their team's unity(mainly cos all of them play in the same club:p), and their golden generation.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Anyways, Spain does not deserve the title as best team on the planet by their World Cup performance. But, they deserve it with their previous results, their team's unity(mainly cos all of them play in the same club:p), and their golden generation.

That's actually true, Spain didn't do as much in the world cup as they did in previous matches such as the Euro Cup and their qualification matches to the world cup, and they didn't play some of the other great teams like Argentina and Brazil, who knows how they would of done against them. But all their recent achievements add up which is what really makes them great this time.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
If you guys really think spain deserved the Cup because they outclassed everyone else and because of teamwork or whatever you're talking about, look again. They played exactly the same as Greece in Euro 2004 - boring, pathetic football and then win the title. Every team they played against didn't go all out on attack because they were alert of spain's horrible defensive-counter attack strategy.

Megalomania

If you guys really think spain deserved the Cup because they outclassed everyone else and because of teamwork or whatever you're talking about, look again. They played exactly the same as Greece in Euro 2004 - boring, pathetic football and then win the title. Every team they played against didn't go all out on attack because they were alert of spain's horrible defensive-counter attack strategy.

?

But it worked didn't it?.. and the point is to win, no?

This was honestly the worst game I have ever watched, Spain diving left and right and Netherlands pulling these retarded tackles. Topped off with very sub-par refereeing to say the least.

Hey, Giygas, I'm English, I wanted Spain to win, but the worse team IE not Germany who played the best footballl, Germany were the best team, Germany, Giygas, Germany. Not Spain or Holland/Netherlands/Never Never Land/Linkara. But Germany. Hell, the third place playoff was more exciting then the final, so Giygas, research do it, before you make a complete fool outta yourself.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Hey, Giygas, I'm English, I wanted Spain to win, but the worse team IE not Germany who played the best footballl, Germany were the best team, Germany, Giygas, Germany. Not Spain or Holland/Netherlands/Never Never Land/Linkara. But Germany. Hell, the third place playoff was more exciting then the final, so Giygas, research do it, before you make a complete fool outta yourself.

Third place playoffs are always more exciting than the final, because the teams have nothing to lose. But i agree, Germany were the best, and most exciting team in the tournament!

Well at least New Zealand were the only unbeaten team in the world cup.

Dark Arceus

Worst. Name. Ever.
Well at least New Zealand were the only unbeaten team in the world cup.

I only managed to watch one New Zeland game, the one against Italy, but the way they composed themselves was magnificent and it's a shame they couldn't go through in the end. It would have added a little extra spice to the World Cup if a (no offence meant) relative minnow of World football was to reach the second round.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.

Germany was good, but being the best overall is your opinion and that's fine. As far as excitement Brazil & Argentina were the most exciting to watch, but that's opinion as well. What research do you suggest I do? I saw all the games, the world saw all the games, Spain outplayed every team they went up against except 1, if you thought it was boring and therefor not good, that's all you.

When Germany won 1990 world cup, they won all their final round matches by 1 goal except they had 1 penalty shoot out, much like Spain played today winning by 1 goal only and getting scored on few times. The final Argentina vs Germany is considered to be one of the worst world cup finals ever and was also low scoring as well 1-0. So those who like high scoring games this must mean Germany & Argentina both sucked back then huh. Read it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup#Final

Last edited:

poizonsting

Pokemon master
When Germany won 1990 world cup, they won all their final round matches by 1 goal except they had 1 penalty shoot out, much like Spain played today winning by 1 goal only and getting scored on few times. The final Argentina vs Germany is considered to be one of the worst world cup finals ever and was also low scoring as well 1-0. So those who like high scoring games this must mean Germany & Argentina both sucked back then huh. Read it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup#Final

Maybe Argentina and Germany were boring back then. I did not watch the '90 World Cup, I wouldn't know. Doesn't mean Argentina generally play boring, defensive football. I have some vague memory of '94 World Cup and I have been watching every World Cup since '98, and as far I can tell Argentina has played attacking and entertaining football.

Look at France. They won the '98 WC, but sucked in '02 and this World Cup, but that doesn't mean they suck in general.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Maybe Argentina and Germany were boring back then. I did not watch the '90 World Cup, I wouldn't know. Doesn't mean Argentina generally play boring, defensive football. I have some vague memory of '94 World Cup and I have been watching every World Cup since '98, and as far I can tell Argentina has played attacking and entertaining football.
Look at France. They won the '98 WC, but sucked in '02 and this World Cup, but that doesn't mean they suck in general.

Exactly history doesn't make a team bad or good in general. All teams have good times & bad times, This is Spain's good time, it was even a good time for Netherlands their world cup record is very short they missed out on many world cups. Compare France to Spain:
France: 1 Championship Spain: 1 championship.
France: 1 2nd place. Spain: 0 2nd place
France: 2 3rd place. Spain: 0 3rd place
France: 1 4th place. Spain: 1 4th place.
France: Did not qualify 6 times. Spain: Did not qualify: 5 times for the world cup.
France: Didn’t pass round 1, 7 times. Spain didn’t pass round 1, 4 times.

France has gone higher more than Spain has, but Spain has passed the 1st round 3 more times than France and Spain qualified for more world cups than France has by 1.

Argentina is usually a fun team to watch, but they have dull moments too, this world cup included, they Beat Nigeria 1-0, They beat Greece 2-0 and scored the 2 goals very late in the game and of course they lost 0-4 to Germany.

2006 World Cup they tied Germany 0-0 and lost in penalties, they tied netherlands 0-0 beat Ivory coast 2-1, they beat Serbia 6-0 that was Amazing!. Spain last world cup had a 4-0! victory over Ukraine, 3-1 win over Tunisia "better" than today I guess, but no trophy victory.

2002 was a bad year for Argentina, Win 1-0 Nigeria, 1-1 Sweden, and a loss to England 0-1 They didn't even get pass the 1st round/group matches it was England & Sweden that went through! What happened here?! Spain made it to quarter finals, 3-1 win over Slovenia 3-1 over Paraguay 3-2 South Africa, they finally lost to South Korea 0-0 in Penalties. Basically last 2 world cups show Spain scoring better than they did 2010, but they didn't win until now. Argentina hasn't been super explosive for 3 world cups either, but I still recognize their skill and I still like watching them play, and of course I recognize Spain's skill as well, many don't, but what ever.

Germany has the better track record here, but for some reason Spain is their weakness, they've lost 2 big matches in a row against Spain, and the next recent big match they had was World Cup 1994 in which they tied 1-1 during the group matches. Other than that they rarely ever play each other.

Last edited:
Well, in football the most exciting team never wins, and whomever I predict to win loses, so yeah. Anyway, let's just say Spain are OK, France are rubbish now 'cause they ain't got Zidane who were their only good player (2002 and 2010, didn't have him group stage, 1998 and 2006 they did, reached the final so ergo France are a one man band.) And Germany are exciting, youthful but suck at altitude. (They lost to Spain at altitude.) Also, England are utter shite at football, no seriously we are.
3 Heroes of World Cup: Spain, Germany and New Zealand.
3 Villains of World Cup: Netherlands, England and France.
I say Netherlands because you ***** and moan at the referee because you Dutch people are too hotheaded and unsurprisingly seeing as this is the year of the fluke, reached the final, after playing 1 good team (Brazil)

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
If anyone wants to see Spain lose, August 11 Spain will have a friendly against Mexico! And Mexico will win! I doubt Spain will use all their super stars and this will be at Estadio Azteca (Aztec Stadium) Biggest stadium in Latin America 105,000+ capacity and Mexico hardly loses here, they even beat Brazil here. This stadium is "cursed" this is were Maradona's "Hand of God" happened, and was the last stadium Brazil's Pele and Argentina's Maradona won their last world cup in so it's a historical place. It'll be interesting to see how Spain fairs right after their world cup win.

Last edited: