• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
With permission, I've taken over from the previous thread by The Boss Giygas. Here's a link to the previous thread:http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=452455

africa.png

The FIFA World Cup is just days away! Its time for predictions(optional) aswell as the latest news.

The Prediction Game points are as follows.

For Group Stage Matches:

Correct Result: 3 points
Exact Scoreline: 6 points

Round of 16 Matches:

Correct Result: 5 points
Exact Scoreline: 10 points

Quarter Finals

Correct Result: 10 points
Exact Scoreline: 20 points

Semi Finals

Correct Result: 20 points
Exact Scoreline: 40 points

Finals

Correct Result: 50 points
Exact Scoreline: 100 points

In additon to this, there are points awarded for predicting the places correctly. For eg. predicting the groups in the correct order. This is will obviously end by 11th June as soon as the whistle blows for South Africa vs. Mexico.

Group Stage:

Correctly predicting one team to advance: 3
Correctly predicting both teams to advance: 15
Correctly predicting any three places: 20
Correctly predicting the entire group order: 35

The rest will be decided later

I myself will handle all the duties of updating the points but everyone can do it themselves and PM me the points.

Prediction Contest:

1. ~-Overheat-~: 307

2. 7 tyranitars: 282

3. Night Walker: 236

4. J-Myc: 215

5. The Boss Giygas: 187

6. Ash-kid: 166

7. Double_Oh_Platypus: 156

8. Timothy mimefan Sillery: 155

9. otaku dono: 152

10. shinyponita: 142

11. masukippa: 83

12. Vincenzo Hikari:72
bigtukker: 72

13. Natsu's Inferno: 45

14. AquaMilotic: 40
PokemonHero: 40

15. LucarioWolf: 36

16. poizonsting: 27

17. Felly: 24

18. diablo 200525: 20

19. Lugia4ever: 14

20. Electicrow: 10

21. Jirachidude:9
saar: 9

22. SHINY CATCHER: 3
Fenix: 3

Theres only 2 more days left! Lets start the discussion and predictions!

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
More injury news

Cool, might have a go at this prediction lark in a bit. Iniesta is having a scan on his leg after yesterday's 6-0 win for Spain against Poland. Seems to be more and more injuries coming in, at this rate the team that makes it into the final will most likely have only 7 fit players to start with.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Good to see this continuing, I might give the predictions thing a go but I'm curious about if you make group stage predictions for all the group games or each set of games (ie first set of games).

Each set of games. Like now, we can predict this weekend's games, then on saturday, we can predict the midweek games and so on. You can predict maximum 5 days ahead if you want, but not more than that because by that time, this thread will have a lot of pages and i might not remember check 4 pages previously and miss your predictions.

Cool, might have a go at this prediction lark in a bit. Iniesta is having a scan on his leg after yesterday's 6-0 win for Spain against Poland. Seems to be more and more injuries coming in, at this rate the team that makes it into the final will most likely have only 7 fit players to start with.

I know, i heard about Iniesta's 'injury' but i dont think its serious. He'll be fit for the tournament plus Spain's first game is still a week away.

Prediction Time! Oh god this is so exciting, its finally here!

Friday 11th June
FIFA World Cup

15:00 South Africa 1-1 Mexico
19:30 Uruguay 1-1 France

Saturday 12th June
FIFA World Cup

19:30 England 2-1 USA
12:30 South Korea 1-1 Greece
15:00 Argentina 3-1 Nigeria

And many people already predicted whoever will advance from the group stage in the previous thread. I'll take those aswell if they dont predict here.

Last edited:

Night_Walker

Each set of games. Like now, we can predict this weekend's games, then on saturday, we can predict the midweek games and so on. You can predict maximum 5 days ahead if you want, but not more than that because by that time, this thread will have a lot of pages and i might not remember check 4 pages previously and miss your predictions.
Alrighty, that sounds pretty rational to me.

Okay I'll stick my neck out:
Mexico 1 - South Africa 0
Uruguay 1 - France 2
Argentina 1 - Nigeria 0
Korea Republic 1 - Greece 0
England 2 - USA 1

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I just can't get it, why players can't keep themselves from big tackles and such things, especially in training and friendly matches? It's not the real games, so they better be careful.

Friday 11th June
FIFA World Cup

South Africa 2-1 Mexico
Uruguay 0-1 France

Saturday 12th June
FIFA World Cup

England 3-2 USA
South Korea 0-1 Greece
Argentina 1-0 Nigeria

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Predos

I just can't get it, why players can't keep themselves from big tackles and such things, especially in training and friendly matches? It's not the real games, so they better be careful.
Because being careful in these sort of game isn't going to inject the professionalism and mentality needed for when it's called for. To use an analogy it's a bit like saying why bother doing practice exam papers when it's not the real thing. If you're in the habit of playing your hardest in these sort of games then you can carry that over to the real thing and it becomes less daunting to play your best.

Group Stage A- Friday 11th June
South Africa 0-2 Mexico
Uruguay 1-1 France

Mexico are a far more technically gifted side as opposed to South Africa and I see them being able to create more goal scoring opportunities.

I can see France qualifying but I think they'll get off to a bumpy start.

Group Stage B- Saturday 12th June
South Korea 3-3 Greece
Argentina 3-0 Nigeria

Group Stage C- Saturday 12th June
England 3-1 USA

Though with all the injuries England have had, I wouldn't be surprised with a draw of some sort but it'll be a far closer match up than some would suggest.

Final group standings

Group A
France
Mexico
Uruguay
South Africa

Group B
Argentina
Nigeria
Greece
South Korea

Group C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D
Germany
Ghana
Serbia
Australia

Group E
Netherlands
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Slovakia
Paraguay
New Zealand

Group G
North Korea
Brazil
Portugal
Ivory Coast

Group H
Spain
Chile
Switzerland
Honduras

natie

Mr. F
Bleh. I'd be more interested in FIFA if it wasn't football (or soccer, whatever you call it) but rather video games. Or some other kind of sports. Yeah.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Because being careful in these sort of game isn't going to inject the professionalism and mentality needed for when it's called for. To use an analogy it's a bit like saying why bother doing practice exam papers when it's not the real thing. If you're in the habit of playing your hardest in these sort of games then you can carry that over to the real thing and it becomes less daunting to play your best.

It could be said in the beginning, when all the stars have not been injured. After several were injured, they should put a special emphasis on it.
They can give their best even in training, but just be more careful.
If they're having a tackle or something, just don't be so hard with that. It doesn't mean they won't be able to this in the World Cup, it's not something that can be forgotten.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Who doesn't quite like a hard tackle...

Bleh. I'd be more interested in FIFA if it wasn't football (or soccer, whatever you call it) but rather video games. Or some other kind of sports. Yeah.
Wow, yeah...umm...so...yeah well, thanks for that little gem. There's the door take care not to hurt yourself on the way out.

It could be said in the beginning, when all the stars have not been injured. After several were injured, they should put a special emphasis on it.
They can give their best even in training, but just be more careful.
If they're having a tackle or something, just don't be so hard with that. It doesn't mean they won't be able to this in the World Cup, it's not something that can be forgotten.
Why shouldn't they go in hard (if that's how they normally go in)? Like I said it injects good habits and the likes into a player's usual game plan.

When I'm training with my team, I get tired with everyone taking it easy with the challenges and backing out and such because the same thing happened on match day. If you begin making a habit of lessening the intensity of your challenges then it does seep into the way you play on the match day.

If anything this is the reason why managers should just take players that are going to be fit rather than ones that are going to be injured due to a hard tackle.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Here's my two cents:

South Africa vs Mexico: 0-1
Uruguay vs France: 1-2
Argentina vs Nigeria: 3-0
England vs USA: 1-1
Korea vs Greece: 0-0

natie

Mr. F
Wow, yeah...umm...so...yeah well, thanks for that little gem. There's the door take care not to hurt yourself on the way out.
I know, interesting post, right? I just thought I'd give a small opinion on football, but not really to be taken seriously ;)

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Group G
North Korea
Brazil
Portugal
Ivory Coast

Wait, I'm kind of lost here....what? Is this for gags? Because this will be counted while giving the points(unless you dont care, which is another thing)

Anyone thinks Drogba, Robben and Iniesta will be fit for the World Cup?

mimefan's Final group standings (With points.)

Group A
Mexico 6
South Africa 6
Uruguay 6
France 0

Group B
Argentina 9
South Korea 4
Greece 2
Nigeria 1

Group C
England 5
USA 3
Algeria 2
Slovenia 2

Group D
Germany 4
Ghana 4
Australia 4
Serbia 4

Group E
Netherlands 9
Japan 3
Cameroon 3
Denmark 3

Group F
Paraguay 6
Italy 5
Slovakia 4
New Zealand 1

Group G
Brazil 9
Ivory Coast 4
Portugal 4
North Korea 0

Group H
Spain 9
Chile 4
Honduras 2
Switzerland 1

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Oooh yes

Wait, I'm kind of lost here....what? Is this for gags? Because this will be counted while giving the points(unless you dont care, which is another thing)
I am deadly serious.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
For anyone living in my country of abode (England), what is your opinion of the English media?

Obviously I can't imagine anyone would rate it too highly. Personally I reckon without the media we would've won three world cups by now. (I exaggerate, but the point is that the media seem to go out of their way to cause us to lose the tournament.)

And to all the people living in other World Cup participating countries (or maybe ones that aren't). What is the hype like for the World Cup? What is the coverage like? What is the emotion of your country's populace? It surely cannot be as bad as England's is.

Night_Walker

As far as the reckless tackles we've seen, I think we have to understand that the teams who've qualified aren't in 'friendly' mood any-more. They're in World Cup mode now, especially the ones who're not certain starters - they're pushing to prove themselves, so they're amped up and desperate to prove themselves... Hence they take risks they normally wouldn't in an attempt to prove they have the dedication to play on the grandest stage.

In news for Australian fans:
Apparently Tim Cahill is still carrying a neck injury that he at least aggravated in the match with the US.

I think Timmy is a potentially big loss for the Australian team, he does have a habit of popping up in the box no matter who is marking him.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
My bets for this weekend go to:

Group Stage A- Friday 11th June
South Africa 1-2 Mexico
Uruguay 3-2 France

Group Stage B- Saturday 12th June
South Korea 2-0 Greece
Argentina 4-0 Nigeria

Group Stage C- Saturday 12th June
England 2-2 USA

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid

In news for Australian fans:
Apparently Tim Cahill is still carrying a neck injury that he at least aggravated in the match with the US.

I think Timmy is a potentially big loss for the Australian team, he does have a habit of popping up in the box no matter who is marking him.

Without Cahill Ausralia's squad doesn't look so good, not like one who can make it to the next round in the world cup.

I know he's only one player, but he has tons of experience. I hope for you that he will recover.