• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

diablo_200525

ミッドナイト ミュウツー
Well I am still going to root for spain... And here is my contribution for the team =p

[IMG200]http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww221/diablo_200525/DSCF0531.jpg[/IMG200]
I was missing a flag on the attena.. A big one

I think they may go almost all the way this year, here's to spain! *Honks horn

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Well now I'll give the predictions:

Netherlands 1-2 Brazil
Ghana 1-0 Uruguay

I can see Ghana make it to the semi-finals but not far than that.

Night_Walker

Right, we're at the business end now guys :)

Netherlands 2 - 1 Brazil
This is partially a reflection of the fact I want the Dutch to win it all, but frankly I haven't been impressed by this Brazilian team during this cup.
They don't look as dangerous going forward as we'd expect Brazil to be, and I'm not convinced their defence is that soild.
The Dutch,while at times not stunning but typically convincing, look solid in defence and quite good going forward.

Uruguay 2 - 1 Ghana.
Ghana have proven quite as good as they had to potential to be, but I think Uruguay are simply stronger.

This World Cup has yet again proven exactly why we need to introduce technology to aid in making the right calls. ...Of course with Sepp Blatter, who stubbornly refuses to take his head out of the sand, in charge I'll doubt anything will change until I hear the change reported on.

I still can't believe that some referees have the nerve to suggest that their mistakes are part of the 'human factor' in the game. The referees are there to apply the laws of the game fairly and impartially, the 'human factor' revolves solely around the players as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Predictions

Netherlands 0-3 Brazil
Uruguay 2-0 Ghana

7 tyranitars

lolling at every single person who predicted brasil to win :p
so only me and night walker predicted the Netherlands to win? :O

tbh the whole country went crazy here:D

Calm PokeMaster

Well now I'll give the predictions:

Netherlands 1-2 Brazil
Ghana 1-0 Uruguay

I can see Ghana make it to the semi-finals but not far than that.

Based on the Brasil vs Nederlands result, I think Uruguay will now win 1-0. Since the Dutch won 2-1, altohugh I want Ghana to win.

Even if Ghana loses, I still have Argentina to support, Germans got to last 8 because of a bad refreeing decision.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!

Dude, i was supporting Netherlands all the way!:D Just predicted a win for Brazil....i was about to edit and predict a draw with Brazil winning in extra time, but we went out. Anyways, screw that, Netherlands deserved to go through and i'm so happy!

GERMANY-HOLLAND final!!!!!

(((Kuwagata Kross)))

Wazzupwiththeserver?

Yeah, we lost and I must say you guys certainly played better, specially in the second time... I can't find the reasons for Brazil to change it's game so much from the first to the second half.. I was actually relieved after the first time. I even think you guys could've made more goals in the second half, because our game was simply ridiculous. The thing is quarter finals for Brazil, for the people here, it's simply mediocre, it's reason enough for Dunga to have completely stained his football career, and Felipe Melo, that guy's gonna have a hard time here... He was just ridiculous! He scored a goal in Netherland's favor and then got thrown out for a fowl that made me hate him, that guy's got the wrong atitude all the way.
But anyways, good luck now, I'm gonna be cheering for Ghana, but it's really hard for them to win so in case they drop out, I'll be rootin' for you guys, you deserve it!

7 tyranitars

Dude, i was supporting Netherlands all the way!:D Just predicted a win for Brazil....i was about to edit and predict a draw with Brazil winning in extra time, but we went out. Anyways, screw that, Netherlands deserved to go through and i'm so happy!

GERMANY-HOLLAND final!!!!!

didn't said that you didn't suported it :eek: just said that you didn't predicted it ^^

anyway I would love that final considering the netherlands and germany are rivals in football :D
the last 10 mins where sooo horible xd I was like damn it just blow you whistle rev XD, and then the second his whistle was heard the whole neighbourhood exploded.
I'm seeing the Netherlands win it :D

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Brazil vs Netherlands.
Well what have we here? Brazil out and Netherlands in. That's what happens when you drink your Orange Juice! Brazil got mad late in the game and they certainly weren't the fun playing Brazilians they should of been. Netherlands want it and unless they choke in their next match, they have this down and we'll see them at the finals.

Ghana vs Uruguay
Uruguay played defensive, but Ghana played better I think. Uruguay wins though, again by Penalties, I don’t like Penalties they prove nothing anyone can kick the ball without the pressure of anyone else getting in your way. Once again a great team got cheated. Uruguay goes up against Netherlands and won’t win.

As far the refs go, I don’t see too many problems with them.
The refs do not have total control like in other sports, sure there’s been some bad calls, but not 100%. And NO new technology. This sport is a classic and should be played raw as is. Introducing technology WILL slow down the game with all the replay reviews and all this other crap, and like the NFL the games will be won by referee calls rather than pure sport skill. The ref has limited power now, give them technology and they will have Unlimited power and basically ruin the sport. If the ref misses something he misses it that’s it, this is a human sport not a machine video game.

Anyways for tomorrow.
Argentina vs Germany: 1-3 A hard one, both teams tend to score high, but I'm giving it to Germany. Germany wins.
Spain vs Paraguay: 3-0 Spain easy.

Last edited:

rekreatur

Ghana-Uruguay was bullshit. I only watched the last 20 minutes but from what I've seen, Ghana was the better team and Uruguay just plain disgusts me after seeing what they did to avoid losing.

Double-oh-Platypus

Let me not be the first to say that I'm surprised by the outcome of the Brazil/Netherlands game because I was one of those who was thinking Brazil would win. Oh well.

I'm really starting to think the final will shape up to something like Spain/Netherlands, but it's hard to tell. Germany's doing so well, but being a Spain supporter, I'm naturally rooting for them to the end. But now that my last prediction cannot come true, I'm thinking the finals will look like this:

Spain - 1
Netherlands - 2
Germany - 3

But all of this is up in the air because Germany/Argentina's gonna be crazy and if Spain/Netherlands meet in the finals that's gonna be crazy too.

As for the upcoming matches:

Argentina 1 - 2 Germany (extra time, I'm thinking?)
Spain 2 - 1 Paraguay.

Night_Walker

I'm still surprised that so many people, both here and in the circles of football commentators, were amazed that the Netherlands pulled out the win.

Granted the Netherlands has never won the Cup before, but that doesn't mean that we're automatically outclassed by someone who has (even Brazil). Matches are decided by the teams on the field not those of prosperity.

The Brazilian team that went onto the field just wasn't up to the task.

Aside from that one, horrible, mistake by the Dutch in the first half Brazil just couldn't disassemble the Dutch defence. The only times they really managed to cause chaos in the Dutch penalty area after that was from set-pieces.

There was some individual brilliance by some of the Brazilians but they never really linked up. Whereas the Dutch took their time building up attacks and came forward in groups that linked up and looked a lot more dangerous.

I think the deciding factor was the mental toughness of the Dutch.
When they went a goal down so early they could have given it up - but they stayed positive, they kept playing their game, and in the end they were rewarded for it.
The Brazilians on the other hand just seemed to go to pieces after the Dutch scored, what discipline they had in terms of their tackles and attitude towards the refs just crumpled - and it was completely shattered after the Dutch got that second one.

The ref was shocking; Brazilians definitely played rougher yet they only got 1 yellow card, while the Dutch got 4 (2 of which have ruled players out for our next match... thank you very much) and there was an offside against us that was definitely onside. And I still think the Brazilians were lucky to get away with having 10 men on the field at the end of play:
Bastos chopped the legs out from under Robben, from behind, about 5 times and only got a single yellow for it.
Robinho should have at least been cautioned after he brought Robben down then went back to berate him after the ref gave the freekick to the Dutch. And I think later he mouthed off at the ref for another freekick.

Boss_Giygas,
Technology will not slow the game down, I mean seriously the replays the broadcasters made that showed the mistakes the refs made took all of about 10-20 seconds to show - we've got stoppage time for a reason (and if we were able to stop the main clock and start another for all stoppages we could have more accurate amounts of stoppage time).

And it certainly won't change it - the rules will still be the same, the players will still be humans. A referee's mistake is not part of the human factor of the game, it's a mistake.
I mean seriously, would you walk up to a team that lost or got a draw but should have got a draw or a win because one of their shots crossed the line but the linesman didn't see that and say "the ball did cross the line but the ref didn't see it, hard luck."?

Heck there's already a mircochip in the ball, why not try to create a system, like in ice hockey, when the ball crosses the line a buzzer goes off? Or put a camera in the crossbar.

I just don't understand the reluctance to move to technology now that we've got it. It won't change what makes the game so great - the players and their talent - it will just make sure the rules are applied properly.

Anyway onto tonight:
Argentina 2 - 3 Germany.
This could well be the match of the round, although it's got some ground to make up on the Netherlands vs Brazil match, cause both of these teams look very strong - especially going forward. Neither team's defence has proven that strong either so it could be a high scoring one.
They seem pretty evenly matched, although I think the German attack may be a shade stronger, and it may well come down to if the young Germans can keep their cool under the pressure of a Quarter Final.

Parguay 0 - 2 Spain.
Spain have come back from that shock opening loss really well, and shown why they were favourites heading into the Cup. Parguay just hasn't performed the same way at all, and I can't see them winning it or even forcing it to extra time (much less penalties).

Disclaimer: I was supporting Netherlands but thought Brazil would win. Damn it I should've gone with my gut. :/

Germany 2 - 2 Argentina (Germany wins on penalties again)
Spain 3 - 1 Paraguay

Two nights in a row of sleeping at 4am? Worth it.

Luis Suárez. What a hero. His country goes before him. He knew it was Uruguays only chance. He knew there was a lot of pressure on Gyan. I hope he gets only one match suspension. I'm Dutch, but I support Uruguay, with Ajax players Suárez and Lodeiro. I don't like this boring Dutch team. I really hope Uruguay wins the World Cup, with Suárez scoring the winning goal in the final. It was against the rules, but what a hero.

Argentinia - Germany 2-3
Paraguay - Spain 0-2

Netherlands - Uruguay 3-1
Germany - Spain 1-0

Netherlands - Germany 1-2