• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official G/S/C SHINY Thread

whowantshoney

Melancholic Trainer
kinda new here. I just wanted to share my list of shinies.

Slugma at route 18 when I'm grinding my pichu
Ratata at Union Cave
Nidorina at route 15 (2 days still haven't seen any chansey)
Geodude near new bark town
Zubat from dark cave near violet city
Ursaring and Golbat at Mt. Silver

Edit:

forgot to include Stantler when chasing Entei below Ecruteak.

Last edited:

Hunter_Crystal

Shiny Hunter Lv.1
Got a Shiny Lugia after 10,881 SR's, A Shiny Lapras after 3,441 SR's, and A Shiny Eevee with 245 SR's :)

101stkillah

I've caught one shiny Rattata before, and that accounts for the the only Shiny I have ever caught in GSC. I've never actually hunted them either, but I think that I might want to start!

DarkSouls

Lord i can only remember i had one shiny on gold that was the first shiny i had besides gyarados.
I found a shiny Growlithe when i was on my way to wake up the dog trio.
No idea about the IV's i still dont know how to find those things out haha

Tyrantrum

Don't the pokemon egg that you get from the breeders have a 50/50 chance of being shiny?

classic myth

Gen One Veteran
I found a shiny bear thing (Can't remember the name starts with a t) in victory road.

Tyrantrum

I found a shiny bear thing (Can't remember the name starts with a t) in victory road.

That might have been a Teddiursa I think. Not sure if they are found in Victory Road but that is as close to a 'bear thing' as I can think.

Mi-tan

The only shiny I've ever found thus far was in Silver - a Geodude on Route 3(? the one outside Azalea Town/Slowpoke Well/et al). Had no idea what to do with it - I don't think I even knew what a shiny was back then - so I just boxed it. I probably caught a few red Gyaradoses too, but that doesn't stick out in my memory as much since it was a plot point.

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
Hmmm my Crystal Shinies;
Magby and Hitmonlee, both Odd Egg
Krabby,caught by fishing in Cianwood City
Caterpie, caught on the way to Mr. Pokemon's house.
And of course the Gyarados everyone gets ;P

Carcinogenic

The first shiny I ever caught was a Swinub in Crystal. Then, when it evolved to Piloswine, for the longest time I thought it wasn't shiny anymore, because I apparently wasn't sure on what a Piloswine was naturally colored XD It was years later before I realized that they're normally brown, not gold, and I still had something special.

My first one was a shiny Miltank I got when hunting for Suicune in Silver.
I then found a shiny Tentacool on my way to catch yet another Lapras and a shiny Tangela when looking for a Mr. Mime.
On Crystal a shiny Cleffa hatched from the egg you receive at the day care, but I forgot to trade it over to Stadium 2 before starting a new game.

Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark

Galaxy Trainer
I remember thinking, at that point not knowing about the existence of shiny pokemon, that shiny Pokemon were sort of roaming pokemon in Crystal. Because I encountered a shiny Golbat a few times in the Ice Path. On the second or third occasion in did manage to catch it. I also once encountered a shiny Sneasel in Crystal once, but I think I accidentely defeated it.

piplup1036

I'm currently trying to hatch me a shiny miltank, currently I've only hatched 32 eggs...

King_ReaperxX

I haz 3 shinies :c Kangaskhan,Slowbro,Rapidash

grey wing

Johto League Champ
Aside from the red gyarados, the only shiny I ever found in crystal was a weedle I caught in a bug-catching contest. Needless to say I evolved it, and tried to breed more shinnies from it.

Jcard363

Man I put 300+ hours into my Gold before the game corrupted.
Some of my best memories with that had to have been finding a pink Butterfree, hatching a shiny Tyrouge, and battling Red for the first time.
Back then I didn't have internet nor someone to tell me what to do or how to play it. Finding Kanto was also a mind blowing moment for me as a kid. I remember not liking that they took out the Safari Zone, but battling all the gym leaders again was epic.
I was also confused why Cinnabar Island was the way it was. But man what fun times. I only wish I had caught the legendary's haha.

c1234

Trainer Since '98
Is there any way to see if the Pokemon is a shiny while playing G/S on a GameBoy?

Pigeon Mitch

Eraser Rain
Only if you have the sound turned up and watch intently. Should still produce sparkles and the sound effect.

My first ever shiny was on Gold. Long before I caught the Red Gyarados, I found a Shiny Hoppip just before Azalea Town. I later reclaimed that Hoppip in Platinum. Definitely miss my original Hoppip.