• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official G/S/C SHINY Thread

Sceptile Master

Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression
The only shiny I have in a gen 2 game (which is Crystal) is a shiny Cleffa from the odd egg. It's now a Clefable I use for my Crystal team. (Gyarados not counting of course.)

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
Well let's see...

Other than the Red Gyarados, I've seen a few other shinies. In Crystal the only one I can remember finding was from the Odd Egg, which hatched into a shiny Cleffa. In Silver, on a previous playthrough I found a shiny Venonat, and on my last playthrough before my current one I found a second shiny Gyarados (was fishing in the Lake of Rage to train something and went "What, that's a lame shiny to find randomly") and much later an Arbok. Haven't seen one on my most recent playthrough, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Ofor

I had a shinny Ho-Oh, the Red Gyarados and shiny Krabby, all on Silver. The shinny Krabby was found in the cave where you can get Lugia, in the bit of ground just before the entrance to where Lugia is.

Then my battery died. Oh well.

Zaia

I've had a fair few shinies in my experience.. i'll try to list them all down:

Shinies that I currently have on my stadium 2 cart:
- ditto (obtained via mimic)
- gyarados - 0/14/10/10/10/10 dvs, very disappointed, so close to 8/15
- steelix (no idea about dvs, obtained from friend)
- tyranitar - 0/10 hp/atk, used him in poke cup round 2, born as larvitar using shiny ditto

Formerly had, have caught:
- paras (ilex forest)
- tentacool (near cinnabar)
- zubat (bruce wayne's mansion)
- geodude (route 45)
- hoothoot

But my very first shiny....

In july 2001, i was borrowing a friend's gba with silver. He had done the 8 badges but not the league, and had let me borrow to play around in his save. I went into whirl islands and encountered Lugia, but he had a strange set of sparkles and was a different color to the Lugia i'd remembered (from Pokemon 2000). I caught it and used good tms on it and started training it and all that, totally unaware that it was shiny and unbelievably rare. When i gave the gba back my friend was annoyed that i'd used his tms on things, so he restarted. Considering how soon after the game had come out, this could have been one of the earliest encounters with a shiny legendary... i can't imagine there have been more than a handful ever, even since then.

Now i can just do the dv trick with the gb tower to transfer shiny dvs to anything i feel like, but it'll always be special if i run into a shiny legitimately. I always carry a few master balls just in case

golduck#1

So I was just on bulbapedia checking out some Pokemons info. After a couple I check my favourites Golduck. I read the details and eventually got to what it looks like in every game and as I was scrolling I was looking at the Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald sprites of the normal and shiny and thought thats terrible, the normal golduck sprite should be like the yellow one and as I went up to look at the yellow one I thought wait why is there two golducks on Gold and Silver (because I forgot about shiny pokemon back then) and saw the shiny Golduck and it hit me, I had that Golduck in my first crystal game, thus making it my first shiny. At the time I didn't think it was shiny because I only had one Golduck and thought it just looked different from behind like different colour and always thought to myself that it should of been that colour on the front. So really Golduck was my first ever shiny (if you don't count Gyarados)! What are the chances hey :)

P.s I know it sounds ridiculous and you may think that I am just saying this because it's my favourite pokemon but really I am not. Why would I even care about that, I am 19 for god sake and have had over 100 different shiny Pokemon in the past.

Tibikei

A few minutes ago, I was searching Route 37 for Suicune, who the Pokédex told me was currently residing there.
Instead, I found a Shiny Stantler! :D
Not counting Red Gyarados, this is - I think, I am not completely sure - the first Shiny I ever encountered in a handheld game (I discovered Shiny Pokémon before when playing the games on a computer emulator), so this is really something for me. Suicune got away with its damned Roar a minute afterwards, but I don't really mind. Fair trade, I'd say!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I encountered a Shiny Unown (F) at the Ruins of Alph last week on Gold version. I was just wandering around the ruins trying to get all the different Unown and it appeared. At first when it appeared I was disappointed because I thought it was just another Unown that I already had, but when I saw it sparkle, I got so excited. Catching it was a tough operation though. I couldn't weaken it so I tossed Poke Balls and Great Balls, and it took a long time to finally snag that thing. After I captured it I sort of browsed through its stats and then I deposited it. I don't plan on using it or anything; it's just something that's neat to look at.

I just caught a shiny stantler on a crystal run :D

Around two months ago I caught a shiny sentret, which I evoled into a lovely bright pink furret :p

Unforutatly both these runs were on an emulater on my phone, so I cant show you any pictures, sorry. Wish my old gameboy silver/crystal roms still worked, darn battery.

Blazing Charmander

I ran into a shiny Suicune on Crystal today after spending a number of sessions over the past month or so soft resetting for one in the Tin Tower. While I thought that I was sufficiently prepared to battle and capture it, I soon found out that I was wrong. With 24 Ultra Balls, 15 Poke Balls and 18 Great Balls in my bag (my Master Ball was used on Lugia earlier on), I used my Lanturn to paralyse it before sending out Ariados to weaken it with Night Shade. When its HP was low, I proceeded by throwing ball after ball at it with EVERY one of them failing. Suffice to say I was, and still am, gutted. However, I am far from giving up on catching a shiny Suicune.

[IMG200]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/Baggiejim91/20130414_174839_small.jpg[/IMG200]

Attachments

• 20130414_174839_small.jpg
    20130414_174839_small.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Master Leo

The Dark Side
I ran into a shiny Suicune on Crystal today after spending a number of sessions over the past month or so soft resetting for one in the Tin Tower. While I thought that I was sufficiently prepared to battle and capture it, I soon found out that I was wrong. With 24 Ultra Balls, 15 Poke Balls and 18 Great Balls in my bag (my Master Ball was used on Lugia earlier on), I used my Lanturn to paralyse it before sending out Ariados to weaken it with Night Shade. When its HP was low, I proceeded by throwing ball after ball at it with EVERY one of them failing. Suffice to say I was, and still am, gutted. However, I am far from giving up on catching a shiny Suicune.

[IMG200]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/Baggiejim91/20130414_174839_small.jpg[/IMG200]

I know that feel. I soft reseted fir Suicune on my Crystal and had to use my Master Ball on it. A month later I reseted for Shiny Lugia. I found it, but every one of my Ultra Balls failed and it struggled to death. Biggest fail in my shiny hunting career.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I only saw one shiny Pokémon in my entire play-through of Silver version, and that was a shiny Ponyta. I found it by chance at Mount Silver one morning before I was to go to school, and my jaw had dropped when I saw it. I wanted to catch it, I really did, but the stupid Pokémon fled :/. I was kinda interested in getting shiny Pokémon when I first heard of it and later saw it, but I was never the patient type, so I never attempted to search for shinies.

Yup.

Blazing Charmander

True to my word, I didn't give up on encountering another Shiny Suicune and after three long weeks of searching, Suicune finally shone again! :D It felt like a tougher search than last time, but I felt fairly safe with the knowledge that I bought over 100 Ultra Balls in preparation for the encounter. After failing to catch Suicune in well over half of my Ultra Balls, I was beginning to worry that the battle would drag out to the extent that either it would Struggle itself to death or I would run out of Ultras to catch it with. To my relief it was successfully caught after a while and I was overjoyed!

[IMG200]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/Baggiejim91/20130502_194943.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/Baggiejim91/20130502_200154.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/Baggiejim91/20130502_200244.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/Baggiejim91/20130502_200609.jpg[/IMG200]

Toaker

So i decided to restart my Crystal version to hunt shinies and i was wondering, can gift Pokemon be shiny? For example Bill's Eevee, that guy in Cianwoods Shuckle or the Extremespeed Dratini? Also what about Game Corner prizes?

ashiemore

So i decided to restart my Crystal version to hunt shinies and i was wondering, can gift Pokemon be shiny? For example Bill's Eevee, that guy in Cianwoods Shuckle or the Extremespeed Dratini? Also what about Game Corner prizes?

I may be mistaken on this but I believe any pokémon can be shiny. Shininess is determined by a pokémon's IVs and i think they all have random IVs, so they can be shiny.

⊙ᴗ⊙
I had a shiny Pidgey on my original Gold version. I didn't know what it was back then though, and it was some weird glitch. And since I already a had a higher level Pidgeotto on my team at the time, I just boxed the thing. I only found out what shiny pokemon were AFTER I had later deleted the save file and started over.