• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official G/S/C SHINY Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
Is there any way to see if the Pokemon is a shiny while playing G/S on a GameBoy?
In addition to what the above poster said, there should also be a marking next to the Pokemon's gender/in the top right corner on the status screen indicating that it's shiny (as seen here).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Is there any way to see if the Pokemon is a shiny while playing G/S on a GameBoy?

And in addition to that, there should be an animation which the screen turns dark and stars whirl around the Pokemon when encountered and when you send it out into battle.

Last edited:

Mike_

My first ever Shiny Pokémon was a Shiny Rapidash, which I found right by Mt. Silver.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I didn't really shiny hunt much in g/s/c but I did run into a shiny pokemon years ago when I was a kid which sadly never knew about shiny pokemon existed and thought it was a glitch so I ran away from it thinking it may do something to my game. I am pretty sure it was a vulpix if I remember correctly. I saw a sparkle and I was like o_0 but after finding out from a game guide that they were actually legit part of the game I was like NOOOO!

Bananarama

The light is coming
I've only ever gotten the shiny Gyarados in GSC, but I'm trying to change that with my next run. I plan to try to hatch a shiny from the odd egg, then I plan to breed for a shiny Magikarp from the Gyarados.

Koays

SMH Shiny Gyarados

Reset Gold Version so that I could get a whole team between the Level Cap of Pokemon Stadium 2's 50-55 Cup. Got up to the Red Gyarados part of the game and he dies to a Surf attack from a furret. I swam around and for like 2 hours because I was under the impression that you could get it to respawn. So there I am, running from Magikarp after Magikarp to the point I can time the the motions without looking, when I run into a Magikarp that takes longer for me to run from. Only my hand is repeating the motion to runaway. So there I am thinking to myself "Was that Magikarp yellow?" before moving on and not thinking about it again. Then we have a conversation at school about how to get another Red Gyarados and I am informed of the existence of Shiny Magikarp.....MY SOUL walked away and I reset my game again because Red Gyarados was that important.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Just ran into a shiny Spinarak. Nice. But I'm doing a Brown-colored run, the list being based off the color index in the dex. Spinarak isn't brown so I won't use it.

I got a shiny charmander after 3 SR.......

Uhm.. How would you do that? Softreset for a Charmander? You can't get a Charmander in GSC, unless you transfer it from RBY, in any case, you wouldn't be SR-ing for one.

So what were you doing?

Really hope 2nd gen hits the Eshop soon. The shiny hype will be REAL

That depends if they keep the Odd Egg shiny odds from the Japanese version, or the International releases. Still, what was it, 14% isn't a bad odd.. It just takes a lot of time to get that shiny Tyrogue...

I wasn't aware you could find any shiny pokemon other than the Red Gyarados in C/S/C at all. I thought it was just because a special event. It wasn't until two generations later did I find a shiny Sudowoodo.

KT32R

My first and only shiny was a poliwag I found in the lakes outside mahogany town while playing Pokemon gold last year after nearly 20 years of playing Pokemon lol.

CrimsonAce777

My brother found a shiny onix playing my gold version one day. I had just seen the episode about the crystal onix of the anime, and was freaking out that we caught it in the game. (I thought it was like a hidden easter egg, that they'd put into the games to promote the anime at the time. Keep in mind that I grew up with Gen 1. We told stories about how to get to the pink pokemon island from the anime in yellow version. Among surfing rhydon and other rumors like that. No internet meant we spent hours trying to duplicate these things even tho they were not possible. But Billy from school did it, so it must be!" Man we were dumb. Good times.) anywho.

Bragging to my friends at school the next day, my one friend (the only one of me and my friends with internet at that time.) rained on my parade so hard. "Nah man, it was just a shiny. Crystal onix isn't in the games. Still cool tho I guess." I cannot put into words how much my hype died. I think it's still dead to this day because of it. Sadly I ended up selling my gold version to my cousin not long after, and he reset it before trading onix to me.

TrainerJenny

毛皮のゴミ
My first shiny was a shiny girafarig X3 I didn't understand and ran from it....
(▰︶︹︺▰)

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys, so I have a question.. Is it possible to get shiny pokemon with an 1/8 being female? (Starters for example)

This is reffering to the shiny ditto trick, where I really want to have a shiny chikorita, but many sites say its impossible because you need 10 DV in attack.. uhm well I dont really understand it. Would love an answer on this.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Hey guys, so I have a question.. Is it possible to get shiny pokemon with an 1/8 being female? (Starters for example)

This is reffering to the shiny ditto trick, where I really want to have a shiny chikorita, but many sites say its impossible because you need 10 DV in attack.. uhm well I dont really understand it. Would love an answer on this.

According to Bulbapedia, a shiny Pokemon will have an Attack IV of 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 in Gen II (and the Defense, Speed, and Special IVs will all be 10).

Also in Gen II, a Pokemon's gender is determined by its Attack IV (0-15 in this generation) and gender ratio, with females having lower Attack IVs in species that can be either gender.
In a species with a gender ratio of 1/8 female & 7/8 male, the Pokemon will be female only if its Attack IV falls in the lowest 1/8 of the 0-15 range. So, the Pokemon's Attack IV must be 0 or 1.

Since neither 0 nor 1 are listed in the possible shiny Attack IVs above, female Pokemon from species with a 1/8 female gender ratio cannot be shiny in Gen II.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Now that I'm playing Gold version once again, I can't help but recall the time when I found my first G/S/C Shiny in the original GB Color cartridges. It was a Shiny Poppo (Pidgey), and I kept hoping that I'd find one again today as I was playing the Virtual Console's Gold version.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
According to Bulbapedia, a shiny Pokemon will have an Attack IV of 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 in Gen II (and the Defense, Speed, and Special IVs will all be 10).

Also in Gen II, a Pokemon's gender is determined by its Attack IV (0-15 in this generation) and gender ratio, with females having lower Attack IVs in species that can be either gender.
In a species with a gender ratio of 1/8 female & 7/8 male, the Pokemon will be female only if its Attack IV falls in the lowest 1/8 of the 0-15 range. So, the Pokemon's Attack IV must be 0 or 1.

Since neither 0 nor 1 are listed in the possible shiny Attack IVs above, female Pokemon from species with a 1/8 female gender ratio cannot be shiny in Gen II.

Thank you for explaining :) Yet, I do see people hatching shiny cyndaquils online so I have no clue what is going on -_-
Perhaps there is a change with the Virtual consoles?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Thank you for explaining :) Yet, I do see people hatching shiny cyndaquils online so I have no clue what is going on -_-
Perhaps there is a change with the Virtual consoles?
They would be hatching shiny male Cyndaquils.
Female Pokemon of species with a 1/8 female & 7/8 male gender ratio cannot be shiny in Gen II, but males can. Males from 1/8 female & 7/8 male species will have an Attack IV in the 2-15 range (i.e. the upper 7/8 of the 0-15 scale) and can therefore have one of the shiny Attack IV values.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
They would be hatching shiny male Cyndaquils.
Female Pokemon of species with a 1/8 female & 7/8 male gender ratio cannot be shiny in Gen II, but males can. Males from 1/8 female & 7/8 male species will have an Attack IV in the 2-15 range (i.e. the upper 7/8 of the 0-15 scale) and can therefore have one of the shiny Attack IV values.

Thanks for clearing it out Aquarelle !