• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official G/S/C SHINY Thread

Psychic

Really and truly
Because the other one was from 2004. o_O

This is the official place to chat about anything to do with Shiny Pokémon! Which ones you own, how you got them, if you've been hunting for any or are soft-resetting for them - anything you want!

To start off, I myself have caught three Shinies, each from a different game.
Totodile I got as a starter in my Silver version (at first thought it was a glitch and almost deleted it!), I found a Weepinbell while playing my cousin's SIlver, then found a Shiny Geodude in Crystal.

I had been soft-resetting for Shiny Ho-Oh in my Gold and had traded over a Shiny Ditto from R/B/Y to try to breed for a Shiny, but then my internal battery died in both games. *sigh*

And you?

~Psychic

In Gold & Silver I have found two shinies, both times before I had got my first badge.

The first that I found was a shiny Geodude in my first ever Silver file. Right after I got my five Pokeballs, I went on the first route north and found it after battling a few times. Like Psychic, I thought it was a glitch, but I still caught it. Weary of what it could do, I put it in my box and never let it see the light of day. It was still there when my internal battery died six years later.

After a couple of games in Gold, I decided to get a Onix from a guy in the Violet City and beat Falkner. When I traded with the guy, I noticed that the Onix was shiny. By then I knew what being shiny meant so I brought it up to Lv 100 and made it a Steelix.

Last edited:

Rys

Postcount melting!
i never got a shiny on my silver (although i may have and never noticed it, i was 7 or 8 at the time) but whenever i find a shiny it is either my opponent's or an extremely common pokemon, by the time i got a shiny i know what a shiny was so i didnt almost delete it. im serious about this every shiny i have ever found was so common i almost destroyed my game out of anger, here is my list of shinies that i have found and the game i found them in
Zubat: Emerald
Epseon (opponent's): Emerald
Zigzagoon: Emerald
Starly: Pearl
i also have a shiny ho-oh that i traded for

btw what does bishie mean?
Woot 20th Post

i will never forget when i dropped my gameboy and the batteries fell out right after i caught a shiny raticate :(
my first ever shiny and it was gone..
i encountered 3 random shinies in gold version.. which is quite alot because i have not encountered another random shiny on any game since..
Raticate- i wrote about that one above
Geodude- self destructed itself.. :(
Ursaring- caught it.. saved my game.. then my cousin stole it and his internal battery died on his crystal version..
so no g/s/c shinies anymore :(

Nice to see a new version of this thread. :)

Anyways, the only shiny I obtained in Gold, other than Gyarados, was a Rattata on Route 1 in Kanto. In a way, I was quite annoyed because Rattata must be one of the least precious shinies. The good thing was that the Rattata was very easy to catch. I eventually evolved it into a Raticate and bred it for ages, because at the time I thought a shiny Pokemon's offspring had a greater chance of being shiny.

This event also caused me to have deja vu when I found a shiny Rattata on Route 1 in Leaf Green.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I'm very happy to say that shiny Suicune just appeared in Crystal. And appropriately enough it was pouring with rain outside at the time. ^_^

Shiny Suicune appeared: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Heliotrope1987/Shiny Pokemon/Other/ShinySuicune.jpg

This is the first G/S/C shiny I've aquired via SR'ing, and Suicune is my favourite shiny, so I'm very pleased it decided to appear.

Now I'm going to set up my N64, transfer it over to Pokemon Stadium 2, and take some pictures of it in all its 3D glory. *_*

I plan on SR'ing for a shiny Ho-oh next.

EDIT: Shiny Suicune in Pokemon Stadium 2: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Heliotrope1987/Shiny Pokemon/3D shinies/Suicune.jpg

Last edited:

Jurpassic

The Site Jurpassic
I met a shiny Gligar once. I tried to catch it, but I ran out of balls to catch it with. Dx

I think it was in my Silver, but it might have been in Gold. :/

Hurricos

Shiny Collector
The only shiny I've ever encountered was the shiny red gyarados.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered I have encountered a shiny, Rattata, just outside Goldenrod City:)

Last edited:

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~
Congrats on the Shiny Suicune, Helio oO

@Shuckle Man: Breeding with a shiny parent in G/S/C DOES increase the chance to a massive 1/64.

RedSnorlax

Multi-generational
I remember getting a red chikorita in silver once for my starter. I also encountered a shiny growlithe once, but I couldn't get it because I ran out of pokeballs.

RedSnorlax

Multi-generational
My personal favorites

I remember getting a red chikorita in silver once for my starter. I also encountered a shiny growlithe once, but I couldn't get it because I ran out of pokeballs.

Nana

In Pokemon Crystal, I captured a shiny Noctowl when I was training for that Pokemon League. I also captured a shiny Ditto on my way to Goldenrod. Bred a shiny Eevee with it. :) Currently trying to breed a shiny Smoochum.

I got a shiny Cleffa from the Odd Egg too, if that counts. :/

unet

I have the worst luck....

3 games on my Gold cartridge, and i haven't seen one (non gyarados) shiny yet!
I'm REALLY want a shiny ponyta but I've looked around Silver cave for hours and still haven't had any luck. Any tips?

Also, i still have the Aerodactyl/Onyx/Rhydon trades left....would soft resetting actually increase my chances of getting a shiny there?

unet

Of ALL the days to get INCREDIBLY lucky, today, i got a shiny raticate, female, lvl 16 in Mount Mortar.

I was SR'ing to get a shiny Tyrogue but got bored, and as i was leaving, shwoop: Shiny Raticate!!!!!

Aptenodytes

I've had a shiny copy of every single Pokemon in Gold... but they were all hacked XD.

The only legit shiny Pokemon that I caught was the Red Gyarados. I didn't know about shinies until I completed the game, and so if I did see one, I wouldn't have known about it.

Sookie

i only ever saw one shiny...a bellsprout and I didn't know what shiny pokemon were and fainted it :'(

Tadashi

kiss my greens
I caught a shiny Pidgey one day in a teeny little patch of grass between Viridian Forest and Pewter City in my Crystal game. It was my first ever shiny, aside from the standard Gyarados. Sadly, my internal battery is now dead, so I don't have those shinies anymore :(