• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official "How would you describe this attack?" Thread

Faerie

MONS
Thank you for making this thread. We really needed this, with all those threads popping up about individual attacks. I bet this'll get stickied soon (although some threads have been getting un-stickied latley)...

Mew King

It's black magic!
Uh... The drain line can be seen as clutching onto the opponent and sucking the energy or using some other appendage to absorb the energy. That also includes Leech Life as well.

coolcobra77

Your Worst Nightmare
Agility... wow I see where you stuck.

How about the pokemon moves like a blur or fast as lightning?

Off topic:

Hi Ranger, nice thread the Cafe needed one

Well that works, I was trying to do it like in the Anime, but i want to use Agility as a stat-boosting move, not like an attack.

So far what I said was the Pokemon ran in place, pacing itself. It got faster by the second, then stopped suddenly.

~fuzzy out~

But the Drain line doesn't have the attacker coming into physical contact. Leech Life does, but Absorb and Mega/Giga Drain don't.

Agility, I think, would be described as the Pokémon closing their eyes, exhaling deeply, and then their whole body would just loosen up.

Water Pulse strikes me as being a sort of ultrasonic wave that gathers moisture from the air(in the case of a non-Water-type using it; for Water-types it would just use water similar to any other Water-type attack).

How about Signal Beam?

Pink Parka Girl

I wish I could change my username
Well, I've always written attacks in as realistic a manner as I could - and since I've not seen much of the anime (I'm more a game/manga fan), I don't have much of its influence on me ;) However, is there such a thing as getting too realistic? These are some attack descriptions I wrote, and any advise would be great :)

Frederick snatched the one pokéball he always carried with him and tossed it to the ground, barely giving the sneasel a second to get her bearings before giving her an order. “Black Ice – Attract, quick!”

Black Ice was well trained, and immediately knew what action her master was commanding her to do. Instantly she began sweating from the pads of her paws, a secretion that, unlike the sweat she would normally produce, had a very heavy amount of pheromones that could evoke sexual attraction not just with her own species, but any other species of pokémon as well. Lifting his head and sniffing, Mimey froze, immobilized by the intoxicating scent around him.

“Snee,” Black Ice chittered in reply, the fur on her back raised and the feathery pink tuft on her head standing straight up. “Quick, Black Ice, Calm Mind!”

As Black Ice tucked her muzzle between her forepaws and focused her instinct, Frederick opened the door, practically falling over as the Mr. Mime rushed forward, eager to attack. At least without a trainer, and Dark types being immune to Psychic probing, there shouldn’t be much rhyme or reason to its attacks, Frederick thought, watching as the clown-like pokémon focused the energy around it and created a Barrier. As it built up its Barrier, Frederick edged around it, glancing at his pokémon. “Black Ice, Bite!”

While sneasel do not have much strength behind their special attacks, Black Ice’s modest personality and heavy training had given her slightly more power than most. Easily bypassing the Barrier, the pokémon tensed her body and sprang, sinking her teeth into the Mr. Mime’s leg. The attack was especially powerful to a psychic like Mimey; and, with an expression of pain, recoiled back, holding its large hands over the wound and making no move to attack.

Perfect, thought Frederick. He was hoping the Bite would cause it to flinch; and, taking advantage of the opportunity, slipped out of the room with his pokémon and closed the door behind him.

Is this all right? Too realistic? Not realistic enough? :) Any advise would be appreciated ^_^

coolcobra77 said:
Hi Ranger, nice thread the Cafe needed one

Alot of people are saying that :D I hope it gets stickied

Signal Beam, in the Anime was a rainbow colored beam. I see it more as a yellow/gold beam though.
Agility I see as two ways. If being attacked, the pokemon run-jumps out of the way and run-jumps around for a bit. If attacking, the Pokemon run-jumps at the opponent but stops before making contact and thnen run-jumps back to where it started.

How about Cut? I have it as the Pokemon using its limb as a glowing blade.
And... Fury Cutter?

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
Ranger Registeel said:
How about Cut? I have it as the Pokemon using its limb as a glowing blade.
And... Fury Cutter?
The Cut you described is more of a Crush Claw. I see Cut as a normal swipe or slash with the claws without excess energy. Or it can be a flurry of slashes.

Fury Cutter is the same as Cut exept with an intensifying force and speed each strike.

scry

Aura Heroics
I was wondering about Toxic. Like, how exactly it would be performed and, how the toxin would be stored. Could a poison like that be oxygen reactive? I dunno... I have no experience with poisonous animals.

Snaggron

Comes to warn you...
I don't know if Meteor Mash has been posted yet, but I imagine it as making meteors fall from the sky, and then punching/kicking/whatevering the meteors into the opponent.

komiker

Freelance Writer
How would you describe a Pokemon using the attack 'Return'? A pokemon bouncing up and down multiple times on the opponent just does not feel right at all.

I've actually come up with a different discription from the Anime for the move Destiny Bond.

Destiny Bond: Basically, a dark aura surrounds the user. When the user is knocked out by an attack from the opponent, the aura fires at the opponent, drains their energy and knocks them out.

I've also done Substitute. With that one, a puff of smoke appears and a replica doll of the user takes its place. If the attack from the opponent is powerful enough, the doll turns to ash and the pokemon that used Substitute reappears with a few scratches and little worn out. If it's not powerful enough, the Sub user gets ghost like capabilities, becoming nearly invisible and unable to be hurt by the opponent, yet able to hurt the opponent with whatever move they please.

spareux

maldición
How would you describe a Pokemon using the attack 'Return'? A pokemon bouncing up and down multiple times on the opponent just does not feel right at all.

It really doesn't, does it? My description is based on if the Pokemon is really good friends with the trainer.

I'd describe it as... Mabye like a glow coming off of the user, it's body turning gold. Memories of it and it's trainer rushing through it's memory; the psychological scars of fierce battles raging through it's blood. The Pokemon then dashes of quick as lightning towards the foe with a scorching hot trail of light trailing from behind.
The Pokemon reaches it's foe, it delivers the final blow; a fierce punch of light that shakes the earth around the battle as a gust of wind is sent out in all directions and an intense, blinding light flashes from the centre of the battle.

I'll add a bit off my own, now. :p If I were to describe Frustration....

The Pokemon's body begins to lose it's tone and colour as it turns to a dull grey. I closes it's eyes and stares at the ground. memories of harshness and unfairness from it's trainer circle in it's mind, each memory as painful now as it was then. Tears of anger begin to accumulate in the Pokemon's eyes. It opens them to reveal the sinister glowing red ovals with a black dot in the centre.
Like a bullet, the Pokemon speeds of, a ghastly line of dark smoke trailing behind it, waving in the air. The Pokemon reaches it's foe, a dark, fire-like aura surrounding it's fist. It delivers the ultimate punch. Darkness surrounds the area like an eclipse as an intensely hot gust of wind emits from the battlefield. Suddenly, light returns. the smoke in the arena begins to clear.

Something along those lines. :/

Moonlight Locust

Wait, am I back? Wow
Meteor Mash:
"Metagross, Meteor Mash!"

The steel spider glew orange for a moment then went super fat. As it got closer it went onto two legs. Then it hit the opponent with a fist that turned into small planets.

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
scry said:
I was wondering about Toxic. Like, how exactly it would be performed and, how the toxin would be stored. Could a poison like that be oxygen reactive? I dunno... I have no experience with poisonous animals.
It actually depends on the type of Pokemon performing the attack. I usually visualize it as being injected into the enemy pokemon through a bite. There are some animals and snakes that can spit poison in a liquid form also.

Chaos Rush

Um...I don't think I'm good at this...this is my example of how I'll describe Ember:

Cyndaquil began to blow out small orange orbs from its mouth, attacking the Hoppip.

Is that good?

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
It actually depends on the type of Pokemon performing the attack. I usually visualize it as being injected into the enemy pokemon through a bite. There are some animals and snakes that can spit poison in a liquid form also.

Yeah. In the games and anime Toxic usually is protrayed by spitting the liquid.

Xumahare

What about the move Swift? How does it always hit, and where do the stars come from?