• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official "How would you describe this attack?" Thread

UltaFlame

I'm weird accept it
in the anime i have seen it done two ways in the anime
one: a 'hole' appear that looks like your peering into the galaxy and then stars come flying out of it.
or
two: the stars come flying out of the pokemons mouth.

Or possibly you could have the Pokemon use a ligament (Such as an arm) and just wave it out in front of it, somehow 'summoning' the stars.

Now here's my question: How's about Hidden Power? So far this is what I think it would be:
Seventeen small balls of energy floated mysteriously around Espeon, each of a different type and the color portraying that type. They flew around Espeon in a blur, and when they stopped, they all shone one color: red. The balls formed into one giant ball and it was shot right at Gengar, hitting it with the element of fire.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Okay, here I'm just going to show the attacks in the very first battle in my fic, Tournament Chronicles, which I think I may return to soon.

So here goes. The battle comprises of lots of attacks, so this is gonna be a big post.

Hunter - Tournament Chronicles said:
“Venonat, use Confusion on Graveller now!” shouted Rhoda. Venonat jumped into the air and concentrated its mind on Graveller. A strange blue aura surrounded Graveller, lifting it up into the air. “Now, send it flying!”

“Veeeen-Noo-Naaat!” shouted Venonat as it flung its head to the side, sending Graveller in the same direction. Graveller hit a rock in the middle of the field, grabbing onto it to stabilise itself.

“Venonat, Disable!” shouted Rhoda. Venonat stared at the spinning Graveller, until it stopped, not able to move.

“Good Venonat, now blast it with a Psychic!” When she shouted this, Venonat crawled into itself, tucking its hands and feet in to make a ball.

“Veeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn,” it droned, building power inside itself. When it had built up enough energy, it looked sternly at the floating Graveller. When it looked at Graveller, a huge explosion of purple light appeared in front of the heavy Pokémon, shooting it back. It hit rocks as it went, only to break straight through them and continue flying, finally hitting the wall behind its trainer, knocked out.

“Venonat, we can get through this,” Rhoda told her bug type Pokémon, “Now, use your Sleep Powder!” Venonat jumped into the air, gaining as much height as possible, then began to shake vigorously. As it was shaking, a large amount of what seemed to be pollen came through the fur on its body. The pollen was falling towards Rapidash.

Now Venonat, use Psybeam!” After its eyes had focused using its Compound Eyes ability, Venonat jumped into the air and shot a rainbow coloured beam from its eyes, shooting over towards Rapidash.

“If you’re going to go down, Venomoth,” mumbled Rhoda, “You’re going to go down with a bang! Use Silver Wind!” she shouted. Venomoth’s wings began to glow a silvery white. Beating them at great speed, it shot a large whirlwind made of silver sparkles to Rapidash. It scored a direct hit to the fire-type’s back. Rapidash flinched at the power of the attack.

They are basically all the moves (minus the display of Compound Eyes) that Venonat/Venomoth used in its battle against Graveller and Rapidash.

The other Pokémon's attacks, I shall post another time. That battle was a three on three, with Ditto and Graveller being the only Pokémon getting small amounts of attacks. Although, Rapidash's were used a lot by Ditto, so they do count. Anyway, there were loads of attacks used in that battle. So, yeah, I will describe them sometime.

Hunter

Metallic Spark

2 hawt 2 b stalked
Wow..Thanks alot for making this thread^^

I know heal bell should be really easy to describe, but I still don't know how to it...:p i don't want to use the chimes soothingly description on the attackdex...something else...like some synonyms maybe :p Any help?

Last edited:

Aipika

Purity is knowledge
I guess heal bell could be used by using a bell and the user would sway gently and the bell would make melodious tunes that soothe the soul and heals. But in some cases where the user won't have a bell, I guess they could substitute it with something. I don't know what though.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Shock Wave, Water Pulse, Will-o-Wisp, Hidden Power, Secret Power, Nature Power

Righto, onto my descriptions of the attacks stated in the title.

Shock Wave, Water Pulse, Will-O-Wisp:

Basically, I view these three attacks as the same. Three elemental orbs of energy that have a chance of giving a status fault to the opponent. Water Pulse is a blue orb that disperses into water on contact, which has a chance of confusing the opponent. Shock wave, a yellow orb which, on contact, disperses into electricity that can paralyse the opponent. Similarly, Will-O-Wisp is a ghostly blue enegrgy orb, that disperses into equally ghostly blue flames on contact, that can burn the opponent.

Hidden Power, Secret Power, Nature Power:

Hidden Power for starters. I describe it as 17 pure white orbs, which spin around the user several times, before turning into a specific colour and smashing into the opponent. Obviously, each type has its own colour.
Secret Power, I view as just a beam of pure white light, such as displated in the Animé.
Nature Power is the same as Secret Power, except the beam picks up a colour of the type that displays the surroundings more than other types. Then as the beam fires, it carries traces of the surroundings with it. Leaves and twigs, for example.

Hunter

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
I visualize Nature Power as it is in the games. The attack takes the form of a regular attack depending on the enviroment, such as Nature Power becoming Razor Leaf in an area with tall grass and it being Shadow Ball in a dark cave.

Your depiction of Water Pulse was excellent btw.

Aipika

Purity is knowledge
The attacks that I find the hardest to describe are Dark type attacks. Like memento or torment. There's also some trouble trying to describe crunch without making it sound like bite.

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
The attacks that I find the hardest to describe are Dark type attacks. Like memento or torment. There's also some trouble trying to describe crunch without making it sound like bite.

What's wrong with making crunch sound like bite? Crunch is pretty much biting with a lot more power. You can only describe as what it is, and it is a bite.

nashie1

I always imagined swift to be the pokemon throwing shruiken stars at the opponent that have some sort of heat seeking effect.

Metallic Spark

2 hawt 2 b stalked
There are some attacks that have been in the anime, but that I have missed.. like

Faint Attack

Aerial Ace

Double team

I've missed/ forgot aerial ace.
I think I remember faint attack as simply pretending to faint and later attack, but on the pokedex it says no physical contact..?
I am sure that I remember double team (duh) but I dunno much about the copies. Can they move? What if they get hit by something? will they dissappear in a poof or will the attack just fly right through them?

I need some help on these...thanks^^

with Double Team it has the Pokemon make copies of itself, then if a fake is hit, the attack goes right through it and you can see a sort of "slash" mark through it, then the copy fades away. Never seen the others used in Anime.

~fuzzy out~

Arcanine Royale

Aerial Ace, Faint Attack, and Double Team.

There are some attacks that have been in the anime, but that I have missed.. like

Faint Attack

Aerial Ace

Double team

I've missed/ forgot aerial ace.
I think I remember faint attack as simply pretending to faint and later attack, but on the pokedex it says no physical contact..?
I am sure that I remember double team (duh) but I dunno much about the copies. Can they move? What if they get hit by something? will they dissappear in a poof or will the attack just fly right through them?

I need some help on these...thanks^^

Aerial Ace and Faint Attack are sort of the same. Aerial Ace is when a bird dives and momentarily dissapears and reappears and attacks. Faint Attack is mostly the same, just not in the air.

Double Team is a pokemon making multiple copies of itself and they spin in a circle. If something hits them, they dissapear. So basically it works to just get a nice Flamethrower or Hydro Pump going and knock out all the copies as they spin around.

Aipika

Purity is knowledge
I don't know about faint attack but I've seen Aerial Ace in anime. Basically, the user flies up in the sky and accelerates until its so fast, the user disappears then, when it strikes, the user will reappear. Faint attack I'm not so sure but I think the user disappears and a series of attacks happen. I think I've seen it once in anime though.

I have to disagree with your Aerial Ace portrayance (Is that a word?), Arcanine Royale. What about those Pokemon who know AA and don't fly? Such as Zangoose, Armaldo, Slaking, Metagross, etc. I can see Metagross doing that, but not Slaking *chuckles at thought of that* And i'll just say not to use it the way Collo./XD or the other games portrays it, no...just no.

~fuzzy out~

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
For groundbound(all these fakewords lately) Pokemon using AA, I could see them running very fast in one direction, then sorta back-flipping into the air, and finally going into a Quick attack upon landing.

Faint Attack is a very versatile move open to a lot of interpretation. In boxing, it can look like you're trowing a punch with one hand, but then trowing it with the other. Or fake like you're going one direction, then striking the opponent from the other.

Harley in the anime made Cacturne sneak up on May's Bulbasaur when she was distracted.

StrayedBullet

OMFG................
Faint Attack can also be like disappearing into a black hole, a rip in time, and reappearing seconds later after having traversed through another world, slamming into the opponent.

-SB ;001;

Ok, I have a question. Surf, how would it work Inside. Outside, I can see it pulling moisture from the air or from a near by water source, but inside theres nothing like that? I have it working like Water Gun, only a much bigger water source within the pokemon in question (Dragonite and Marshtomp)

I have Surf somewhat like this:

'A puddle of water that surrounded the whole arena appeared suddenly, not very deep though. ________ somehow made the puddle grow and sent it out at _______, using a Surf attack.'

or something along those lines.

~fuzzy out~