• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official "If Pokemon Were Real..." thread

Skygge

The most negative view would obviously involve wars and destruction and people using pokémon doing bad things, but then again, you'd probably have your own pokémon to defend yourself.

On the bright side, water crises would be solved, as would the high prices for healthcare. Besides, perhaps there would be a little more peace, considering that attacking someone might give you a Slash in the face. As for trainers, I don't know if the world would have evolved that way, though there would probably still be battles all around.

_Kiwi_

praise the grapes
I'm super interested in how it'd affect our day-to-day life. Like, assuming Pokemon have been around as long as, if not longer than humans, then would we have developed our technology to the degree that we have? Pokemon could do a whole lot of what we rely on technology for -- take transport, for example. Why would you need planes or cars if you could just hitch a ride with a tame Pokemon? There'd be Pokemon transport services instead of taxi services. Our society would have developed in a drastically different manner if Pokemon were real.

Of course, there is the darker side of things... because like animals, Pokemon are first and foremost wild creatures. What happens if you have wild Poochyena or Mightyena roaming around your city? What if you live coastal, and a wild Gyarados goes on a rampage? What about the little kids who go exploring and get mauled -- or worse -- by a wild Pokemon?

And what about catching them? In the games, Pokeballs are readily available. What regulations would be in place to stop any kid off the street buying some and capturing a bunch of Pidgey and Rattata in their backyard?

This topic just has so many facets to it, positive and negative alike, and I think it's absolutely fascinating!

If you were fighting someone else's Pokemon and you accidentally killed it (Let's be honest, there are a ton of pokemon moves that could kill things) would you be sent to prison?

Rhyperior used earthquake! You caused over $1,000,000,000 of property damage and killed 2000 people!

I guess there might have to cities in the sky in that case...

With the right Pokémon you could travel farther in space than we've ever done. I'd like to do that.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I think it'd almost be mandatory that you have a pokemon if you want to leave the safety of towns or cities. Also for earthquake and what not, I don't think many wild pokemon would know earthquake that don't learn it naturally, and then since people would be used to pokemon always being there, we'd probably build cities farther away from pokemon who can use those kinds of moves. Also I am sure people would have better buildings (if pokemon were real I think our technology would be drastically increased) and we would be able to figure something out. I think most trained pokemon would be stronger and have way larger movesets than wild pokemon.

I don't think you'd leave on an adventure on your own until you're like 14 or 15, maybe even 16. It seems way to dangerous at a younger age, maybe if you are in a group itd be okay when youre young.

I think pokemon trading would be illegal unless at official trading events, as it is like illegal animal trades and could disrupt habitats if Pokemon got loose in each others areas, so most people would have pokemon that are found in there areas I would think, unless avid traveler.

I could see Pokemon having some sort of attribute in their bodies that allows them to take a lot of damage and go unconscious before death falls on them, which would explain why they faint all the time. You would never keep going after a Pokemon faints, and Pokemon can always recover from their fainted status as long as the initial attack wasn't too deadly, or they are allowed rest and no further damage.

I love this stuff. Also each region/province/state would have leagues and there would be national leagues as well as type championships all over I would think. I wish Pokemon were real.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Enviromentalists would go to legendaries like Rayquaza to help out. This has both its benefits(they'd be more efficent at it than humans) and downsides(the plot of Hoenn, anyone?)

1:16

I'm a Christian
What are the consequences of Pokemon appearing in the real world?

A few years ago, I made two threads that are related to the topic. Now, I thought about an in-depth analysis or such as a response to the thread's title. I just want to warn that this is going to be one long read:

So, let's assume that Pokemon just appear from an unidentifiable source. No researchers creating Pokemon from genes. Pokemon just appear in the world.

Now, within the first day, someone's going to video a real Pokemon going about with their phone and that video would become viral on social media networks. This can cause joy among the Pokemon fans and others at first (real Pokemon being a dream come true). However, a look at the things that Pokemon can do (just looking at Charizard and its moves will do) will cause panic in a lot of people.

Governments would, of course, want to keep the order. The governments need to act as soon as possible: at least make an announcement on the nation's official stance on Pokemon. Pokemon just appearing out of nowhere should be a priority in the government's list of things to tackle.

Law enforcement would be involved almost immediately. Some Pokemon would be unruly so the police force will react for the safety of the people. However, how can the police respond to Pokemon? They're not trained to fight dragons and psychic creatures, among others.

In many areas of the world, there would be chaos: people who do not know how to properly interact with certain Pokemon, Pokemon misinterpreting the nearby humans, and so on. Urban areas would face building damage and infrastructural damages (like breaking a railway system). Electric-type Pokemon? They can cause blackouts even accidentally. Rural areas aren't safe either. Fire-types can cause unnecessary fires, crops can be ruined by mischievous Pokemon. When Pokemon know how to cause a flood, a firestorm, an electrical outrage, and even illnesses (Poison-type Pokemon), then the order of human society would go down for the first few days.

Sooner or later, the government would make its stance on the issue of Pokemon. Some would adopt a benevolent attitude and treat Pokemon as another kind of animal. Others would outright cage them and treat them as dangerous. Still, others would cage the Pokemon at first and then, after a short time of education about Pokemon and conditioning the public to be wise in their interactions with Pokemon, then they would allow the public to have Pokemon as we would have pets.

This won't be without its costs. Funds have to go to taking care of the Pokemon. Now, there's one more area of a nation to take care of. Also, any important bills and public projects going on might be halted or impeded by the early focus on Pokemon.

Nintendo and other companies related to Pokemon would become the most powerful video game companies in the world (at least for a few months to a few years). Company staff would be consulted on the concept of Pokemon and how to deal with them. However, they only know as much as they know about Pokemon. Subjects such as Pokemon biology and when many Pokemon will evolve are out of their range because as much as they designed and developed the games and the anime, they didn't go to details such as "How many stomachs does a Pikachu have?"

Due to the focus of Pokemon, international diplomacy would mostly be put on hold as the countries everywhere try to deal with the internal problems that Pokemon cause. At best, foreign aid can be asked to help get the country running through the Pokemon crisis. Some wars would be informally put on hold since both parties have to deal with the Pokemon within their borders. However, this can also cause a nation to lose a war: if the chaos caused by the Pokemon is chaotic enough, the aggressor can try an attack at the nation, further destabilizing the nation.

Pokemon can be treated as good pets. The public is advised that they should treat their Pokemon so. However, criminals can use Pokemon for crime. Suddenly, robbing a fast food chain just got more scary. Instead of inanimate guns, living Pokemon are the weapons. And who's to say that there wouldn't be Pokemon abuse? Criminals can condition their Pokemon to carry out their crimes and to treat the police as the enemy. If there are debates about gun control, then what about "Pokemon control"?

This leads us to how Pokemon would be classified under law and under ethics. How would the law treat them? If there's a legal definition for animals, how about a legal definition for Pokemon? Are they under the same area as animals, legally speaking? Or, are they more than animals, in that they show more sentience than normal animals and can have "secondary" desires (basically, any desire other than to survive and to be the best)? Would judges judge Pokemon on the same level as animals or would they be elevated beyond that?

Ethically speaking, can Pokemon be killed for food? Should we treat Pokemon the same way we treat animals or are they more than just other animals? With Pokemon being more sentient and "more human" than our animals, they may be considered sapient. We might have situations where hunters can shoot deer but not Stantler. This is a fertile ground for debate and discussion. On one hand, you have organizations such as PETA who would defend all animals and now all Pokemon, too. On the other hand, you have pragmatic people who would treat their pets as their pets, others' pets as others' pets, and other animals as just other animals so they can kill them for food, use them to help out in the farm work, et c.

Speaking of ethics, what about the religions of the world? Sooner or later, religions would have to accept the existence of Pokemon. Then, what would they do to the Pokemon? Some would just leave it that, others would provide clarifications on treatment of Pokemon from the sacred texts' stand on the treatment of various animals. Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox may just leave it at that, treating Pokemon as more than animals. We reformed Christians would be wondering early on how to deal with this now that we have confirmation that psychic communication and Ghost-type Pokemon is now here, among other things. Some Buddhists may enlist the aid of certain Pokemon to help them reach Nirvana. Hindus would treat Pokemon in a higher incarnation level than that of normal animals and the idea being able to talk to a reincarnated cousin through a Psychic-type Pokemon would be a nice idea to Hindus.

What about research on and science from Pokemon? I guess we can treat many Pokemon the same way we treat animals, but it can only go so far. Scientists might unlock the "secrets" of telepathy by studying Psychic-type Pokemon. However, they may have a hard time researching Ghost-type Pokemon (or not). We can make new products based on research from Pokemon.

What about the economy? I don't know very much about economics, but I know that economy would suffer at least a minor blow due to early destruction caused by Pokemon.

Now that we've seen possible initial reactions, let's fast forward past the early turmoil and go on to other subjects.

First of all, culture. After some time, the culture of a country will adapt to the Pokemon. Pokemon would be incorporated in the culture of the countries. Traditions will grow around these Pokemon especially powerful/fearful ones. Other traditions that we have with dogs, cats and other such animals may be accommodated to fit dog-like Pokemon, cat-like Pokemon, and the like. Then, what about books about Pokemon? Not just "How to Take Care of Your Rattata in Three Easy Steps!" There would be novels that have a Pokemon as the focus of the book. Maybe a bestseller would be one of these. Then, TV shows and movies; we might see something like "The Dog Whisperer" and "The Animal Channel" applied to Pokemon. Radio? Songs about Pokemon? I don't hear many songs about animals but I don't know about you.

Next, economy again. Countries can benefit from Pokemon businesses such as Pokemon grooming and Pokemon veterinarians. Pokemon products like Pokemon food (even the Pokemon themselves) can help the economy as long as people want it.

Pokemon can be used to further the interests of the country. Police? Employ some agile Pokemon to catch speeders, and employ a few Psychic-type Pokemon to help interrogate criminals. Fire department? Bring out Water-type Pokemon along with the firemen. Food and agriculture? Let the Grass-type Pokemon help you out with that. Energy? Electric-type Pokemon (as long as they're trained). Guarding important people? What's cooler than the President being guarded by Psychic-type Pokemon who can scan the minds of people and root out the would-be assassin?

>Soon, humans will learn to live with Pokemon.

Well, what about Pokemon training? It would be cool to send ten-year-old kids out to catch and train Pokemon, beat gym leaders, and have a chance to compete in the Pokemon League Championships.

For starters, sending ten-year-old kids to cross-country trips on their own to be a Pokemon trainer is a sign of negligent parenting. What if some rowdy Pokemon hurts your child? What if some shady organization like Team Rocket kidnaps your child and/or your child's Pokemon? At best, parents should be watching their children from a good distance.

Gym leaders would be OK. Pokemon League Championships would be OK, too.

However, you'll still have to go through the challenges of catching and training Pokemon. And how do you catch Pokemon to begin with? Nets, cages, and other traps may do, but we'll have to become more scientifically advanced to have Poke balls. Also, we do not have Pokemon apricorns, so even Poke balls made out of apricorns are out of the picture unless it's some very small Pokemon.

(Also, before you catch and train Pokemon, be sure to sign some papers (or have your parents sign them) so that the authorities will be assured that you're registered Pokemon trainers. We don't want illegal trainers running around, right?)

If we're not careful, we might be catching way too many Pokemon that some species of Pokemon might be endangered or even extinct. Some groups will protest against that and for the preservation of the species.

And the gyms above? Make sure they're not illegal gyms, too. Also, no illegal leagues.

Back to the positive side of things, having your children (and yourself) participate in Pokemon training is a good thing. You spend time outdoors, you spend less electricity in using electronics, you get to bond with your Pokemon and your family and friends. As long as nothing too bad happens, it will be a fun adventure. As long as you can control your Pokemon, that is.

>Oh, there's also Pokemon contests. I see nothing wrong with that.

The world will be more dangerous with Pokemon, though. Instead of bears, you have Charmander, Pikachu, Drifloon, Geodude, et c.

I almost forgot the legendaries. :)

Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres? If they get into a fight, we're going to have a problem.

Lugia? A flap of its wings can cause a 40-day storm.

Groudon and Kyogre? Get them into a fight with each other and we might face the end of the world unless Rayquaza.

Mesprit can remove the feelings of someone, Uxie can remove the memories of someone, and Azelf can essentially paralyze someone.

Dialga and Palkia can control time and space. And then, there's Giratina.

Zekrom and Reshiram can burn down a region.

Releasing Yveltal can cause destruction in its wake.

And what about Arceus? If the myths about Arceus were true in the Pokemon world, that implies a lot of strength in this Pokemon.

Surely, angering them is asking for a beating. Although, they can be good representatives and diplomats of Pokemon.

(Proper information is from http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/.)

Discuss about it and add in your insights. :)

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
And then there's the fact that kids could make a living by getting extremely good at beating up other pokemon with their own. Man, am I looking forward to this. I no longer need to worry about getting a job, I'll just train pokemon!
People can get money for pretending to wrestle. It's not that diffferent.

Anyway, people would have to be more careful! Pokemon battles might not happen in the wild, as it can be unsafe there. There would be more buildings where people do it instead.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Imagine the wars.

The Geneva Conventions would have to deem pokemon warfare illegal. I mean, a Gyarados alone can destroy a large city, and we all know how common Magikarp are. Military forces around the world would be breeding Magikarp for war.

Last edited:

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
*think's me and korrina should get married if pokemon was real*
Yep. xD Thats the one thing i thought of.

Well that and i'd get to own a lot more pets^^ I only have one dog...yep.....and i love animals so having just one pet can get rather annoying for me!!! lol...(and its sad to me i don't get to rescue needy animals too :()

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
When I was a kid I always planned out what it would be like if Pokémon were real.I imagined my Pokémon walking besides me all the time and pretended to battle my friends

Ditto B1tch

If Pokemon were real, nobody would use them to fight. That's would be illegal, just like putting animals to fight agaisnt each other.
It's the right thing to do, but it is sad in the meantime because watching their awesome moves is the main reason to wish they were real.

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
If Pokémon were real, I would have them assist me with various chores around the house.

Like, for instance, I would have Blastoise power wash the side of the house when it came time for that. Charmander or another fire type could assist with starting the fireplace during the cold winter. A fire type could also help light a candle, though it would have to be a small fire type Pokémon. Razor leaf from a grass type like Bulbasaur would be helpful in clearing out weeds when it came time to plant new vegetables in the garden, also Bulbasaur's vines (or any other grass type that could do so), would be helpful in reaching for something that is just out of my reach. Of course I could always grab the step ladder, but that's no fun!

Lastly, I would have a pet Meowth which would probably just be like having a regular cat.