• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The official (intelligent) rap/ hip hop discussion thread

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
All about perception

It does ruin its image. I know for people like me rap seems to be all nonsensical mouthspouting about cars, drugs, money, hoes, and being gangsta. That is the only rap I ever heard on TV, the radio, and from my friends. So I assumed that all rap was like that. I still hate that stuff (Lil Wayne, Drake, etc.) That type of rap is so popular that I had to find other rap by myself.
Ah but isn't that a problem on your part rather than the artist themselves? You've chosen to assume that all rap is like that on the basis of what you've seen on TV, it's sort of similar to a foreign person calling you an idiot and then you assuming that all foreigners are like that. I'm not saying that you are right or wrong for doing that but I personally don't think that they are ruining any image because they can portray themselves how they want to do so, people just choose to think that one or two are somehow representative of the genre as a whole. This isn't only in just hip-hop/rap but in other genres as well and even other mediums.

I believe that it's really rather your own perception on things rather than it being the fault of the whatever the song, film, show etc is.

mielad2

Ohnoez!! OMG HELP!!!
Seeing as I don't listen much Rap, I cannot give much of my view on that, however... I do listen to Hip-Hop, things like Lady Gaga (She's amazing) and Akon, Taio Cruz and the list goes on.

I love lady Gaga because she's original. Most of her songs have a meaning instead of going on about nonsense she doesn't know about (Like Justin Biebers ''Baby'' <-- Terrible)

She sings in such a way, I just like the song. Dance in the Dark, Alejandro, Bad Romance, Lovegame.. I gotta love them all. They differ from most song imho. Although, I have different tastes.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
It does ruin its image. I know for people like me rap seems to be all nonsensical mouthspouting about cars, drugs, money, hoes, and being gangsta. That is the only rap I ever heard on TV, the radio, and from my friends. So I assumed that all rap was like that. I still hate that stuff (Lil Wayne, Drake, etc.) That type of rap is so popular that I had to find other rap by myself.
Who the hell cares about lyrical content? People who criticize rap for talking about rap being about/ruined by "cars, drugs, money and joes" are ignorant hypocrites. How many rock or pop or metal or country songs talk about drugs? Or sex? Or egotism? How many of them feature lyrics that basically whine and complain or gloat about their love life? How many talk in a juevenile way about the establishment? Their trucks and dogs?

Rap that talks about "other things" that supposedly matter -- because rap has to be DEEP like all other genres that talk about DEEP subjects like I mention above -- is mostly pretentious nonsense that's so damn contrived that it misses the point of rap. Other genres of music don't need to have socially conscious lyrics to be great, nor do they have to be morally correct to do so; it's hypocritical to say otherwise for rap.

Seeing as I don't listen much Rap, I cannot give much of my view on that, however... I do listen to Hip-Hop, things like Lady Gaga (She's amazing) and Akon, Taio Cruz and the list goes on.
Hip hop and rap are the same.

Akon is the only one on that list related to hip hop.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
I do listen to Hip-Hop, things like Lady Gaga

I never thought I'd hear or see that sentence during my lifetime.

Seeing as I don't listen much Rap, I cannot give much of my view on that

Since Hip Hop is a genre of music that involves rapping, if you've heard Hip Hop then you've heard Rap. They are one and the same in many aspects. Hip Hop is more of the genre, and the culture of the music, rapping is the lyrical technique.

Sk@rmory288

Put User Title Here
Ah, I remember the last Rap thread. Usually I hear "Can't spell crap with rap" or "All they talk about is booty, money, and drugs", but I haven't seen much of that. Which is good.

Anyways rap is my favorite genre. I don't really have good taste, compared to you guys, but Curren$y is my current favorite rapper, and all of his albums and mixtapes are in my iTunes. Can't wait for Pilot Talk.

The Divine Emissary

Hell Has Frozen Over
I cannot wait for Drake's Thank Me Later to be released. I, myself, am a major fan of him, ever since his Degrassi days, as well as his worth demonstrated more-than-well on his mixtapes, particularly the critically and socially acclaimed So Far Gone, which I like to call a concept album. I know a lot of people are unsure of whether to label it as such, but I believe that it does, especially if you hear it from the first track to the last track.

Am I the only one here who is a fan of Drake, or are there others? And, for the general public, what are your thoughts on him as a hip hop artist?

childxofxthexgrave

Master of Reality
I actually hated rap until about two years ago, and then I heard Anthrax's remix of Bring the Noise, I loved it so much that I promptly looked for the original by Public Enemy, and then proceeded to download "It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back". I fell in love with it.

Since that fateful moment my rap collection has been growing.

Wu Tang Clan
Dead Prez
Jay-Z
Eminem
Tupac
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
Lupe Fiasco
De La Soul
A Tribe Called Quest
People Under the Stairs
Little Brother
The Roots
Arrested Development
Poor Righteous Teachers
Beastie Boys

Last edited:

FusionSonicX

It's Lil' Kim, ho!
I cannot wait for Drake's Thank Me Later to be released. I, myself, am a major fan of him, ever since his Degrassi days, as well as his worth demonstrated more-than-well on his mixtapes, particularly the critically and socially acclaimed So Far Gone, which I like to call a concept album. I know a lot of people are unsure of whether to label it as such, but I believe that it does, especially if you hear it from the first track to the last track.

Am I the only one here who is a fan of Drake, or are there others? And, for the general public, what are your thoughts on him as a hip hop artist?

I want to be a fan, but he's a bit too hit and miss for me. I enjoy songs like Best I Ever Had, Houstatlantavegas and Find Your Love. Don't care for songs like Successful or Over, though...or anything with his Young Money (shudders at the thought of having to listen to this Nicki Minaj person for an extended period of time) associates.

But, I am interested in hearing the album.

Anyway, I'm mostly mainstream, I guess. Kanye, Jay-Z and T.I. are the only Hip Hop albums I faithfully buy to be honest. Was never into Tupac or Biggie. I'm quite the fan of Lil' Kim's early work though. More of a greatest hits, if you will, fan of Nas. I like Eminem, here and there, also.

Yeah...that's about it. :\ More of an R&B fan myself actually. Which, as of lately, could be considered a form of Hip Hop I guess.

Also, at the risk of being killed, I like these "ring tone rap" kids for what they're worth. Fun, not to be taken seriously.

Meh lol.

The Divine Emissary

Hell Has Frozen Over
I want to be a fan, but he's a bit too hit and miss for me. I enjoy songs like Best I Ever Had, Houstatlantavegas and Find Your Love. Don't care for songs like Successful or Over, though...or anything with his Young Money (shudders at the thought of having to listen to this Nicki Minaj person for an extended period of time) associates.

But, I am interested in hearing the album.

Anyway, I'm mostly mainstream, I guess. Kanye, Jay-Z and T.I. are the only Hip Hop albums I faithfully buy to be honest. Was never into Tupac or Biggie. I'm quite the fan of Lil' Kim's early work though. More of a greatest hits, if you will, fan of Nas. I like Eminem, here and there, also.

Yeah...that's about it. :\ More of an R&B fan myself actually. Which, as of lately, could be considered a form of Hip Hop I guess.

Also, at the risk of being killed, I like these "ring tone rap" kids for what they're worth. Fun, not to be taken seriously.

Meh lol.

I do like your taste. I'm mainstream myself, but I'm not a fan of everyone you mentioned after Kanye, Jay-Z, and T.I. and before Eminem. Strangely, I wasn't into Tupac, but I do like Biggie's songs. They're club classics and I do actually enjoy them (Hm, I guess I am a fan, then). I do like R&B, too.

And tell me what you think of Thank Me Later when it comes out. Because I'm a huge fan, I'll be getting it day of. Why aren't you a fan of his more recent songs? Then again, you do like "Find Your Love," which I think is simple, yet extremely effective.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Not to diss a genre in a protected Rap thread or anything but I just can't get into Rock as hard as I try. I like some Rock songs (although it's usually because it's catchy), but I just can't relate to its lyrics. Rap to me feels more like it's talking about reality while Rock just seems like something only middle classed to upper classed talk about.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
Rap to me feels more like it's talking about reality while Rock just seems like something only middle classed to upper classed talk about.
'Cause upper and middle class people aren't real :p

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
They ain't real enough for me homie.

Isy

Not to diss a genre in a protected Rap thread or anything but I just can't get into Rock as hard as I try. I like some Rock songs (although it's usually because it's catchy), but I just can't relate to its lyrics. Rap to me feels more like it's talking about reality while Rock just seems like something only middle classed to upper classed talk about.

As much as I respect this, I think you look at music differently. Don't get me wrong, I love relating to music, but I also love appreciating music. As someone who has taken lessons and understood how much creativity it takes, I can really appreciate a creative song.

That being said, I have no idea where you get the 'middle-top' class idea from. You think Jimi Hendrix was mid-top class?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
After re-reading it, I probably just generalized the mainstream looking like a fool since that's what a lot of people do the rap as well.

And who said I didn't respect it? I respect all music; although there's a difference in enjoyment out of listening to it.

From the rock songs I've heard at least, I feel like a lot of the concepts are vague and that they're beating around the bush a lot; some of the topics just don't appeal to me for too long. I prefer a straightforward message about something I have experienced or could very well come close to experiencing. I'm just not that interested in hearing abstract things.

Of course, not all of it is like this and I've heard some interesting Rock songs that I've enjoyed myself. I'm not saying this is a reason not to listen to Rock, or not to keep searching in Rock, but is just a reason why my preference level leans to Hip-Hop over any other.

That being said, I have no idea where you get the 'middle-top' class idea from.
It's basically my way of saying that I can't find much about experiences and people that I see.

Last edited:
My girlfriend's introduced me to Haiku D'etat, and I'm very impressed. If you like good rap, I recommend them. And yes, I've always hated people like 50 Cent and Eminem. I've only recently gotten into this genre, though, so call me a noob.

Lol at people "intelligently" discussing rap. Seriously, how the hell is that even possible?

Because there's a difference between mainstream crap that you hear on the radio and real rap/hip hop. It's known as underground rap. They're worlds apart, literally. Do some research, because you're certainly not making yourself any more "intelligent".

It's the same with every genre of music.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Again, it's all subjective

If you like good rap
No such thing as good rap, only what you like and what you don't like. Mainstream rap isn't any better or worse than underground rap, merely just mainstream which I guess while you might not like it, others do. Everyone has different tastes.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Lol at people "intelligently" discussing rap. Seriously, how the hell is that even possible?
Easy. It's called not being ignorant.

And yes, I've always hated people like 50 Cent and Eminem.
I can understand 50 but what's wrong with Em?