• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The official (intelligent) rap/ hip hop discussion thread

natie

Mr. F
Lol at people "intelligently" discussing rap. Seriously, how the hell is that even possible?
Not all rap is like "yo, I'm a mo-fo, and you're a mo-fo too" with a beat, you know...

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Let's wait until they come here to act like nice and understanding.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
I'm sure someone out there somewhere prefers the second to the first
Of course, but that's got nothing to do with the quality of the two songs :)

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Good music

Perhaps but I only say this because what one person is going to perceive as quality is going to be different to another person's viewpoint. I don't believe either there is such a thing as good music as that's a matter of perspective. It might not be apparent in the example you provided but I was thinking more among the lines of mainstream and underground if that makes sense.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Never really heard of Rawcotiks until recently, but this is a tune and a half.

I reckon one of the best aspects of the whole underground scene is that there'll always be excellent artists you've never heard of, and part of the fun is tracking all of them down. Dr. Oop, for example, who I only discovered last December. When they don't have Wikipedia entries you know just how hardcore underground you're dealing with.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Whats the best album to start with for A Tribe Called Quest?
The Low End Theory.

Haven't really listened to Midnight Marauders that much. Beats, Rhymes and Life is great.

You should check out Organized Konfusion.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
You mentioned them before when I was going through a mini hip hop phase, but I never quite got round to trying them. Ill give them a listen, which of theirs would be a good starting point?
Well, Organized Konfusion only have three albums, so there's not too much to choose from... I'm recommending them to you because they're "jazz rap" like A Tribe Called Quest, though aesthetic similarities after that are few.

Their self-titled debut is a great record, and an easy gateway. Their follow-up, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, is one of the all-time classics, even if it's not mentioned with the same frequency as some others. It's also my favorite hip hop album behind UGK's Ridin' Dirty. Their last album, The Equinox, is an interesting failure of an experiment -- it's basically OK's attempt at a concept album. The album is too bloated, but it has some amazing songs on it, with Invetro being one of their best.

They split after that. I haven't followed Prince Po's career at all -- seems to be not as successful -- but Pharoahe Monch is still one of the best rappers of all-time. Like most musicians, rappers tend to fall off as they age, but Monch is one of the exceptions: he's released two excellent albums, Internal Affairs (currently out of print) and Desire. He has a third one coming out this year, and I'm betting on it being a likely album of the year candidate.

catzeye

Writer's Block
So, fans, in general, what's more important... the lyrics or the beat? Is it equal? How complex do hip-hop beats get sometimes?

For me it depends. I have the likes of Travis Porter, Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy on my Ipod. They are TERRIBLE lyricists in my opinion but their beats are some of the best I've heard.

On the other hand I have Lupe Fiasco, Run DMC and Jay-z on my Ipod as well. I find their beats passable but I love their lyrics. I find them brilliant.

Then I have T.I, Lil Wayne, and Drake. I find their beats and lyrics to be great most of the time.

The point I'm trying to make is: There are some songs listen to for the beat ("All the way Turnt Up), some I listen to for the lyrics ("99 problems") and some I listen for both ("Dead and Gone")

Well where I am everybody is into Young Money, Jeezy, T-Pain, Waka Flocka and the like. I'm not going to lie I have a couple of songs from T-pain(like "Freeze" and "Buy you a Drank"). But I seriously get sick of listening to my friends imitating them. They personify the stereotypes of rap music. Not saying all of their music is bad but all the songs I hear from them make me want to rip my ears off.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Well, Organized Konfusion only have three albums, so there's not too much to choose from... I'm recommending them to you because they're "jazz rap" like A Tribe Called Quest, though aesthetic similarities after that are few.

Their self-titled debut is a great record, and an easy gateway. Their follow-up, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, is one of the all-time classics, even if it's not mentioned with the same frequency as some others. It's also my favorite hip hop album behind UGK's Ridin' Dirty. Their last album, The Equinox, is an interesting failure of an experiment -- it's basically OK's attempt at a concept album. The album is too bloated, but it has some amazing songs on it, with Invetro being one of their best.

They split after that. I haven't followed Prince Po's career at all -- seems to be not as successful -- but Pharoahe Monch is still one of the best rappers of all-time. Like most musicians, rappers tend to fall off as they age, but Monch is one of the exceptions: he's released two excellent albums, Internal Affairs (currently out of print) and Desire. He has a third one coming out this year, and I'm betting on it being a likely album of the year candidate.
I quite enjoyed the ATCQ album.
Ill try Organised Konfusion tomorrow.
Ill also give UKG a try, if you say its your favorite.

cheers pal

UltraDoots

Recovery, anyone?

I am actually quite impressed with Eminem. Recovery is a good comeback from the image he has made of himself because of his last two albums. His lyrics and word play are amazing and make the songs worth replaying because you always catch something new each listen. Only complaint I can give is that he didn't cover a variety of topics like he used to, he makes multiple songs about the game and his revival in Recovery. But overall I like the album and reccomend at least skimming through it.

Love in a Mist

Mostly Harmless
I don't know if they've been mentioned before, but is anyone else a fan of the Cunninlynguists? Slightly awkward name, I know, but they're so awesome. *_*

The Gates is my personal favorite by them, and it's actually my favorite song of all time. If you don't think rap can be beautiful or meaningful then you need to listen to this song. =O
Mic Like a Memory and Lynguistics are really amazing as well.

(I also love 2pac, Biggie, Dre, Eminem, etc., but I'm sure they've already been mentioned enough ;p)

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I was wondering is MF Doom worth getting into? Would anyone recommend anything he's done?
Check out Madvillian. Overrated, but Madlib's beats allow me to get over MF Doom's image, and the rapping actually fits here.

I don't know if they've been mentioned before, but is anyone else a fan of the Cunninlynguists? Slightly awkward name, I know, but they're so awesome. *_*
Their production bugs me, honestly. Rapping ranges from pretty good to average. Cyne does the soulful southern rap better.

Love in a Mist

Mostly Harmless
Their production bugs me, honestly. Rapping ranges from pretty good to average. Cyne does the soulful southern rap better.

Their production...? Ok then...
I'll admit the rapping itself can be average. I just enjoy what they do with the pieces they sample (i like all kinds of music, so classical+rap is interesting to me)

OH and I really like Cypress Hill too. My favorite of theirs is probably "Illusions" x]

TerraWolf

Banned
Well, I listen to a bit of everything, but mostly rap.

Drake- Drake has to be one of the best people out there now, mostly because his crew is amazing and he has all of Young Money behind him. One of the best Drake songs I've listen too recently-Up All Night, ft. Nicki Minaj

Lil Wayne- What can I say. He's got 18 years on him and he's still fresh. And the best thing about Wayne is that he can change up his style. He can go from "Tha Carter 3" to "Rebirth" and go back to working on "Tha Carter 4" with no problem. The only thing is, he's locked up til November so "Tha Carter 4" might be delayed a bit longer, or he can do what T.I. did and fire out 10 times better.

Kanye West- I like some of his AutoTune stuff from Graduation, but Power is an amazing song, even without AutoTune.

T.I.- He's come back harder with "King Unleashed".

Jay-Z- He went non-AutoTune for "Blueprint 3" and its doing good for him.

Eminem- His best song by far is Not Afraid.

But yeah, there's other people I like too.

Recovery, anyone?

No but you can Thank Me Later

Last edited: