• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

the official mlb thread

BCVM22

the orioles started off so well, was it pitching that really killed them?

One could make that case. As bad as the Orioles are - as a team, as a front office, as an organization - they do have a fairly productive offensive core, as mentioned. What they don't have is a starting rotation. They're also hurt by playing in a division with two teams that outspend them almost 4:1 and 3:1, respectively, and a third team that doesn't spend money but by God did they surprise everyone this season. In any other division, they might challenge for second place.

Cy Young: NL Webb AL Lee
MVP: NL Braun AL Morneau

Your Cys are probably about right. Your MVPs could be contested.

In the NL, if you're going to make a case for Braun - I'm assuming in doing so, you're discarding Pujols and Berkman on account of their not playing for contending teams - then you could just as easily put Aramis Ramirez in the discussion as well. He's come on very strong over the last month, to the point where despite having 10 fewer HRs than Braun, he has 4 more RBIs. He also has a far better OBP and plays better defense at a more crucial defensive position. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't put money on either of them winning it - I think the voters will go with David Wright as long as the Mets make the playoffs - but Aramis has more than entered the discussion.

In the AL and in the context of this discussion, Carlos Quentin is to Justin Morneau what Aramis is to Ryan Braun. Comparable numbers including more home runs (and leading the league in that category), more total bases, more runs scored and a better SLG. That will also be an interesting race to watch down the stretch. Unlike the NL race, I actually would put a small sum on Quentin winning the AL MVP.

PokemonHero

I can see the future
the orioles started off so well, was it pitching that really killed them?

In a word: yes. The reason the Orioles did so well earlier in the year was because their bullpen was able to bail out the starters. Unfortunately, as the season went on, the bullpen got a little less effective and that combined with inconsistent pitching from their starters killed them. It is really disappointing, especially since the offense has finally picked things up recently.

Who saw the one-hitter C.C. Sabathia threw yesterday against the Pirates? Do you think that he got--as Ned Yost put it--'cheated' out of a no-hitter?

PsychicPsycho

Who saw the one-hitter C.C. Sabathia threw yesterday against the Pirates? Do you think that he got--as Ned Yost put it--'cheated' out of a no-hitter?

I saw the replays, not the actual game. I'm glad they at least went back and re-examined the issue, even though they didn't change anything. Although it looked like more of an error then a hit to me.

The game I did see was the Rays vs. Yankees game last night. A good game, and [Drum roll] we had the first instant replay [/Drum roll]. Seems to have gone well, although the video they were showing on TV didn't really help much either way.

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
[Drum roll] we had the first instant replay [/Drum roll
lucky *******s...

anyway I saw the CC and the Homer, both calls were eventually right

Blurrz

Oil Country 4 Life
So, the Rays were sweeped(what?) and dominated(what?) by the Blue Jays, and are now only 1 1/2 of the BoSoxs. Holy crap, like, wow, I guess stuff like this isn't supposed to happen, eh?

Bryloom

Trains and such
So my Dodgers are now 3.5 games ahead of the D'Backs.

I'm glad to see Andre Ethier the NL player of the week, he really deserved it with his recent accomplishments.

PsychicPsycho

So my Dodgers are now 3.5 games ahead of the D'Backs.

They struggled and struggled to take the lead, and now they're 3+ games ahead. Weird how that goes.

Does anyone think that Manny Ramirez becoming the MVP could be possible? It seems like he could, but given his league change he probably won't.

Bryloom

Trains and such
Does anyone think that Manny Ramirez becoming the MVP could be possible? It seems like he could, but given his league change he probably won't.
They won't do that :( It's because of his hair!

Speaking of Manny, I went to his first game as a Dodger. There was so much applauding and cheering for him. In contrast to the fans' reaction to the ever so rusty Andruw Jones (who was either up for bat right after or right before Manny can't remember, but it must've had some negative effect on Jones' morale :(). It was a great game, despite the loss. The most memorable event of the night though was when Pierre stole 3rd. That made my week

Divinity_123

shove 'er in! ;O
Why do the Jays always do this to us fans? Honestly, they play quite well at the beginning of the season, then drop to .500 and at the stretch, they start winning when it doesn't count...

I guess I'll just have to root for the Mets lol

And as for MVP candidates, Pedroia is on quite a tear, but I think Carlos Quentin or either Lance Berkman will win the AL MVP title.

woot21

super noob
either Lance Berkman will win the AL MVP title.
Ummmm, what the hell are talking about? Lance Berkman plays for the Astros. The Astros of the NL Central. Not the AL anything, the NL. So how does he even have a chance to win the AL MVP?

woot21 out dawgs

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Wow.. the indians are crushing the royals 12-2
looks like Cliff will get his 22nd vicctory! A twenty win differntial!

BCVM22

I think Carlos Quentin or either Lance Berkman will win the AL MVP title.

Assuming this isn't a typo, yeah, you might want to recheck your knowledge of teams and players and the leagues in which they play.

22 wins is a nice number, however not only are wins a poor metric by which to evaluate a pitcher's worth, but Lee has put up more than a few other numbers this season that make him equally good. He'll win the AL Cy Young, but the process by which the BBWAA will vote him as such can be best described as "wrong journey, right destination."

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Originally posted by BCVM22
22 wins is a nice number, however not only are wins a poor metric by which to evaluate a pitcher's worth, but Lee has put up more than a few other numbers this season that make him equally good. He'll win the AL Cy Young, but the process by which the BBWAA will vote him as such can be best described as "wrong journey, right destination."
true..
what's Lee's WHIP, do you know?

PsychicPsycho

Has there ever been another time were games where cancelled/rescheduled like this because of the weather? It's been pretty wild. I guess they're going to play an upcoming Cubs/Astros series up in the Brewer's stadium now.
Not a chance. Sabathia won't win the NL Cy by the same token.
Didn't Rick Sutcliffe win the Cy Young after switching leagues?

And who are the frontrunners for the Cy Young? I've heard a lot about Lee in the AL, but not much about the NL.
Yes, Lee is looking rather impressive. The Royals are my hometown team, but I was rooting for Lee to get his win. Wasn't Lee the one earlier this year that had the ERA of less then 1?

Does anyone know what the most wins have been by an undefeated pitcher?
Like with Santana. His win/loss record isn't as impressive as other pitchers, but I understand the bullpen has blown 7 or 8 leads after he started well.

BCVM22

Didn't Rick Sutcliffe win the Cy Young after switching leagues?

Yes, but Sut was also traded nearly a month earlier in the 1984 season (June 13th) than Sabathia was this season (July 6th).

And who are the frontrunners for the Cy Young? I've heard a lot about Lee in the AL, but not much about the NL.

It's down to Brandon Webb and Tim Lincecum. Webb has the edge in victories, but Lincecum leads in just about every other statistic; for my money, I'd take Lincecum, but the BBWAA eats up wins like a fat kid eats up cake, so who can be sure.

Does anyone know what the most wins have been by an undefeated pitcher?.

Tom Zachary, 1929 Yankees, 12-0 (11 starts, 26 games)
Dennis Lamp, 1985 Blue Jays, 11-0 (1 start, 53 games)

Lee isn't undefeated, though.

PsychicPsycho

Yes, but Sut was also traded nearly a month earlier in the 1984 season (June 13th) than Sabathia was this season (July 6th).
Oh, alright. I guess that would make a difference. I hadn't thought of that.
Lee isn't undefeated, though.
Yeah, I know. But he's only got 2 losses, and I was wondering if anyone had ever achieved as many victories with no losses.

And thanks for the info.

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Originally posted by
Webb has the edge in victories, but Lincecum leads in just about every other statistic; for my money, I'd take Lincecum, but the BBWAA eats up wins like a fat kid eats up cake, so who can be sure.
lol that made my day

I really do tink Webb will win this, but Lincecuem is definatly the better pitcher this year, he may be third or fourth in both leagues
1.Lee
2.Halliday
3.Lincecum
4.Webb or Matzuzaka(spelling?)

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Originally posted by
Webb has the edge in victories, but Lincecum leads in just about every other statistic; for my money, I'd take Lincecum, but the BBWAA eats up wins like a fat kid eats up cake, so who can be sure.
lol that made my day

I really do tink Webb will win this, but Lincecuem is definatly the better pitcher this year, he may be third or fourth in both leagues
1.Lee
2.Halliday
3.Lincecum
4.Webb or Matzuzaka(spelling?)