• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Nintendo Wii Thread

Paradox

Irate Pirate

Thunder Child

Dedicated Trainer
Paradox said:
Weren't those just the Gamecube ports?

They are just GC controller ports. They're there because GC games won't be downloadable - you'll need to use the disk. And they've not been programmed to recognize Revolution controllers, so GC controller ports are essential really.

Alright folks, it's almost time for Iwata's keynote speech. Matt from IGN and numerous other well-respected gaming journos believe this is the big one, and gaming communities across the net are abuzz with anticipation. Oh yes, and Hideo Kojima himself is expected to join Iwata on stage at some point.

And yes, I am fully aware of this. Supposedly it's of Nintendo's new franchise, but TBH I think it's just a shot taken from a film and with Retro's logo stuck on for good measure.

I'm also hearing that Square-Enix have "confirmed" Dragon Quest for the Revolution. I'll try and get a source for that ASAP.

*EDIT*

Dragon Quest was confirmed for the Revolution at press.nintendo.com. Though it was probably accidentally leaked, as the entire site has been taken down now, which is very odd indeed.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
They revealed the controller! Now we just gotta wait for pics...

Tendo128

R.I.P. Ridley
Iwata unveils Revolution controller
IGN will post high-resolution pictures, hands on impressions, feature breakdowns, roundtables, and more at 7:50 PM -- fewer than 15 minutes.
Revolution controller looks like futuristic television remote.
Glossy white design.
Looks Apple iPod inspired.
Controller is held in one hand. Attachments in the other.
Attachments connect to the bottom of the controller. Iwata shows analog stick attachment.
Thinking about packing Revolution with the main controller and attachment, Iwata says.
Controller acts like a mouse in real-space 3D. Pefect for FPS games!
Future attachments planned.

Oh God, I can't wait for the pics!

S

Spazzup

I can't wait to see some specs! Not much longer now...

EDIT: It's a [SPOIL]one-handed controller[/SPOIL]! :0

Tendo128

R.I.P. Ridley
YAYness!!! The pics are coming up now!

EDIT:
Here it is!

REVCONTROLLER.jpg

Last edited:

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
At 7:45 PM, the Revolution's controller is finally revealed!!!

But I'm not getting too exited yet... If the controller either has a touch-screen involved that's similar to the NDS's, or too much like a controller that has uses that belong elsewhere(like perhaps the computer. Why? A computer already has attachment ports! If the Revolution has attachment ports to them, then it's bound for failure in the innovation department.), then I may be getting the feeling that I was tricked out at the end, and what do I mean by "tricked"??? I mean that I fell for the wrong console! What do I do to the "wrong console"? I don't buy them! Because I know that the "wrong console" means a non-innovative and game-industry-killing console, I'm getting tired of those kinds of consoles! Sure, I bought the 'Cube for the games, but if the console's non-innovative, and the games are not innovative enough to ensure that the game industry doesn't dry out in terms of ideas, then I'm not buying the console that fits those requirements!

EDIT: Although it kinda is non-innovative, I might be able to change my opinion slightly, just for the Revolution... But I don't know what my parents think... *sighs* Guess I'll have to ask them when the Revolution comes out...

Last edited:

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Spazzup said:
I can't wait to see some specs! Not much longer now...

EDIT: It's a [SPOIL]one-handed controller[/SPOIL]! :0
[spoil]No it's not[/spoil]

S

Spazzup

I didn't see the attachment part until after I posted. My bad. x_x

Infinity

Gone...
I hesitate on this one... How is it gonig to play games that would normally require two analog sticks? It certainly is unexpected... How is it going to play some N64 games? I thought it would be a little less innovative persay. Let's just say I'm a little less optimistic than IGN is. Time to make another SSBR thread!

W

WinterSnowblind

It can at least still use Gamecube controllers. But I can't get behind Nintendo on this decision anymore than I can appreciate the PS3's boomarangs. I use a remote to change channels, I can't see it being fun to use for playing games with.

I'll wait and see how this goes, but my money is still safely on the Xbox 360 for next gen..

Infinity

Gone...
Shadowfax said:
It can at least still use Gamecube controllers. But I can't get behind Nintendo on this decision anymore than I can appreciate the PS3's boomarangs. I use a remote to change channels, I can't see it being fun to use for playing games with.

I'll wait and see how this goes, but my money is still safely on the Xbox 360 for next gen..
Agreed, it's awkward. I am a really big Nintendo fan and I will still get it no matter what, but please let the last few "tweaks" be big improvements. Do these gaming companies ever listen to gamers anymore? It's a basic rule of business to do so.

Infinity

Gone...
I'll agree with you there. Overall though isn't PS2 doig better than the GC in Japan? if so then they know how to keep a balance of things introduce bloody games from Microsoft into Japan nad well you barely sell any XBOXs at all. Obviously Sony must be doing something right to get the games there overall, making the PS2 the best selling system in the world right now. I don't have an XBOX, but look at Halo and Halo 2, wow strong plot kill aliens... Although it has immense multiplayer which makes it in America's stanadards. if only nintendo blended in with what people wnated and their own unique design then I can fully see something like the Revolution being greeted with open arms. Some people who are used to the way things are done in SSBM (like myself) will have our worlds turned upside down. We'll need to repractice what we've learned over the past couple years. Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, etc. I see no problems, but my main concern is SSBR, considering SSBm is a platform seller this one needs to be all that great and well in the very least this will get awkward to begin with.

Paradox

Irate Pirate
The more I read about it the more it makes sense but i'm not sure on the button placement.

It's a brilliant idea by Nintendo though, how many people will have to buy new controllers after losing their original ones down the side of the sofa like a TV remote control

Thunder Child

Dedicated Trainer
I've fully updated the first post. Take a look. :)

When I first saw the remote this morning, I was like "Eh? A remote? That's it?? How the hell do I hold that?". I mean, I was pretty bemused about it all, and my immediate concerns were about holding the unit itself, how sensitive the gyroscopes within are, how using the buttons on it will compare with using those on current and previous gen controllers. That sort of thing. I was still excited from the night before, but that kinda faded when I saw it. And then I read the details about it, then I got excited, because it actually does have the potential to change everything. In fact, in a way, I think it already has.

Although, I have to admit I've not yet seen the tech demo footage, but I'll see that soon I'm sure, and the impressions I've heard from others who've seen it are very positive. Well, mostly. A few said they felt distinctly alienated by the design. And that's quite understandable - it's new, it's different, it's nothing like what we're used to. But think about it - it would make controlling many different games easier and more fun.

Imagine, say, a boxing game. You jab hard with the pointer and you give your opponent a good whack which he almost successfully defends against. He tries to strike back, but you lift the pointer upright and block his punch before swinging round and knocking him out.

Something like this might require two pointers though - one for each hand - and a wire peripheral to link the two up, and one may need to be modified to hold an analogue stick, but the potential for something like this becoming reality is most definately there.

I can give another example - a theoretical Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball Revolution. You're up to the plate, the ball comes flying at you, you take a swing. The bat misses. Second try, you whack the ball into the crowd and manage to run three bases before you're forced to stop.

See what I'm getting at? Sure, it may not work in practice, but dammit this controller could change the way we play forever.

Last edited: