1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Golden Pure, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Unoin

Unoin Well-Known Member

No I've never thought about this and don't agree with it. Why would squirrels have shells? :D

2. PKMNinja

PKMNinja Black Ninja

I agree with Unoin. Why in the world would a squirrel have a shell. I think it makes it hard to climb trees.

3. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

As Pokemons are monsters, it's not weird for me that Squirtle is part squirrel.

4. xDWarrior

xDWarrior Well-Known Member

Well it has a squirrel tail! It's entirely possible, you never know with GF.

5. XSilverStarboyX

XSilverStarboyX Well-Known Member

I also used to think it came from squirrel based on the tale. This was back when Red and Blue had just came out of course. Now I am pretty sure that it just comes from Squirt and Turtle;152;

6. Mr.FusRoDah

Mr.FusRoDah Well-Known Member

This. Yes, it is a turtle, but it does have a squirrel-like tail. No biggie, it is a turtle nevertheless.

7. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

It is said its tail resembles that of a squirrel's tail... but I think it looks more like a wave pattern...
    I mean I dunno if they picked the squirrel's tail b/c of the squirr~ word and the resemblance to the tail...
    Wartotle's tail somewhat confirms it but I dunno...

8. MegaSerperior

MegaSerperior <--- My life

I've heard the claim that Squirtle is squirrel+turtle, however It makes more sense if it's squirt+turtle in my opinion.

9. telivisionhead

telivisionhead Well-Known Member

Yes. The pokemon franchise run out of names (at least by now I bet!) so they make some random name that well... isnt that "creative" and then other names are WOA....

There is also a meme for this squirtle thing.

Cover the tail: Turtle
    Cover the body: Squirel
    MIND=BLOWN!

In that meme it mentions the tail being a squirel tail then again it also means squirt like u said Honeyichigo

10. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

Squir is probably from squirrel and not squirt. The clue is Squirtle's tail. If it wasn't its tail, we would say that it is Squirt.

So, yes, Squirtle is a mix of a turtle with a squirrel, being said that it is more turtle than a squirrel. The only squirrel feature it has is its tail.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  11. CAH

CAH Calm And Hyper

That's highly unlikely. "Squirt" makes sense and fits in with "Blast" in Blastoise's name. Squirtle does have a tail, but it isn't a bushy one like that of a real life squirrel, so it isn't a sure thing that this was inspired by a squirrel. "Squir" COULD be both "squirt" and "squirrel" but the games, series and no other translations of the Pokemon's name even mention a squirrel at all, nor does Squirtle show any Squirrel like characteristics (e.g. living in trees).

So it seems a huge stretch to me to even class Squirtle as a squirrel.

12. Shine

Shine Psyched Up Staff Member Moderator

GPD rule #2, no thread about a single Pokemon, please. This thread is just about Squirtle, which means it's about a single Pokemon.

I'll merge this thread with the Pokemon Discussion thread.

13. Floette

Floette Fennekin

10.jpg

Am I the only one who cannot comprehend the fantastic nature of this pokemon?

14. flamebeam

flamebeam DAYN-JUH ZONE!

I've never seen anyone fall in love with a Pokémon within such a short amount of time

15. Floette

Floette Fennekin

It is so cute doe D': All I know is it is going to be on my team forever.

16. Toxinine

Toxinine nou

One thing I don't get.

We're all familiar with Magikarp, which many believe is the worst poemon ever. What ever happened to feebas? Feebas is pretty much an uglier version of magikarp...

17. Regality

Regality Digital King

Feebas can learn TMs, magikarp can't. (I think)

18. Grumpy Drizzle

Grumpy Drizzle Well-Known Member

Despite both families sharing similar stas, I think Feebas theme is more about an ugly Pokemon that becomes beatiful if given a chance.
    It's basicly a Magikarp for Pokemon Contests.

19. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I think it is because Feebas can learn TM's so it is a little bit useful.

20. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Magikarp is more... I guess classic?

Feebas is more well-known for the fact that it's difficult to find, anyway. Training a Magikarp in-game is more widely known to be difficult, since it's found earlier and unlike Feebas, people are actually willing to do it.