• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Alright, so I'm confused by Yamask and Cofagrigus's pokedex enteries.

Yamask was once a human, and it carries the mask of its previous human life. It then evolves into Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus eats nearby humans and turns their bodies into mummies.

So that evolution line literaly breeds by killing a human and turning them into a Yamask, then waiting for them to grow into Cofagrigus to eat another human and restart the process.

Since all Yamasks have masks with the faces of dead humans, that means that in some way there must be a dead human involved in its birth.

Why/how is it that I can breed with another pokemon instead of just letting Cofagrigus eat the daycare lady?

I wouldn't take what the Pokédex says at face value since it has been proven wrong from time to time.

Maedar

Banned
The PokeDex says that Pokémon do a LOT of horrible things. It says some of them prey on humans, that some of them consume dreams, or souls...

It would suggest that Froslass is the most sadistic monster in existence, actually displaying its frozen victims like trophies.

I tend to think that the PokeDex entries shouldn't be taken at face value. In fact, I remember the episode of the anime where Ash and company met the guy in charge of programming the entries... He was kind of loopy. If whoever does it in the game is in any way the same, then well... Maybe we shouldn't trust him on this.

Especially since in this world, parents actually encourage their children to hunt these things alone. If they really ARE as dangerous as the PokeDex suggests, then this place is a worse dystopia than the one in The Hunger Games.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I picture the Pokedex as more of a...myth keeper.

But if you really want to believe it at face value. I think the people that Yamask come from were an Ancient people (I hope I'm remembering this right) that just now became Yamask. So maybe it takes a really long time? Like maybe a millennia? maybe more or less?

Like the others said, I wouldn't really believe what the pokedex says. I mean, it said that light reflected from Lugia's feathers can destroy a city, like, come on.

And even if the Yamask thing would be true, maybe wandering souls are attracted to Yamask eggs and one inhabits it, forming the Yamask.

Maedar

Banned
The pokedex is full of crap. No pokemon has ever acted out upon what their entry says.

Like I said. For all we know... A kid wrote the entries...

Heck, why not? Kids are the ones who are hunting them. It would make sense...

NotSoSkilled

Oh I understand that the entries shouldn't be taken at face value. I'm fairly certain they're supposed to have been wrote by a kid. I'm just wondering why that kid was so goddam screwed up.

xDWarrior

Alright, so I'm confused by Yamask and Cofagrigus's pokedex enteries.

Yamask was once a human, and it carries the mask of its previous human life. It then evolves into Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus eats nearby humans and turns their bodies into mummies.

So that evolution line literaly breeds by killing a human and turning them into a Yamask, then waiting for them to grow into Cofagrigus to eat another human and restart the process.

Since all Yamasks have masks with the faces of dead humans, that means that in some way there must be a dead human involved in its birth.

Why/how is it that I can breed with another pokemon instead of just letting Cofagrigus eat the daycare lady?

A lot of the times Pokedex entries are just flavor text. They don't really mean anything in regards to game mechanics.

Shiny Rokon

i like the pokedex entries, i think its good to give pokemon a bit more character than all the airy fairy ones in the anime. Besides it could describe pokemon traits in the game's world as oppose to what we see in the anime.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
like the others said, the pokedex is nothing but flavor text and shouldn't be be taken at face value, but LMAO that was hilarious. I give you credit (or whoever thought that up)

Shiny Rokon

i like how in the pokemon adventures manga series they make many references to the pokedex entries and pokemon usually have the characteristics the pokedex describes.

On the topic of Shellder and Evolution

It's been around in Gen I, and it's simple enough: A Shellder bites a Slowpoke's tail/head, and the Slowpoke evolves into Slow-bro/king. It has been shown that Slowpoke attract other Pokemon (such as Magikarp and Goldeen), but they have been discarded quickly. It has also been shown that Shellder and Cloyster clamp onto other Pokemon (such as Misty's Psyduck); these have also been quickly discarded.

As mentioned in multiple PokeDex entries, it is the Poison that Shellder secrete that cause the evolution. However, the only Poison move they learn is Toxic, which is learned by all Pokemon that learn TMs.

So what is it about Shellder- or Slowpoke, if you wish- that creates an evolution not found in other Pokemon?

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
I'm not exactly sure, I believe it might to do something with the two brains connecting through the bite. Sorry,
But that's the best explanation I could think of.

Shellder does seem to have roughly the same mental state as a Slowmon.

garretslarrity

Unova Champion
I like Zoroark, as you can see in my avatar! It's Illusion ability is so fun! I also love how the one given to you in B2W2 was N's! (As a Zorua). Plus, I think we needed more Pokemon that start with the letter Z.

Last edited:

garretslarrity

Unova Champion
why are people so obsessed with eevee? im mean its a cool pokemon but still...

Eevee itself is not special, it's what it can do. A Pokemon that can evolve into 8 different Pokemon! Also, look at how it is being used in the Sixth Generation, Sylveon is a perfect way to show off the new Fairy type!

I also think the Second Generation should have have a Dark and Steel Eeveelution, rather than Dark and Psychic to show off the new Dark and Steel types, but I can't really complain since I love Espeon!

Last edited: