• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

TheEliteEmpoleon

Houndoom or Camerupt ?

I would say Houndoom. Though they both have cool typings and awesome shiny forms, I like Houndoom's design better, and I've used it competitively, while I haven't used Camerupt in the metagame yet.

YaelleG

Sooo...about Stantler.
I am so confused. I looked around the web & believe it or not, I'm still confused. I just learned how to chain... I'm playing Pearl. So I was chaining Machops and I came across a gold Stantler. I cant say I totally understand chaining yet - or why they break even though I'm using repels and not running from battles. There might be more to it than that, IDK but anyway I came across this gold stantler on the 6th in the chain and i promptly killed it. I freaked out & decided to try again and on the 4th in the chain, it returned. So I looked online & I saw some pictures of Stantler & he's brownish and on at least the one place I looked, the shiny sprite is GREEN. But that was for some specific game, not this one I am on.... I dunno.

But TBH, I really am even more confused than that! Because after getting the National Pokedex (in any game!) I cant say I totally understand what the whole encounter thing works like. Are you able to run into virtually any & every type any place? Its my 1st game, obviously. Or are there certain rules for how it works, or....? Better hit myself in the face.

Editing to mention that I did catch it the 2nd time around..

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Sooo...about Stantler.
I am so confused. I looked around the web & believe it or not, I'm still confused. I just learned how to chain... I'm playing Pearl. So I was chaining Machops and I came across a gold Stantler. I cant say I totally understand chaining yet - or why they break even though I'm using repels and not running from battles. There might be more to it than that, IDK but anyway I came across this gold stantler on the 6th in the chain and i promptly killed it. I freaked out & decided to try again and on the 4th in the chain, it returned. So I looked online & I saw some pictures of Stantler & he's brownish and on at least the one place I looked, the shiny sprite is GREEN. But that was for some specific game, not this one I am on.... I dunno.

But TBH, I really am even more confused than that! Because after getting the National Pokedex (in any game!) I cant say I totally understand what the whole encounter thing works like. Are you able to run into virtually any & every type any place? Its my 1st game, obviously. Or are there certain rules for how it works, or....? Better hit myself in the face.

Editing to mention that I did catch it the 2nd time around..

I'm not really sure what the question is here, but I'm going to try to help. It doesn't matter if you have the National Dex or not; you can only run into certain Pokemon in certain places. Stantler is only available in Pearl on Route 207 with the Poke Radar. After you get the National Dex, more Pokemon are available to find (such as Stantler), but they still only appear on certain Routes.

As for your shiny Stantler, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. In Pearl, a regular Stantler looks like this:

[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/KTdcs45.png[/IMG139]

In Pearl, a shiny Stantler looks like this:

[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/F64k3DC.png[/IMG139]

There are no shiny gold Stantlers.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Houndoom or Camerupt ?

Houndoom. It has access to Pursuit + Sucker Punch and it also has better Special Attack (105 vs 110) which allows it to run a good mixed attacking set. It's also much faster, which is a big advantage. Camerupt isn't really that bulky.

turtwig9

i don't know XD
The PokeDex says that Pokémon do a LOT of horrible things. It says some of them prey on humans, that some of them consume dreams, or souls...

It would suggest that Froslass is the most sadistic monster in existence, actually displaying its frozen victims like trophies.

I tend to think that the PokeDex entries shouldn't be taken at face value. In fact, I remember the episode of the anime where Ash and company met the guy in charge of programming the entries... He was kind of loopy. If whoever does it in the game is in any way the same, then well... Maybe we shouldn't trust him on this.

Especially since in this world, parents actually encourage their children to hunt these things alone. If they really ARE as dangerous as the PokeDex suggests, then this place is a worse dystopia than the one in The Hunger Games.
i think my parents would *encorage* me to leave home if i came home and shown them a charmander, knowing it would one day be a charizard breathing fire in the living room :D

i've always imagined that funny event where a 10 year old trainer gets his first pokemon, runs out of pallet town steps on a weedle and dies of poision! xD

but, personally i think pokemon just don't have the desire to kill trainers, because they're with other pokemon or just because they're not aggressive :)
i think its like some kinda mutual relationship where trainers trust pokemon not to kill them and they trust us not to kill/eat them, like.... cherubi is partially edible according to its pokedex entry, isn't it? but trainers don't eat them. (the small berry at least is edible last time i checked the PokeDex) and when we see a pidgey we don't *kill* it with fire blast from our charizards, just make it faint and move on.

well thats my explanation for it anyway :D

My favorite Pokemon would have to be..... wait for it...... wait for it...... Swampert! ;260; ;260; ;260;!!!!! He's been a part of my favorites ever since I started my first ever Pokemon Emerald game with a female Mudkip named Swampy... *sigh* good times. She later got to level 100 and instantly became my favorite. But that all ended when I let my brother play my game. When he played, he started a new game. A little while later, he saved the game! I was devestated. But now, she's coming back on my Black 2 game. *snivel* Swampy will return!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
My favorite Pokemon would have to be..... wait for it...... wait for it...... Swampert! ;260; ;260; ;260;!!!!! He's been a part of my favorites ever since I started my first ever Pokemon Emerald game with a female Mudkip named Swampy... *sigh* good times. She later got to level 100 and instantly became my favorite. But that all ended when I let my brother play my game. When he played, he started a new game. A little while later, he saved the game! I was devestated. But now, she's coming back on my Black 2 game. *snivel* Swampy will return!

This reminds me of the fact I also had a female Mudkip as my starter back in Ruby, and now she's a Lv100 Swampert resting in my SoulSilver. At least my brother never touched my Pokemon games a lot because he lost interest in the franchise. In fact, this experience was what lead to me often picking Water-type starters in most of my main playthroughs.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect

I also had a level 92 Swampert in Emerald.

gamehunter

Cyb3rl1nk
So what are peoples thoughts on Eevee, or more specifically in regards to its fur collar. Gen 1 is the ONLY one thus far to have eeveelutions maintain theirs (ie; Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon). Even this new eeveelution, Sylveon, doesn't have one. Does anyone know why? Personally I wish they would have continued along with it.

Darkrai007

Poke Samurai
How U Use This?!

Have you ever wondered how the hell smeargle can use all moves like fly or or even Roaro Of Time XD. Theres also mew who people say can use all moves but id like to see it use transform.So i know theres still tons of them that dont match with their moves so what do you guys have in mind.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Well the point if Smeargle is that as the Painter Pokémon (feel free to correct) that it can copy an opponent's move using its signature attack, Sketch. It's pure novelty, and has some application especially to breeding and gimmicky competitive battles. If I were you I wouldn't take it too seriously, I find it creative that such a Pokémon exists.

And Transform is one of the reasons that Mew can use all moves. Like Smeargle, it just copies the opponent's attacks but only temporarily. Mew can also use Metronome, which gives it access to pretty much any move (I think Sketch and Transform are excluded, feel free to correct me again).

Darkrai007

Poke Samurai
Whoa guys, i dont want any argument and i do know they can use this moves . Im just saying its weird, i mean imagine a smeargle using roar of time (beside in real life).

I mean besides the game

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
Well mew used transform in the movie Lucario and the mystery of mew. And transform is a move that logically most psychic types could learn. For smeargle using fly? Dodrio also flies (but it has no wings).So it may be a question with no logical answer.

TheSimplePickle

Skyla Lover
Logic aside, Smeargle would see the move and sorta paint it out in whatever way and it would come to life because it's realistic. Yeah. That's really the best explanation I have.

That would be logical, but to prove it we would need to see Smeargle use it in the anime, which I SERIOUSLY doubt will happen, unless some Artist guy was Character of the Day. It would be interesting to see, though.

Great. Now I want to catch a Smeargle, too. ._.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Really, trying to define the logic in pokemon is like trying to divide by zero.

Smeargle can learn all of those moves by Sketch, as it's been clarified already. Mew's the holder of all pokemon's genes, so it'd make at least some sense that it has access to many moves that would otherwise contradict it's physical appearence.