1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Golden Pure, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 3fiddy

3fiddy Z

I just realized Sandyghast has a shovel sticking out of his head. Totally want to see him pull the shovel out and throw it into another pokemons throat lol

2. r3iKo7

r3iKo7 New Member

Does anyone in here play Pokemon Duel, or is there a Pokemon Duel thread someone can direct me to?

3. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

It's not that active, but there is a thread for Pokemon Duel in the Spin-Off section of the forums. Here's a link. It's called the Comaster thread, but that's left over from before it came out in English.

4. I'm new here and thanks for the rules. It helped. Thanks!

5. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

I'm here to nitpick on the lack of sexual dimorphism in the Lanturn-line. Lanturn is based on anglerfish, specifically the footballfish. First off, the males only grow up to 1.5 INCH. The females grow to become TWO FEET. YIKES! Second, the males of the footballfish don't develop the lure so common associated with the species. SO WHY DOES MALE LANTURN HAVE THAT, AND WHY ARE THEY STILL THE ELECTRIC-TYPE? Thirdly, upon maturity, males undergo metamorphosis (sounds like evolution!) into a parasitic form - and attach themselves to females, and aside from their reproductive glands, they shrivel up and live off the females blood.

Male Lanturn should just not be a thing, and Lanturn as we know it should be female only. Male Chinchou however could still evolve into a more shriveled up parasitic form with huge reproductive glands and no Electric-typing.

I'm just thinking about how such a relationship could be beneficial in a pokémon battle if one were to use female only Lanturn and male only Chinchou evolution in a double battle. The male would suck blood (HP) to sustain itself, quite similar I'd reckon to Leech Seed. But considering how the males are small and basically only good for reproduction purposes, how could this become a beneficial strategy/ability? I wouldn't think the male would be very strong, nor tanky. Maybe it could function as a form of Life Orb? It sucks HP from the female Lanturn, but grants a significant boost to the female Lanturn's offense - while the female Lanturn could still hold an item of her own choosing and have either Volt Absorb/Water Absorb as her own abilities?

Or if male equivalent of Lanturn should just not exist, should female only Lanturn get a healing move similar to what Vespiquen has - in a sense absorbing the proteins from the male reproductive glands would give her more sustainability aka a HP-recovery move?

6. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Here's the thing, Lanturn is not a football fish, Lanturn is a Lanturn. It is inspired by a football fish, but that does not mean it literally is a football fish and should follow ever little detail about its real world counterpart. Beyond that, look to Sawsbuck, Stantler, Heracross, Mamoswine, Walrein, Bouffalant, etc. There is no shortage of Pokemon with obvious sexual dimorphic features in their real-world counterparts that are not represented in their designs.

7. totodile360

totodile360 New Member

yes i have always wondered a similar things in regards to the machop line. why don't female machoke and machamp look more like models, or even female body builders. i mean it doesn't make any sense to have a Pokémon line that is based on a male wrestler, a human conception to have no sexual dimorphism. because female wrestlers do exist.

8. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

The Machop line are not a human wrestlers though. They're Pokemon that happen to look like human male wrestlers. It makes perfect sense, because that's just what they are. Just as different species in the real world have different gender attributes, so too do Pokemon. No dimorphism needed.

9. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Still, I'm wondering why they didn't get some gender difference when Alakazam, their Psychic rival who also has masculine features, did. Yeah it was just a shorter mustache but still I'm wondering

10. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Alakazam may have gotten gender differences, but the gender differences it got don't matter to this discussion, as both male and female can still have a mustache. If anything, it only further proves my point that human gender attributes need not apply to Pokemon.

11. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

You know, I did some multiplication and research regarding the Pokemon storage system, and found that the amount of Pokemon you can store in a single Generation IV game is more than twice the amount you can store in a single Generation I game. Additionally, a single Generation V game can store three times the Generation I amount, while a single Generation VII game can store four times that same amount. That means that if you filled up the storage system in the VC versions of the Japanese Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow, then used Poke Transporter to send all the Pokemon in them to either Sun or Moon, you'd have a full storage system.

12. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

Lapras is just goat! I always remember hunting her down on Tuesdays on Silver! (My dates in game were messed aha), every Tuesday after school without fail I'll catch a Lapras! Lugia and Lapras were to two mons I'd always have on my team without fail even if I never used Lapras.

13. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trade
    This isn't true. I was able to trade between French Blue and English Yellow.

14. KingAegislash

KingAegislash Member

I just rewatched the Deoxys movie and it made me wonder imagine if Deoxys had an ability that allowed it to change forms mid-battle kinda like Aegislash's stance change. In the movie Deoxys changed to defence form when being attacked and attack form when attacking. It would be overpowered like hell.

15. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

When I was thinking about Deoxys being playable in Smash Bros. (a pipe dream, I know), I was thinking about its form changes to different commands. I thought its weakness could be the cooldown between changing forms.

I'm brilliant, aren't I?

16. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I think Deoxys might be the best random Pokémon, with no particular reason, to be a character in Smash Bros. It won't happen, but it would be awesome.

17. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

With the current UBs, we now have sub-legendaries for all types, with Dark, Bug, Ghost and Poison having only UBs. Dark and Ghost will likely have full trios or quartets of Legendaries sometime in the distant future. (Silvally forms don't count.)

Outside of this, with UB-Assembly and Necrozma Dusk Mane, Electric is rarer than Steel now.

18. Kirby Dragons

Kirby Dragons Well-Known Member

To add to that, the two Gens without Fossil Pokemon also don't have a two-stage cat Pokemon, or a butterfly/moth Pokemon, whereas all the other Gens do.

19. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

Ordinarily I’d say no, but the fact they’re introducing a Pokémon Switch game this soon does sound reasonable because they’ve been dropping Sinnoh hints in the games, in the anime (more specifically the I Choose You movie), & even in the Adventures manga this entire generation. Plus, they could use the DP remake to test out any bugs before releasing Gen 8 and pushing the Switch’s software to its limits.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  20. The Marowhacker

The Marowhacker VGC 18 Trainer

I love Lapras's shiny sprite.