• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
The name Megalo Tower is interesting, because Genesect's cannon was named Megalo Cannon in TCG. It comes from French shortening of the term megalomaniac.

Edit: Rough thoughts on the moveset changes and tutors:

-New Egg Moves: Severely lacking. There aren't a lot of species that have Electric Terrain in addition to added Terrains and some more Minerals could have gained Head Smash and Guard moves. Lack of offensive moves is another issue. Hopefully some of the changes here will be the groundwork for Gen 8 Egg Moves.

-Moveset changes: Severely under performing, especially compared to Platinum's and B2W2's changes. Removal of repeats in most movepools is a nice clean-up, though other messed up movesets like Walrein's remain.

-Move Tutors:

-Old Moves: Only Defog is any noteworthy, largely because they expanded it to Rotom and Fairy-types. Telekinesis remains weak due to its lack of turns and Ally Switch is irrelevant outside of Triples. I suspect BW remakes will focus on Gen 5 moves that didn't get TMs/Move Tutors in their gen like Guard moves, now these TMs have returned.

-Laser Focus: A much needed critical hit booster, but sadly it is not too common.

-Stomping Tantrum: Basically this is a better Bulldoze/weaker Drill Run. Its coverage is nice, but it is far too situational.

-Throat Chop: A very bizarre move that is for some reason given exclusively to fully evolved Pokémon, but it fulfills the Dark-type coverage we have been waiting for decades. Hopefully Chopping moves will have their own Ability, like Karate Hands or something.

-Liquidation: This move really isn't any better than Waterfall. It will likely see usage in Sheer Force movesets, and species that don't want to lose accuracy for Aqua Tail/Razor Shell.

Others: Burn Up Ho-Oh and Surf Pikachu are both really weird. Mind Blown looks to be very fun. Photon Geyser is cool. Plasma Fists is just a better Fusion Bolt. New Z-moves are largely a waste.

Edit: Overall changes to Egg Groups are.

Amorphous gets Crafty Shield.
Bug gets Grassy Terrain.
Dragon gets Close Combat.
Fairy gets Power Whip, Sticky Web, Powder, Tearful Look.
Field gets First Impression, Sacred Sword, Meteor Mash.
Flying gets Aqua Jet, First Impression, Leaf Storm, Shadow Sneak, Phantom Force, Play Rough.
Grass gets Misty Terrain, Heavy Slam, Night Slash.
Human-Like gets Lunge.
Monster gets Dragon Hammer.
Water 1 gets Sticky Web, Power Trip.
Water 2 gets Guard Swap.

Edit 2: The few tutor changes are:
Plusle, Minun get Covet.
Poliwrath gets Dual Chop.
Mandibuzz regains Iron Defense.
Blitzle, Zebstrika get Low Kick.
Snorlax gets Snatch without Munchlax.
Smoochum and Jynx get Wonder Room.
Buizel and Floatzel get Helping Hand.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

After switching the forums to the Dragon skin, I had a crazy, crazy idea. What if the Bagon line was based off of Superman? Think of it like this:
  • Bagon = Baby Kal-el
  • Shelgon = Kal-el in the pod going to Earth
  • Salamence = Superman
The name Bagon is "baby" + "dragon".
Salamence is red and blue just like Superman. Essentially, Salamence's wings are Superman's cape. Salamence is a Flying-type, and Superman is known for his ability to fly.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Salamence is a homage to Devilman sharing colors, shapes, even the alternate illustrations where he’s more green than teal in series (shiny Sala). Coincidently, it has the red/blue color scheme of Supes as well, but the basis is distinctly Devilman.

Niormon

So whats this I hear about Pokemon switch coming in 2018 ?! this is pretty shocking since GF always wanted to work with a 3 year life cycle.

ArtFenix

So whats this I hear about Pokemon switch coming in 2018 ?! this is pretty shocking since GF always wanted to work with a 3 year life cycle.
I don't remember there being any confirmation that the game would release next year. Pokemon for Switch in 2018 would be amazing for the console itself but I am not sure it would be amazing for the series since a high quality game such as Pokemon on pretty much a home console requires a lot of time to develop. A mainline Pokemon game for the Switch needs to be very innovative, that's what the majority expects from it, and I just don't think it is really possible to achieve by 2018, given such short development time after Sun/Moon.

Niormon

I don't remember there being any confirmation that the game would release next year. Pokemon for Switch in 2018 would be amazing for the console itself but I am not sure it would be amazing for the series since a high quality game such as Pokemon on pretty much a home console requires a lot of time to develop. A mainline Pokemon game for the Switch needs to be very innovative, that's what the majority expects from it, and I just don't think it is really possible to achieve by 2018, given such short development time after Sun/Moon.
That's what I'm saying why are people in this comment section saying 2018 is gonna be the year of Pokemon or something.

Gritz

Not sure if this is the right place for this

I think I just found something out. I'm playing Gen III with a cut-slave Lioone and for some reason using cut made the oppossing pokemon flinch! There's nothing about this readily online. Is this a glitch or are there maybe more hidden abilities that we've mined data for??

Edit: Lioone has pickup and actually picked up a kings rock while I didn't notice. No fun, mystery solved.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Not sure if this is the right place for this

I think I just found something out. I'm playing Gen III with a cut-slave Lioone and for some reason using cut made the oppossing pokemon flinch! There's nothing about this readily online. Is this a glitch or are there maybe more hidden abilities that we've mined data for??

I am aware of a situation that this can happen especially in Ruby and Sapphire.

There is a held item Called the Kings Rock that will make Pokémon flinch. Linoone is one a few Pokémon with the Ability Pickup, which gives that Pokémon random item from a small list assuming it is not holding anything, sometimes after a battle. One of the rare items that Linoone can find is Kings Rock.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Pokemon.com Pokemon Day page said:
Seven Superb Regions

The distinctive regions help make each Pokémon adventure new and exciting. Trainers fondly remember Johto's traditional architecture, Kalos's regal chateaus and towers, Unova's city lights and marvelous bridges, and of course, Hoenn's plentiful bodies of water. And who could forget the new teams of villains that seem to appear with each new region?
Embrace that 7.8/10 proudly.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Looking at the unreleased stuff for Gen 7, we have:

HAs:
-StartersAvailable 8 March 2018 onward due to Pokémon Bank.
-Tapus
-Monkeys Available 28 March 2019 onward due to Pokémon Bank.
-Heatran
-Pumpkaboo forms

Mythicals:
-Zeraora Internationally available in October 1st-November 15th.
-Deoxys
-Darkrai Released April 27th-May 27th 2018 in South Korea
-Shaymin Available in Japan on April 25th-June 30th 2018 due to Pokémon Center 20th anniversary.
-Keldeo
-Genesect
-Diancie
-Volcanion

Shinies:
-Mythicals(Keldeo, Meloetta, Hoopa, Volcanion, Magearna, Zeraora, Marshadow)
-Tapus(Tapu Lele (to be released in December 2018), Tapu Bulu (to be released in March 2019), Tapu Fini (to be released in May 2019))
-Nebula trio(Cosmog, Cosmoem, Lunala, Solgaleo, Necrozma)

Other forms:
-Magearna OC
-EF Floette

Triple types:

Edit: Some people have suggested that Pokémon should go for third types. Well, with three types we have:
-Type combinations: Two types give 162 type combinations. Three types give 972 type combinations. The difference is 810 combinations, which, with 15 combinations per gen means around 54 generations, ie 162 years of gap from Gen 9 onward.
-Typings: Two types give 324 typings. Three types give 5220 typings(I guess, anyways. It is 18 monotypes, 306 dual types, 4896 triple types). Assuming 25 typings per gen, this gives 196 generations, which means 588 years of gap from Gen 12 onward.
Edit: Since the amount of types that expand beyond three effectiveness is rare, it genuinely does seem that that with a slight rebalancing of type tables, triple types can work really well. Without it, triple types can still work decently. However, the number of species possible is simply ridiculous, not to mention one species can get five STABs with a three types+ an additional type from opponents' move+"x" worker ability.

Other stuff:
Edit: In terms of moves we have 150-10 range. So, for every physical and special move and 18 types, we would need 1008 moves. Assuming equivalent for status moves, it would take about 13 generations, ie. 2 years +39 years to complete move archetypes.
Edit: Regarding abilities, by Gen 12 we will have around 400+ abilities, most of which will be rare stuff. Outside of converting move and item effects into Abilities, there isn't really anything that can be coherently argued about them, since they are so varied. And because species with low amount of abilities are always introduced, like cross-generational additions we will never run out of them.
Edit: We can also add items to be the same case abilities, however, items can be made exclusive to species. So they are theoretically even more endless.
Edit: Since there are 188 evolutionary lines with monotyping, for all of these species to get secondary types, there needs to be 24 types for 8 lines retconned, and 16 types for 12 lines retconned. First one would correspond to 72 years at best, and second one would correspond to 48 years at best.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How do you think Cosmoem's evolution will be determined outside of Sun and Moon games, or third versions?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
How do you think Cosmoem's evolution will be determined outside of Sun and Moon games, or third versions?

The easiest way to handle it would simply be to make it determined by the time of day you evolve it. So evolve it at night for Lunala and day for Solgaleo. I would assume the same for Rockruff into Lycanroc.

It's also possible that they continue to just make it a version exclusive evolution, and arbitrarily assign each game in a pair one of the evolutions, but that would be awkward if they ever release a true third version again.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Or unexpectedly to trigger Cosmoem's evolution, it must also require a specific item to be held on it. As what Bguy7 said, the easier path would be evolution based on time.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The farther you travel in the Ultra Space wormhole game, how much does the shiny chance go up?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Looking all the past released titles, since ORAS, the official worldwide release date has been the Friday before Black Friday. While this was an informal release for some time for late American releases, it is funny to see this is become the dominant date.

Looking at that, we can safely say that next games will be(especialy considering the annualization of main series):
Gen 8-November 22, 2019
Gen 8, second game(DPPt remakes?)-November 20, 2020
Gen 8, third game(third versions?)- November 19, 2021

I dunno when DLC Season Passes for these games will occur, but they should probably occur in Winter to Spring, since late May/early June is going to be the new news period now.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Lately I've been looking back on all the Pokemon games I've played and had an thought. I think the graphics of the older games (Gen 1 - 5) had a certain charm to them. Once the games transitioned to 3D (Gen 6 - 7) I feel some of that charm was lost. Seeing the Pokemon in full 3D battles almost looks stiff and discolored.

Anyways just my own thoughts, don't know if anyone else feels this way.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Lately I've been looking back on all the Pokemon games I've played and had an thought. I think the graphics of the older games (Gen 1 - 5) had a certain charm to them. Once the games transitioned to 3D (Gen 6 - 7) I feel some of that charm was lost. Seeing the Pokemon in full 3D battles almost looks stiff and discolored.

Anyways just my own thoughts, don't know if anyone else feels this way.

I can agree to a degree. The Pokémon sprites in battles often had unique and dynamic poses, while the 3D models were made with as simple poses and movements as possible, and often fail to convey certain characteristics of the Pokémon the the dynamic sprites allowed for. The reason for this is simply that models are harder to design than sprites, so their designs were simplified as much as possible. Also, a lot of the sprites where "snapshots" of the Pokémon in some sort of pose, which just wouldn't be practical for a continuously moving model. Even Gen V's animated sprites had much simpler poses than previous generations. That being said, I think the trade-off is worth it, and I still prefer to have an animated 3D model over a still sprite.. It's a shame to lose the dynamic poses, but I fully understand why it was done this way, and was probably for the better.

As for being discolored, you're totally right. I don't know why, but the coloring of Pokémon models in Gen VI and VII is absolutely lifeless and dull. They look just bad. The one that always bugged me the most was my favorite Pokémon, Giratina. What was once bright gold contrasted by deep black and sharp red became pale tan-yellow, dark gray-black, and dull red. It just looks bad. Starmie is another that's particularly bad. Unlike the previous part about sprite poses, this is something that did not need to happen, at least as far as I know. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to color Pokémon like this, and why it actually ended up happening. The good news is, Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee seems to have completely new textures for Pokémon, and they have much more vivid colors, so this presumably will now be a problem of the past. Can't wait until Gen VIII to see how cool a 3D model of Giratina looks with the proper colors. It will also be interesting to see Kalos and Alola Pokémon given more vivid colors, which have never had good colors to begin with.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm convinced the only real reason why Gyarados is Water/Flying is to prevent it from being totally overpowered. If it was Water/Dragon in 1st gen it would have no weaknesses since the only Dragon-type move back then did set damage. The 4x electric weakness kept it in check

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So it's readily apparent that LG Pikachu copies Red's exclusives, while LG Eevee copies Blue's.

What I just found out is that Ekans and Sandshrew were flipped. Ekans is in LGE and Sandshrew is in LGP, despite the former being in Red and the latter in Blue.

This is very likely to keep to the Alolan forms as to keep one Ice-Alolan to be in one game each.