• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Argentarus

While I personally believe the fire starter/zodiac theory, how does it confirm we’re getting Gen IV remakes?

Also, what do you think Game Freak will do if we ever get a Gen 13 or a Gen 14? After seeing Fruits Basket, the only thing I can think of is having another cat starter to represent the cat from the zodiac story, but I’m not sure what they’ll do after that

I was just using the "Sinnoh confirmed" meme. I'm barely serious about something as small as a pose being reused as evidence for remakes.
But based on previous release patterns, the Gen 4 remakes will likely be releasing in Gen 8, likely around 2020-2023.

And about design inspirations, they likely are using the zodiac as a basis and then taking artistic liberties. They can find another source of inspiration elsewhere once they run out.

(This part is just a reply to the previous replies on the theory)
Like I said above, the zodiac is a basis for the for what kind of animal it should be based on and they can take any amount of artistic liberties. With the more obscure entries for the theory, they can just take certain aspects from that zodiac animal and find an animal with similar traits.

(These ones work retroactively.)
  • Charmander and its evolutions are based on lizards with some dragon features thrown in.
  • Cyndaquil - Whole line is based on rodents or bigger mammals. Cyndaquil is also referred to as the Fire Mouse Pokemon.

(These are definitely using the zodiac format)
  • Chinchar - Primates
  • Fennekin - Foxes are a member of the biological family Canidae.

Creyk

Who are your favorite poketubers?
I have been watching a couple of weedletwineedle battle videos the past couple of days but the problem is they are very addictive.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So in the midst of controversy, I must ask.

Is there anybody else who hardly transports their main Pokemon to other games?

Like I'll do it for some legendaries or a Pokemon that could Mega Evolve, but I like to keep my main Pokemon in the games they originated in.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

Like I'll do it for some legendaries or a Pokemon that could Mega Evolve, but I like to keep my main Pokemon in the games they originated in.
Yes & no.

One of the ways I like to play Pokémon is similar to the anime & DnD where I make up a character, give them a backstory & a character arc, maybe give them a few traveling companions, and act as if they’re traveling from region to region. For the most part, I like to stick to just using Pokémon I catch in that region (each with their own personalities, backstories: & character development) and I just leave my older ones in the PC until the postgame.

I do occasionally add them to my main team, but not that often & it’s usually 1-3 pokémon at most.

Edit: I was already planning on starting fresh with a Sword & Shield after doing this with 2 other characters, though for future titles I’ll probably just use Pokémon Home as my main hub rather than the PC boxes of that specific game in order to make this work.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Most of the time transferring from a Previous Gen wasn't an option for the first play though for each game, Either due the fact, I'd needed to complete the game to unlock it, in the case of Gen 4 and 5, or in Gen 6 and 7, Bank hadn't been updated or released at that time. Given that Home won't be available until 2020, and I'll be aiming to compete 1 game this December.

While my subsequent Playthroughs may include old Pokémon, but in most cases I don't transfer alot. (In one case, I even brought two Pokémon from over from Leaf Green for a themed playthough in Pokémon White, I'm still surprised how well Unown & Luvdisc did. Luvdisc was breed on the Sevii islands, while I was catching my Unown. This was the reason why: https://www.deviantart.com/bignutter/art/Battle-Subway-192521060 )

Most of Pokémon are still in the Generation I caught them, mostly as I wanted to get a Living Dex in Each Generation, but kinda burned out Mid way though it, plus I wasn't really getting much Colosseam time required for Gen 3. Another reason was that I wanted a Mew from My Pokémon Ranch, so I needed about 1000 Pokémon in a pair of games.. I'm acutually slowly moving some of those up to Gen 5.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
One exception to what I previously said is that I took my Charizard from Leaf Green so that it could continue as a Mega Charizard X in Pokemon X.

It was Jolly nature, so I thought it could work better with physical attacks as MCX.

Argentarus

I transfer quite a bit. But this restriction doesn't bug me much.

I found in Gen 6/7 that I started to forget what I was doing with my boxes much quicker and spent much more time getting my boxes "organized", usually resulting in a sour mood because I'm wasn't battling. Gen 6 and most definitely Gen 7 would've benefitted from the LGPE box system, with an improved version of the list feature found in Pokébank. Honestly, about 400-500 pokemon is an easier amount of Pokemon to keep track of than 800-900.

Sword and Shield's lack of a complete national dex makes things easier to manage. It would trim the required amount of pokemon needed for the national dex down to a comfortable number of Pokemon (I'm hoping 300-600); so you don't have to fill as many boxes with pokemon that you might dislike.
The dex restriction and the lack of Megas & Z-Moves also freshens the metagame from the standard equipping of every gimmick from the last 2 generations and pushes competitive players to choose different teams. Mega Evos were awesome, but the nature of the mechanic makes battles so lopsided in favor of the better megas that it ensures that you'll likely see those certain pokemon most of the time when battling with other people.

EDIT: Z-Moves were also kinda Alola's thing. Alola itself is a region that has its phenomena revolving around Necrozma's light and Ultra Space energies, so having Z Crystals show up in other regions seems incredibly contrived. A random NPC could just give them to you, but then it's another gimmick item piled into a bag that would be stuffed with thousands of other gimmick items. (PC item depositing needs to come back)

But hey, we might have the full national dex by the Gen 4 remakes and/or SwSh's third version.

Last edited:

Argentarus

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Who are your favorite poketubers?
I have been watching a couple of weedletwineedle battle videos the past couple of days but the problem is they are very addictive.
I’ve only watched Weedle since the drama back in March. His videos really are addicting

Orphalesion

I never transfer Pokemon. When I play the games I like to roleplay the storyline and since each character I play in the various games is their own character, without connection to each other, it wouldn't make sense for them to share Pokemon.

But regardless, this whole cutting Pokemon shouldn't happen, for those people who like to transfer their Pokemon.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen

I transfer about a dozen or so cloned Pokemon from Emerald to Gen 4, then Gen 5 and so on. I transfer a few legendaries and hard-to-get Pokemon as well when I feel too lazy to catch them in the newer games.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

I transfer 3-6 Pokemon teams from Gens 4 all the way to gens 7 and of course the Gen 1 and 2 VC games. I like to use them in online multiplayer a lot, unranked battles of course and sometimes minigames in other generations.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Leonhart

Imagineer
This is something that I was thinking about earlier after looking at some old Pokemon sprites, but even though I preferred Silver version over Gold version since the former was my first Gen II game, I really like the Gold version sprites more than the Silver version ones. The Gold version sprites just look more dynamic and fluid compared to the stiffness of most Silver version sprites. Gyarados' sprite in particular is rather cool-looking in Gold, but looks a bit static in Silver. I really wish that Game Freak had made two sets of sprites for the other core games such as Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl, but I guess that would've been too much work for very little payoff.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Pretty disappointing in the Pokemon fanart side of things. There's a strong lack of Pokemon fanart featuring mountains. Not outside of the mountains but on the mountains where the character and his or her Pokemon look past from how far they've climbed, maybe it's morning or it's by the campfire at night and they see the vastness of valleys, other mountains, maybe towns, a forest or the sea itself. If you still can't quite picture what I'm talking about, here's a link to this music youtube video featuring mountain artwork. Pretty disappointing so far considering how far the Pokemon series has come. Maybe I haven't searched enough.

Link

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

I realize this is old, but I only transferred my main Pokemon parties and the Legends I managed to get (got the actual Shaymin event, for example, not a hacked one) until PokeBank made it really, really easy to transfer massive amounts of Pokemon.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I may be alone on this one, but it's time GF stops making Pokemon every year or two. Since they chose a path of making other games, it's impossible for Pokemon to be released every year or so. Anime will be fine( make fillers and stuff) that span for 150 episodes and focus on a game for 2-3 years. We don't need sequels/remakes. Or maybe we do by every 3-4 years. I wouldn't mind Gen 9 to come in 6-8 years, but if it's good.
I think they should do either this:
2019: SH/SW
2022: Gen 9
2025: Gen 10

Or this:
2019: SH/SW
2022: DP remakes
2025: Gen 9
2028: Remakes of BW

What destroyed SH/SW was mix of GF making other game/s and LGPE which makes tight schedule and rushing of SH/SW.