1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Golden Pure, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

It's way too early for Gen 9.. But not too early to announce a new mainline game.

Chances are we'll see Pokémon Home in action, as I expect it will be the next game out.

I certainly won't expect the full 20 minutes on a single side game.. They've rarely made a Pokémon direct without at least covering a new main series games.

2. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

Should be said we have never had a Direct that did not have a main series reveal. Like a DP remakes are possible if they are aiming for a earlier release than november for whatever reason. Sure some might say it is too soon but with them being remakes all that really needs to be is them using the same format style as SwSh so it is not like a new gen or something.

Will likely be

DP Remakes
    Home
    Maybe side game

Granted in a perfect world the side game could be Col/GoD HD port for Switch
    Would like to see the GBA era games for Switch since they had the reveal of the Gen 1 and 2 games during a Direct

I can only get excited for Detective Pikachu if the vibe is more like the movie and not the first game which was literally Blues Clues.

3. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

The logical assumption is Pokémon Home and Pokémon Sleep (Wow, saying it like that makes it sound like the next pair of main series games...), but I doubt those two relatively small titles would warrant an entire Direct all to themselves, especially since this is going to be one of the longest Pokémon Directs of all time. I highly doubt that there's going to be new mainline games announced, as it's way too early in the year. If I'm not mistaken, they've only ever announced games this early was for a new generation, not remakes or third versions, and clearly we're not ready for a new generation yet. That leaves the most likely reveal to be a new spin-off.

My completely realistic hope is Detective Pikachu 2. We already know that that's coming, so it wouldn't be crazy to see the official reveal here.

My completely unlikely but please make it happen hope is a new Mystery Dungeon. I'm still flabbergasted that we didn't get one for Gen VII, and releasing one early on in Gen VIII would help to numb the pain.

Even better, both.

What I don't want to see is another mobile game. We have way too many of those already. Give us a real game instead please.

I just hate how these things always end up at 6 in the morning my time. Why does the Pacific time zone always get the short end of the stick for these things? Not sure I want to get up ungodly early to watch what very well could be twenty minutes of talking about Home, an app that I will never touch.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  4. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

I agree with pretty much everything you said. It’s unlikely for there to be a new main series announcement so soon after the Swsh release, and iirc remakes and third versions were announced in the middle of the year (May/June), at least during the 6th and 7th generations.

I would very much like announcements for more spin-off games, specifically Switch games and NOT more mobile games, and only cover a little bit about Home and Sleep. Hopefully the direct won’t just be about those and Detective Pikachu, and there will be surprise announcements like a new Mystery Dungeon (been wanting one as well). This is a very appropriate time to introduce more spin-offs as we’re just getting into the new generation.

5. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ February 15, 2011-February 15, 2020

Didn't we get the BW sequel announcement in like January/February of 2012? Maybe there will be a sequel game for SwSh this time.

6. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I believe so, but the difference is that more than a year had passed since the release of the original B/W games at that point, so it made sense that we got the announcement of the sequels at that time. But I find it unlikely that we'd get news of Shield and Sword sequels only a few months after the originals came out.

TwilightBlade and Bolt the Cat like this.
  7. Rune Knight

Rune Knight Well-Known Member

They're gonna announce Gen 10.

wolf jani likes this.
  8. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Looking at a lot of Yvonne Birthday Fanart. Goddamn, I freaking love it. The charm, cheekiness, confidence all carried into a single smile. She really is the best version of Serena.

Rune Knight likes this.
  9. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair ベストチャンピオン。

I assume it finally puts an end to the discussion as to what generation Meltan belongs to. They are clearly listed under Galar in Pokémon of the Year vote (except etc. part):

[​IMG]

wolf jani likes this.
  10. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Honestly, since they went out of their way to put in the "etc." part, I think this shows that the Pokémon Company's official stance is that it belongs to no generation, and was put under the same category as Galar because they were just tacking it on to the end. If they considered it a Gen VIII Pokémon, then they wouldn't have bothered with the etc. This is further backed up by the fact that each region shows an image of its cover Legendaries, except Galar, which shows the Legendaries plus Meltan, emphasizing the fact that Meltan doesn't really belong.

Given that, I think the best thing to call it is a Gen 7.5 Pokémon. That way it reflects the fact that it first came out in a Gen VII game, but isn't quite an integrated part of Gen VII, and came before Gen VIII.

EDIT: Upon thinking about it further, I'm not even sure we can use this as a indicator of Pokémon Company's stance on the matter. It's very possible that the Pokémon are listed by the region they're available in, and since Meltan can't be captured in any Pokémon game, it had to be classified separately.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    wolf jani likes this.
  11. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair ベストチャンピオン。

My point was to show it lost its certainty that it no longer belongs to Alola, or Generation VII, as many people in the internet went wild with proving its in-game code, other relations with Let's Go and marketing.

Since it also has an evolution, it won't be possible to put it behind Grookey as #000 either, unlike Victini. I'd actually like if it gets expanded lore when G-Max variation of Melmetal is released.

jaden767 likes this.
  12. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Don't know if you saw my edit or not, since you didn't quote it, but the problem with this is that saying it doesn't belong with Alola isn't quite the same as saying it doesn't belong to Gen VII. This very well could simply have Meltan sorted under etc as it can't be captured in any region, but the fact still remains that it was first made available in a Gen VII game.

I'm still leaning towards a Gen 7.5 or generation-agnostic sorting for Meltan, given this new development, but I'm just not sure we can use this as absolute evidence one way or another, and personally, I am far from absolutely convinced.

13. Rune Knight

Rune Knight Well-Known Member

Can vegans eat Bellsprouts?

14. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Well, that's an oddly specific question.

I'm going to say that the answer has to do with what the vegan's reason for being a vegan is. If they're doing it for health reasons, then I would assume that Bellsprout's flesh has about the same nutritional content as plant matter. If they're doing it for moral and/or religious reasons, then probably not, as anything that make someone morally against eating an animal would apply to a Pokémon as well.

But then there's a different aspect to this question. Would Bellsprout even be eatable to begin with? Given its secondary Poison typing, and the fact that people don't tend to eat carnivorous plants in real life, I'm going to lean towards no.

Rune Knight likes this.
  15. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

To follow this up, Pokémon Home lists Meltan and Melmetal separately from both Alola and Galar, in its own category of "Unknown Origins." This essentially confirms that Meltan should not be considered either Gen VII or Gen VIII.

Of course, there's still a little bit of wiggle room, as once again the Pokémon are sorted by region, rather than generation, and the two could have different definitions in this instance.