• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
As far as lungfish go, we have Mudkip, which is based on the mudskipper.
Is that what it's based on? Well, darnit! Now I know!

You see, I'm Dutch - and 'Kip' is the Dutch word for Chicken. You must imagine the confusion when we have a Water-starter named Mudkip (aka, Mud Chicken), but it's the Fire-starter that ends up a chicken.

Also, in the Dutch language, we have the word 'Stout', and if you translate that into English, you get the word Naughty... So imagine the giggles everytime a Stoutland appears in the animé.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

You see, I'm Dutch - and 'Kip' is the Dutch word for Chicken. You must imagine the confusion when we have a Water-starter named Mudkip (aka, Mud Chicken), but it's the Fire-starter that ends up a chicken.

Also, in the Dutch language, we have the word 'Stout', and if you translate that into English, you get the word Naughty... So imagine the giggles everytime a Stoutland appears in the animé.
It works the other way too! Seismitoad's French name is Crapustule, for instance. (I don't know what is the default language for Pokémon games in your country though...the Netherlands, is it?)

Rune Knight

Theory:

Gengar is not purple because of its ghost typing...

It is actually purple because it is a poison type.

You seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. The world works in many mysterious ways. The ghost typing in particular actually has... no associated color. If you envision every ghost type pokémon you will see that the majority of them are in fact... not purple.

There are exceptions to this rule of course: such as Sableye, Drifloon and Litwick.

The poison type on the other hand is actually represented by the color purple, and one may witness this very early on throughout the course of Gen 1: Ekans, Nidoran, Venonat, Grimer, Koffing, and of course... Ghastly.

Last edited:

Monox D. I-Fly

Theory:

Gengar is not purple because of its ghost typing...

It is actually purple because it is a poison type.

You seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. The world works in many mysterious ways. The ghost typing in particular actually has... no associated color. If you envision every ghost type pokémon you will see that the majority of them are in fact... not purple.

There are exceptions to this rule of course: such as Sableye, Drifloon and Litwick.

The poison type on the other hand is actually represented by the color purple, and one may witness this very early on throughout the course of Gen 1: Ekans, Nidoran, Venonat, Grimer, Koffing, and of course... Ghastly.
I just think that purple represents malicious things, whether that is Ghost or Poison. In the TCG, both of them fall under Psychic which in the TCG is also associated with purple color.

Rune Knight

I just think that purple represents malicious things, whether that is Ghost or Poison. In the TCG, both of them fall under Psychic which in the TCG is also associated with purple color.
Yeah I think you may be right and I'm likely wrong on this one.

However, I still believe that Gengar is mainly purple because of its poison typing.

KierTronik

That is HILARIOUS. Mud chicken lol

KierTronik

My sister just said Thwackey looks like a pineapple and she is not wrong.

Pokemon Power

You know, I think the Crown Tundra just gave us a clue that Sinnoh remakes are coming up next. The places in the Crown Tundra where you can find Regirock, Regice and Registeel respectively, the Rock Peak Ruins, the Iceberg Ruins, and the Iron Ruins, share their names with the locations where you could get them with the event Regigigas in Platinum. And when you're inside, the method to awaken each of them is the same: lighting up the dots representing their faces on the floor. What do you guys think of this?

KierTronik

Huh, interesting.

Bill the Typhlosion

You know, I think the Crown Tundra just gave us a clue that Sinnoh remakes are coming up next. The places in the Crown Tundra where you can find Regirock, Regice and Registeel respectively, the Rock Peak Ruins, the Iceberg Ruins, and the Iron Ruins, share their names with the locations where you could get them with the event Regigigas in Platinum. And when you're inside, the method to awaken each of them is the same: lighting up the dots representing their faces on the floor. What do you guys think of this?
Interesting observation! It could just be a homage, but then again, I wouldn't put it past Game Freak to drop a hint like this. The fact that the Sinnoh fossil and mythical Pokemon are conspicuously absent definitely seems like a hint to me.