• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

The official Pokemon Discussion Thread V.1!

Approved by Profesco; Credit goes to me and Profesco

This thread is to discuss any particular aspects of specific Pokemon, along with your opinions on them!

You can mention anything you want about the specific Pokemon, but you must put some effort into your post. For example, telling a story about your experience with using Machamp (just an example) in competitive battling over Wi-Fi is fine, but it’s best if you describe your overall opinions about Machamp as well.

What’s not fine is making a simple post saying: "I love Machamp!!!!! yeah ;068;;068;"

I'll start this off by bringing up Scizor.

Scizor has been one of my favorite Pokemon ever since I got it in my Gold version. I even remember watching the episode where Ash battles some guy with the "perfect" Scizor with his own Scizor and actually wins. I found it to be such a cool Pokemon because of the way it evolved and looks, and even now I use it in my Emerald and SS Battle Frontier teams. Its attack and defense is great, but its HP and Speed hinders it a little. It learns great moves in the fourth gen. though, such as X-Scissor, Iron Head and Swords Dance.

Your turn!

Last edited:

Brave Bird

Chatot Fan
while I do agree scizor looks cool and all, I find it to be a tad "normal." you know its all show of aesthetics and I get it its diggable. However them machamps....oh man oh man! We are talking about buffed up pokemons able to move furniture! biceps that can crush heads! and not to mention the obvious reference to religious figures. The fact they have four hands point to a superior force beyond your usual anthropomorphic pokemons. It was the first pokemon card I ever gotten and due to a science teacher in third grade breaking it (which I will never forget :mad: ) my bond to them have increased.

metagrody6

COMO UN JEFE
Hm! you know whos an awesome pokémon? Blastiose! Because I beat the whole firered with it! Yeah! Blastiose. It shoots water from its cannons.

Zachmac

Ah, scizzor. In my opinion, one of the best competitive pokemon around. Just look for this video on wifi(5th gen) 62-87645-15445

while I do agree scizor looks cool and all, I find it to be a tad "normal." you know its all show of aesthetics and I get it its diggable. However them machamps....oh man oh man! We are talking about buffed up pokemons able to move furniture! biceps that can crush heads! and not to mention the obvious reference to religious figures. The fact they have four hands point to a superior force beyond your usual anthropomorphic pokemons. It was the first pokemon card I ever gotten and due to a science teacher in third grade breaking it (which I will never forget :mad: ) my bond to them have increased.
I actually think machamp is ugly. I prefer swifter looking pokemon, like Lucario and Mienshao.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Scizor is pretty cool XD The only one I've ever had was the Shadow Scyther from XD, but still a very helpful Pokemon in battle. From all the way back in 3rd gen through 4th and onto Black version..I even made a little trio with her for the Frontiers/Subway that includes Crawdaunt and Gliscor :3

I mostly chose them because they all have those cool pincers ^^; But the type coverage between the three of them is nice too :] They make up one of my favorite teams to use.

EDIT : ^Meinshao, in my honest opinion seems like a cross between Espeon and Lucario XD But I love it's appearence..and movepool. Definately one of my more favored fighting types. (Up there with Lucario and Infernape) I have yet to use it in battle though.

Last edited:

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
Yeah, Gliscor is pretty awesome. He looks cool and he's good in battle!:D Ever since I got one, Porygon-Z was my favorite pokemon. I don't know why I liked it so much though. I thought it was the most epic pokemon in the world when It took out a fronteir brain's Magnetzone in 2 hits!(Tri Attack and Hyper Beam) Lol, Porygon-Z looks like he has a rape face.o3o

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Yeah, Gliscor is pretty awesome. He looks cool and he's good in battle!:D Ever since I got one, Porygon-Z was my favorite pokemon. I don't know why I liked it so much though. I thought it was the most epic pokemon in the world when It took out a fronteir brain's Magnetzone in 2 hits!(Tri Attack and Hyper Beam) Lol, Porygon-Z looks like he has a rape face.o3o

Porygon-Z is epic, there's nothing scarier then faulty software. jk but my Jellicent, although an awesome pokemon, took me 111 water absorb frillish's to catch before I got the right nature. Painstaking. And its female sprite looks really dumb IMO.

Zachmac

Porygon-Z is epic, there's nothing scarier then faulty software. jk but my Jellicent, although an awesome pokemon, took me 111 water absorb frillish's to catch before I got the right nature. Painstaking. And its female sprite looks really dumb IMO.
Porygon-Z could use better speed, but both of it's abilities are great.

Get pokemon with the ability synchronize. They boost the chance of getting pokemon of the same nature as long as they are first in your party. I was able to catch feebas until I got a Modest one with good IVs in HP and Sp.att.

Anyway, what about Absol? Does anyone think nintedo didn't give it enough as it deserves? It's a panther with base 75 speed, which is just too slow for a sweeper. It's out sped by Abra and Ghastly, IIRC.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
And its female sprite looks really dumb IMO.

I love female Frillish/Jellicent :< Either way, pretty cool Pokemon :3 (because it's the PRINGLES KING XD )

Anyway, what about Absol? Does anyone think nintedo didn't give it enough as it deserves? It's a panther with base 75 speed, which is just too slow for a sweeper. It's out sped by Abra and Ghastly, IIRC.

I think it stands pretty well. It could use more speed, but I like wgat it can get :] Especially Megahorn, one of my favorite moves >D It's got a pretty cool story compared to most Pokemon too.

Flame Mistress

Jellicent freaks me out too much, I don't think I'll ever catch it... Especially the female ones... But in my opinion, they're better than Tentacruel. They don't pop out every now and then, and they are water/ghost types. That is nice.

But my all-time favourite water type pokemon will always be Vaporeon (obviously!). They're quick, they're pretty, and they're strong as well.

Larry

Swampert is my second favorite starter out of all of the games but I picked Blaziken in my first playthrough of Ruby.

Sceptile has got to be my favorite starter even though it was the last one I picked out of the 3. He's gotta be the coolest looking starter out there. I found it very challenging especially with the Flying Gym which my brother had to beat for me.

Larry

Most people pick the Fire starters for some reason.

Yeah I used to like the fire starters (for the first 3 Gens I picked fire first) but I now I always pick the water type because I like the fact that I have my surfer and Ice-Beamer early on. There's usually a dragon Gym leader or E4member that uses Dragons which makes Ice-Beam incredibly useful.

Nebbio

NINJA!
Swampert is the best of all starters. I don't get the love of fire starters. I think the trend of fire and fighting final starters is getting old.

I think Samurott is odd compared to the pre-evos. Does not look like an otter. Serperior=odd. Tepig into Pignite= wutt?

Flame Mistress

5th Gen is the only Gen whose Fire Type starter i did not like. So I chose Serperior instead, as I like speedy Pokemon.
I like Fire Type Starters because they are strong and are good attackers, with good looks as well. Except for the Tepig line, of course. But I agree, I'm sick of Fire/Fighting starters now.

Arbok4Ever

Yes, most of the fire starters are cool (Charmander, Cyndaquil and Torchic) But the last two just sucked. really, after the fire lizard, mouse and chick also a monkey and a pig? Nah. My favourite is Arbok. Its design is awesome, its moves are cool and its just Bad-***. Because you can teach it the elemental bites (Fire- Thunder- and Ice fang, and Poison fang by breeding) it is useful against a whole batch of pokemon. It can also poison with toxic and most of its other poison attacks, and paralyze with Glare. So why wouldn't you think Arbok is not a supercool Pokemon?

Profesco

gone gently
I think Samurott is odd compared to the pre-evos. Does not look like an otter. Serperior=odd. Tepig into Pignite= wutt?

I also wish Samurott had looked a bit more like Dewott. It's still cool and all, but Dewott got the looks in that family. Oshawott was born at the top of the Awkward Tree and hit every branch when it fell down.

My main problem with Samurott is that it has the most lacking movepool out of all Water starters. Empoleon, the penguin, gets Earthquake (a move available to all previous Water starters) but Samurott, the sword-wielding samurai, does not. For being a combat-based Pokemon with armored appendages and opposable digits, Samurott does not even have access to Brick Break, one of the most widespread TMs in the game.

It's almost as though they couldn't decide whether to make Samurott offensive or supportive, so they split the difference and gave it the Atk/Sp.Atk/Sp.Def of an all-out sweeper, but the movepool and HP/Def/Speed of a supporter... leading to Samurott being lacklustre in both areas rather than great in either one.

And it's high time they gave us a Water starter with a decent Speed stat. When Feraligatr's the fastest option in the category, you can start requesting a different direction be taken.

Shining Fire

A little rusty
Grass Starters all the way! Except for Gen ll. Meganium was just ugly. But I didn't get Typhlosion until I played Crystal. But then it sweeped three gyms in a row before I finally caught another pokemon, since then it's always been my fav.