• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I don't see how SS was more popular than HG when it came out in America. I liked Ho-Oh's color scheme and thought it would be more preferred. But that was just GameFAQs opinion, so I don't know about other sites.

Aegon

Usually the "sleeker" colours are preferred nowadays. Diamond was more popular than Pearl, and White was more popular than Black.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I preferred Reshiram because of the way its seemed to be being blown away by the gust of the winds its been flying. Zekrom design makes it look tough, yet refined with black.

Mijuwott

Poppstar Sunshine
I liked Reshiram from the moment I saw it I always liked the eye colors of legendary pokemon and the blue eyes with the white fur made it look soooo unique.

Miju :3

Usually the "sleeker" colours are preferred nowadays. Diamond was more popular than Pearl, and White was more popular than Black.

Or maybe it has something to do with the Pokemon that are exclusive to the games. Since Gen III I have noticed that second game(based on name) is mostly preferred. Sapphire, LeafGreen, SoulSilver and White all follow the pattern. That makes Diamond the only exception but tbh I don't know which one of those two was more popular.

And White has better Pokemon compared to Black. I am talking about fan favorites like Braviary over Mandibuzz and Reuniclus over Gothitelle.

Edit: Forgot Zekrom over Reshiram. Although I am more of a Reshiram guy, I know people prefer Zekrom. And I am not sure about the Kamis.

Last edited:

rocky505

SL is right. HGSS really shouldn't matter since you get both cover legends in the games. You just have to decide between the Latis and Groudon and Kyogre.

Phoopes

There it is.
I prefered FireRed over LeafGreen, Ruby over Sapphire, SoulSilver over HeartGold, Diamond over Pearl, and White over Black. I have all of these games, and I like one more than the other because of the version-exclusive Pokemon, not because of the colors.

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting. As for me I always prefer the third version over all of them. But ones that don't I prefer the second one after it. (Black is an exception.)
So, in short, I prefer LeafGreen over FireRed, and I prefer SoulSilver over HeartGold.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
It bothers me that Machop, Machoke, Machamp, and Mr. Mime can be female ... and Lopunny, Gardevior, Gothitelle, Gardevior can be male.
But personally Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey should be able to be male (75%/25% ratio of course). But just because it's pink and (commonly) a nurse doesn't mean it needs to be female.

Also, there are some Pokemon that seem like they should be male only by their names. SeaKING (despite Goldeen being extremely feminine looking), SlaKING (this may not actually be a king and it's just the spelling from slack), and KINGler.

I feel like the Hitmon evolutions and Sawk and Throh and the other masculine fighting types should all be male only, but they should make some female only counterparts ..

Btw, I know, I know that a lot of Pokemon have non-masculine depicting names in Japan, but still ... some of these Pokemon seem too masculine or feminine to be the opposite genders. .____.

Bulletproof

Self explanatory.
I prefer Lugia. It was easier to catch, and looks like vicious.
Went ahead & fixed that for you.
Or maybe it has something to do with the Pokemon that are exclusive to the games. Since Gen III I have noticed that second game(based on name) is mostly preferred. Sapphire, LeafGreen, SoulSilver and White all follow the pattern. That makes Diamond the only exception but tbh I don't know which one of those two was more popular.
Diamond had about 20,000 more sales than pearl.
And White has better Pokemon compared to Black. I am talking about fan favorites like Braviary over Mandibuzz and Reuniclus over Gothitelle.

Edit: Forgot Zekrom over Reshiram. Although I am more of a Reshiram guy, I know people prefer Zekrom. And I am not sure about the Kamis.

SL is right. HGSS really shouldn't matter since you get both cover legends in the games. You just have to decide between the Latis and Groudon and Kyogre.
I already had a Kyogre from Sapphire so I bought SoulSilver for Groudon. I was sad when I found out I couldn't get a Primape though.

rocky505

Okay I am going to compare each version exclusive to each other and say which game I find better of them.

Red/Blue(Also counts as Green)/FR/LG
Sandshrew/Slash- Ekans/Arbok- Okay I am for sure going with Sandslash for this one. Poison types didn't have a good stab back in gen1 but ground types did. But for FRLG I say their even so I guess a draw here.

Red/FR 0 - Blue/LG 0

Vulpix/Ninetales- Growlithe/Arcanine- Back in gen one these guys didn't really learn many moves, but later on in gen 3 it changed a little(at least for growlithe and arcanine). My vote goes to Growlithe and Aranine here.

Red/FR 1 - Blue/LG 0

Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume(Bellossom)-Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel- I like victreebel better design wise but vileplume and friends an be used to annoy the computer with random status moves. But with victreebel learning better moves I give this one to blue/LG.

Red/FR 1- Blue/LG 1

Meowth/Persian- Mankey/Primeape(They weren't exclusives in FRLG)- Alright back in gen one Persian and Meowth could learn many odd moves like bubblebeam and thunderbolt. And with persian being fast it's slash attack was very brutal. Primeape had to rely on submission for a fighting move back then though which caused recoil. This one barely goes to Blue to me.

Red/FR 1- Blue/LG 2

Syther(Scizor)-Pinsir- Really do I have to compare these? Pinsir had no reliable stab move. Scyther still had flying moves that were useful but when it goes all the way it has a few good steel moves.

Red/FR 2-Blue/LG 2

(Elekid)Electabuzz- (Magby)Magmar- Both very good pokemon IMO. Magmar had to move for some odd reason in LG and it made you catch it a bit later in game. Electabuzz could be caught right after the 5th gym! So this goes to Buzz.

Red/FR 3- Blue/LG 2

Wooper/Quagsire- (Azurill)Marill/Azumarill- Both great pokemon(Only if Azu and friends have huge power!) But with there being no physical water moves in gen 3 Quaggy wins.

Red/FR 4 - Blue/LG 2

Murkrow-Misdreavus- Same as above no special ghost moves gives Murkrow the edge.

Red/FR 5- Blue/LG 2

Shelldar/Cloyster- Staryu/Starmie(These were only exclusive in FRLG)- Depends if you want to go offensive or defensive. I am more of an offensive person though.

Red/FR 5- Blue/LG 3

Psyduck/Golduck- Slowpoke/Bro/King- Okay to me the Slowbros get this one. They are defensive and can hit hard and they get variety.

Red/FR 5- Blue/LG 4

Delibird- Sneasel- Okay this is pretty obvious Delibird sucks. Sneasel may not be able to get physical ice and dark moves but Delibird's stats are utter crap.

Red/FR 5- Blue/LG 5

Qwilfish- Remoraid/Octillery- I do find it strange these are version exclusive counterparts, but if this was gen 4 I would give this to Qwilfish since it abuses SD and physical moves but with no physical water moves it deflates.

Red/FR 5-Blue/LG 6

Skarmory- Mantine- This depends if you want a defensive Pokemon that can use physical moves well or a specially defensive pokemon who can use special moves well. Well I am going with Skarmory for one reason. It doesn't have a x4 weakness!

Red/FR 6-Blue/LG 6

Alright this decides it.

Deoxys-A- Deoxys-D- Of course you know who I am picking. I am not a defensive person. And Deoxys-A can practically OHKO things like crazy!

Red/FR 7-Blue/LG 6

Winner(To me) Red/Fr version

I will post GS/HGSS later.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while

Well the only version exclusive that was preferred for Black was Whimsicott.
White does seem like the better game because of the forest.
I might get it.

Which one Whimsicott or White?

Although I would like to have both since that way I can use both DSs for Entralink.

Whimsicott is in no way underwhelming. It has got all the right toys to play with. Whimsicott with Prankster+Leech Seed+Toxic is so annoying that I used to hate it. I had to use a Pokemon with Magic Bounce just to counter it. But now it has become a valuable asset on my team.

Last edited:
You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As
they
say in Texas. I'll bet you couldn't pour piss out of a boot with
instructions on the heel. You are a canker. A sore that won't go away.
I
would rather kiss a lawyer than be seen with you.

You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little
worm
deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad,
a
weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a
revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared
richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth
into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody,
abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and
then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same
species
as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformation. I barf at the very
thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid
you.
You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus,
the
dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell?

Try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to
impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop
will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it
more rapidly.

You snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive
its beak into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to
fly briefly before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink
shame
of your ignoble blood. May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea
of your own trite, foolish beliefs.

You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid,
nasty
and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus.
Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you. You are
unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that
reality forgot.

And what meaning do you expect your delusional self-important
statements
of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do
you
hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have
more
weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle,
waiting for the bite of the snake?

You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and
obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living
emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a
disease,
you puerile one-handed slack-jawed drooling meat slapper.

On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool. You are
deficient
in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You
are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source
of
all unpleasantness. You spread misery and sorrow wherever you go.

You smarmy lager lout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off, pillock.
You grotty wanking oink artless base-court apple-john. You clouted
boggish
foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You gormless
crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You
cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry pisshead cockup
pratting
naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted
fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are
degenerate,
noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. I
despise
everything about you, and I wish you would go away.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard
stupid.
Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond
the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are
trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far
that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no
intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on
Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire
galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll.
Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some
primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure
essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond
the laws of physics that we know. I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is
an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me
again
for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant
questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of
the rest of this drivel. Duh.

The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. I have snipped
away most of what you wrote, because, well... it didn't really say
anything. Your attempt at constructing a creative flame was pitiful.
I mean, really, stringing together a bunch of insults among a load of
babbling was hardly effective... Maybe later in life, after you have
learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more success.
True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us "normal" people take
for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we
sometimes
forget that there are "challenged" persons in this world who find these
things more difficult. If I had known that this was your case then I
would have never read your post. It just wouldn't have been "right".
Sort of like parking in a handicap space. I wish you the best of luck
in the emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a
demand on you.

P.S.:
You are hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful, cowardly,
deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable, belligerent,
opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic, bigoted,
racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged,
imbecilic,
insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous, byzantine,
conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious, splenetic,
spastic, ignorant, clueless, illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb,
evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative,
paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic,
diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive,
dim, crazy, weird, dystopic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim,
unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive,
mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive, abusive,
socially-retarded, puerile, clueless, peice of **** mother ****ign stupid ******.

GIANT HAIRY BLACK ****

Mijuwott

Poppstar Sunshine
Whimsicotis probably the best prankster that was built to annoy pokemon, but Jumpluff is still my favorite.

miju

benlo7

Trainer
I like soul silver over heart gold and platinum over diamond over pearl and white over black (If I got the other games I would get leaf green and emerald)