• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
That all depends on what game you are talking about.

BW and B2W2. and from my experience, EVs increase across an evo chain, and sometimes additional EVs are added

Palamon

Silence is Purple
B/W2 > B/W. ...In my opinion, anyway.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Who else here absolutely loves Snivy and all of it's evolutions? You can definitely tell I do just by looking at me Signature! XD Hehe...it was actually the first Pokémon I ever had! :D

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Favorite Grass starter in terms of style and design. Especially with what it get's in BW2 :3 Mainly Dragon Pulse and Aqua Tail.

It's a-lot more versatile now.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Awesome Emperor, although I am sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner (I like your avatar by the way)! ;) And I didn't know it got those attacks in BW2...I got an Oshawott in that one, and a Snivy in W1... :/

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Squirtle the Squirrel Turtle

So recently I was talking with a friend about original Pokemon games, and Squirtle came into the discussion. However, said friend claimed that Squirtle is supposedly part squirrel, due to the "squir" in it's name and it's tail.

I'd never actually heard anyone say that before and of course, I disagreed. I mean, "squir" is obviously from the word "squirt" (Squirt + Turtle), and it's tail isn't even bushy like that of a Squirrel's.

But, yeah, what does everyone else think. Is squirtle part squirrel, or is that ridiculous to think?

(Note: Looking at Wartortle, IT actually looks a lot more part squirrel than Squirtle. It has ears AND it's tail is fluffy :/ If anyone knows what Wartortle is based on, feel free to post!)

Everlasting

Everything stays.
How strange, I always thought Squirtle came from squirrel too. I don't exactly remember where I saw this but if somebody was asking me from where Squirtle comes from, I would answer squirrel and turtle too. I found it odd at first too, don't worry.
According to Bulbapedia, it's from squirt, so you are right. But I'm sure I saw squirrel somewhere, and not remembering is bothering me.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Could be both "squirt" and "squirrel". The Pokemon franchise is well known to be full of incredibly punny names.

Missingno.Fan

I have heard people claim this before, however I don't believe it. As far as I know there is no references to it being part squirrel in anything else.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
So recently I was talking with a friend about original Pokemon games, and Squirtle came into the discussion. However, said friend claimed that Squirtle is supposedly part squirrel, due to the "squir" in it's name and it's tail.

Your friend is wrong since Squirtle's Japanese name means pond turtle and is based on a sea turtle.

Regality

Digital King
Your friend is wrong since Squirtle's Japanese name means pond turtle and is based on a sea turtle.

so even the Japanese name doesn't make sense :D

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I have never seen a squirrel in Squirtle. I just always thought it was a weird-looking turtle in the game with beady eyes and nubs for hands. On my brothers' games, anyway, as I had Yellow version, so it was more like it was on the anime for me. Meanwhile, Charmander has looked like a Yoshi with a flaming tail to me.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
so even the Japanese name doesn't make sense :D

Except squirtle doesn't even have fins like a sea turtle, so it probably is based on a pond turtle.

I'm pretty sure "squirtle" sounding like "squirrel" is coincidental. Especially because it also has the word "squirt" in its name, which makes much more sense because it actually squirts with water gun. I've seen a few pictures of Japanese art depicting turtles similar to wartortle. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to remember anything about them, but I believe the original pokémon origin thread on serebii had a few links to some of such pictures.

If you ask me, this makes as much sense as assuming pikachu must be based on a pika because of its name. Actually, scratch that, it's less of a stretch, because at least someone imaginative can picture squirtle's tail as being bushy if they squint. You have to do some serious mental strains to pigeonhole a pointy-eared electric pokémon into the category of a rabbit with Mickey Mouse ears. I really think people take pokémons' names way too much into account when it comes to determining what they're based on. And people can get way too imaginative with meanings too. If there's a meaning that makes sense, there's no need to assume there's some extra double meaning which was thrown in if it barely makes sense in the first place.

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Except squirtle doesn't even have fins like a sea turtle, so it probably is based on a pond turtle.

I'm pretty sure "squirtle" sounding like "squirrel" is coincidental. Especially because it also has the word "squirt" in its name, which makes much more sense because it actually squirts with water gun. I've seen a few pictures of Japanese art depicting turtles similar to wartortle. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to remember anything about them, but I believe the original pokémon origin thread on serebii had a few links to some of such pictures.

If you ask me, this makes as much sense as assuming pikachu must be based on a pika because of its name. Actually, scratch that, it's less of a stretch, because at least someone imaginative can picture squirtle's tail as being bushy if they squint. You have to do some serious mental strains to pigeonhole a pointy-eared electric pokémon into the category of a rabbit with Mickey Mouse ears. I really think people take pokémons' names way too much into account when it comes to determining what they're based on. And people can get way too imaginative with meanings too. If there's a meaning that makes sense, there's no need to assume there's some extra double meaning which was thrown in if it barely makes sense in the first place.

This makes a lot of sense. Like you said, "squir" is much more likely to be "squirt", and like you said names can't be taken that seriously. After all, Pidove is a pigeon rather than a dove, and Psyduck, despite it's name actually highly resembles a platypus (it doesn't have wings, it has arms and claws, and it's beak is the same as a platypus beak rather than a duck beak). Migthyena, whilst it has hyena in it's name, looks more like a wolf.

The last point is, if based on a squirrel, I'd expect to see this in another translation of Squirtle's name, however in Japanese it's name is "Zenigame" which translates roughly (when broken down) to "zeni" which means money and "Kame" which means Turtle (according to this website at least http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Squirtle).

Wartortle, I have no idea what it's based on (other than a turtle) but it's more likely to be called a squirrel. However, there's still not really anything to back this up, so I wouldn't consider it one.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The last point is, if based on a squirrel, I'd expect to see this in another translation of Squirtle's name, however in Japanese it's name is "Zenigame" which translates roughly (when broken down) to "zeni" which means money and "Kame" which means Turtle (according to this website at least http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Squirtle).

It's still "pond turtle", but "money turtle" can be taken into context if one believes Squirtle are uncommon. The creators were very aware of this, as were the writers to the point in the Birth of Mewtwo CD Drama, when they're naming off Pokémon they could clone for profit, they're making puns. As quoted here:

Dr. Fuji: If we make a copy of Zenigame's genes, we've got two Zenigame.

Sakaki (Giovanni): Making money.

Dr. Fuji: We make a copy of Fushigidane (Bulbasaur, or "mystery seed"), it'll increase to two...

Sakaki: Even a seedless watermelon will grow a flower or two.

Dr. Fuji: If we make a copy with Pikachu's genes, more and more, it's mouse mathematics. (Mice multiply quickly.)

Sakaki: It's a sparkling, sparkling treasure box.

Helps that the Pokémon's Japanese names tend to have literal meanings when roughly translated, which we do the same here. The names are intentional. It's pretty much the whole Mr. Mime's gender discussion all over again, now that I think about it...