• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

nel3

Crimson Dragon
The point of that sequence was meant to one of those "there's more about the Pokémon World than we'll ever know" moments. There is no info, because there wasn't meant to be any.

TY for the reply, so they're just trolling us with info we'll never know. typical to make people stew on what may or may not be in the future for a storyline.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
TY for the reply, so they're just trolling us with info we'll never know. typical to make people stew on what may or may not be in the future for a storyline.

Trolling is not the word I would use. They're not trying to annoy us, they're not trying to trick us, and they're definitely not trying to make us think it's going to come up in a future story line. They're simply trying to make a statement about how the Pokémon World works. It makes plenty of sense when you think about it. We only see limited window of the Pokémon World through the games, or even the show, so why would the Ultra Beasts we see in the game be the only ones that exist?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

Trolling is not the word I would use. They're not trying to annoy us, they're not trying to trick us, and they're definitely not trying to make us think it's going to come up in a future story line. They're simply trying to make a statement about how the Pokémon World works. It makes plenty of sense when you think about it. We only see limited window of the Pokémon World through the games, or even the show, so why would the Ultra Beasts we see in the game be the only ones that exist?
I like to think of it as that they're trying to spark people's imagination & curiosity by showing that there are more pokemon out there than we can even comprehend. It's similar to when we all saw Ho-Oh for the first time in OS, which was meant to fill kids with a sense wonder so they can go and explore the vast mysteries of the pokemon world for themselves. The fact that it's an Ultra Beast is so that it fits with Sun & Moon's themes and elements.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I like to think of it as that they're trying to spark people's imagination & curiosity by showing that there are more pokemon out there than we can even comprehend. It's similar to when we all saw Ho-Oh for the first time in OS, which was meant to fill kids with a sense wonder so they can go and explore the vast mysteries of the pokemon world for themselves. The fact that it's an Ultra Beast is so that it fits with Sun & Moon's themes and elements.

I considered using Ho-Oh as a comparison, but the fact that Ho-Oh eventually became an actual Pokémon kind of ruins the comparison. Still, it is the same idea.

nel3

Crimson Dragon

yeah i do agree that trolling is too strong of a term in that sense but it did give me a slight interest if there actually was a pic of said ultra beast in the episode. its just an interesting topic to make the neurons fire off for a bit longer about that mystery.

Siddhar

Transcend
What do you mean by "overly focus on circles"? Are you perhaps confusing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon with Pokemon Ranger? I do hope that we'll get a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon installment for the Switch, though. I still need to finish Super Mystery Dungeon first, but I'm eager to see the new Gen VIII Pokemon involved in a future Mystery Dungeon game.
Oh, sorry for the late reply! I meant Gates to Infinity. Also, yeah, a gen VIII Mystery Dungeon will be really awesome. And in my opinion, a mystery dungeon game in General has better storytelling than the regular Pokémon games.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Dont know why but I just dont have any excitement for any of the spinoff games recently announced (Ex. Snap 2, Unite, Detective Pikachu 2, Cafe, etc...)

I purchased PMD: Rescue Team DX mostly out of nostalgia before the COVID-19 lockdowns and still haven't played it. Maybe I've just grown out of needing to play everything related to Pokemon...
Maybe. Try taking a break for awhile and see how you feel later.

Bill the Typhlosion

Dont know why but I just dont have any excitement for any of the spinoff games recently announced (Ex. Snap 2, Unite, Detective Pikachu 2, Cafe, etc...)

I purchased PMD: Rescue Team DX mostly out of nostalgia before the COVID-19 lockdowns and still haven't played it. Maybe I've just grown out of needing to play everything related to Pokemon...

I've actually never really managed to get into any of the spin-off games, except for Pinball RS, which I love. I've tried to play Mystery Dungeon a few times but I find the gameplay too repetitive.

iiskribbli

cool kid but not cool and not a kid
Empoleons design is just so, sleek and majestic. It just gives off this like, formal, royal feel. Like, the tuxedo bird is actually wearing a tuxedo.

Whenever i get the chance, piplup is my starter, wby guys?

D

Deleted member 384931

Is it me or has pokemon fallen in 1 negative spiral. Anime is hated, pokemon unite too, IOA wasnt amazing

NeedsAName

Is it me or has pokemon fallen in 1 negative spiral. Anime is hated, pokemon unite too, IOA wasnt amazing

HAHAHAHAHA... Sorry, but there has always been a giant mass-hatred for all recent Pokémon media by the fanbase. It was famously big for Gen 5, but after several years, people accepted it was a flawed-but-overall-good addition to the Pokémon franchise. This keeps occurring with every game, every season of the anime, a lot of side games, where a very vocal part of the community consistently rants for a year or so, then gets quiet.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad

Personally I feel the series started going downhill after Pokemon Go came out in 2016. I never understood its appeal or mass popularity since I dont like phone games. It wasn't until LGPE were released that I started seeing the drop in quality. Fact is it's another Kanto remake with features of Go, a combination of things I dislike. Pokemon Journeys is the final nail in the coffin since its essentially Pokemon Go the anime with very little to do with SWSH.

I'm dissatisfied with how Pokemon Go has become the new focus of the series. I prefer the main series games since I can actually go on an adventure by capturing and battling Pokemon.

Rune Knight

I have a sort of rather... bizarre theory regarding the starters, but I have to break it down.

• As of Generation 8, there are three variations of lizard-like starters: Charmander, Treecko, and Sobble.
  • As of Generation 6, there are three variations of rodent-like starters: Cyndaquil, Oshawott, and Chespin.
  • As of Generation 7, there are three variations of bird-like starters: Torchic, Piplup, and Rowlet.
You with me so far?
  • As of Generation 8, there are two variations of monkey-like starters: Chimchar, and Grookey.
So I believe that based on this, we are bound to get a Water-Type Monkey in a future generation.
  • As of Generation 5, there is one variation of a snake-like starter: Snivy.
The chinese zodiac indicates that there will be a fire-type snake, so I believe that we are also bound to get a water-type snake in the future.
  • As of Generation 4, there are two variations of turtle-like starters: Squirtle, and Turtwig.
Since there is no turtle in the Chinese Zodiac, I don't think that there will be a Fire-Type turtle, or at least within generations 9-12.
  • As of Generation 6, there are two variations of frog-like starters: Bulbasaur, and Froakie.
Since there is no frog in the Chinese Zodiac, I don't think that there will be a Fire-Type frog, or at least within generations 9-12.

So my prediction is: a Water-Type Monkey, and a Water-Type Snake, along with fire-types of all of the remaining zodiac animals somewhere down the line. I also believe that this will happen by generation 12 since I believe it to be end-point for the first cycle of pokémon games, and that beyond that a reboot of the franchise is imminent. Of course this is all just a theory.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
You can do both in Pokemon Go, though I heard that the Battle feature is still relatively new.
The battling system Go uses is very different from the main series games; it's much, much, much shallower. It probably appeals more to the average mobile gamer than a fairly complex system that involves memorizing the mechanics of hundreds of moves, the base stats of hundreds of Pokemon, and all the various interactions of moves and abilities as well as building your own strategies with these components (and that's not even delving into the psychological aspects of competitive battling such as reading your opponent and making accurate predictions), but I don't think Go appeals much to people who enjoy battling in the mainstream series; it certainly doesn't to me.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I have a sort of rather... bizarre theory regarding the starters, but I have to break it down.

• As of Generation 8, there are three variations of lizard-like starters: Charmander, Treecko, and Sobble.
  • As of Generation 6, there are three variations of rodent-like starters: Cyndaquil, Oshawott, and Chespin.
  • As of Generation 7, there are three variations of bird-like starters: Torchic, Piplup, and Rowlet.
You with me so far?
  • As of Generation 8, there are two variations of monkey-like starters: Chimchar, and Grookey.
So I believe that based on this, we are bound to get a Water-Type Monkey in a future generation.
  • As of Generation 5, there is one variation of a snake-like starter: Snivy.
The chinese zodiac indicates that there will be a fire-type snake, so I believe that we are also bound to get a water-type snake in the future.
  • As of Generation 4, there are two variations of turtle-like starters: Squirtle, and Turtwig.
Since there is no turtle in the Chinese Zodiac, I don't think that there will be a Fire-Type turtle, or at least within generations 9-12.
  • As of Generation 6, there are two variations of frog-like starters: Bulbasaur, and Froakie.
Since there is no frog in the Chinese Zodiac, I don't think that there will be a Fire-Type frog, or at least within generations 9-12.

So my prediction is: a Water-Type Monkey, and a Water-Type Snake, along with fire-types of all of the remaining zodiac animals somewhere down the line. I also believe that this will happen by generation 12 since I believe it to be end-point for the first cycle of pokémon games, and that beyond that a reboot of the franchise is imminent. Of course this is all just a theory.

One thing to say: Oshawott is based on the otter, which is not a rodent, but a weasel. Cyndaquil may be based on a porcupine, which is a rodent. However, it might rather be based on the hedgehog, whose closest relatives are shews and moles (who are not rodents).

Rune Knight

One thing to say: Oshawott is based on the otter, which is not a rodent, but a weasel. Cyndaquil may be based on a porcupine, which is a rodent. However, it might rather be based on the hedgehog, whose closest relatives are shews and moles (who are not rodents).

Before I posted this, I quick googled searched to see if sea otters were rodents and saw an answer saying "yes" so I assumed it while questioning its authenticity.

In the wake of this error I thought that maybe since Chespin is based off of a Hedgehog and Cyndaquil is based off of an Echidna both alluding to Sonic and Knuckles , the third variation could be a Water-Type Porcupine or something belonging to the same family of animals, which I don't know if they are but they look similar.