• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Before I posted this, I quick googled searched to see if sea otters were rodents and saw an answer saying "yes" so I assumed it while questioning its authenticity.

In the wake of this error I thought that maybe since Chespin is based off of a Hedgehog and Cyndaquil is based off of an Echidna both alluding to Sonic and Knuckles , the third variation could be a Water-Type Porcupine or something belonging to the same family of animals, which I don't know if they are but they look similar.
Porcupines are rodents, but hedgehogs are a different type of mammal called Eulipotyphla, related to moles and shrews.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Before I posted this, I quick googled searched to see if sea otters were rodents and saw an answer saying "yes" so I assumed it while questioning its authenticity.

In the wake of this error I thought that maybe since Chespin is based off of a Hedgehog and Cyndaquil is based off of an Echidna both alluding to Sonic and Knuckles , the third variation could be a Water-Type Porcupine or something belonging to the same family of animals, which I don't know if they are but they look similar.

I see. Whoever said that otters are rodents need to get their cookies taken away from them, because otters are as close to rodents as pigs are to humans. They're small, fuzzy, and cute, but they are definitely not rodents. (For the record, weasels and other mustelids are a clade of Caniformes, meaning their closest relatives are dogs and doglike creatures, such as bears, skunks, raccoons, and badgers.)

Cyndaquil could definitely be based on an echidna, which would be interesting. Echidnas, for the record, are monotremes, a clade of marsupials who lay eggs. Their closest relative is the platypus, the only other non-extinct monotreme. Since they're marsupials, the next closest relatives are kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, wombats, and opossums. (Porcupines, hedgehogs, and echidnas all having backs covered in still hard quills are an example of convergent evolution, where the same or similar adaptations have evolved independently of each other. Carnivorous plants are the widest example of convergent evolution, with at least 115 instances of plants having evolved a means to catch animals, often in the exact same way.)

Last edited:

Rune Knight

They have quills! So I think that based on this pattern there will be a third starter with quills that is a water type, I guess not really a rodent but whatever close enough.

Whats-The-Difference.jpg

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Cyndaquil could definitely be based on an echidna, which would be interesting. Echidnas, for the record, are monotremes, a clade of marsupials who lay eggs. Their closest relative is the platypus, the only other non-extinct monotreme.
Now you mention it, a Water starter based on a platypus would be great, you could even make it Water/Poison in reference to the real platypus' stinger.

Monox D. I-Fly

They have quills! So I think that based on this pattern there will be a third starter with quills that is a water type, I guess not really a rodent but whatever close enough.

Whats-The-Difference.jpg
Well, they usually just used plain water animal as a water starter with the only exception was the most recent Sobble which is based on a chameleon. So I guess if they do want to make a Water starter off an animal with quills, my best guess is a simple Water/Poison sea urchin.

Rune Knight

Well, they usually just used plain water animal as a water starter with the only exception was the most recent Sobble which is based on a chameleon. So I guess if they do want to make a Water starter off an animal with quills, my best guess is a simple Water/Poison sea urchin.

Darn. We've already had like 2 sea urchins in the last 2 generations. I think that a platypus works and fits best in the context of my theory, and that takes priority.

Lindseey

trouble trouble trouble trouble
you know what i could use another pokemon of another penguin

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
After rewatching the Pokemon Direct from earlier today I gotta say the music video is still my favorite part. Since it showcases aspects from every generation it reminded me of why I love this series. It's about going on an lifetime adventure with these amazing creatures and vast world to explore!

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

More specifically, except for Sobble, they've all been based on amphibious animals (not necessarily amphibians, just animals adapted to living on both land and in the water). Even then, however, the Sobble line carries elements of basilisks (the real-life kind, not the mythological creature), a lizard that runs ON the water.

Hence, I do believe whatever Water-type starter comes next will be based on an animal adapted for living both terrestrially and aquatically.

Orphalesion

Octopi can travel over land in a limited fashion. I mean we already have a couple of octopus pokemon. But we also have a buttload of dogs and cats etc.
I think an octopus-based Water Starter could be quite interesting. We don't quite have a "Release the Kraken!" Pokemon yet, and this could produce one.

Or a lung-fish water starter! With that they could also do a bit of "life coming out of the ocean" theme throughout the line, with the first stage looking very aquatic with tiny, tiny fin-feet, and the final stage looking more comfortable on land?

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Octopi can travel over land in a limited fashion. I mean we already have a couple of octopus pokemon. But we also have a buttload of dogs and cats etc.
I think an octopus-based Water Starter could be quite interesting. We don't quite have a "Release the Kraken!" Pokemon yet, and this could produce one.

Or a lung-fish water starter! With that they could also do a bit of "life coming out of the ocean" theme throughout the line, with the first stage looking very aquatic with tiny, tiny fin-feet, and the final stage looking more comfortable on land?

Would Malamar count as a kraken even though it's not water type?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

As far as lungfish go, we have Mudkip, which is based on the mudskipper.