• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
As far as lungfish go, we have Mudkip, which is based on the mudskipper.

Is that what it's based on? Well, darnit! Now I know!

You see, I'm Dutch - and 'Kip' is the Dutch word for Chicken. You must imagine the confusion when we have a Water-starter named Mudkip (aka, Mud Chicken), but it's the Fire-starter that ends up a chicken.

Also, in the Dutch language, we have the word 'Stout', and if you translate that into English, you get the word Naughty... So imagine the giggles everytime a Stoutland appears in the animé.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

You see, I'm Dutch - and 'Kip' is the Dutch word for Chicken. You must imagine the confusion when we have a Water-starter named Mudkip (aka, Mud Chicken), but it's the Fire-starter that ends up a chicken.

Also, in the Dutch language, we have the word 'Stout', and if you translate that into English, you get the word Naughty... So imagine the giggles everytime a Stoutland appears in the animé.

It works the other way too! Seismitoad's French name is Crapustule, for instance. (I don't know what is the default language for Pokémon games in your country though...the Netherlands, is it?)

Rune Knight

Theory:

Gengar is not purple because of its ghost typing...

It is actually purple because it is a poison type.

You seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. The world works in many mysterious ways. The ghost typing in particular actually has... no associated color. If you envision every ghost type pokémon you will see that the majority of them are in fact... not purple.

There are exceptions to this rule of course: such as Sableye, Drifloon and Litwick.

The poison type on the other hand is actually represented by the color purple, and one may witness this very early on throughout the course of Gen 1: Ekans, Nidoran, Venonat, Grimer, Koffing, and of course... Ghastly.

Last edited:

Monox D. I-Fly

Theory:

Gengar is not purple because of its ghost typing...

It is actually purple because it is a poison type.

You seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. The world works in many mysterious ways. The ghost typing in particular actually has... no associated color. If you envision every ghost type pokémon you will see that the majority of them are in fact... not purple.

There are exceptions to this rule of course: such as Sableye, Drifloon and Litwick.

The poison type on the other hand is actually represented by the color purple, and one may witness this very early on throughout the course of Gen 1: Ekans, Nidoran, Venonat, Grimer, Koffing, and of course... Ghastly.

I just think that purple represents malicious things, whether that is Ghost or Poison. In the TCG, both of them fall under Psychic which in the TCG is also associated with purple color.

Rune Knight

I just think that purple represents malicious things, whether that is Ghost or Poison. In the TCG, both of them fall under Psychic which in the TCG is also associated with purple color.

Yeah I think you may be right and I'm likely wrong on this one.

However, I still believe that Gengar is mainly purple because of its poison typing.

KierTronik

Oshawott is bab

That is HILARIOUS. Mud chicken lol

Pokemon Power

You know, I think the Crown Tundra just gave us a clue that Sinnoh remakes are coming up next. The places in the Crown Tundra where you can find Regirock, Regice and Registeel respectively, the Rock Peak Ruins, the Iceberg Ruins, and the Iron Ruins, share their names with the locations where you could get them with the event Regigigas in Platinum. And when you're inside, the method to awaken each of them is the same: lighting up the dots representing their faces on the floor. What do you guys think of this?

Bill the Typhlosion

You know, I think the Crown Tundra just gave us a clue that Sinnoh remakes are coming up next. The places in the Crown Tundra where you can find Regirock, Regice and Registeel respectively, the Rock Peak Ruins, the Iceberg Ruins, and the Iron Ruins, share their names with the locations where you could get them with the event Regigigas in Platinum. And when you're inside, the method to awaken each of them is the same: lighting up the dots representing their faces on the floor. What do you guys think of this?

Interesting observation! It could just be a homage, but then again, I wouldn't put it past Game Freak to drop a hint like this. The fact that the Sinnoh fossil and mythical Pokemon are conspicuously absent definitely seems like a hint to me.

PokéIce

It was the exact same in BW2 so I think that's just the general way they include the Regis if they're outside Hoenn

WalesNote

What other types could be introduced to the series? What do you think about triple typing?

Cosmic type would be nice.
I've seen others suggest magic, cyber, light, sound.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Triple typing I'm torn on. In some cases it would be useful, but it makes me worry it'd be over-used to a point of over-complicating the game.

"Cosmic" typing is covered by Psychic but could probably be filtered into a separate type, I guess. "Magic" is covered by Psychic and Fairy. Fairy also covers light. Those two types would be unnecessary, and so would Sound, which is already a tag attached to several moves and that is perfectly fine. What need would we have for "cyber" at this juncture, anyway? What would this cover? Computer-related things? Porygon? Wait to do this until there's a need for it for more than one Pokemon, it's not 1996 anymore. Attacks themed around machinery are already covered by Steel. So basically: meh.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Triple typing I'm torn on. In some cases it would be useful, but it makes me worry it'd be over-used to a point of over-complicating the game.

"Cosmic" typing is covered by Psychic but could probably be filtered into a separate type, I guess. "Magic" is covered by Psychic and Fairy. Fairy also covers light. Those two types would be unnecessary, and so would Sound, which is already a tag attached to several moves and that is perfectly fine. What need would we have for "cyber" at this juncture, anyway? What would this cover? Computer-related things? Porygon? Wait to do this until there's a need for it for more than one Pokemon, it's not 1996 anymore. Attacks themed around machinery are already covered by Steel. So basically: meh.

Around Generation IV or so, I was thinking that Pokémon needed an 18th type, one that would be weak to Poison and strong against Dragon. I predicted such a type would eventually be made, but I also predicted it would be the "Magic" type (for various complicated reasons, but the most straightforward one was that Magic, as a type, wouldn't overlap excessively with any existing type at the time and had the potential to be as populated and diverse as any other type).

That aside, I also predicted Magic-type attacks would also be super-effective against Normal (and likewise the other way around) and not-very-effective against Ice...

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
That aside, I also predicted Magic-type attacks would also be super-effective against Normal (and likewise the other way around) and not-very-effective against Ice...
That said, Ice really needs something defensively. It's weak to three of the best attacking types (and one of the former worst...) and resists only itself. I feel like this murders a lot of its viability, and by extension, makes hail strategies SUPER weak.

NeedsAName

That said, Ice really needs something defensively. It's weak to three of the best attacking types (and one of the former worst...) and resists only itself. I feel like this murders a lot of its viability, and by extension, makes hail strategies SUPER weak.

I'd suggest one of two things for Ice
  • Make it super-effective against a fifþ type, maybe Poison because of frozen germs
  • Give it an immunity, maybe to Flying since you can barely fly at all in bad snowstorms
I'd be okay wiþ eiþer, but would prefer a 5þ type weak to Ice

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

Depends on the rules, I find. Resistances play the biggest role in switching, but in a format where switching is rare to nonexistent, most notably VGC-style double battling, I see Ice-types come up there fairly often. Currently, the Japanese metagame for Ranked Sword & Shield battling often uses Lapras, Eiscue, Vanilluxe, Arctozolt, Glaceon, Glastrier, and Alolan Ninetales. (Oddly, the usual suspects for the Ice-type in western metagames--Galarian Darmanitan, Mamoswine, and Weavile--are almost completely absent from the Japanese one.)

I think the lasting presence of Ice-types used by Japanese players is the reason why nothing has been done to increase the number of resistances--because Japanese players aren't really seeing it as a problem. More pressing are the number of weaknesses, as that makes it more likely the opponent has something that can hit them for super-effective damage. To that extent, types with five weaknesses, like Rock and Grass (but not together), type combinations with more than five weaknesses (with the exception of Tyranitar), and type combinations with multiple x4 weaknesses (with the exceptions of Coalossal and Stakataka, though Aggron is rising up), see far less representation from these same players.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Just wanted to point out that Pokémon came up in today's Jeopardy! once again. The category was "Video Games," and the $400 clue was:

Hey, trainers! Take on Gym Leaders of the Galar region for your next big battle in this series that offers "Sword" and "Shield."

No one even attempted to answer this one. The $1000 (bottom) clue pertained to a fellow Switch game, which no one could answer either:

In 2020 it was time to find some 'New Horizons' & build your own island paradise with this Nintendo Switch game.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

The woman in the middle was even shaking her head in an "I have NO CLUE" manner.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Given what Pokemon are capable of, a mother specimen of any mammalian species can fiercely defend young that are threatened, even those Pokemon where their real-life counterparts aren't really capable of doing so.

For instance, a real mother mouse can't defend against predators, but a mother Pikachu can, discharging huge amounts of electricity. Even humans can be seen as threats (both in real life and the Pokemon world).